Advertisements


Boxing official warns time running out in Olympic standoff - The Manila Times Online

Boxing official warns time running out in Olympic standoff The Manila Times Time is rapidly running out to organize an Olympic tournament in 2020, the executive director of the International Boxing A.....»»

Source: Manilanews ManilanewsCategory: News2 hr. 45 min. ago Related News

Rice self-sufficiency not achievable

THE Philippines stands to miss its goal of achieving 100-percent rice self-sufficiency given the liberalization of imports, a Cabinet official warned on Thursday. Breaking from the official line, Agriculture Secretary…READ The post Rice self-sufficiency not achievable appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Source: Manilatimes ManilatimesCategory: 8 hr. 32 min. ago Related News

PHL, Japan officials meet on infrastructure updates

PHILIPPINE officials are headed to Osaka this week for meetings with Japanese counterparts on plans for the new Bangsamoro region as well as infrastructure projects funded by official development assistance (ODA)......»»

Source: Bworldonline BworldonlineCategory: FinanceFeb 20th, 2019Related News

Fire guts 200 houses in Davao coastal barangay

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 20 Feb) – Around 200 houses, including stilt houses of Badjao families, had been destroyed after a fire broke out in Purok 4, Isla Verde, Barangay 23-C here Wednesday afternoon, an official of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) 11 said. SFO2 Ramil Gillado, officer-in-charge of the Intelligence and Investigation Unit of […].....»»

Source: Mindanews MindanewsCategory: NewsFeb 20th, 2019Related News

Gray parade: Expect heavy traffic in Manila, Pasay, Makati - Inquirer News

Gray parade: Expect heavy traffic in Manila, Pasay, Makati INQUIRER.net Miss Universe 2018 Catriona Gray will literally stop traffic when she goes around parts of Metro Manila for her official homeco.....»»

Source: Manilanews ManilanewsCategory: NewsFeb 20th, 2019Related News

European Bank Plans Expansion In Philippines : Global : Business Times

European Bank Plans Expansion In Philippines Business Times A bank based in the European Union is planning to expand its business to the Philippines. Banko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) official said th.....»»

Source: Manilanews ManilanewsCategory: NewsFeb 20th, 2019Related News

LRT-2, MRT-3 lift liquid ban

Bottled water and other liquids are again allowed at Light Rail Transit 2 (LRT-2) and Mass Rail Transit 3 (MRT-3) trains and stations, the management of the LRT-2 and MRT-3 announced Wednesday. The temporary lifting on the liquid ban follows as the LRT-2 management awaits the official rules and regulations to be released by the […].....»»

Source: Tribune TribuneCategory: NewsFeb 20th, 2019Related News

Senior Israeli gov’t exec in Manila for political, economic, security talks

https://twitter.com/GiladCohen_/status/1098095008698302465 MANILA, Philippines --- A senior Israeli government official is in Manila for political, economic and security talks to follow through President Duterte's historic visit to Israel last September.   Gilad Cohen, deputy director general for Asia and the Pacific of the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said Duterte's visit opened the floodgates for more cooperation in a wide range of common interests such as agriculture, security, science, tourism and labor agreements.   "It was very, very important for me to come to the Philippines," Cohen told the Inquirer on Monday ahead of his dialogue with various Ph...Keep on reading: Senior Israeli gov’t exec in Manila for political, economic, security talks.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: Feb 20th, 2019Related News

What to expect from Catriona Gray s grand homecoming

MANILA, Philippines – Miss Universe 2018 Catriona Gray is finally back in town and gearing up for her official homecoming. The fourth Filipino Miss Universe arrived last February 16 ahead of her homecoming events. Here's what's you can expect this week. (SCHEDULE: Miss Universe 2018 Catriona Gray's homecoming ) Press conference Catriona will meet Philippine media in a ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsFeb 20th, 2019Related News

Trump nominates successor to one-time head of Russia probe

WASHINGTON, DC, USA – The Trump administration announced Tuesday, February 19, it was nominating a successor to deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein, a move that confirms the departure of the Justice Department official who until recently oversaw the Russia probe. Rosenstein will be replaced by Jeffrey Rosen, the current deputy secretary ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsFeb 20th, 2019Related News

WATCH: Official S10+, Galaxy Buds commercial leaks

MANILA, Philippines – There isn't a lot of mystery left with Samsung's new flagship, the S10, especially with the accidental release of a TV commercial in Norway.  The Verge received a tip from one Endre Loeset, presumably Norwegian, who saw the 30-second ad and recorded it off of TV 2, said to ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsFeb 20th, 2019Related News

Column: Spieth keeping patience amid worst slump of career

By Doug Ferguson, Associated Press MEXICO CITY (AP) — For a brief moment, Jordan Spieth had reason to believe he finally caught a good break with a bad shot. He was trying to hit a hard, low draw on the fifth hole of the final round at Riviera into a strong wind and a light rain. Instead, it caught the heel of his 3-wood and spun out to the right, smacked off a tree and went further back next to a fence, just beyond a white out-of-bounds stake. Good news: The rules official said the stake was left there by accident. "He said, 'That's not supposed to be there.' He literally picked up the white stake and said, 'This isn't ours,'" Spieth said. "So I got it out." Bad news? "I still made triple," he said with a laugh. Spieth can still find humor amid the worst slump of his career, or what amounts to a slump for a 25-year-old who already has 14 victories worldwide, including three legs of the career Grand Slam. He picked up his third major in the 2017 British Open when he his tee shot caromed off a spectator's head and into the dunes right of the 13th fairway at Royal Birkdale. He hit 3-wood after a penalty drop on the driving range, somehow escaped with bogey, and then went birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie to win. That was 37 tournaments ago, and it's starting to feel even longer. Coming off the first winless year of his pro career, Spieth made a last-minute decision to play the Sony Open in Hawaii to shake off the rust from a busy offseason that included getting married. He missed the cut. Since then, he has opened with rounds of 65 at Torrey Pines, 66 at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am and 64 at Riviera. He has yet to break par on the weekend. His best result was a tie for 35th at Torrey. The weekends have been an issue, and Spieth said as much after he finished his first round at Riviera. "I got off to good starts my last couple events and I need to continue to work hard to improve each day here instead of getting complacent and assuming my game is there," he said. "It's still not quite there tee-to-green." Two days later, he went into the final round in a tie for fourth, eight shots behind Justin Thomas. He shot 81. That triple bogey on No. 5 was only part of his troubles. Just as the rain began, Spieth fanned a 4-iron on the second hole that sailed so far right that it went into the bushes high on the hill. He had to take a penalty drop and made double bogey. After the triple bogey on No. 5, his round really came unglued on the par-4 10th. He made a quadruple-bogey 8, with five of those shots from the sand. One went over the green into a plugged like near the back lip. He popped that into the middle of the sand, and his fourth shot caught too much sand and plugged under the lip. The fifth was to get back into the bottom of the bunker — plugged again — and he got that one out and two-putted for 8. The 81 matched his highest score to par, though it wasn't all that jolting to sign his name beneath that number on his card. "Not when you're 10 over after 10 and have the hardest holes to play," he said. "I thought I played pretty well after that." The game is progressing. The results — the ultimate measure in golf — are still a work in progress. It's one thing that Spieth is at No. 24 in the world after starting 2018 at No. 2. It's another to realize he has played six tournaments this season and is No. 175 in the FedEx Cup standings. Perhaps most startling is how infrequently he's even had a chance to win. In the last year, Spieth has only had three tournaments where he started the final round within five shots of the lead or closer. The most recent was at the TPC Boston, where he shot 70 and tied for 12th. It has proven to be a long road back from a year in which he struggled with his putter, and when that came around, his swing got out of sorts. Riviera was his 11th straight time out of the top 10, his longest such streak since he started in 2013. Is his patience being tested? "I don't think so," he said. "It's something that comes with what I'm working on." He said at the start of the year he felt no pressure to get his game turned around quickly. He was more concerned last year when something was off in his game and he wasn't quite sure what it was. "That's not an easy feeling," he said. For five years, he did a lot right without really knowing why. And when it stopped, he had to figure it out. Spieth pays little attention to any form of media, social or otherwise, and would prefer to keep it that way. He shared as much in Hawaii when he said, "I know what's wrong with Jordan Spieth, and I know what's right with Jordan Spieth. I know how to get where I want to go with my golf game and have fun doing it.".....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsFeb 20th, 2019Related News

AP source: Machado, Padres agrees to $300M, 10-year deal

By Bernie Wilson, Associated Press SAN DIEGO (AP) — With their city’s long-suffering fans desperate for a winner, the rebuilding San Diego Padres delivered their splashiest free agent signing ever by agreeing with All-Star infielder Manny Machado on a $300 million, 10-year deal. A person familiar with the negotiations confirmed the deal to The Associated Press on Tuesday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the agreement was subject to a successful physical and had not been announced. Machado can opt out after five years and become a free agent again, the person said. Machado’s agreement would be the second-largest in baseball history behind Giancarlo Stanton’s $325 million, 13-year deal signed with the Miami Marlins ahead of the 2015 season. It would be the highest deal for a free agent, topping Alex Rodriguez’s $275 million, 10-year contract with the New York Yankees from 2008-17. More records may be broken soon. Free agent outfielder Bryce Harper could top Stanton’s deal in coming days or weeks. That won’t matter a bit to Padres fans, who have never celebrated a World Series title and were keeping their fingers crossed in recent days as it became apparent that their team, with a mostly sad-sack history stretching back a half-century, actually had a chance at landing Machado, who is only 26. Some fans seemed braced for yet another disappointment. But news of the deal was greeted with euphoria on social media. Speaking at spring training in Peoria, Arizona, Padres executive chairman Ron Fowler said: “We do not have a deal with any free agent player. We are continuing discussions, and that’s all we have to say.” Teams draw a distinction between an agreement subject to a physical and a finalized deal. While Fowler looked serious, general partner Peter Seidler couldn’t help but smile while waiting for his turn to speak. Without confirming the deal, Seidler — a nephew of former Los Angeles Dodgers owner Peter O’Malley — spoke of what his ownership group wants to bring to San Diego, where the Padres play in a gem of a ballpark just off the bay. “Ron and I, we love the city of San Diego, we love sports in San Diego, but we’re also well aware of the history. There’s never been a championship from a major sports franchise in San Diego. ... We as an organization want to completely change that. We want our franchise to win year after year after year. And we’re going to do whatever we can rationally do to help make that happen.” The Padres lost 96 games last year, haven’t had a winning season since 2010 and haven’t been to the playoffs since 2006. They haven’t won a playoff series since the 1998 NL Championship against Atlanta. They were routed in their two World Series appearances, by Detroit in 1984 and the New York Yankees in 1998. And they’ve had the city’s big league sports scene to themselves since the NFL’s Chargers moved to the Los Angeles area two seasons ago. The Chargers did win the AFL title in 1963 but were blown out by San Francisco in their only Super Bowl appearance, after the 1994 season. Other than the AFL title, the biggest championships won around here were probably Little League World Series titles in 2009 by Park View of Chula Vista and in 1961 by El Cajon-La Mesa Northern, which included Brian Sipe, who won the NFL’s MVP Award in 1980. Padres players were ecstatic, even though the signing was not yet official. Catcher Austin Hedges was headed toward bunting drills when he heard the news. He pumped his fists and said, “I’m just that excited about bunting.” “You see me smiling right here,” said first baseman Eric Hosmer, who exactly a year ago earlier finalized a $144 million, eight-year deal with San Diego. “We’ve all been practicing today, obviously. We’ve all kind heard what’s been going on, and all we can say is he’s a guy we’d love to have, and I think it changes things pretty quickly if we do have him here. “He’s one of the top guys in the league,” Hosmer added. “Obviously extremely young free agent that’s got a lot of amazing baseball left in him and he’s already had a lot of amazing baseball in his career. We’re all just glad he’ll hopefully be here with us in San Diego.” The Padres have been rebuilding mostly with prospects and draft picks since a failed win-now approach with high-priced veterans in 2015. Machado is expected to fill the team’s glaring need at third base. He began last year at shortstop with Baltimore, was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers after the All-Star break and split time and shortstop and third. He struck out to end the World Series loss to Boston. With Machado on board, the next big move for the Padres is expected to be the promotion of shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr., the 20-year-old son of a former big leaguer and the No. 2 overall prospect in baseball. A four-time All-Star, Machado hit .297 last year and set career bests with 37 homers and 107 RBIs. A four-time All-Star and two-time Gold Glove winner, he has a .282 career average with 175 homers and 513 RBIs in seven big league seasons. The Chicago White Sox were among the teams that pursued Machado, trying to get in position for a second title under owner Jerry Reinsdorf, who turns 83 next week. “Still in a bit of disbelief,” executive vice president Kenny Williams said. “I feel we put our best foot forward. Jerry, in particular, really stepped up.” Machado also met with the Yankees, a team that had expressed concern over Machado’s remarks about hustling — not hustling, actually — during the playoffs. After failing to run out a grounder in the NL Championship Series, Machado said: “Obviously I’m not going to change, I’m not the type of player that’s going to be ‘Johnny Hustle’ and run down the line and slide to first base.” Machado tried to clarify his remarks after the season, saying, “looking back, it doesn’t come across how I meant it.” Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner took notice of Machado’s initial comments, labeling them “troubling” and added, “That ain’t going to sell where we play baseball.” No worries. Padres fans will take him. ___ AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum and AP freelance writers Jack Thompson and Weston DeWitt contributed to this report......»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsFeb 20th, 2019Related News

Workers at Sudan terminal strike over ICTSI deal

KHARTOUM -- Workers at Port Sudan’s southern container terminal went on strike on Monday to protest against a deal with Philippine port operator International Container Terminal Services, Inc (ICTSI), port employees and a union official said......»»

Source: Bworldonline BworldonlineCategory: FinanceFeb 19th, 2019Related News

Indonesia makes 2032 Olympics bid official - Inquirer Sports

JAKARTA, Indonesia Indonesia has officially joined bidding to host the 2032 Olympics following its success staging the Asian Games last year, the deputy chairman of its national Olympic committee sai.....»»

Source: Philippinetimes PhilippinetimesCategory: NewsFeb 19th, 2019Related News

Foreign bank keen on opening PH office - The Manila Times Online

A Europe-based bank has indicated interest in setting up shop in the Philippines, a senior Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) official said on Monday. Someone [from the bank] has approachedREAD The pos.....»»

Source: Manilanews ManilanewsCategory: NewsFeb 19th, 2019Related News

Andanar: PCOO Officials Sent to Europe, Part of NTF to End Communist Armed Conflict

Communications Secretary Jose Ruperto Martin M. Andanar stressed that officials of the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) sent to Europe are part of the government’s official delegation to clarify the issue on “involuntary disappearances,” anti-communist terrorist groups, among others. In a statement issued Monday (Feb. 18), he clarified, PCOO, being a committee member of the […].....»»

Source: Metrocebu MetrocebuCategory: NewsFeb 19th, 2019Related News

DOH Assures Enough Measles Vaccine for Central Visayas

The top official of the Department of Health (DOH) in Region 7 (Central Visayas) assured that the agency has enough supply of measles and rubella vaccines to cover the need of the entire region. DOH-7 launched on Monday an intensified “sitio level” information drive as reinforcement to President Rodrigo Duterte’s campaign that came out on […].....»»

Source: Metrocebu MetrocebuCategory: NewsFeb 19th, 2019Related News

Clark Airport hits record P1-B in revenues

THE GROSS revenues of the Clark International Airport Corporation (CIAC) reached an unprecedented PHP1.07 billion in 2018, an official of […].....»»

Source: Mindanaoexaminer MindanaoexaminerCategory: NewsFeb 19th, 2019Related News

It s official: Netflix pulls the plug on The Punisher, Jessica Jones

MANILA, Philippines – That's officially it for Marvel shows on Netflix, with the streaming giant confirming to Variety  on Monday, February 18, that Marvel's The Punisher would not be returning for a third season. Marvel's Jessica Jones' third season, meanwhile, will be its last.  Netflix previously axed Daredevil, Iron ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsFeb 19th, 2019Related News