Advertisements


Filipino living near Indonesia volcano eruption site safe - DFA

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) confirmed on Thursday that it has tracked the Filipino national living near the volcanic eruption site in northern Sulawesi, Indonesia. Oscar Orcine, Philipp.....»»

Source: Philippinetimes PhilippinetimesCategory: NewsOct 5th, 2018Related News

DFA trying to reach Filipino near volcanic eruption site in Indonesia

A Filipino who lives near an Indonesian island affected by a volcanic eruption is being tracked down by authorities, the Deaprtment of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said in a statement on Wednesday. At around 8:47 a.m. on Wednesday, Mount Supotan in Sulawesi, Indonesia spewed a massive column of ash. READ:Volcano erupts on same Indonesian island hit earlier by quake, tsunami Oscar Orcine, Philippine Consulate General in Indonesia reported to DFA that they are trying to get in touch with the Filipino who is also a retired employee of Orcine. The Filipino is living with his Indonesian wife and son near the volcano at 45 kilometers from Manado, Indonesia. Meanwhile, Orcine said 144 Filip...Keep on reading: DFA trying to reach Filipino near volcanic eruption site in Indonesia.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: Oct 3rd, 2018Related News

Sorsogon to allow tourists back to Bulusan Volcano park

LEGAZPI CITY (PIA) - The Bulusan Natural Park in Sorsogon province is set to reopen its tourist area to accommodate visitors, over a year after preventing access to it due to the eruption of Mt. Bulus.....»»

Source: Manilanews ManilanewsCategory: NewsAug 24th, 2018Related News

Billy tsinugi sa ‘Showtime’?

Ang simpleng tweet ni Kim Atienza tungkol kina Billy Crawford, Coleen Garcia at Eruption that they will always be a It’s Showtime family ay nagbigay ng duda kung si Billy ba ay umalis na sa nasabing daily noontime show. Ilang mga episode na rin ngang hindi nakikita ang TV host kahit maging hurado man lang… link: Billy tsinugi sa ‘Showtime’?.....»»

Source: Manilainformer ManilainformerCategory: Aug 21st, 2018Related News

LPU s Ayaay announces his presence with Player of the Week plum

Lyceum has not lost in its last 25 elimination round games - and the rest of the NCAA knew it. That’s why after hulking Letran took defending champion San Beda to the distance in their overtime loss a week ago, the Knights knew they had a shot at beating the Pirates in their next game. Come last Friday, though, MJ Ayaay just shot that hope down. With Lyceum down 65-76 in the final 6:06 of their contest, the graduating forward steered the Pirates’ ship away from a wreck by scoring six of his season-high 20 points in that same frame. Along with top star CJ Perez, Ayaay led the Season 93 finalists in turning an 11-point hole into an 85-81 win that clinched for them their 26th straight in the elimination round and eighth in a row for Season 94.  The Lyceum captain also added four rebounds and two steals off the bench en route to being named the Chooks-to-Go NCAA Press Corps Player of the Week. Prior to this eruption, he was just averaging 7.7 points a game on a 32 percent clip. And so, he and his team went back to the basics. “Ramdam na ramdam namin yung mga ibang team na gusto kaming talunin,” Ayaay shared. “Sabi ko lang sa kanila, enjoy lang. The past few games kami hindi na kami nag-iismile. Feeling namin palagi pagod kami at nakokontento kami. Kailangan lang namin i-enjoy yung laro.” The Pirate senior bested Perpetual’s Kim Aurin, San Beda’s Javee Mocon, JRU’s Jed Mendoza, and St. Benilde’s Justin Gutang for the weekly award......»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsAug 20th, 2018Related News

Eric Tai, wife Rona expecting first child

MANILA, Philippines – Amazing Race Asia season 5's Eric "Eruption" Tai and wife Rona are going to be parents. The two announced on Monday, August 13, that Rona is pregnant with their first child. Rona confirmed in an inteview that she's 6 weeks pregnant.  Eric, who previously hosted It's Showtime shared a ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsAug 15th, 2018Related News

Zimbabwean soldiers beating up opposition, rights group says

Zimbabwean security forces and unidentified gunmen have beaten and harassed dozens of people in a crackdown on the political opposition following a disputed election, Human Rights Watch said Tuesday, while a joint statement by the United States, European Union and others condemned the "eruption of violence.".....»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsAug 8th, 2018Related News

USS Ronald Reagan Sailors Volunteer to Help Mayon Eruption Victims

Thirty Sailors assigned to the forward-deployed aircraft carrier, USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), participated in a community volunteer project with the Republic of the Philippines National Response and Logistics Management Service (NRLMS), June 28. During the project, Sailors helped pack more than 3,000 boxes of food items to be delivered to victims of the January […].....»»

Source: Metrocebu MetrocebuCategory: NewsJul 8th, 2018Related News

After months of quiet, Mayon volcano erupts again

LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – Following months of quiet, Mount Mayon erupted again on Sunday afternoon, July 1, sending white to light gray ash clouds 500 meters up the sky. The eruption took place around 12:30 pm on Sunday. This was months after the Philippine Institute of Volcanology ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsJul 1st, 2018Related News

Phivolcs: Phreatic explosion recorded on Mayon

Phivolcs: Phreatic explosion recorded on Mayon.....»»

Source: Bicolstandard BicolstandardCategory: NewsJul 1st, 2018Related News

Valuing volcanoes

This is a sequel to my article on Mt. Kilauea in Hawaii, which, up to this writing, continues to spew molten lava, destroying more than 600 houses now. In addition, with the devastation and damage of the Mt. Pinatubo eruption last April 1991 still fresh in our minds, appreciating and valuing volcanoes seems a crazy […] The post Valuing volcanoes appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Source: Thedailyguardian ThedailyguardianCategory: NewsJun 24th, 2018Related News

Phivolcs not lowering Mayon’s alert level

Mayon Volcano’s alert stays at Level 2 due to the possibility of a “recurring eruption,” an official of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said yesterday......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsJun 21st, 2018Related News

How USGS monitored and coordinated during 1991 Pinatubo eruption using fax machines

The US Geological Survey recalled on the 27th anniversary of the Pinatubo eruption how they and their Filipino counterparts were able to work together in monitoring and issuing evacuation warnings without the use of the modern internet back in 1991. In an article by the United States Geological Survey, they remembered how they dealt with […].....»»

Source: Interaksyon InteraksyonCategory: TopJun 19th, 2018Related News

Guatemala volcano search called off with nearly 200 unaccounted for

GUATEMALA CITY, Guatemala – Authorities on Sunday, June 17, called off a search for the nearly 200 people missing since Guatemala's Fuego volcano erupted earlier this month, devastating the surrounding countryside. Officials have confirmed the deaths of 110 people as a result of the volcanic eruption on June 3, but another ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsJun 18th, 2018Related News

Pinatubo’s ashes continue to test Aeta resilience

(Last of three parts)   BOTOLAN, Zambales --- Genardo Cosme, 70, scanned his surroundings as he tried to recall how long it had been since he and other Aeta planted trees on their new community after they escaped the fury of Mount Pinatubo.   "It was a long time ago. As soon as we set foot here, we planted those trees that you see now," said Cosme pointed at a row of mango trees surrounding their new homes 27 years after Pinatubo erupted.   Holding a cane with his right hand, Cosme pointed to the vegetation, which, he said, was abundant before the eruption destroyed their tribal community inside Pinatubo's dense forest.   The eruption force...Keep on reading: Pinatubo’s ashes continue to test Aeta resilience.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: Jun 17th, 2018Related News

Pinatubo reforestation largely in private hands

(Second of three parts)   PORAC, PAMPANGA---Benzon King was 19 years old when Mt. Pinatubo blew its top on June 15, 1991 after more than 400 years of slumber.   The forced exodus of his family to the lowlands kept him away from the mountain but his memories of its beautiful verdant forests could not be erased 27 years after the Pinatubo eruption.   "The trees were so large that a trunk of lauan or palosapis filled a truck. Inside the forest, it was cool. It was free air-con. We also hunted wild pigs and chickens that rested on big 'balete' trees. And there were 'lagutok' and 'pakpak lawin' orchids [which] our folks sold in the lowlands," King said. ...Keep on reading: Pinatubo reforestation largely in private hands.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: Jun 16th, 2018Related News

27 years after eruption: Reviving forests ravaged by Mt. Pinatubo

(First of three parts)   PORAC, PAMPANGA---The usually quiet Miranda King doesn't need goading to enumerate what his tribe had lost after Mt. Pinatubo exploded on June 15, 1991, in the 20th century's second largest volcanic eruption.   "Bagbag" (or forests in the Aeta language) tops that list, according to King, the elder of Barangay Inararo in Porac town.   The eruptions forced King and hundreds of Aeta people to flee. He settled back in Inararo in 2012 after living for five years in Nueva Ecija province and spending 15 years shuttling between the Villa Maria resettlement site at the foot of Pinatubo and climbing back to his home village to farm. ...Keep on reading: 27 years after eruption: Reviving forests ravaged by Mt. Pinatubo.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: Jun 15th, 2018Related News

Grim task as forensic experts ID Guatemala volcano victims

    ESCUINTLA, Guatemala — Forensic experts worked Friday on the grim task of identifying dozens of bodies charred beyond recognition by the eruption of Guatemala’s Volcano of Fire, a disaster that has left at least 110 confirmed dead and nearly 200 still missing. Even as search and recovery efforts were suspended for a second… link: Grim task as forensic experts ID Guatemala volcano victims.....»»

Source: Manilainformer ManilainformerCategory: Jun 9th, 2018Related News

Scientists have no idea when Hawaii eruption would end

Honolulu --- Lava from the Kilauea volcano that flowed into Kapoho Bay has created nearly a mile of new land and officials with the U.S. Geological Survey said Thursday the flow is still very active and there's no way to know when the eruption will end or if more lava-spewing vents will open. The fast-moving lava poured into the low-laying coastal Hawaii neighborhoods in just two days this week, destroying hundreds of homes. "Lava continues to enter the ocean along a broad front in Kapoho Bay and the Vacationland area and it continues to creep north of what remains of Kapoho Beach Lots," said USGS geologist Janet Babb. As the lava marched toward the bay, it vaporized Hawaii's la...Keep on reading: Scientists have no idea when Hawaii eruption would end.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: Jun 8th, 2018Related News

Hope Solo says don t vote for US World Cup bid

By Rob Harris, Associated Press LONDON (AP) — A World Cup winner and Olympic champion with the United States, Hope Solo now wants her country to lose one of its biggest soccer contests: FIFA's vote on the 2026 World Cup host. "I can't say it should be awarded to Morocco," Solo told The Associated Press. "But I don't think it should go to the United States, and that's hard to say." Concerns about the financial dealings of the United States Soccer Federation and the closed men's league system led Solo to that conclusion. By choosing to actively campaign against the U.S.-led North America bid, Solo risks alienating herself further from the soccer community in her homeland. The bid leadership was exasperated when informed Solo was undermining their efforts heading into Wednesday's vote, dismissing her criticism of the governance of soccer but declining to go on the record in detail. This is not an isolated eruption against U.S. Soccer. Solo has reason to be disgruntled. After 202 international appearances — a record for an American goalkeeper — Solo was fired over an outburst at the 2016 Olympics against the opposition and a series of off-the-field controversies. In an attempt to take control of the organization that ostracized her, Solo ran for the U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) presidency in February. There was a resounding verdict: Solo garnered only 1.4 percent of the vote to finish last out of five candidates. Solo still wants to be heard to try to secure equal pay and equal treatment for the U.S. women's team, and force Major League Soccer to open up the closed competition. Her gripes provide a counterpoint to the loyal championing of the American World Cup bid by David Beckham in a video released by MLS, where the former England captain is launching a team in Miami. That is only possible because Beckham secured a cut-price deal for an expansion franchise as part of his contract to play for the Los Angeles Galaxy. "That is not helping the sport in America," Solo said. "I want to see promotion-relegation in the NASL and the MLS. Right now it's true, you have rich ownership groups owning MLS teams and they're only getting richer and they're alienating everybody else. "A new ownership group can't just come in and purchase a team even though they have the financial security, even though they have the commitment. It's controlled by those single individuals at Soccer United Marketing, MLS in particular, (Commissioner) Don Garber." FIFA's statutes enshrine the principle of a system of promotion and relegation in domestic competitions to ensure participation "shall depend principally on sporting merit." The regulations then say that qualification can be subject to other criteria including "financial considerations." MLS stridently defended itself against Solo's criticism, saying team owners have invested more than $3 billion in stadium and training facilities to grow the sport because it's a closed league. "The structure that we have has given owners certainty to make that type of investment," MLS President and Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott told the AP. "Had we had a system of promotion and relegation it would not have been possible to generate that level of investment from owners, local communities or private banks that help to fund some of these facilities." Solo also questioned Garber's role overseeing MLS and Soccer United Marketing, which is the exclusive marketing partner of U.S. Soccer, while also sitting on the USSF board. "There are too many conflicts of interest that need to be addressed immediately," Solo said. Garber represents MLS on the U.S. Soccer board but recuses himself from discussions about the "sanctioning of other professional leagues in the U.S.," Abbott responded on behalf of the commissioner. Turning on the USSF, Solo said the organization lacks integrity and highlights the absence of an independent ethics committee, which FIFA has. She also filed a claim with the U.S. Olympic Committee, saying the USSF violates a law that offers protections for athletes, alleging improper conditions for soccer players. "If you're an Olympic sport, your national governing body, every NGB has an obligation to give resources and funds to all of its members, not just professional and amateur players or Paralympic team women's teams or youth teams," Solo said. "But what U.S. Soccer does is they give the money directly to the pro teams. So it's in violation of the Ted Stevens Act and I have a hearing in a couple weeks in front of the Olympic Committee. "I also met with Congress members recently. I went to Capitol Hill, met with Republicans and Democrats, and there's a lot of interest to make sure that U.S. Soccer is an organization that actually is run transparently, has integrity and is an open and honest national governing body." Up to 207 soccer federations will vote next Wednesday in Moscow on whether North America or Morocco should host the 2026 World Cup, or the bidding should be reopened by choosing "none of the above." In FIFA's inspections report, North America's bid, which includes Canada and Mexico as minority partners, scored 402 out of 500, while Morocco was marked 275 in part due to a lack of infrastructure. "Hopefully FIFA can stand up and step in and say, 'If we're going to reward you, let's look at everything and point out where you can fix certain things,'" Solo said. Her call for greater transparency from the USSF came after speaking at the London launch conference for the Foundation for Sports Integrity, which has one named official who would not disclose the source of funding for the group or who paid to hire lavish facilities at a Four Seasons hotel. "I want to put my faith and trust in people," Solo said. "Who's funding it? That's no different from the way a lot of organizations are run.".....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsJun 8th, 2018Related News