Advertisements


All provinces now hit by COVID-19 — DoH

All provinces in the country now each have a recorded case of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Department of Health (DoH) reported Tuesday. This came following the recent announcement of the local government of Batanes that it has listed its first case of the disease since the pandemic hit — a 29-year-old resident said to […] The post All provinces now hit by COVID-19 — DoH appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource: tribune tribuneSep 29th, 2020

Being a poor kid taught me empathy

Mayor Isko Moreno BATANG MAYNILA In a recent interview, I was asked by a reporter if I am amenable to the idea of placing the beggars under arrest.  These are the homeless people who end up in the streets begging for alms due to lack of income. Flatly, I rejected the idea. It is just not my cup of tea. Having been in that rock-bottom situation before, I cannot say that being poor is a sin or a fault in any way.  It is the kind of situation in which no one would ever, ever  want to be. I do not question the wisdom of national authorities who broached the idea of having the beggars arrested, for fear that they may be spreading COVID-19, since they do not observe any safety protocols particularly wearing of face masks. Maybe those from the national government have a different perspective about this issue but to me, sending the homeless people to jail is another thing, not only because I was also homeless at one point in my life but as I’ve said, it just isn’t my cup of tea. I would rather get these homeless people off the streets and care for them in our very own facilities designated for the purpose. In fact, for almost eight months now, we in the city government of Manila, through our social welfare department headed by Re Fugoso, had been taking care of hundreds upon hundreds of homeless people who ended up living in the streets and begging for alms, due to the pandemic. Since the quarantine and lockdowns began in March, we gathered these homeless, unwanted individuals and have been taking care of them since. We have three facilities for them. Modesty aside, we do not only feed these streetdwellers three square meals a day. We also provide them with clothes, toiletries, various forms of entertainment — like regular movie showing and zumba sessions— and even extras, since most donations of clothes and food that that land in our office from time to time are automatically sent to them. We also ensure their health and safety, by making them undergo regular medical tests. Our medical teams go to them and conduct the checking. While their life in our city-run facilities may not be luxurious, it is comfortable enough and definitely, a lot better than living in the streets. In fact, I suspect that a lot of homeless troop to Manila probably upon learning that the city provides the basic needs of those gathered. Those who would want to go to their native hometowns are being assisted by social welfare chief Re Fugoso herself, as in fact, 200 such families have already been sent to their respective provinces about a week ago. Back to the issue and let me be clear. There is no question that we in the city government are all for instilling discipline among everyone in the city, including the homeless. No exception. However, I firmly believe that when you are at the helm of governance, you have to strike a balance between putting discipline and certainty in place on one hand, and then compassion and humanity on the other. Addressing the poor is never easy. Actions need to be taken but there is a need to learn to stretch your patience to the maximum. I remember clearly what former President Ramon Magsaysay once said: “Those who have less in life should have more in law.” This creed of one of the greatest Presidents who ever lived, is what endeared him to the masses and had been my guiding rule since I entered politics. Simply put, this means that the  ordinary citizens or those in the lower rung of society, specially the poor, should get the necessary attention from government which they need more than those who are well off. Maybe having grown up knowing precisely what poverty means and actually feels like, also instilled in me the value of empathy. *** Gaya ng paulit-ulit  kong sinasabi, kailangan ko ang tulong ninyong lahat. Walang magmamalasakit sa Maynila kundi tayo ding mga Batang Maynila. Manila, God first! *** For updates on latest developments in the city of Manila, please visit my Facebook account — “Isko Moreno Domagoso”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 18th, 2020

Covid cases spike in NCR, 7 provinces

Eight provinces, including the National Capital Region (NCR), have seen spikes in the number of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases in the past two weeks, according to a study made by the University of the Philippines OCTA Research team. Based on its latest monitoring report dated Oct. 12, 2020, NCR had at least 902 cases per […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsOct 15th, 2020

COVID-19 cases in PNP hit 6,347

Fifty-one more police officers, 43 of them assigned in the provinces, have tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 10th, 2020

Kapuso Foundation provides school supplies, anti-COVID kits to students

GMA Kapuso Foundation (GMAKF) pushes ahead with its project “Unang Hakbang sa Kinabukasan,” providing school supplies as well as anti-COVID kits for public elementary school students in time for the opening of classes this October. Through the help of multi-sector partners, GMAKF aims to help 80,000 incoming kinder and grade 1 pupils from the top 25 poorest provinces across the […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsOct 6th, 2020

All provinces now hit by COVID-19 — DoH

All provinces in the country now each have a recorded case of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Department of Health (DoH) reported Tuesday. This came following the recent announcement of the local government of Batanes that it has listed its first case of the disease since the pandemic hit — a 29-year-old resident said to […] The post All provinces now hit by COVID-19 — DoH appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsSep 29th, 2020

COVID-19 now in all Philippine provinces after Batanes logs first case

This, after the northernmost province of Batanes reported Tuesday its first confirmed COVID-19 case......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 29th, 2020

BARMM provides more computers to 3 island provinces for COVID-19 frontliners

The Bangsamoro government is distributing more computers to three island provinces that frontliners can use for data processing essential to the war on coronavirus......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 12th, 2020

Stay vigilant vs COVID-19, Robredo urges public

While she is hopeful about the country’s decreasing coronavirus cases, Vice President Leni Robredo said this should not be a reason for Filipinos to be complacent and they must continue to be vigilant against COVID-19. Vice-President Leni Robredo (OVP / Facebook / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN) Robredo, in a Facebook post, said the people must maintain all the necessary precautionary measures and health protocols despite the improving COVID-19 situation. These include wearing face masks and face shields, frequent hand washing, and maintaining physical distancing from each other in public places. “While the numbers give us hope, this is no time to relax or be complacent,” the opposition leader said. ”Let us also pray fervently that all who are sick and those afflicted by the virus will get well soon and that our frontliners will be cloaked in the mantle of protection,” she added. “Kaya natin ‘to (We can do this),” Robredo stressed. The vice president issued a reminder to the public as the country has started to flatten the curve with the low number of COVID-19 cases’ reproduction number. The latest Department of Health (DOH) data showed the reproduction number was below 0.9. Robredo believed the current downward trend is the end result of the two-week modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) that was implemented in Metro Manila and nearby provinces last month. “Our medical experts were right to demand for a two-week MECQ. We’re seeing the fruits of that now,” she said......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsSep 9th, 2020

How did SouthCot use its P74-M COVID-19 Bayanihan fund?

KORONADAL CITY  (MindaNews / 6 September) — The provincial government of South Cotabato has “fully utilized” the 74 million pesos it received from the Bayanihan Grant for Provinces (BGP), a one-time cash assistance from the national government to help local government units respond quickly to the crisis brought about by the coronavirus disease (COVID-190. But the […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsSep 7th, 2020

10.5 billion peso Bayanihan Grant for Mindanao: how much did your town, city or province get and how did they spend the money?

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 04 September ) – Want to know how much money your city, town and province received from the Bayanihan Grant?  And how did they spend the millions of pesos intended to be “exclusively used for … COVID-19-related programs, projects, activities (PPAs) and expenses.” Mindanao’s 27 provinces, 33 cities and 422 towns […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsSep 6th, 2020

NBL heads into fourth season as professional entity

The National Basketball League has gone pro. The Games and Amusements Board (GAB) on Wednesday officially announced that it has approved the application of the grassroots league to turn professional. "Gaya ng pinangako namin sa inyo nung nagsimula tayo, ito na ang simula ng ating pagpitas ng bunga," league chairman Celso "Soy" Mercado said. "Ako ay naniniwala na ang ating paglipat going to professional ay napakalaking bagay para sa mga ating mga manlalaro na hanggang ngayon ay hindi pa nabibigyan ng pagkakataon sa mga sulok-sulok ng ating bansa." The NBL, and its counterpart for women, applied for professional status months ago and had no problem whatsoever getting approved. The Paranaque Aces and the Taguig Generals were the first two champions of the grassroots league. At present, there is a pause on play in the third season, which has the likes of De La Salle University standouts Justine Baltazar and Encho Serrano up front and center, due to the continuing COVID-19 crisis. Whenever the fourth season comes along, the NBL would stand as the first pro league to feature Filipino homegrown talents from the provinces, cities, and municipalities they hail from. --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @riegogogo......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 26th, 2020

Rural health units urged to step up services under new normal

Heads of tertiary hospitals in several provinces in Luzon believe that rural health units (RHUs) in their respective areas must play bigger roles amid the "new normal" ushered in by the COVID-19 pandemic......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 26th, 2020

Cabinet members to act as ‘big brother’ to mayors

Cabinet secretaries will be acting as a “big brother” to local officials to aggressively pursue the government’s National Action Plan against COVID-19, particularly in high-risk areas in Metro Manila and four adjacent provinces, Malacañang said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 13th, 2020

136,509 OFWs sent home – DOLE

At least 136,509 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) displaced by the coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19 pandemic have been sent to their provinces......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 12th, 2020

Chooks-to-Go 3x3 to observe strict protocol in bubble

Strict health protocols will be practiced and observed once the Chooks-to-Go Pilipinas 3x3 gets the green light to practice, and eventually, hold its actual tournament. This was assured by league commissioner Eric Altamirano on Tuesday during his appearance in the online session of the Philippine Sportswriters Association (PSA) Forum. Altamirano, who was joined by player Alvin Pasaol, said the league is taking all the necessary steps and precautions to assure the safety and welfare of players, officials, and staff from contracting the COVID-19. “We’re ensuring that we will cover everything from testing to contact tracing,” said Altamirano. All involved personnel will be required to undergo swab testing (PCR-testing) especially those who are going to enter the 3x3 bubble at the Inspire Sports Academy in Calamba, Laguna once competition in the newly-turned pro league gets going hopefully, by September. Practices among 12 participating teams are supposed to start within the month, but had to be pushed a little back when the National Capital Region (NCR) and adjacent provinces including Laguna, reverted back to a Modified Enhance Community Quarantine (MECQ) status. “Right after ma-lift ‘yang MECQ, we will resume our testing and training,” Altamirano said. The league official added he has been in close consultation with Dr. Tony Leachon, the former special adviser to the National Task Force Against COVID-19, and other health experts about the protocols the league will have to observe before and during the tournament. The league is on the lookout for a centralized training facility where all teams would be able to workout under strict monitoring. “Pag isang venue lang ang pagpa-practisan, now we can have contact tracing, we can ensure the safety of the facility in terms of cleaning and disinfecting. May scheduled protocol when it comes to that. For every practice, may cleaning gap bago (mag-practice) yung next group,” he explained in the session presented by San Miguel Corp., Go For Gold, MILO, Amelie Hotel Manila, Braska Restaurant, the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR), and powered by Smart with Upstream Media as webcast partner. In the league’s bubble, meanwhile, protocol is even stricter. A single person who just showed even a single symptom of the virus will be immediately isolated. A maximum of around 150 persons to be inside the Inspire Sports Academy in the entire duration of the meet......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 11th, 2020

Laguna province records highest COVID-19 cases in Calabarzon

According to the August 5, 2020 COVID-19 Situation Report of the Department of Health– CALABARZON (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon), the province of Laguna holds the highest number of COVID-19 cases in the region with 3,332 followed by the provinces of Rizal with 1,785, Cavite -1,452, Batangas – 1,281 and Quezon – 436. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsAug 7th, 2020

MECQ ‘good enough’ for doctors

Medical frontliners are hopeful that the two-week modified enhanced community quarantine in Metro Manila and four nearby provinces will be “good enough” for the government to “re-calibrate” the country’s response to COVID-19......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 5th, 2020

Fanged GAB to go after health protocol violators

The Games and Amusements Board will have more teeth in going after violators of strict health protocols among pro sports. GAB chairman Abraham ‘Baham’ Mitra in his appearance in the Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum online session on Tuesday stressed that with the presence of an official Joint Administrative Order (JAO) the agency has the right to sanction any teams or players found guilty of breaching safety protocols in their respective leagues. “Since meron nang JAO and sa amin na ibinigay 'yung load, kami na ang mag-i-impose ng sanctions,” said the 50-year-old Mitra of the provision of the JAO signed by his office together with the Department of Health and Philippine Sports Commission (PSC). The sanctions of course, will always be done in coordination with top officials of the pro leagues that were already given the green light to resume workouts as in the case of basketball, football, and boxing under a General Community Quarantine (ECQ) status. “In case something happens and there may be violations, we will be there,” said Mitra. The National Capital Region (NCR) and other nearby provinces reverted back under a Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) on August 4 owing to the major surge of COVID-19 cases, prompting a delay in the resumption of team workouts among professional players. The GAB chairman also didn’t mince words against repeated violators, adding it has the right to cancel licenses of erring players or ball clubs. “Kung talagang paulit-ulit ay puwede sigurong suspendihin at eventually, kung talagang matigas ang ulo, tanggalan ng professional license. We can do that dahil meron na ring JAO,” Mitra said in the weekly forum presented by San Miguel Corp., Go For Gold, MILO, Amelie Hotel Manila, Braska Restaurant, Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR), and powered by Smart, with Upstream Media as the official webcast partner. Mitra commended both the PBA and PFL for policing their ranks and doing their job of having everybody on board in terms of understanding and abiding by the strict health guidelines as provided under JAO. He added the cooperation of every players and teams are needed for the plan to work out especially once teams begin their respective trainings. “So far yung mga leagues naman sila na mismo (ang kumikilos). Nau-unahan parati ang GAB, kasi kami we want to hear both sides, we want due process.  And we’re doing several things. Unlike ang PBA, nakatutok lang sa PBA, ang PFL nakatutok lang sa PFL,” said the son of the late House Speaker Ramon Mitra Jr. In the case of the Blackwater franchise, the GAB chairman said the team was only given stern warning by his office since the violations committed were done when JAO was yet in effect. Besides, the PBA already penalized the ballclub for P100,000. “The PBA already sanctioned them and GAB doesn’t want to really step on institutions. We always believe in self-regulation. Nandiyan lang kami kung kailangan ninyo kami,” said Mitra, a former member of the House of Representatives and Palawan governor. At the same time, he clarified that guidelines under JAO can be amended and revised from time to time, to adopt to the current situation of the country under the COVID-19 pandemic......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 4th, 2020

Philippines tightens lockdown due to surge of COVID-19 infections

A woman wearing a face mask shops at a market in Manila, the Philippines, Aug. 3, 2020. (Xinhua/Rouelle Umali)Metro Manila and four nearby provinces in the Philippines will be under stric.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsAug 4th, 2020

PH logs 3,226 fresh cases, bringing total to 106,330

The Department of Health (DOH) announced 3,226 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the total number of infections to 106,330, one day before Metro Manila and neighboring provinces are to return to more stringent quarantine restrictions......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsAug 4th, 2020