Advertisements


UST suspends recognition of fraternities, sororities in anti-hazing move

The University of Santo Tomas (UST) has ceased to officially recognize fraternities, sororities, and other similar organizations in its strongest anti-hazing move since the death of law student Horacio “Atio” Castillo III on Sept. 17 of last year, according to a memorandum signed by Office for Student Affairs (OSA) Director Ma. Socorro S. Guan Hing. […] The post UST suspends recognition of fraternities, sororities in anti-hazing move appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Source: Bworldonline BworldonlineCategory: Finance34 min. ago Related News

UST suspends recognition of fraternities, sororities as probe on death of law freshman continues

EIGHT months after the death of University of Santo Tomas (UST) law student Horatio “Atio” Castillo 3rd, the school’s office for student affairs suspended its recognition of all fraternities, sororities and similar organizations on campus effective in August. In a memorandum, a copy of which was posted by student publication The Varsitarian on Twitter and Facebook, Ma.… link: UST suspends recognition of fraternities, sororities as probe on death of law freshman continues.....»»

Source: Manilainformer ManilainformerCategory: 2 hr. 21 min. ago Related News

Death toll in DR Congo Ebola outbreak now at 27

KINSHASA, DR Congo ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: News11 hr. 34 min. ago Related News

Record-breaking $100 million in store for Fortnite players

SAN FRANCISCO, USA – Epic Games on Monday, May 21, stoked the blazing popularity of its Fortnite death-match video game by putting up $100 million in prize money for esports competitions. The announcement of the rich prize money is a milestone for the emerging sector of esports, or video gaming ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsMay 22nd, 2018Related News

Court orders transfer of Aegis Juris fratmen to Manila City Jail

MANILA, Philippines – The Manila Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 20 ordered the transfer to the Manila City Jail of the 10 Aegis Juris fraternity members charged with hazing in the death of law student Horacio "Atio" Castillo III. Branch 20 Judge Marivic Balisi Umali signed the commitment order ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsMay 22nd, 2018Related News

Ebola death toll hits 26 in DR Congo as vaccinations start

MBANDAKA, DR Congo – The death toll in an outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) rose to 26 on Monday, May 21, after a person died in the northwest city of Mbandaka, the government said, as it began vaccinating first responders against the dreaded disease. "A death ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsMay 21st, 2018Related News

Semirara denies collapse of mining pit wall caused death of worker

ILOILO CITY -- The Semirara Mining Power Corp. (SMPC) refuted reports that a slippage or collapse in the walls of its its mining pit caused the death of a worker Sunday evening on Semirara Island in Antique. READ:Landslide claims life of Semirara worker in Antique In a company statement released by Angeline Gardon, SMPC administrative officer, the company said safety aide Lpath Felipe died after he "accidentally slipped and fell onto one of the benches of Molave pit while conducting a routine walk-around inspection in the area." A bench is a narrow strip of land created along the walls of an open-pit mine to help support the walls and for easier access. It said there was no "bar ...Keep on reading: Semirara denies collapse of mining pit wall caused death of worker.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: May 21st, 2018Related News

Muhlachs say final farewell to Cheng

The Muhlachs have been family to me since the 1980s, when my friendship with Liezl (Martinez) began. That's why I share their grief in mourning the death of Aga's dad, Tito Cheng, whom I fondly called Tito Guapo. He was fatherly to me. I will miss our phone chats and bonding moments. Tito Guapo would always update me about the condition of Mama Nena (his sis, movie queen Amalia Fuentes), who's still recuperating from a stroke. How he doted on her. During Mama Nena's birthday last August, Tito Guapo prepared a feast. He asked me to bring Mama Nena's fave, seedless grapes. Now that he's gone, I'm sure he will keep on watching over his beloved sister from up above. At the wake of ...Keep on reading: Muhlachs say final farewell to Cheng.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: May 21st, 2018Related News

As The Bamboos Sway: Philippine Supreme Court supremely cuts Democracy

No matter how he denies it, through his machinations of eight Supreme Court judges, President Rodrigo ‘Digong’ Duterte has raped Lady Justice in the Philippines. He has removed her blinds to see things his way, rendered her balance to tip to his likings, rendered her naked and cause her to thrust her sword unto her heart in shame. Nonetheless, Senator Vicente “Tito” Sotto III, who was dragged in the rape and death of a Pepsi Paloma by this Eat Bulaga co-comedians, has declared that we should respect the decision of the Supreme Court in ousting the Supreme Court Chief Justice Ma. Lourdes Sereno......»»

Source: Nordis NordisCategory: NewsMay 21st, 2018Related News

Ebola Deaths Rise to 26, Says Congo Health Ministry

TEHRAN (Tasnim) - Congo's health ministry says there is one new death from Ebola, bringing to 26 the number of deaths from the deadly outbreak in Equateur province in the country's northwest......»»

Source: Philippinetimes PhilippinetimesCategory: NewsMay 21st, 2018Related News

Muslim beaten to death in India for allegedly killing cow

NEW DELHI, India – A Muslim man accused of killing a cow was beaten to death by a mob in central India, police said Sunday, May 20, the latest vigilante murder over the animal considered sacred by Hindus. Siraj Khan, a 45-year-old tailor, was attacked in the Satna district of Madhya ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsMay 20th, 2018Related News

Ebola deaths rise to 26, says Congo health ministry

KINSHASA, Congo --- Congo's health ministry says there is one new death from Ebola, bringing to 26 the number of deaths from the deadly outbreak in Equateur province in the country's northwest. Four new cases have been confirmed as Ebola, said the health ministry in a statement released early Sunday. A total of 46 cases of hemorrhagic fever have been reported in the current outbreak, including 21 confirmed cases of Ebola, 21 probable and four suspected. Congo President Joseph Kabila and his Cabinet agreed Saturday to increase funds for the Ebola emergency response which now amounts to more than $4 million. The Cabinet endorsed the decision to provide free health care in the aff...Keep on reading: Ebola deaths rise to 26, says Congo health ministry.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: May 20th, 2018Related News

Helio, Danica move on; Hinchcliffe is bumped from Indy 500

By Michael Marot, Associated Press INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — IndyCar's marquee names turned a day of qualifying for the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing" into a throwback, nail-biting, bumping affair. Helio Castroneves, seeking a redemptive record-tying fourth victory, was fastest around Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Danica Patrick was fast, too, and she averaged 227.610 mph to snag the ninth and final spot in the next round of qualifying, the Fast Nine. But this was a full field for the first time in years, and it meant two drivers weren't making next Sunday's show. Never did the renewed bumping expect to be a threat to James Hinchcliffe, one of IndyCar's top drivers, a popular Canadian, and a celebrity from his stint as runner-up on ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" show. Add in this is the final Indy 500 on ABC, ending a partnership that started in 1965 and is second in sports only to CBS and the Masters. The network has been a strong partner for tiny IndyCar, and it helped turn Hinchcliffe and Castroneves into crossover stars. And no one expected trouble for Pippa Mann, a perennial presence in the Indy 500. The British driver spends her entire year working to raise the money to run the Indy 500. Yet after a day of bumping, it was Hinchcliffe and Mann who were surprisingly sidelined. "It was devastating in every way possible," said Hinchcliffe, who is fifth in the IndyCar standings and a full-time series racer for an anchor team. "We came here with big expectations and high hopes. We didn't have Fast Nine speed but we didn't think we'd miss the race. "It's Indy and we finally have bumping again and everyone was thrilled about it. Well, I'm a lot less thrilled about it." Hinchcliffe nearly lost his life at Indy in a 2015 crash in which he was pierced in an artery and would have bled to death if not for IndyCar's standard-setting medical staff. He missed the race that year, but otherwise is a staple of the series. Mann is a one-off. Without her in the field, the Indy 500 will have just one woman, Patrick, at the time her return to American open wheel's crown jewel event is being celebrated. Patrick is retiring after this Indy 500, her first since 2011 because of a brief and unsuccessful move to NASCAR. Back for the second leg of a farewell in "The Danica Double" she's bookended Indy with the Daytona 500 on a two-race goodbye tour. There's a chance IndyCar could intervene. The standard is 33 cars, but the Indy 500 is the only race that matters to the IndyCar elite and it had a 35 car field in 1997. So the hand-wringing could be real as purists wonder if Tony George, head of the family that owns all things-Indy, can force an exception to get Hinchcliffe and Mann in the field. "Should they just start everyone? To me, I'm definitely a traditionalist," said Ed Carpenter, son of George and the owner of Patrick's car. "As tough as it is to watch a guy like Hinch, who has had great moments here, really tough moments, I feel for him, I feel for Pippa. We've all worked very hard to be here. I really feel for them. "At the same time, Indianapolis, that's part of the lure of what makes this race so special and important to all of us. Growing up around this event, seeing years where Team Penske struggled and missed the race, Bobby Rahal missed the race one year, it's happened to great teams." What happens with Hinchcliffe and Mann next is anyone's guess. Hinchcliffe has the sponsorship that could likely buy someone's seat. Mann needs a miracle in the field being expanded. Hinchcliffe understood options were being explored, but wasn't asking for favors. "Nobody screwed us. The system didn't fail us. We failed us," Hinchcliffe said. "We just have to do better. I know this team is capable of better. We are better than this, I know that. Everybody in the garage knows that. We deserve to be in this race. Just not this year." Meanwhile Patrick would have been content qualifying with something in the middle of the pack. Instead, her four-lap average around the track earned her a slot among the nine drivers who will shoot it out Sunday for the pole. Her Chevrolet from Carpenter is fast, and Carpenter was second only to Castroneves. She's now guaranteed a starting spot in the first three rows of her final Indy 500. "I have high expectations for doing well here," said Patrick, the only woman to lead laps in the Indy 500 and Daytona 500. "But to think that I was going to come back and be in the Fast Nine right off the bat, I mean, I'm going to tell you ... I definitely am relieved." It was jubilation for Castroneves, who posted the best four-lap average of 228.919 mph to make a statement in the Penske Racing "Yellow Submarine." Castroneves is a wildly popular Brazilian seeking a record-tying fourth victory. He's been sidelined to sports cars this season by Penske, but he's back home again in a car as bright and familiar at Indy as Castroneves' yellow suit from his winning stint on "Dancing With The Stars." He's a threat to win the pole, and maybe even the race. Over the last 17 years, he has turned Indy's tricky 2.5-mile oval into his personal proving ground. In addition to the three wins, he's won four poles and had three runner-up finishes with Roger Penske's powerhouse team. All 33 spots for the May 27 race will be set Sunday. All three of Castroneves' teammates — 2016 series champion Simon Pagenaud, 2014 series champ Will Power and defending series champ Josef Newgarden — made the final nine. Pagenaud was third at 228.304, Power was fourth at 228.194 and Newgarden was seventh at 228.049. Scott Dixon and Sebastien Bourdais are the only Honda drivers in the shootout. Bourdais, who drives for Dale Coyne Racing, was fifth at 228.090. Dixon, of New Zealand and the star for Chip Ganassi, was eighth at 227.782......»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsMay 20th, 2018Related News

Slain Salvador archbishop, Pope Paul VI to be made saints

VATICAN CITY – Salvador Archbishop Oscar Romero, assassinated by a right-wing death squad as he said mass, and Pope Paul VI will be made saints in October, Pope Francis announced on Saturday, May 19. Described as a simple man close to the poor, Romero stood up for peasant rights in the ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsMay 19th, 2018Related News

Barangay chief who once had a death wish now wants to inspire others

DUMAGUETE CITY --- The newly elected barangay chairman of Bajumpandan, Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental once had a death wish. After losing both his arms and four toes of his right foot in a construction accident, Crispin Patrimonio, then 26 years old, asked that he be allowed to die and that any assistance be given to support his young family. Crispin barely finished his Bachelor of Arts in Industrial Education, Major in Industrial Arts, course at the Central Visayas Polytechnic College when he married his high school classmate Celestina in 1990. They were both 20. But instead of pursuing a teaching job, Crispin started to enjoy making money as a casual employee in a softdri...Keep on reading: Barangay chief who once had a death wish now wants to inspire others.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: May 19th, 2018Related News

Drug suspect in buy-bust operation killed after gun fails him

A DRUG suspect was killed during a buy-bust operation in Cavite that nearly turned into a shootout except that his gun failed him twice, allowing police to fire back, which resulted in his death. Julius Jepson was shot dead by Police Officer (PO) 2 Argean Formilleza in Barangay San Nicolas 3, in Bacoor City, the [...] The post Drug suspect in buy-bust operation killed after gun fails him appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Source: Manilatimes_net Manilatimes_netCategory: NewsMay 19th, 2018Related News

Old grudges eyed in Dumarao shooting

ROXAS CITY, Capiz – Police believe that old grudges might be the motive behind the shooting to death of a barangay kagawad-elect and a civilian at Sitio Magalan in Brgy. Sagrada Familia, Dumarao, Capiz afternoon of May 17, 2018. Police Inspector Tobias Garfin, officer-in-charge of Dumarao PNP, said the incident was not election-related but due […] The post Old grudges eyed in Dumarao shooting appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Source: Thedailyguardian ThedailyguardianCategory: NewsMay 18th, 2018Related News

Made in PH e-cigarette kills Florida man

MIAMI -- An exploding e-cigarette killed a Florida man found dead in his burning apartment, an autopsy has found. In what is believed to be the first death from a vaping pen explosion in the United States, 38-year-old Tallmadge D’Elia died when two pieces of the e-cigarette lodged themselves in….....»»

Source: Journal JournalCategory: NewsMay 18th, 2018Related News

Suspect in slay of college dean killed, 2 arrested

ONE of the three primary suspects in the death of the dean of the University of Perpetual Help College of Medicine was killed after he grabbed the gun of a police officer who accosted him yesterday morning in Las Piñas City. Southern Police District (SPD) Action Officer Supt. Jenny Tecson….....»»

Source: Journal JournalCategory: NewsMay 18th, 2018Related News

Cebu shop denies US report on exploding vape pen

        LAPU-LAPU CITY, Cebu---A vape shop here has denied that the vape pen, which exploded and killed a man from Florida, came from them.   The sales clerk of Smok-E Mountain Mactan Vape Cafe at Marina Mall in Lapu-Lapu City said they don't sell the tube-type vape since they opened two years ago.   The clerk, who wanted to be identified only as Billy, said the shop only sold "box mods" e-cigarettes and vape juice.   Billy said he heard from news reports about the death of an American who allegedly bought the tube-type vape from Smok-E Mountain Mactan Vape Cafe.   "Sayop man to ilang news kay dili man to gik...Keep on reading: Cebu shop denies US report on exploding vape pen.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: May 18th, 2018Related News