Advertisements


Ampatuan Massacre@11:  kin of slain media workers forego site visit; Mangudadatu expects 500 to 1,000 visitors

KORONADAL CITY (MindaNews / 22 November) — For the first time in a decade, families of the media workers killed in the infamous Ampatuan massacre in Maguindanao province on November 23, 2009 will not visit and offer prayers at the massacre site on its 11th anniversary on Monday due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Mary […].....»»

Category: newsSource: mindanews mindanewsNov 22nd, 2020

Hustisya

Sons and daughters of slain media workers sing “Hustisya” at the commemoration of the 10th anniversary of the Ampatuan Massacre at the massacre site in Ampatuan, Maguindanao on 23 November 2019. Fifty eight persons were killed, 32 of them from the media, when armed men led by then Datu Unsay mayor Andal Ampatuan, Jr., flagged […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsNov 24th, 2019

[WATCH] Trial of the decade: Highlights of Ampatuan massacre case

MANILA, Philippines – The verdict on the Ampatuan massacre is expected to be handed down in December, 10 years to the day where 58 people were mercilessly slaughtered in Maguindanao.  On November 23, 2009, armed men intercepted a convoy of journalists, media workers, lawyers, and relatives of Esmael "Toto" Mangudadatu ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsNov 22nd, 2019

10 years later, kin still crying for justice for Ampatuan massacre victims

MASSACRE SITE, Ampatuan, Maguindanao (MindaNews / 17 Nov) – Every year in the past 10 years, the families of the victims of the country’s worst election-related violence and the world’s deadliest single attack against media workers would come here to dramatically press their demand for justice. As had been the practice, the families of the […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsNov 17th, 2019

After 30 years, a farmer now owns three gardens and provides jobs amid crisis, part 2

In part 1, Mary Ann Cogollo, a farmer from Iloilo, shares about how her 30-year gardening story began and evolved. Here, she talks about the hurdles she had to face that molded her for who she is today.   Trials behind the triumphs At the back of her success is an unsteady, challenging voyage that she had to endure. “It’s 30 years in the making and looking back to what I’ve been through and endured, my heart is full,” said Cogollo. Growing up, Camille, her eldest daughter, saw how she fell and risen many times, she says, “I witnessed how she carried the pails from our wells to water her plants, pull the weeds every day, carried potted plants to hide them because of the heavy storms, how she failed and endured everything, how she learned from her experiences, and how she managed to be a farmer, a gardener, and a mother to us.” A throwback photo of Cogollo taken in 1994 with her 5-year old daughter. Before the birth of the gardens, Cogollo had been gardening alone for 10 years. She did the propagation, watering, and application of fertilizers. It was a challenge for this gardener to find suppliers and to travel the plants from the city to their place, but the hardest to deal with is the weather. “Typhoons and extreme summer are two of the most difficult situations to handle as well as dealing with plant diseases and pests. I failed a lot, some of my plants weren’t a success, but I learned from them,” Cogollo added. Blooming profits The price for the plants in the flower farm ranges from P25 to P10,000 and up. On normal days, they get to sell hundreds of plants every month that differ based on the demand. Most of it is purchased by co-gardeners too. Cogollo said that this season has the highest sales so far to the point that they travel some plants to the other garden to fill the demand. When they opened last month, they were able to dispose of 3000 to 5000 pots, which allowed them to generate a minimum of 50k per day from all the gardens. A mother, farmer, and businesswoman As a mother of two, she lets her children participate in farmwork and immerse themselves in nature at a young age. As per Camille, Cogollo taught her how to plant when she was four and let her have her mini garden at home. Their youngest also helps in raising livestock since he was in grade six. “They let us oversee the farm the same way that my lolo did before. She’s taught me how to plant and to marcot, how to fertilize and water correctly, and educated me what plants can grow from cuttings and what plants need to be in full sun or in shade,” Camille added. Despite the crisis, Cogollo added that God still made a way to provide for her family and their farm workers. She finds herself staring at the sky and thanking God for not leaving her family and the families working for them after two months of farm closure. When many people began growing plants to improve lifestyle amid the crisis, her children told her, “Nay your dream is coming true, farming and gardening are taking its shape, gakatabo na nay (it’s finally happening).” Cogollo only hopes for the public to continue appreciating nature and to start growing plants.   Farming has been her life ever since. The life she chose is the same life lived by her parents and grandparents and according to her, to be able to help others while pursuing your passion is a blessing.  Current situation As the government implemented enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) to halt the spread of COVID-19, they had to close their gardens for two months. Since they only allow walk-ins and do not offer delivery services, they had no income from the garden. For Cogollo, those two months were the hardest; there were no landscaping projects but they had to give salaries to the employees every weekend. They thought of stopping their daily farm operations, but their musings brought them back to their primary goal, which is to provide the workers’ livelihood. They hired five more people who lost their jobs during those two months and didn’t stop propagating and maintaining the gardens. All smiles on her farm – As per Cogollo, the crisis allowed them to pause and see what they can do better. Living on a farm is an advantage because it’s COVID-free and their staff live nearby so they carry on with their daily work in the gardens and farm. Fortunately, after two months, a sudden increase in demand for plants began. The crisis has become as she calls it, “a ‘plantdemic’ for Ilonggos.” Their gardens re-opened for visitors when Iloilo was placed under GCQ (general community quarantine). From then on, the farm was amplified by different networks through social media and word of mouth. Despite their location, they were shocked that people kept visiting or asking about their gardens’ location. At some point, they were afraid due to the increasing numbers of visitors and of the risks it can entail that might harm their whole community. However, it was all worth it because according to Cogollo, “We know our dream is coming true. Farming/Gardening is taking shape.” They were also supposed to put up a garden café and park last May but due to these circumstances, things didn’t go as planned. In the future, they see the garden as a haven where people can stroll and appreciate and realize the beauty of nature. Photos from Dafalongs Flower Farm. For more information, visit the Dafalongs Flower Farms......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 30th, 2020

Ampatuan brothers, kin guilty beyond reasonable doubt for Maguindanao massacre

Five members of the Ampatuan clan were found guilty beyond reasonable doubt for the massacre of 58 people, including 32 journalists and media workers, in the Nov. 23, 2009 massacre in Ampatuan town in Maguindanao – the worst case of election-related violence in the country's history......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 19th, 2019

10 years since massacre, watchdog sees little change in safety protocols for journalists

Ten years since the Ampatuan massacre, and there has been “very little” change for safety protocols for Filipino media workers, said Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 18th, 2019

Media group, workers call for justice for victims of Ampatuan Massacre

"It is our way of keeping the fight for justice alive, as well as condemning all violations of human rights. And hopefully, before all our candles run out, justice would be given to all victims.” The post Media group, workers call for justice for victims of Ampatuan Massacre appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsMay 25th, 2019

NUJP holds silent protest to demand justice for Ampatuan Massacre victims

MAKATI CITY (NUJP / 01 Nov) &'8212; The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines and the family of Daniel Tiamzon, one of the 32 media workers killed in the Nov 23, 2009 Ampatuan massacre, held a silent protest at the Manila South Cemetery in Maka.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsNov 1st, 2016

How safe is SafeDavao QR code system?

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 10 November) —  As thousands of residents and potential visitors to the city took to social media last week to complain about the difficulties of accessing the SafeDavao site to register for a QR code, a mandatory requirement to be able to move around or enter the city supposedly effective November […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsNov 12th, 2020

Following appeal, UNESCO says Maguindano massacre case unresolved

UNESCO has classified the Maguindanao massacre cases as “ongoing/unresolved” from "resolved," following the appeal of families of slain media victims and Filipino organizations and journalists......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 25th, 2020

Update on the Appeal to UNESCO regarding classification of Ampatuan massacre case as resolved

Greetings from the Philippines! We hope this letter finds you safe and well during such difficult times. We – the families of the journalists killed in the Ampatuan massacre, as well as media groups, civil society organizations, and concerned citizens who have stood with them in their continuing search for justice – wish to express our distress and disappointment as news reports, including from government media, have called attention to UNESCO’s classification of the entire case as “resolved” and citing this as an accomplishment of the Duterte administration and its efforts to protect journalists......»»

Category: newsSource:  davaotodayRelated NewsSep 24th, 2020

An appeal to UNESCO

We---the families of the journalists killed in the Ampatuan massacre, as well as media groups, civil society organizations, and concerned citizens who have stood with them in their continuing search for justice---wish to express our distress and disappointment as news reports, including from government media, have called attention to UNESCO’s classification of the entire case as “resolved” and citing this as an accomplishment of the Duterte administration and its efforts to protect journalists.  .....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 18th, 2020

State of Media Freedom in PH

IntroductionThe period saw the long awaited decision from the trial of the accused of the massacre of 58 persons, including 32 journalists in Ampatuan, Maguindanao; promulga.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsMay 6th, 2020

RIVERMAN’S VISTA: Layman’s guide to understanding the Ampatuan Massacre verdict (2): The Victims

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (MindaNews / 22 January) — Thinking that the presence of journalists would deter his rivals from making good their threat to chop him to pieces once he filed his certificate of candidacy (COC) for Governor of Maguindanao, Buluan Vice Mayor Esmael “Toto” Mangudadatu invited journalists, relatives and aides to join in […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsJan 25th, 2020

Duterte& rsquo;s multifold challenges

This column’s Person of the Year is, hands down, Quezon City Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes who tried the 10-year-old Maguindanao massacre case where 58 people, including 32 media workers, were killed in the worst case of political violence in the Philippines......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 26th, 2019

Ampatuan kin, escort hurt in ambush; cop slain in Lanao

Shariff Aguak, Maguindanao—Unidentified gunmen riding on a motorbike ambushed and injured Vice Mayor Akmad M. Ampatuan of this town—a state witness in the 2009 Maguindanao massacre case that saw 58 persons killed—on Tuesday, police said......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 24th, 2019

Was justice finally served?

Judgment day came Thursday on the decade-old Maguindanao Massacre, the worst act of political violence ever recorded in Philippine history. Among those killed were 32 media workers. The verdict was handed down—but is it the end of the road for those seeking justice?.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 21st, 2019

Oro media orgs applaud court decision on Ampatuan massacre case

Media organizations here have applauded the Regional Trial Court in Quezon City for finding the principal suspects and others who were accused of perpetrating the Ampatuan massacre guilty on Thursday (Dec. 19)......»»

Category: newsSource:  davaotodayRelated NewsDec 20th, 2019

Hatol sa Ampatuan massacre, patunay na ‘di pinapayagan ng gobyerno ang media killings – Andanar

Manila, Phiilippines – Sinabi ni Communications Secretary Martin Andanar na ang resulta ng  promulgasyon ng Ampatuan Massacre ay dahil sa dedikasyon ng pamahalaan na maparusahan ang mga nasa likod ng krimen. Ito ay matapos hatulan ni Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes of the Quezon City Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 221 ang 3 Ampatuan brothers at 25 […] The post Hatol sa Ampatuan massacre, patunay na ‘di pinapayagan ng gobyerno ang media killings – Andanar appeared first on REMATE ONLINE......»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsDec 20th, 2019

Missing victim gets no justice

Ten years ago, 58 people, including 32 journalists and media workers, were slaughtered in Ampatuan town in Maguindanao, in the worst case of election-related violence in the country’s history......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 19th, 2019