Advertisements


Calapan fishing ban lifted

The fishing ban in Calapan City in Oriental Mindoro was lifted on Friday night after the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources certified that marine products in the area are safe for human consumption......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarMar 18th, 2023

Calapan fishing ban lifted

The fishing ban in Calapan City in Oriental Mindoro was lifted on Friday night after the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources certified that marine products in the area are safe for human consumption......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 18th, 2023

23 dead, six missing as boat capsizes in Philippine lake

A small passenger boat capsized in a lake near the Philippine capital on Thursday, killing 23 people on board and leaving six missing, rescuers said. The accident happened in the early afternoon at Laguna lake, near Manila, hours after Typhoon Doksuri had swept out of the northern Philippines. "Some survivors begged us to rescue those trapped beneath the boat," resident Monica de la Cruz, who watched the rescue effort off the municipality of Binangonan, told AFP. "They were crying and some of them were injured." Cruz said the accident took place following a "sudden gust of wind, big waves and rain", with locals initially too afraid to assist, fearing they would be "dragged down as well". The wooden outrigger "encountered strong winds prompting all passengers to panic" and move to one side of the vessel, the coast guard said in a statement. "The boat had clearance to sail," coast guard spokesman Rear Admiral Armando Balilo told reporters, downplaying speculation the typhoon had caused the accident. The passenger boat was making its regular run from a Binangonan port to the island of Talim in the middle of the lake, municipality rescue official Kenneth Cirados told AFP. Rescuers retrieved 23 bodies from the water and there were 40 survivors, he said. Six people remained missing with the search set to resume Friday. By nightfall, rescuers had righted the boat and dragged it close to shore, where its yellow hull sat in shallow water. A broken motorcycle cargo and soiled pieces of tarp were draped over it. "The boat sank in front of us while on its way home to the island," said Binangonan resident Frederic Sison, who had been standing at the Kalinawan port when the incident happened. Video footage of the rescue shared by the coast guard showed a man standing on the hull of the boat that was lying on its side, shouting "There are so many people here", as small outrigger boats circled trying to help. Another clip showed two rescuers leaning from the side of a boat to pluck a person who appeared to be unconscious from the calm waters. Mobile phone footage taken by Sison and shared with AFP showed anxious people standing on the shore watching the boats take part in the frantic rescue effort. In the video, a young boatman said he saved four people including a disabled person and a girl. A woman could be seen doing chest compressions on one of several victims laid out on the concrete pier, as men lifted more motionless people out of small boats. Boats, including wooden outriggers and passenger ferries that provide transport between islands, had been ordered to shore in Luzon and central islands earlier in the week due to gale warnings as the typhoon intensified the southwest monsoon. The Philippines, an archipelago of more than 7,000 islands, has a poor maritime safety record, with scores dying in mishaps at sea each year, usually aboard wooden-hulled outriggers used for fishing or to move people from one small island to another.   The post 23 dead, six missing as boat capsizes in Philippine lake appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJul 27th, 2023

San Pedro Bay fishing ban lifted

TACLOBAN CITY — The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources on Monday announced that the San Pedro Bay in Samar province has been cleared of red tide after more than three months of infestation. The agency said that negative results for the toxin causing paralytic shellfish poisoning were obtained from three consecutive weeks of sampling in the seawaters of Basey and Marabut towns in Samar province. “The public is hereby informed that shellfish samples harvested from San Pedro Bay in Samar are now safe for human consumption. Likewise, gathering or harvesting and marketing of shellfish from the above-mentioned area are now permitted,” said BFAR Eastern Visayas regional director Hannibal Chavez. Under Shellfish Bulletin 16, all bays in Eastern Visayas are now red tide-free based on the latest confirmed laboratory sampling of the BFAR main office. However, a local red tide advisory issued by BFAR regional office here warned against harvesting, trading and consumption of shellfish from Matarinao Bay to prevent the incidence of PSP, which can occur minutes after ingesting bivalve shellfish — such as mussels, oysters and clams — that contain red tide toxins. Matarinao Bay covers the coastal waters of the towns of General MacArthur, Hernani, Quinapondan and Salcedo in Eastern Samar. “To safeguard human lives, a local red tide warning is issued in this area as a precautionary advice to the public to refrain from gathering, selling, and eating all types of shellfishes and Acetes sp. locally known as alamang or hipon from the said bay,” Chavez said. The BFAR field office here is still waiting for confirmation from BFAR central office laboratory. Although the shellfish ban has been lifted in almost all areas in the region, the BFAR regularly monitors all coastal waters to check possible recurrence. Included in regular water sample checks are the coastal waters of Daram, and Zumarraga, Cambatutay, Irong-irong, Maqueda and Villareal Bays in Samar; coastal waters of Guiuan in Eastern Samar; coastal waters of Leyte, Calubian, Ormoc, Sogod, Carigara Bay, and Cancabato Bay, Tacloban City in Leyte; and coastal waters of Biliran Island. These areas had a history of red tide recurrence in the past years. The post San Pedro Bay fishing ban lifted appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJul 3rd, 2023

BFAR: Fishing ban in Oriental Mindoro stays

There is no time frame on when the fishing ban in Oriental Mindoro can be lifted despite claims by an oil spill expert that fish from areas affected by the oil slick are safe for consumption......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 28th, 2023

P400M+ income lost due to Mindoro oil spill

Seawater around Oriental Mindoro still showed low-level contaminants or pollycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon, while seaweed collected and analyzed from select sites in Catluys, Antique on 9 March showed low-level contaminants or PAH, the Department of Agriculture's Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources reported over the weekend. PAH, according to DA-BFAR, are "harmful to humans and other living organisms, and may accumulate in the flesh of marine organisms over time. Seaweeds and other sessile organism have greater chances of accumulating PAH due to their immobility." Thus, the BFAR is still keeping the fishing ban in oil-spill hit municipalities of Oriental Mindoro, which has accumulated P441.25 million losses in income in 22 fishing days. The agency said the amount came from the more than 26,000 fishermen who have been directly affected by the oil spill as of March 31, based on a daily income of P714. The damage in terms of inputs and produce, fishing gear and paraphernalia, and facilities and equipment was placed at P445,333,928.00. These include: Fisheries Production Losses from MIMAROPA’s Commercial and Municipal Fisheries valued at P14,138,400.00, and damage to 119 metric tons of seaweed production in Western Visayas valued at almost P3 million. The "DA-BFAR detected minimal levels of PAH, including benzo(a)pyrene or B(a)p, from the initial samples collected," BFAR director Demosthenes Escoto said. He added that 86 fish and other marine samples were taken on 10-11 March from seven municipalities in Mindoro (Bongabong, Bulalacao, Gloria, Mansalay, Najuan, Pinamalayan and San Jose) for testing. "These did not show the presence of petroleum-related products," Escoto said. However, from seven seaweed samples collected on 31 March in Caluya, Antique, three showed the presence of petroleum-related products. Some 23 water samples collected from 9 March to 4 April from 10 municipalities of Oriental Mindoro (Bansud, Bongabong, Bulalacao, Calapan, Gloria, Mansalay, Naujan, Pinamalayan, Pola, and Roxas) and Caluya in Antique had minimal levels of oil and grease, within the standard set by the Department of the Environment and Natural Resources. BFAR also said 15 fish samples collected from Oriental Mindoro from March 4 to 10 showed low levels of PAH. Likewise, seaweed taken from Caluya, Antique on March 4 yielded low-level PAH. 'Since the Bureau found low-levels of PAH in seafood samples, it recommended keeping fishing bans in areas concerned while the time-series analyses are still ongoing," BFAR said in its Bulletin No.2 . The Bureau meanwhile, added that a total of P22 million worth of livelihood assistance has been allocated to affected fishing communities. This includes P4.4 million worth of post-harvest technology packages for 10 fisherfolk associations and cooperatives or 689 families. It also includes P12 million worth of fuel subsidy for fisherfolk who had to seek alternative fishing grounds. The BFAR said it is considering providing affected fisherfolk some fiberglass-reinforced plastic boats. As for food and relief goods, the BFAR said it has earmarked P1.5 million for food assistance to 5,689 affected fisherfolk in Mimaropa. Meanwhile, P580,500 has been used to help displaced fishing groups in Western Visayas, the BFAR said. For cleanup operations in Oriental Mindoro, the agency said it deployed P720,945 worth of PPE, ropes and other materials. The MT Princess Empress sank on 28 February off Najuan, Oriental Mindoro while carrying 900,000 liters of industrial fuel. The post P400M+ income lost due to Mindoro oil spill appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsApr 15th, 2023

PCG rescues 5 Japanese seafarers

Philippine Coast Guard personnel rescued five Japanese crewmembers of a fishing vessel that listed in the waters off Calapan, Oriental Mindoro yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 11th, 2023

Fishing ban in Visayan Sea now lifted: BFAR

MANILA - The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) on Friday announced the lifting of the fishing ban in the Visayan Sea.In a statement, the BFAR said no closed fishing season violators were reported."No violation was committed against the three-month ban on catching, selli.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsFeb 17th, 2023

Philippines to probe Chinese, Vietnamese cyanide fishing accusations in Scarborough | The wRap

The wRap's highlights: Scarborough Shoal, academic calendar, Zanjoe Marudo & Ria Atayde.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated News1 hr. 18 min. ago

China calls alleged cyanide use in WPS ‘sheer fabrication’

China’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning called the claim of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources that Chinese fishers engage in cyanide fishing a “sheer fabrication.” .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated News19 hr. 38 min. ago

Moscow lifts Ecuador banana ban

The restrictions were imposed after a dangerous pest that carries cholera was found in shipments of the fruit   Russia has lifted its partial ban on imports of bananas from Ecuador, the Russian food safety watchdog Rosselkhoznadzor announced on Friday.    "We authorize these five Ecuadorian c.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsFeb 18th, 2024

Floating barrier spotted in Bajo de Masinloc

Floating barriers have reappeared around Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal, apparently placed by the Chinese to keep Filipino fishing boats and support vessels out of the rich fishing grounds, the Philippine Coast Guard said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 18th, 2024

West Philippine Sea: Guard PH shoal, fishers with frequent patrols

The Philippines will take “decisive action” in securing one of its traditional fishing grounds amid growing Chinese aggression in the West Philippine Sea by establishing a constant presence at Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal through rotational patrols of that area by government ships starting this month. National Security Adviser Eduardo Año on Friday said vessels from the Philippine Coast.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 17th, 2024

PH intensifies patrols to guard WPS fishing grounds

The Philippines will actively protect its traditional fishing grounds in the West Philippine Sea from increasing Chinese aggression by having government ships regularly patrol Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal starting this month. National Security Adviser Eduardo Año announced that vessels from the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) will take.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 17th, 2024

Government announces agriculture delegations to better support Primary sector

The coalition Government has announced ministerial delegations to support key areas across the Primary sector to deliver for New Zealand's food and fibre sector, Agriculture Minister Todd McClay announced today."I will be supported in my roles as Minister of Agriculture, Trade, Forestry and Hunting and Fishing, by three Associate Agriculture Ministers, Nicola Grigg (National), Andrew Hoggard (ACT), and Mark Patt.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsFeb 14th, 2024

Fishing

Children go fishing in a pond beside the Mandulog River in Hinaplanon, Iligan City on Sunday afternoon, 11 February 2024. MindaNews photo by BOBBY TIMONERA.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsFeb 12th, 2024

Foreign help for seaside peace road project sought

Residents of the now progressing fishing capital of Maguindanao del Norte need help from foreign donors in building bridges over rivers at stretches of a road now being constructed to connect their town to Sultan Kudarat province......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 6th, 2024

Cebu’s Elreen Ando bags two silver medals in Olympic qualifiers

CEBU CITY, Philippines—Cebuana Olympian Elreen Ando claimed two silver medals in the women’s 59-kilogram division of the ongoing 2024 Asian Weightlifting Federation (AWF) Asian Championships-Olympic Qualifiers on Monday, February 5, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.  Ando, who was accompanied by her coach Ramon Solis and was with four other Filipina weightlifters, lifted a total of 213 kilograms......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 6th, 2024

SP New Energy suspension lifted after Solar Philippines donates another 220 million SPNEC shares

The PSE lifted the suspension that had affected SP New Energy shares since January 26 after SPNEC said that Solar Philippines Power Project Holdings Inc. had donated 220 million SPNEC shares to Asia Pacific Institute for Green Development on January 24, and that the donation had increased SPNEC’s public float [link] back above the 20% minimum threshold for active trading......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 5th, 2024

CHR probes slay of Mindoro Oriental village exec

The Commission on Human Rights-Mimaropa office is investigating the killing of a barangay official in Calapan, Oriental Mindoro earlier this month......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 31st, 2024

Fishermen in the Philippines still damaging marine ecosystem

Crew members pull the net with fish in tow onboard a catcher vessel in the fishing grounds in the Sulu Sea, the Philippines, April 27, 2023. /CFPFishermen in the Philippines are still overfishing the sea areas around the island country, damaging the marine ecosystem, which in turn is threatening their own survival. Conservation group Oceana said more than 75 percent of the nation's fishing g.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJan 28th, 2024