Advertisements


Return of the Mac-killer: Nate Diaz ends hiatus at UFC 241

By Greg Beacham, Associated Press ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) — The mostly empty arena rumbled with outsized excitement when Nate Diaz stepped onto the stage. The fans erupted into cheers while Diaz lit a joint and took a big drag before doing a little shadowboxing for the cameras. Even before he said a word at his open workout four days before UFC 241, Diaz showed he can captivate an audience like no active fighter in the mixed martial arts world. Fighters can train for almost every skill in the game except charisma, and the Diaz brothers are laden with it. The younger Diaz (19-11) returns from a three-year hiatus on Saturday night, taking on Anthony Pettis in his first bout since his two showdowns with Conor McGregor in 2016. A heavyweight title rematch between Daniel Cormier and Stipe Miocic is the main event, but many fans at Honda Center and around the world will be watching mostly to see what Diaz does next. "I'm here as a businessman and a natural born killer," Diaz said. "I'm here to get the job done, and he's the guy to do it on, so there's no problem. It's all good with me. I'm just here to kill and stay alive for the weekend." Diaz and his older brother, Nick, receive a level of adulation in the MMA world that exceeds even their considerable accomplishments. It's difficult to explain the Diaz appeal to observers who don't have a full historical perspective on the pugnacious, thoughtful brothers' omnipresence in their sport's attitudes and images during the past 15 years, even when they weren't competing very often. Their swashbuckling attitude, angry disregard for authority, profane words of wisdom and athletic fighting styles all appeal tremendously to many people who support a young sport that's still seen as repellent counterculture by a big segment of mostly aging sports fans. Put it this way: A 22-year-old Nate Diaz once completed a submission finish with his legs while simultaneously thrusting two middle fingers in the air. You might love that or hate it, but you have an opinion. "That's the way I've been from Day One," Diaz said. "It's going to stay this way, too, until I'm 100 years old. I'm the Don of all this. If anybody is going to step in this room and say they're the (butt)-whipper, I beg to differ." Even Anthony Bourdain, the late traveler and gourmand, famously filmed a segment with Nick and Nate for his CNN show on Los Angeles, not because the Northern California natives knew much about LA and its cuisines — other than the best weed, probably — but simply because Bourdain, a jiu-jitsu practitioner and MMA fan, was fascinated by the brothers' outlaw ethos. Some of the brothers' behavior seems performative, but some of it isn't: Both Nick and Nate have essentially walked away from the UFC for long stretches of their prime, turning down countless millions in prize money because they refused to compromise what they considered to be their principles. Diaz split two tremendously entertaining matchups with McGregor and became one of the UFC's biggest stars in 2016, but he is 34 years old now, and Saturday's fight will be only his fifth since November 2013. Diaz said he felt mistreated by the UFC, although he struggles to explain how its persistent attempts to book one of its most popular fighters constitute disrespect. Diaz turned down matchups worth millions, including a probable shot at Georges St. Pierre, and he lost a chance to return last year when future champ Dustin Poirier was injured before their bout. Diaz also said he doesn't fight for money. He and his brother, Nick, who hasn't fought in nearly five years, are busy with Nick's thriving gym in their native Stockton, California. Nate said they've also got a successful CBD business, to absolutely nobody's surprise. "They've been trying to degrade me the whole time I've been out," Diaz said. "They're trying to put me low on the card against not very big names. They also tried to give me huge names, but those fell through. It don't matter. I believe I'm the main event in any event they've got. They'll do the best they can to keep me from that." Diaz's complaints are more likely a distilled version of that everyone-is-against-me mentality that drives so many athletes. But he was tempted back by a matchup with Pettis, who nurses a grudge against Diaz that apparently isn't mutual. Diaz dismissively refers to Pettis as "this Wheaties box" in reference to Pettis' former endorsement deal with the cereal, but has mostly ignored Pettis' pointed criticisms. Diaz won't say whether he plans to fight again, or whether he would like his first UFC title shot since 2012. He will stick to his own timetable and goals while nursing the same attitude that kept him on top of the UFC star pyramid even during three years away. "No one on the roster for the last three years even read the blueprints," Diaz said. "I'm right there. Why don't you go take it? And nobody did, and tomorrow, if some of these young guys say they're going to step up and take my position, I'm not with that.".....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: Sports22 hr. 2 min. ago Related News
Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: LifestyleAug 16th, 2019Related News

The Killer Bride Records High Pilot Ratings

The Killer Bride Records High Pilot Ratings.....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: LifestyleAug 15th, 2019Related News

KaTropa know full well they can t keep coming from behind in PBA Finals

TNT ran out of gas at the end of Game 4 of the 2019 PBA Commissioners' Cup Finals, Sunday at Araneta Coliseum. Battling back from being down by as much as 15 in the third quarter, the KaTropa could only come as close as two points for the remainder of the game. And in the end, they only saw San Miguel Beer knot up the best-of-seven championship series at 2-2. Of course, TNT could do nothing but lament the fact that it was at the wrong end of another killer run. "Start ng fourth quarter, ang laki na naman ng hinabol namin. For us to win, dapat 'di kami naghahabol," Jayson Castro told reporters post-game. In Game 4, the KaTropa actually had a one-point lead at halftime before the Beermen used a 12-0 run to mount the lead they would never relinquish. In Game 2, also a loss, the KaTropa also had to chase down a 14-point deficit after two quarters. And even in their Game 1 win, the KaTropa fell behind, 35-19, following the opening salvo. That could not keep happening if the flagship team of the MVP group is to win its first championship since 2015. "I feel like we're putting ourselves in a hole then climbing out of it, win or lose. We have to focus on starting the way we finish," Terrence Jones said. He then continued, "I think we're finishing games with desperation on defense and aggressiveness and everybody's trying to win. If we start games how we played in the second half, I think we'll be good." TNT would hope for just that when they re-engage with San Miguel in the pivotal Game 5, Wednesday still at the same venue. --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @riegogogo......»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsAug 11th, 2019Related News

Love Actually: Maja Salvador On What Makes Rambo Nuñez A Breed From The Rest

The 'Killer Bride' star is head over heels with her current beau!.....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: LifestyleAug 10th, 2019Related News
Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: LifestyleAug 10th, 2019Related News

ONE Championship: Eddie Alvarez believes he has Eduard Folayang figured out

Eddie “The Underground King” Alvarez says he has Eduard “Landslide” Folayang figured out ahead of their highly-anticipated showdown at ONE: DAWN OF HEROES. The pair of explosive strikers is scheduled to lock horns on Friday, 2 August at the Mall of Asia Arena in Manila, Philippines in a battle between two of the best strikers from both ends of the world. Easily the most decorated opponent that Folayang has to face, “The Underground King” sees the flaws in Folayang’s game, which he hopes to expose on Friday. “Eduard is very strong, very tricky, and explodes into his combinations. I am not a wushu fighter, if we made this a wushu fight, Eduard will probably win - but this is not a wushu fight. This is MMA,” Alvarez said. “We can go to the ground, we can go stand up, wrestle, box, this is everything. And I have been doing MMA longer than anybody on this whole card. I am the better fighter by far. I can go more places for a longer period of time.” The former UFC and Bellator Lightweight World Champion believes that Folayang is a fish out of water whenever a match goes to the ground. Folayang is coming off a first-round submission loss to Shinya “Tobikan Judan” Aoki in the main event of ONE: A NEW ERAlast March where he dropped his ONE Lightweight World Title to the Japanese submission wizard. Notorious for his striking power in both hands, Alvarez says that he is willing to mix it up if that is what it will take to get the victory. “Eduard throws a lot of surprise attacks. Ideally you take him down, and none of that works, right? Take him to the ground and nothing he’s done for his whole life works,” the 35-year-old from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said. “We’ve seen what happened with Aoki, he was lost on the ground. That’s an option. Also an option is to use my boxing, I feel like I have better boxing.” While he is thinking of ways to beat Folayang, Alvarez still has nothing but praise and respect for the man touted as the face of Philippine mixed martial arts. Pleasantries aside, Alvarez made it clear that he flew all the way to Manila to break the hearts of Filipino fans. “I’m a championship killer, man. Look at my resume. I can rattle off name upon name of champions that I’ve demolished,” Alvarez said. “This is another champion. Eduard doesn’t have the belt, but he’s a champion. Once a champion, always a champion. So to me this is another champion that I can put around my necklace. Knockout or submission, the fight will be finished.”   Want to catch ONE: DAWN OF HEROES? Get your tickets here and use the codeword ONEHERO for a 25 percent discount. A special limited-edition Eduard Folayang - Eddie Alvarez shirt will be sold on event night. Catch ONE: DAWN OF HEROES live on ABS-CBN S+A channel 23 starting at 8:30 PM. Livestream will be available on the ABS-CBN Facebook Page and on iWant  .....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsAug 1st, 2019Related News

Duterte adik sa trabaho, hindi na natutulog; Ipe, Robin nag-aalala

MULING mapapanood sa telebisyon ang isa sa controversial stars nu’ng dekada ‘80 na si Jobelle Salvador. Kasama siya sa cast ng bagong teleserye sa Primetime Bida ng ABS-CBN na pinagbibidahan nina Maja Salvador at Janella Salvador, ang The Killer Bride. Naging malaking isyu sa showbiz noon ang pagkakaugnay ni Jobelle sa hottest action star during […] The post Duterte adik sa trabaho, hindi na natutulog; Ipe, Robin nag-aalala appeared first on Bandera......»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: NewsJul 31st, 2019Related News

Jobelle may payo kay Janella: Marami ka pang pagdaraanan

Mistulang reunion naman para kay Jobelle Salvador at mga kamag-anak na sina Maja at Janella ang pagsasama-sama nila sa The Killer Bride. Tulad ni Jobelle na naging masalimuot din ang lovelife niya when she was younger, matindi rin ang pinagdaanan ni Janella nitong nakaraang taon. “Medyo napag-usapan namin ‘yung kanyang rebel years and she’s just […] The post Jobelle may payo kay Janella: Marami ka pang pagdaraanan appeared first on Bandera......»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: NewsJul 31st, 2019Related News

The Killer Bride mas matindi kaysa Wildflower, ayon kay Maja Salvador

NEXT month ay nakatakdang ipalabas sa ABS-CBN Primetime Bida ang pinakabago at pinakamalaking teleserye na “Killer Bride” na pagbibidahan nina Maja Salvador, Geoff Eigenmann, Janella Salvador at Joshua Garcia at lampas 22 stars ang bubuo sa seryeng ito na idinirek ni Dado Lumibao. At sa kanilang grand mediacon sinabi ni Maja na mas matindi pa ........»»

Source: Hatawtabloid HatawtabloidCategory: MoviesJul 30th, 2019Related News

Jobelle Salvador engaged na; ibinuking ang ’sikreto’ ni Maja

WHEN Jobelle Salvador was asked kung may love life siya after the presscon of The Killer Bride, she initially didn’t answer the question. All she did was to flash an engagement ring na in fairness ay malaki ang diamond, ha, bilang sagot sa katanungan. “I’m engaged, she curtly said. Although she did not mention the […] The post Jobelle Salvador engaged na; ibinuking ang ’sikreto’ ni Maja appeared first on Bandera......»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: NewsJul 28th, 2019Related News

Joshua dedma muna sa mga babae: Trabaho po muna ako

NATANONG si Joshua Garcia sa presscon ng The Killer Bride kung ano na ang state ng kanyang kalagayan after the controversial Julia Baretto-Gerald Anderson brouhaha. “Ako po ay okay na okay po ako,” the actor quipped. Kinumusta siya kung paano niya hina-handle ang unos sa kanyang buhay. Without referring to the Julia-Gerald controversy, sumagot naman […] The post Joshua dedma muna sa mga babae: Trabaho po muna ako appeared first on Bandera......»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: NewsJul 27th, 2019Related News

Joshua Garcia sa isyung si Gerald Anderson ang ipinalit sa kanya ni Julia Barretto: ‘Okey lang ako!’

DURING the presscon of The Killer Bride, ang pinakabagong teleserye ng ABS-CBN na mapapanood sa primetime bida,  ay hindi lang ako ang nakapansin na malungkot ang mga mata ni Joshua Garcia. Hindi raw ito katulad ng … Read More The post Joshua Garcia sa isyung si Gerald Anderson ang ipinalit sa kanya ni Julia Barretto: ‘Okey lang ako!’ appeared first on Pinoy Parazzi......»»

Source: Pinoyparazzi PinoyparazziCategory: NewsJul 27th, 2019Related News

“The Killer Bride,” nanakot sa unang trailer

Manila, Philippines – Inilabas na ang unang trailer ng “The Killer Bride,” pinagbibidahan ni Maja Salvador. Tungkol ang serye kay Camila (Maja) na excited na pakasalan ang kaniyang minamahal na si Vito (Geoff Eigenmann). Gayunpaman, sa araw ng kanilang kasal, si Camila ay nagising na lamang na may hawak na kutsilyo at puno ng dugo […] The post “The Killer Bride,” nanakot sa unang trailer appeared first on REMATE ONLINE......»»

Source: Remate RemateCategory: NewsJul 26th, 2019Related News

Busy with work: Joshua Garcia says he s okay

MANILA, Philippines – Joshua Garcia remains focused on his work amid the controversy involving his love team partner Julia Barretto . At the July 25 press conference for the upcoming show The Killer Bride where is one of the cast members, Joshua was asked how he was doing without going into specifics. "Ako po ay ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsJul 26th, 2019Related News

Duterte Offers Bounty for Head of Lead Killer of 4 Police

MANILA, PHILIPPINES - Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte offered a bounty to anybody who can deliver to him the head of the communist rebel leader behind the killings of four police intelligence.....»»

Source: Manilanews ManilanewsCategory: NewsJul 26th, 2019Related News

Duterte Offers Bounty for Head of Lead Killer of 4 Police

MANILA, PHILIPPINES - Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte offered a bounty to anybody who can deliver to him the head of the communist rebel leader behind the killings of four police intelligence.....»»

Source: Philippinetimes PhilippinetimesCategory: NewsJul 25th, 2019Related News

KILLER DENGUE

Manila, Philippines – Tag-ulan na siyempre nandiyan ang nauuso na namang iba’t ibang sakit gaya ng dengue na sinasabing numero unong sakit na nagpapahirap sa mga tinatamaan nito. Nagkaka-dengue ang mga kinakagat ng mga lamok na may dalang virus ng dengue at  number one killer ito ngayon. Kaya piinapayuhan natin ang mga kababayan natin na […] The post KILLER DENGUE appeared first on REMATE ONLINE......»»

Source: Remate RemateCategory: NewsJul 21st, 2019Related News

The millennial bride

For this bridal fashion editorial, Uptown/Downtown collaborated with top designers Rajo Laurel, Ito Curata, Luis de los Santos and Albert Andrada......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsJul 20th, 2019Related News

Aicelle Santos aminadong bride-zilla

AICELLE Santos has admitted to being a bride-zilla. Well, somewhat. The internationally-renowned singer-actress shared in a recent interview how she involved herself in everything related to her upcoming marriage to Mark Zambrano – down to the very smallest detail. She reasoned, “It’s special so, you know, ayokong basta i-asa na lang. I have to make […].....»»

Source: Tempo TempoCategory: NewsJul 17th, 2019Related News