Advertisements


Capitol, police agree to augment tourist police

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Cebu Provincial government and the provincial police on Monday, October 26, 2020, agreed to augment police officers in tourist spots in the province if it meant reinforcing health protocols in tourist sites and establishments here. “What we need is an augmentation for tourism officers… Tourist police are duly recognized by […] The post Capitol, police agree to augment tourist police appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerOct 26th, 2020

Protesting Trump supporters reject results, allege conspiracy

While the streets of many American cities erupted in joy Saturday at the news of Joe Biden’s victory in the presidential election, hardcore Donald Trump supporters refused to accept the result, alleging fraud and conspiracy. Trump supporters protested in Phoenix, Arizona and other American cities on November 7, 2020 after Joe Biden was elected US president (AFP/ MANILA BULLETIN) In cities including Phoenix, Philadelphia and Atlanta, the outgoing president’s loyalists gathered under the slogan of #StopTheSteal, repeating Trump’s unfounded allegations that Biden’s win was based on cheating. They wore red Trump hats, held signs reading “Stop The Steal” and waved American flags or Trump banners bearing the slogan: “Keep America Great.” The scenes were familiar to anyone who has attended or tuned in to a Trump rally. Hundreds gathered in front of the Arizona state capitol building in Phoenix, Arizona, some with their dogs dressed in Trump shirts. “I think they’re way too early,” said Donna McCollum, a retired 77-year-old who said she can trace her family history back to the American revolution. “The electoral college is the one to decide. And that has not been decided just yet. And there’s a lot of fraud here. It needs to be either redone totally or recounted.” She added: “Look at these people out here. There’s no way Biden won Arizona.” Two news organizations have projected Biden as the winner in Arizona, but others have been more cautious with the vote totals close and counting continuing. But either way, Biden has already obtained more than enough electoral votes to win, according to US media projections based on vote counts. – ‘Ground zero for cheating’ – Pennsylvania and its 20 electoral votes was the state that put him over the 270 needed for victory, and Trump supporters there also baselessly alleged fraud, following the lead of the outgoing president. In Philadelphia, the biggest city in Pennsylvania, around 40 Trump supporters were outside a convention center where counting had been underway, blasting hard rock and staples of Trump rallies like “YMCA” and “God Bless the USA.” Nearby Biden supporters were happily dancing to the same music. “This is ground zero for cheating in this election. I thought it was important to be here,” said Steve Padgett, a 57-year-old who works in sales. Sophia Rotunno, a 52-year-old administrative worker, said: “I have faith that our President Donald Trump did win a fair election.” “But the Democrats are not allowing a fair election to be had,” she said, falsely. “So I feel it has to go to the courts.” Despite his loss, Trump inspired a fervent, loyal following among many in the United States as he shattered norms with his bombastic populism. But there was also a darker side to some of his support that Trump could at times encourage by retweeting conspiracy theories and declining to forcefully condemn white supremacy. With the election occurring at a fevered time that has seen waves of protests over the police killing of minorities and Trump often inflaming tensions, there had been fears of election-related violence in some cities. But those fears have not been realized, and many supporters from both sides on Saturday appeared intent on keeping the peace. – ‘Too much smoke’ – On Saturday afternoon, a group of Biden supporters in Atlanta were armed — which is legal in Georgia — as they stood across from a pro-Trump protest, but there had been no violence. Trump supporters have regularly shown up at rallies armed, but guns could not be seen among Saturday’s pro-Trump crowd in Atlanta. “There’s too much smoke and some fire in a lot of places,” said Huff Croxton, a 51-year-old who wore an American flag as a cape, referring to groundless allegations of electoral fraud. “I want to see all this settled out and let’s see at the end who wins. And if Biden wins fair and square, then I’ll jump on board with the media.” In Phoenix, Shannon Morris, a 51-year-old trauma recovery life coach, said she would “fight” for Trump, but in a “peaceful way.” “I think that Trump fought for our country, and I’m going to fight for him,” she said. “Not in an inappropriate way, in a peaceful way, in a good way, in an honest way. I want my voice heard. It’s wrong to win elections by fraud.”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsNov 8th, 2020

P1.6M shabu seized, 2 HVIs nabbed in 2 Cebu City drug busts

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Police in Cebu City confiscated an estimated P1.6 million suspected shabu and arrested two high value individuals  (HVIs) in two separate buy-bust operations in two days. The latest to fall was Jefferson Solon, 25, of Villalon Drive, Barangay Capitol Site, Cebu City, who was caught with 120 grams of suspected shabu […] The post P1.6M shabu seized, 2 HVIs nabbed in 2 Cebu City drug busts appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 5th, 2020

Canada sword attacker kills two 

QUEBEC CITY, Canada — The sword-wielding attacker dressed in medieval costume who killed two people and injured five others in a Halloween rampage in Quebec City was “not associated with a terrorist group,” Canadian police said Sunday. The attacks occurred Saturday night in multiple locations in the Old Quebec neighborhood, near the tourist hotspot Chateau Frontenac and […] The post Canada sword attacker kills two  appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsNov 2nd, 2020

CPPO chief eyes task force for tourist spots

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Police Colonel Alladin Collado, Cebu Police Provincial Office chief, plans to create a task force specifically for tourist spots in Cebu province to be able to closely monitor the activities amid the ongoing fight against COVID-19. This idea stemmed from photos that circulated online showing several tourists in Bantayan Island allegedly […] The post CPPO chief eyes task force for tourist spots appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 25th, 2020

Roque to Congress: Consult Palace on increasing budget for vaccines

Any congressional move to raise the proposed 2021 budget for the coronavirus vaccine should at least be done in consultation with the Executive branch, according to a Palace official.  Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque (RESIDENTIAL PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN) Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said while they respect Congress’ wisdom to hike the vaccine budget for the next year, the issue on its funding source must also be addressed. “The power of purse is vested in Congress. We will bow to the wisdom of Congress should they deem it fit to increase the budget for the vaccine, and of course, may pagkukuhanan po iyan (there will be a funding source for that),” he said during a Palace press briefing Thursday. “So we hope that Congress will at least confer with the Executive kung saan nila kukunin iyong pondo para itaas ang budget for the vaccine (on where the funds will be obtained to raise the budget for the vaccine),” he added. Nonetheless, Roque affirmed the administration’s resolve to ensure the country has adequate funds for the vaccine procurement once the life-saving drug becomes available.“We join Congress in our desire that we should have sufficient funds to pay for the vaccine, which according po to (Philippine) Ambassador (to China) Chito (Sta. Romana) is really forthcoming in the near future,” he said.The House of Representatives has reportedly introduced several amendments to its approved 2021 national budget, including a higher budget for the purchase of COVID vaccines to P8 billion.  In the original Palace-backed P4.5 trillion national budget proposal, at least P2.5 billion has been allocated for the COVID-19 vaccination program under the Department of Health’s budget. House Majority Leader Martin Romualdez, who leads a small group in charge of amendments to the budget bill, said the additional P5.5 billion to augment the vaccine budget aims to ensure safe and effective vaccine will be available to Filipinos. “This is to support President Rodrigo Duterte’s program to strengthen the country’s health care system. We believe that vaccines play a very crucial role in keeping the population safe and healthy from the pandemic,” the Leyte lawmaker said.  On the part of the Senate, Senator Panfilo Lacson disclosed plans to increase funding for the coronavirus vaccine under the proposed 2021 national budget. Last week, the President said the government has the funds to buy the coronavirus vaccine once it is available but would need more money to vaccinate all Filipinos. Duterte earlier vowed to give priority to the poor, the police and military personnel in the distribution of free vaccines.  He said the country will buy the most affordable vaccine to be sold in the market given the government’s limited resources. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 22nd, 2020

PNP to assist visitors in tourist spots

The Philippine National Police is assuring people who will visit Boracay Island and other tourist destinations that police will only assist tourists and not interfere with their activities......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 1st, 2020

Former tourist van driver with P3.4 million worth of illegal drugs arrested in Cebu City

CEBU CITY, Philippines — A former tourist van driver was arrested in an operation conducted by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency in Central Visayas (PDEA-7) and Regional Police Drug Enforcement Unit (RPDEU) in Sitio Univille, Barangay Kasambagan, Cebu City on Thursday evening, August 27, 2020. Authorities identified the suspect as Nel Sidra Mayor, who is […] The post Former tourist van driver with P3.4 million worth of illegal drugs arrested in Cebu City appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 28th, 2020

Two Lanao Norte clans agree to settle rido

TUBOD, Lanao del Norte — The Provincial Government of Lanao del Norte facilitated the settlement of the dispute between the Mangondawis and Manamparan family from the Municipality of Nunungan.  RIDO SETTLEMENT — Members of the clans of Manamparan and Mangondawis pledge over Qur’an to end their disputes. The two clans agreed to put an end to their misunderstanding by signing the Covenant of Peace and Reconciliation  on August 19 at the Mindanao Civic Center Gymnasium  in the town of Tubod. Their rido (clan war) started four years ago.  Nunungan Mayor Marcos Mamay said his town is known to be the capital  of rido in Lanao del Norte and cited how he exerted efforts to settle the family feud by closely coordinating with the police, military, and provincial leaders.  “It has been part of our advocacy in promoting peace in believing that development is the new language of peace,” he said.  Mamay said he already settled more than 30  family feuds while the Manamparan and Mangondawis settlement is the second on the provincial level. “It’s not just a responsibility but obligation on my part to make a move  to settle the differences”, Mamay said.  The settlement was witnessed by Brig. Gen. Facundo O. Palafox IV, Commander of the 2nd Mechanized Infantry Battalion, and Police Provincial Director Col. Rolindo Suguilon. Palafox  said the Philippine Army continues to be very active in helping the LGUs in settling ridos in the province. He added that when family feuds are not settled, criminality will be the main problem that the province will face. Lanao del Norte Gov. Imelda “Angging” Quibranza-Dimaporo hopes the rido settlement will bring development to Nunungan town. She also shared that an international company is interested in doing business in the town which can bring employment opportunities to the residents......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 20th, 2020

As Cebu tourism reopens, police asks public to follow health protocols

CEBU CITY, Philippines –As Cebu gets ready to reopen its tourism industry, the police in the province is also gearing up to watch over tourist sites and make sure health protocols will be followed at all times. This is what Police Colonel Roderick Mariano, chief of the Cebu Police Provincial Office (CPPO), said as the […] The post As Cebu tourism reopens, police asks public to follow health protocols appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 20th, 2020

Cocaine peddler nabbed in Siargao

  BY MIKE U. CRISMUNDO   *   CAMP COL. RAFAEL C. RODRIGUEZ, Butuan City – A tourist guide in Gen. Luna, Siargao Island was arrested for allegedly peddling cocaine on Tuesday. Caraga police director Police Brig. Gen. Joselito T. Esquivel Jr. said the suspect, whose identity was temporarily withheld pending the arrest of his […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJul 17th, 2020

18 Consolacion cops under isolation after 1 cop tested positive of COVID-19

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Eighteen policemen of the Consolacion Police Station are isolated at the police station after one of the policemen, who was deployed to the town to augment the town’s police force, tested positive of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The Consolaction Police Station was immediately put under lockdown late night on Friday, […] The post 18 Consolacion cops under isolation after 1 cop tested positive of COVID-19 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 27th, 2020

Tourist police ikakalat sa mga sakop ng MGCQ

Inatasan ni Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief General Archie Francisco Gamboa si PNP Directorate for Operations director Police Major Gen. Emmanuel Licup na i-reactivate ang tourist police sa mga lugar na nasa ilalim ng modified General Community Quarantine (MGCQ)......»»

Category: newsSource:  abanteRelated NewsJun 26th, 2020

PNP to send 100 cops to augment Cebu City ECQ

The Philippine National Police is fielding a 100-strong police augmentation force to Central Visayas in support of ongoing operations to enforce the Enhanced Community Quarantine in the region particularly in Metro Cebu where a spike in COVID-19 cases was recorded recently by DOH......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 18th, 2020

Closely inspect all incoming vehicles, Capitol urges PNP, LGUs

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia has directed police and local officials to closely inspect and require drivers and passengers of all vehicles trying to access parts of the province to present the necessary documents. This after Garcia disclosed that she received reports of individuals, who are not part of Cebu’s list of […] The post Closely inspect all incoming vehicles, Capitol urges PNP, LGUs appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 18th, 2020

Capitol to shoulder P500k insurance for all provincial police

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Cebu provincial government will shoulder the insurance policy for all police personnel in Cebu province. Governor Gwendolyn Garcia, in a press conference on Thursday, April 16, 2020, said the move is to show “appreciation” to the contribution of the police in enforcing the enhanced community quarantine protocols in the province. […] The post Capitol to shoulder P500k insurance for all provincial police appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 16th, 2020

Capitol to file case vs curfew-cursing rapper

CEBU CITY, Philippines — A public apology will not erase the “violation” of Jean Brandon Perang, the rapper who cursed at the government for implementing curfew and claimed that they held a rap battle despite the prohibition on social gatherings. On Tuesday afternoon, March 24, 2020, Perang was escorted by Police Colonel Roderick Mariano, the […] The post Capitol to file case vs curfew-cursing rapper appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 24th, 2020

37 huli sa curfew

UMABOT sa 37 ang nahuli ng Anonas Police sa Quezon City sa pagpapatupad ng curfew kaugnay ng Enhanced Community Quarantine. Hinuli ang mga ito mula alas-9 ng gabi hanggang 1 ng umaga. Ang mga nahuli ay mga residente ng Brgy. Old Capitol Site, Brgy. Krus na Ligas, Brgy. East Kamias, at Project 2. Katuwang ng […] The post 37 huli sa curfew appeared first on Bandera......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 24th, 2020

German, accused of taking cop’s phone, charged

MANDAUE CITY, Philippines — Policemen filed a theft case against a 69-year-old German tourist, who was accused of stealing mobile phones at the Centro Police Station in Mandaue City. Veronica Engle Weisenberg, who was temporarily billeted in a hotel in Cebu City, was allegedly caught fleeing from the police station with the cell phones that […] The post German, accused of taking cop’s phone, charged appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 9th, 2020

Greenhills hostage taker a licensed guard, says police | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler: PNP backpedals, says Greenhills hostage taker is licensed guard Filipinos most satisfied with Senate, least happy with Duterte Cabinet Cayetano to Velasco: You'll be Speaker if Duterte wants you to be Speaker Ungab, Leachon stripped of key House posts amid coup rumors Boracay tourist arrivals decline by 40% due to coronavirus – Rappler.com Executive Producer / Writer Lilibeth Frondoso Associate Producer / Publisher Marga Deona Jaira Roxas Master Editor / Playback Emerald Hidalgo Jaene Zaplan Jaen Manegdeg Quita Chuatico.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMar 3rd, 2020

30 PRO-7 cops deployed to help Talisay policemen clear Tangke of drugs in three months

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Thirty policemen from the Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO-7) have been deployed to augment the Talisay City policemen manning the Police Community Precincts in Barangay Tangke, drug-infested barangay in Talisay City. The deployment of the 30 PRO-7 policemen is one of the steps to achieve the Talisay City Police […] The post 30 PRO-7 cops deployed to help Talisay policemen clear Tangke of drugs in three months appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 2nd, 2020