Advertisements


Huge field competes in PPS- Sultan Kudarat leg

Close to 200 entries from various provinces in the Soccsksargen region and nearby cities gear up for a fierce showdown for top honors and ranking points in the PPS-PEPP Sultan Kudarat regional age-group tennis tournament which got going yesterday at the Isulan Capitol Tennis Courts......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: SportsJun 16th, 2018Related News

Ordnance teams foil roadside bombings in central Mindanao

Authorities foiled on Friday attempts by communist rebels and Islamic State-inspired militants to set off roadside bombs in Sultan Kudarat and North Cotabato provinces......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsJun 16th, 2018Related News

Boxing: Albert Pagara back to form, sets sights on world champion Dogboe

Fighting in his hometown of Maasin, Southern Leyte, ALA Boxing standout ‘Prince’ Albert Pagara took one forward on his redemption tour as he demolished Laryea Gabriel Odoi to the point that the Ghanaian’s cornermen were forced to throw in the towel in the third round of their main event bout at Pinoy Pride 44: Laban sa Leyte, Saturday evening. With the win, Pagara reclaimed the WBO Intercontinental Super Bantamweight Championship, the very same title that he lost to Cesar Juarez back in 2016. The loss to Juarez remains as the only notch in Pagara’s loss column. Since then, the 24-year old Pagara has racked up four straight victories, three straight have come by KO or TKO, including Saturday’s win over Odoi. After destroying Odoi, Pagara an emotional Pagara fought back tears as he basked in the cheers of his kababayans. For Pagara, reclaiming the belt that he lost nothing short of euphoric. “Sobrang happy ako na nabalik ko yung belt ko, naging champion ulit ako ngayon.” Pagara told ABS-CBN Sports. Looking more like the ‘Prince’ Albert of old that won his first 26 bouts, Pagara says that now more relaxed and has found the optimal walking weight so that once fight time comes, he’s lighter and more agile. “Yung katawan ko, parang magaan, hindi tulad nung dating mga laban ko na parang hindi ako makasuntok at gigil ako. Ngayon, yung timbang ko, paglalaban ako, 132 pounds, ten pounds lang yung over ko para magaan yung katawan ko, para confident ako pag 132-pounds, kasi lalaban ako dati, 138 o 139, mabigat yung katawan ko, ngayon, grabe, parang ang-liksi.” After having already reclaimed the WBO Intercontinental title, would a rematch against Juarez be the next step towards complete redemption for Pagara? Not necessarily. For Pagara, another go-around with Juarez isn’t too appealing anymore. “Ayaw ko na hamunin si Juarez kasi na-knockout na siya ni [Isaac] Dogboe, gusto ko sa level na yung kakalabanin ko. Parang wala na siya. Gusto ko pa-taas na.” “Kung gusto ng ALA Promotion na rematch kay Juarez, sige okay lang sa akin kung mag-rematch kami.” Pagara added. Speaking of Isaac Dogboe, Pagara has his sights set on the current reigning WBO Super Bantamweight World Champion. The unbeaten Ghanaian knocked out Juarez to become the interim champ, and then knocked out Jessie Magdaleno just three months later to snatch the world title. Quite the target for Pagara, but he says the prospect of a bout against Dogboe is keeping him motivated. “Si Dogboe, gusto ko kalabanin, kaya focused ako ngayon sa training, focused talaga sa training, ngayon na nakamit ko na yung belt.” With teammates like Donnie Nietes, Milan Melindo, Jonas Sultan, and Arthur Villanueva all having held or challenged for world titles, Pagara says that he’s working even harder so that one day, he too can reach the level that they have. “Gusto ko maabot yung pangarap ko na maging world champion kagaya nila, kaya pursige lang talaga, disiplina sa sarili.” “Masasabi ko na nakabalik na si Albert, kasi yung style ko dati, binabalik ko na yung mga galaw ko, yung pag-laban ko dati.” Pagara added......»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsJun 10th, 2018Related News

Murad says BBL versions passed are “very diluted” but hopes to regain what they lost during bicam meet

CAMP DARAPANAN, Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao (08 June) — The chair of the Moro Islamic LIberation Front (MILF) has acknowledged that the versions of the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) passed by the Senate and House of Representatives last week are “very diluted” and may create a Bangsamoro political entity that will be less autonomous than the […].....»»

Source: Mindanews MindanewsCategory: NewsJun 9th, 2018Related News

Ex-NPA rebels help clean up schools in Sultan Kudarat

Reforming former New People’s Army guerillas helped soldiers clean school campuses this week in Bagumbayan town to show they are back in mainstream society......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsJun 8th, 2018Related News

Army lauds central Mindanao residents for vigilance vs IEDs

Gen. Cirilito Sobejana of the Army’s 6th Infantry Division said it was fortunate that residents were able to alert authorities against improvised explosive devices along highways in Tacurong City, Sultan Kudarat and in Maguindanao and North Cotabato......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsJun 7th, 2018Related News

Two more Jerwin Ancajas fights this year

IBF superflyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas may stake his crown twice more this year with both optional defenses expected to take place in US cities where there is a high concentration of Filipino residents......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: SportsJun 6th, 2018Related News

Not just any BBL

Many years ago as a reporter I covered a presidential visit to that no-man’s land straddling the borders of Maguindanao, Sultan Kudarat and South Cotabato......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsMay 31st, 2018Related News

Can t Ancajas become a national treasure?

Ancajas, who arrived at the fight venue with sirens blazing, however failed to deliver as billed. His face was puffed in the end. It was not exactly pretty, reported veteran boxing chronicler Ryan.....»»

Source: Philippinetimes PhilippinetimesCategory: NewsMay 30th, 2018Related News

Guns, explosives found from shop of BIFF in Sultan Kudarat

Authorities recovered firearms and explosives in a gunsmith shop of Islamic State-Inspired militants in President Qurino town on Tuesday......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsMay 30th, 2018Related News

Boxing: World Champ Ancajas arrives in Manila after successful title defense

Reigning IBF Super Flyweight world champion Jerwin Ancajas made his way back home in the Philippines after a successful title defense in Fresno, California over the weekend.  IBF superflyweight champ Jerwin Ancajas arrives in Manila pic.twitter.com/W7iNeCk5X2 — DYAN CASTILLEJO (@DYANCASTILLEJO) May 29, 2018 Ancajas is happy that both him and Sultan are safe after an intense 12 round bout. Jerwin will be resting for a couple of weeks before going back to his usual training sched. pic.twitter.com/vuWRXrtY3C — DYAN CASTILLEJO (@DYANCASTILLEJO) May 29, 2018 Ancajas, 26, arrived in Manila Tuesday evening, two days after defeating fellow Filipino Jonas Sultan via unanimous decision for his fifth consecutive successful title defense since winning the IBF's 115-pound title back in 2016.  The champ will get some time to rest before he returns to training.  For now, there's no official word yet on what's next for Ancajas, but Top Rank Promotions CEO Bob Arum has talked about having Ancajas unify titles with WBA Super Flyweight champion Khalid Yafai.  Matchmaker Sean Gibbons on the other hand, talked about getting Ancajas ready for the likes of 115-pound stars Srisaket Sor Rungvisai and Juan Francisco Estrada......»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsMay 29th, 2018Related News

Jerwin Ancajas denies holding back

IBF superflyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas said yesterday he didn’t pull his punches against countryman Jonas Sultan and settled for a win on points in retaining his crown at the Save Mart Center in Fresno over the weekend because going for a knockout was a risky proposition......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: SportsMay 29th, 2018Related News

Military tightens security in Tacurong City after foiled bomb attack

KIDAPAWAN CITY – Government soldiers have tightened security in Tacurong City in Sultan Kudarat province after they foiled an attempted […].....»»

Source: Mindanaoexaminer MindanaoexaminerCategory: NewsMay 29th, 2018Related News

Boxing: Home-bound Jonas Sultan in high spirits after loss to Jerwin Ancajas

History was made last weekend, as for the first time in nearly a century, two Filipino boxers squared off for a world title when reigning IBF Super Flyweight world champion Jerwin Ancajas succesfully defended his title against challenger Jonas Sultan in Fresno, California.  It was the fifth straight successful title defense for Panabo, Davao del Norte's Ancajas, while it was Zamboanga del Norte-native Sultan's first crack at a world championship.  And while it was a clear-cut win for Ancajas, Sultan isn't holding his head down.  The ALA Boxing standout managed to take the defending champion to 12 rounds, losing only via unanimous decision, something that hasn't been done in Ancajas' last four fights prior to facing Sultan.  Sultan is in fact, the first challenger to go the distance with Ancajas.  "It’s ok, I need more practice. More combinations. More distance fighting." said Sultan, who had a reach disadvantage against Ancajas.  The length played a major factor as Ancajas was able to pick Sultan apart with jabs while staying out of the challenger's range.  "I don’t make combinations because he’s a distance fighter. When I go inside, he’s moving outside." Sultan added. "Hindi ko talaga ma-combination kasi malayo na siya. Marunong mag-distansya." At the end of the day however, Sultan is just proud to have been part of history.  "I’m so proud fighting here, it’s my first time. It’s a world title. It’s historical. I do my best."  After months of being away from his family to prepare for this momentous world title opportunity, Sultan finally gets to go back home as he flew back to Cebu, Tuesday morning.  (READ ALSO: Focused on world title, challenger Jonas Sultan sacrifices time with family) So excited was Sultan that he arrived at the departure gates four hours before his scheduled flight.  The 26-year old says he'll take some time off and relax for a bit before getting back to work.    H/T: Steve Angeles, ABS-CBN News.....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsMay 29th, 2018Related News

Boxing: Big things ahead for Jerwin Ancajas after fifth title defense

Over the weekend, Filipino boxing star and reigning IBF Super Flyweight world champion Jerwin Ancajas added to his already impressive resume after defeating challenger Jonas Sultan in a historic all-Filipino world title bout in Fresno, California.  It was Ancajas' fifth successful title defense since capturing the IBF crown back in late 2016.  To add to the sweet taste of victory, Ancajas was able to hold on to his title in front of a large number of Filipino supporters in California.  Prior to their bout, Ancajas and Sultan were honored by the Filipino community in Los Angeles, which ultimately brought Ancajas to tears.  (READ ALSO: IBF World Champ Ancajas moved to tears after meeting Fil-Am community in LA) "Maganda po, dami na Pilipino na sumusuporta, lalo na sa laban namin sa Fresno. Good yung feeling ko," said Ancajas, who scored a unanimous decision victory over Sultan after 12 rounds. "Maraming kapwa-Pilipino ang sumosuporta, lalo na sa boxing." While it was a dominant victory for Ancajas, who controlled the pace of the fight for majority of the 12 rounds, challenger Sultan also deserves props for being the first challenger to take Ancajas to a decision in the last five bouts.  All of Ancajas' other challengers have all fallen via stoppage.  For Ancajas, it was no surprise that Sultan came out and fought until the very last minute.  "Inisip ko talaga mag-abot ng round." Ancajas said, meaning that he expected the fight to go all 12 rounds. "Kung May knockout na bonus na lang po." Ancajas used his reach and his jab to dismantle Sultan throughout the fight, and while he did get hit with some good shots, was never really in any danger.  "Lalo na kay Sultan, talagang sinasabi ko dati, basta Pinoy, lumalaban talaga, so naisip ko na aabot ng round." Ancajas added.  Whether it came via decision or stoppage, a win is a win, and it's Ancajas' 30th victory, to go with one loss and one draw.  Now, as his star continues to rise, there are some pretty big plans for Ancajas, moving forward.  According to matchmaker Sean Gibbons, the 26-year old Panabo, Davao del Norte native is expected to return to action in October, and he's being prepared to take on the big names at 115-pounds.  "We’re going to pick styles that work well with Jerwin to help him prepare for Juan Estrada, Rungvisai the WBC champion, those are the fights we want." said Gibbons.  With Srisaket Sor Rungvisai and Juan Francisco Estrada working towards a rematch down the road, to job is to get Ancajas ready for those big names.  "We're going to go back to picking fighters, top ten guys that can prepare us to get to that fight," added Gibbons.  One more possible name that could be in Ancajas' future is super flyweight newcomer and Sultan stablemate Donnie Nietes, the longest-reigning Filipino world champion.  After dominating at the junior flyweight and flyweight divisions for the last few years, Nietes finally made the much-awaited jump up to 115-pounds, and will be making his super flyweigh debut in August, when he takes on fellow Bacolod native Aston Palicte for the vacant WBO Super Flyweight World Championship in Cebu.  A Nietes-Ancajas showdown is definitely not outside the realm of possibility, but Nietes will first need to take care of business against Palicte before any discussions for a title-unification bout.    H/T: Steve Angeles, ABS-CBN News.....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsMay 29th, 2018Related News

Ancajas decisions Sultan, keeps IBF super fly crown

By Michael Angelo S. Murillo Senior Reporter IT was a fifth successful defense for Jerwin “Pretty Boy” Ancajas as he defeated Jonas “Zorro” Sultan in their all-Filipino clash for the International Boxing Federation super flyweight title, winning by a convincing unanimous decision. The first Filipino versus Filipino battle for a world title after 93 years,… link: Ancajas decisions Sultan, keeps IBF super fly crown.....»»

Source: Manilainformer ManilainformerCategory: May 28th, 2018Related News

Ancajas conducts ‘clinic’ to retain title

IBF superflyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas controlled the pace, space and distance in the ring to score a unanimous 12-round decision over gutsy challenger Jonas Sultan in a tactical battle at the Save Mart Center here Saturday night (yesterday morning, Manila)......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsMay 28th, 2018Related News

Sultan lost in a chess match

Defeated challenger Jonas Sultan’s trainer Edito Villamor called it a chess match and defending IBF superflyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas wound up with the key pieces to retain his crown via a unanimous 12-round decision at the Save Mart Center here Saturday night (yesterday morning, Manila)......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsMay 28th, 2018Related News

Ancajas outclasses Sultan in historic fight, keeps IBF super fly title

Jerwin Ancajas beat Jonas Sultan in a historic all-Filipino world title fight to keep the IBF super flyweight crown in the main event Sunday (Manila time) at Save Smart Center in Fresno, California.....»»

Source: Philippinetimes PhilippinetimesCategory: NewsMay 27th, 2018Related News

Ancajas downs Sultan in all-Pinoy world bout

LOS ANGELES: International Boxing Federation super flyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas beat Jonas Sultan by unanimous decision on Saturday (Sunday in Manila) in the first all-Filipino world title fight in 93 years. Judges in Fresno, California, awarded the verdict to Ancajas by scores of 119-109, 119-109 and 117-111 as the southpaw improved to 30-1-1 while Sultan [...] The post Ancajas downs Sultan in all-Pinoy world bout appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Source: Manilatimes_net Manilatimes_netCategory: NewsMay 27th, 2018Related News