Advertisements


38 Kadamay homeless fined P200 each after 4-year trespassing trial

A Quezon City court has ordered 38 members of Kalipunan ng Damayang Mahihirap (Kadamay) to each pay a fine of P200 for trespassing on a Quezon City property in 2017 from which they were evicted in the previous year......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarFeb 23rd, 2021

Court fines 38 Kadamay members P200 each for trespassing

The Quezon City Metropolitan Trial Court has convicted 38 members of the Kalipunan ng Damayang Mahihirap who reoccupied a contested property in Quezon City from which they were evicted in 2017......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 23rd, 2021

38 Kadamay member multa ng P200 sa trespassing

Hinatulan ng Quezon City Metropolitan Trial Court (MTC) ng guilty sa kasong trespassing ang 38 mga miyembro ng Kalipunan ng Damayang Mahihirap (Kadamay) matapos na iligal umanong pumasok at inokupa ang bakanteng lote sa loob ng mahigit na apat na taon sa Barangay Tandang Sora sa lungsod. The post 38 Kadamay member multa ng P200 sa trespassing first appeared on Abante......»»

Category: newsSource:  abanteRelated NewsFeb 23rd, 2021

CA justice fined over undecided cases

For failing to decide on 160 cases when she was regional trial court judge in Mandaue City in Cebu, Court of Appeals Justice Marilyn Lagura-Yap has been ordered to pay a fine equivalent to her salary for one year......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 15th, 2020

Match-fixing back in spotlight on eve of first Grand Slam

JUSTIN BERGMAN, Associated Press   For Rafael Nadal and the other stars of tennis, there's a familiar ring to the questions being raised as the first ball is about to be struck at the Australian Open. Recent match-fixing sanctions and a new case are bringing fresh scrutiny to the integrity of the sport a year after corruption allegations cast a pall over the first Grand Slam of the year. '(It's) obviously negative, always in the first month of the season starts to happen,' Nadal said at the season-opening Brisbane International. 'You get tired about this kind of stuff, but the most important thing is fight against these kinds of things.' The headlines started appearing early in the new year. On Jan. 5, police in Australia charged an 18-year-old player with a match-fixing offense at a lower-tier tournament last October in Traralgon, near Melbourne. Days later, another Australian player, Nick Lindahl, now retired but once ranked in the top 200, was handed a seven-year ban and $35,000 fine from the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) for offering to throw a match at a minor tournament in the city of Toowoomba in 2013. Lindahl had already been fined after a criminal trial. Two other Australian players received lesser punishments in connection with the incident. While Traralgon and Toowoomba are far removed from the glittering lights of Melbourne Park, the timing of the developments was troubling nonetheless. Last season began similarly beneath a cloud of suspicion after a report by BBC and Buzzfeed alleged that tennis authorities had suppressed evidence of match-fixing and failed to investigate possible cases of corruption. The reports went over old ground, but the timing and the headlines overshadowed the tournament. 'I haven't heard anything (about match-fixing) since last year's Australian Open,' German player Mischa Zverev told The Associated Press last week in Brisbane. 'I think it was funny timing. ... Like the day before the Oscars, they're going to bring something up to make somebody not win it, or win it.' Since then, tennis leaders have gone into overdrive to restore confidence in the sport. An independent panel was created to review the TIU, the internal body tasked with combating corruption, and authorities promised to implement all of its recommendations when it is completed this spring. The TIU also took separate steps to strengthen its monitoring and investigation efforts, develop new anti-corruption education programs for players, and improve the transparency of its operations. In an email statement to The AP, the agency said nine players and officials were sanctioned last year for match-fixing — the most for a single year since the unit was established in 2008. Several were banned for life, including a young South African player and four officials from Turkey and Uzbekistan. The unit also expanded its outreach efforts with betting operators and regulators, leading to increased reporting of suspicious wagers. In 2016, the TIU received 292 betting alerts — an 18 percent increase over the previous year. The vast majority of those came from the Challenger and Futures circuits on the men's tour, considered the most at-risk for match-fixing given the lower likelihood of detection and the smaller earnings of the players. However, the TIU said three alerts were generated at Grand Slam events, as well. The agency was quick to note, though, that an alert isn't necessarily proof of match-fixing. Of the more than 114,000 matches played last year on the professional tours, only 0.2 percent triggered a suspicious betting alert. 'Tennis was one of the first major sports to recognize the potential threat of betting-related corruption and do something about it,' the TIU said. 'It will be for the independent review panel to take a view on the conduct and effectiveness of the unit and to put forward recommendations to improve the current structure and approach.' Whatever the investigators recommend, the fact remains the TIU faces an uphill battle. Technology has shifted the gambling landscape in such a way, it's increasingly difficult for monitors to keep up. In tennis, wagers aren't just placed on who wins or loses; bets can be placed during matches in real time on everything from total points won in a game to whether a set goes to a tiebreak. 'We're talking individual player activities here,' said Hans Westerbeek, dean of the College of Sport and Exercise Science at Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia. 'It's much easier to get into a situation where you approach individual players to do things that can be, if done well, quite well hidden from it being suspicious.' He likens it to the ongoing battle against performance-enhancing drugs. 'You're always struggling to keep up with the innovations that a better-resourced front of gambling operators, legal or illegal, will have available to advance their technology.' Ryan Rodenberg, an associate professor of forensic sports law analytics at Florida State University, says this is one reason a more sophisticated approach is critically needed. He recommends an internal monitoring system that analyzes each match for suspicious activity in real time, rather than relying solely on betting alerts. 'A robust betting data-monitoring operation would have both in-house capabilities and a number of collaborative information sharing agreements with third parties such as sportsbooks, private monitoring firms or academics,' he said. 'Anything less is sub-optimal.' With a limited budget of just $3.23 million for 2017, however, there is only so much the TIU can do. As such, preventative measures such as education have become a priority. More than 25,000 players and officials have completed the TIU's online anti-corruption training program, and a new version will be launched that players will be required to complete every two years. 'Educating players who are up-and-coming and those who support those players is a very good, positive and necessary thing to do,' Westerbeek says. 'Because the root of the problem is ... people not really (understanding) they're engaging in criminal activity.' ___ AP Sports Writer John Pye contributed to this report. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 13th, 2017

Trial to begin for US policeman charged with George Floyd death

Nine months after George Floyd's death laid bare the racial wounds in the United States, the white policeman charged with murdering the 46-year-old Black man is going on trial......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated News3 hr. 25 min. ago

Lawmaker: Take down ‘no trespassing’ sign to foreign investors

It’s high time that the country’s 34-year-old virtual and clearly implied “no trespassing” sign to foreign investors is removed, so that the economy can flourish and the exodus of Filipinos seeking greener pastures abroad can be stopped, according to a member of the House of Representatives......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 1st, 2021

PH Hall of Fame honorees to receive P200,000 incentive each

By JEREMIAH SEVILLA Ten Filipino sports heroes will be inducted in the fourth batch of the Philippine Sports Hall of Fame later this year and each will receive a cash incentive.   The cash shall be increased from P100,000 to P200,000 to help the new batch of Hall of Famers with their needs during these trying […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsFeb 19th, 2021

US firms behind Agent Orange stand trial in France

Trân Tô Nga, a 78-year-old woman who fell victim to the herbicidal chemical cocktail known as Agent Orange, is taking the firms responsible for its production to court. The post US firms behind Agent Orange stand trial in France appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsFeb 19th, 2021

Killing of mother and son in Paniqui, Tarlac goes on trial

The trial hearing into the brutal killing of a mother and son in Paniqui, Tarlac by policeman Jonel Nuezca has finally started, almost two months after the incident made national headlines before Christmas last year......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 16th, 2021

Navalny goes on trial for slander

Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny went on trial Friday on charges of defaming a World War II veteran, days after being handed a nearly three-year prison term that sparked an international outcry......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 5th, 2021

P245 M allocated for Judges-at-Large Act; Angara sees faster resolution of cases

Sen. Juan Edgardo “Sonny” Angara assured the Judiciary Sunday it would be able to expedite the adjudication of several pending court cases with the funds Congress provided for the appointment of judges-at-large under the 2021 national budget.  Senator Juan Edgardo “Sonny” Angara (Senator Sonny Angara Official Facebook Page / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN) Angara, chairman of the Senate Committee on Finance, said a total of P244.988 million was included in the budget of the Judiciary for the implementation of Republic Act 11459 or the Judges-at-Large Act.Enacted on Aug. 13, 2019, the law mandates the creation of judges-at-large posts for the regional and municipal trial courts in order to decongest the courts of its dockets.These judges-at-large would have no permanent salas and may be assigned by the Supreme Court as acting or assisting judges to any Regional Trial Court (RTC) or Municipal Trial Court (MTC) in order to decongest the courts of its dockets.“For 2020, the first year of implementation of the law, we provided funding to cover for the creation of 50 judges-at-large posts,” Angara said in a statement.“For 2021, we will double the number of posts to 100 as requested by our Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta,” Angara said.The senator also said these judges-at-large are entitled to salaries, privileges, allowances, emoluments, benefits, rank, and title of regular RTC and MTC judges.Angara also said the Judiciary’s budget for 2021 also includes a P50-million augmentation to cover for the deployment of Judiciary marshals to secure the justices, judges, and other court officials.He said the inclusion of this funding was prompted by the appeals of the Judiciary for the creation of a judicial marshal service as the threats and attacks against judges and other court officials continue to take place in the country. The Senate is set to approve Senate Bill No. 1947 or the proposed Judiciary Marshals Act, of which Angara is one of the authors. Once approved, an office of the Judiciary marshals would be established under the Supreme Court and its continued funding will be ensured as part of the annual General Appropriations Act (GAA).“We want to sustain the implementation of the Judges-at-Large Act to help ensure the delivery of speedy justice in the country,” the lawmaker said.“With the appointment of more judges, we can expect to see the resolution of more cases and eventually free up the courts of its backlog,” Angara added. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsJan 17th, 2021

Ex-Enrile aide asks SC: Speed up plunder trial

Detained lawyer Jessica Lucila “Gigi” Reyes, who worked as chief of staff of former Senate president Juan Ponce Enrile, has asked the Supreme Court to act on her six-year detention on plunder charges in relation to her alleged involvement in the P10-billion pork barrel scam......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 16th, 2021

Nine policemen ordered arrested

The Department of Justice said Friday said the Jolo Regional Trial Court had issued an arrest warrant against the nine policemen accused of killing four soldiers in the town in June last year......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 15th, 2021

7 charged for Tsinoy’s kidnap

The police Anti-Kidnapping Group has filed charges against seven persons for kidnapping and holding a 21-year-old Filipino-Chinese man for a P200-million ransom in Quezon City on New Year’s Eve......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 12th, 2021

Pasig residents fined for firecracker use

At least seven households in an exclusive subdivision in Pasig City have been fined for lighting up firecrackers during New Year revelry......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 11th, 2021

Makabayan seeks probe on Dacera case handling by PNP in rush to clean image

Members of the progressive group said the PNP giving unvetted and inaccurate information on the case along with its "premature conclusions" had led peers of the 23-year-old being treated as suspects and subjected to a trial by publicity which caused undue stress......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 7th, 2021

Jordan Clarkson fined $25K for making contact with game official

This after the 28-year-old "made contact" with a game official in the Jazz's game against the Phoenix Suns on Thursday (Friday, Manila time)......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2021

Morey fined over Harden tweet

NEW YORK (AFP) — Philadelphia 76ers’ president of basketball operations Daryl Morey, whose tweet last year about Hong Kong protesters led to a National Basketball Association (NBA)-China rift, is in trouble again for another social media posting. The NBA said it has issued Morey a $50,000 fine for violating the league’s anti-tampering rule. The penalty […] The post Morey fined over Harden tweet appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsDec 30th, 2020

Chinese citizen journalist to face trial after Wuhan virus reporting

A citizen journalist detained in China after reporting from the Covid-19 ground zero of Wuhan will face trial later this month, her lawyer said Friday, as fears grow for her health. The coronavirus first emerged in central China late last year, and Beijing has faced accusations that it covered up the initial outbreak and silenced […] The post Chinese citizen journalist to face trial after Wuhan virus reporting appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 18th, 2020

First Person | The case of Rey

They kept Rey jailed because he had another case. This was in Lupon, Davao Oriental, where he has never set foot until case trial started after over a year in prison. Yet he was charged with murder and attempted murder against government troops in an alleged encounter between them and the New People’s Army (NPA). The post First Person | The case of Rey appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsDec 7th, 2020