Advertisements


Pence heads to Mideast amid Israel embassy storm

WASHINGTON, USA – United States Vice President Mike Pence set off for the Middle East on Friday, January 19, for a trip overshadowed by controversy over plans to move the American embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. Pence had been due to travel in December last year, but Arab anger over President ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: News2 hr. 27 min. ago Related News

Tourism booming in Cuba despite tougher new Trump policy

HAVANA — On a sweltering early summer afternoon in Miami's Little Havana, President Donald Trump told a cheering Cuban-American crowd that he was rolling bac.....»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: News4 hr. 40 min. ago Related News

Renewed drive vs. hepatitis B, liver cancer underway in SF Bay Area

SAN MATEO, California -- An intensified drive against hepatitis B and liver cancer is trying to raise public awareness of the single largest health disparity within the Asian American and Pacific Islander community.   Known as San Francisco Hep B Free -- Bay Area is underway in San Mateo County and will soon cover the whole San Francisco Bay Area. The program encourages screening and vaccination to make the San Francisco Bay Area free of hepatitis B.   Program Coordinator Richard So shared said the program is geared towards the1.7 million Asian and Pacific Islander residents of the Bay Area, or some 24 percent of the population, with disproportionate cases of li...Keep on reading: Renewed drive vs. hepatitis B, liver cancer underway in SF Bay Area.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: 9 hr. 27 min. ago Related News

Pope to meet indigenous people in Peruvian Amazon

PUERTO MALDONADO, Peru – Pope Francis was to make his first visit Friday, January 19, to the Amazon on the final leg of a South American trip, with a festive atmosphere awaiting him in the Peruvian city of Puerto Maldonado as thousands of indigenous people gathered. "For the first time in ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: News14 hr. 40 min. ago Related News

Washington Post blasts Duterte s for attack on press freedom

MANILA, Philippines — Another American newspaper eviscerated into President Rodrigo Duterte following his description of news website Rappler as a "fake news.....»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: News17 hr. 1 min. ago Related News

Pope Francis arrives in Peru after tumultuous Chile visit

LIMA, Peru – Pope Francis arrived Thursday, January 18, in Peru on the final leg of his South American trip, where he will meet indigenous people and hear firsthand how the country's gold rush is destroying large areas of their Amazon homeland. Earlier, the Pontiff highlighted the plight of vulnerable immigrants ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsJan 19th, 2018Related News

Donnie Nietes set to defend IBF title against former champ Juan Carlos Reveco

ALA Boxing star Donnie 'Ahas' Nietes already has a date for his first IBF flyweight world title defense.  The reigning and defending Filipino champion is set to take on former light flyweight and flyweight world champion Juan Carlos Reveco of Argentina on February 24th at The Forum in Los Angeles, California.  The Nietes-Reveco IBF title showdown has been added to HBO Boxing After Dark's SUPERFLY 2 card, making it a world title-tripleheader event to close out February.  Murcia, Negros Occidental's Nietes (40-1-4, 22 KO) holds the distinction of being the longest-reigng Filipino boxing world champion, and has held world titles in the minimumweight, light flyweight, and most recently the flyweight division.  The 35-year old is on an impressive 30-fight unbeaten streak dating back to 2004, and is coming off a unanimous decision win over Thailand's Eaktwan BTU Ruaviking to claim the IBF 112-pound crown.  The challenger from Las Heras, Argentina, Reveco, is equally as experienced as Nietes, with a 39-3 professional record, 19 of those wins coming via KO.  The 34-year old has had runs with the WBA light flyweight world championship and the WBA flyweight world championship, and is also coming off a win against Ruaviking.  "Fighting in Los Angeles for the third time in front of the great Filipino fans along with fighting on HBO is a great honor for me," Nietes said, via BoxingScene.com. “I know how tough Reveco is but I’ll be well prepared to defend my title." The SUPERFLY 2 card also features a WBC super flyweight title bout between reigning champion Srisaket Sor Rungvisai of Thailand and challenger Juan Francisco Estrada of Mexico, as well as a showdown between Fil-American Brian Viloria and Ukrainian Artem Dalakian for the vacant WBA world flyweight title.    H/T: BoxingScene.com.....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsJan 19th, 2018Related News

Fil-Am Brian Viloria to fight for vacant WBA world title

Filipino-American boxer Brian 'The Hawaiian Punch' Viloria gets another crack at a world championship when he meets unbeaten Artem Dalakian of Ukraine for the Vacant WBA flyweight world championship.  The Viloria-Dalakian showdown will be one of three world title bouts on the upcoming HBO Boxing After Dark SUPERFLY 2 card at The Forum in Los Angeles, California on February 24th.  The 37-year old Viloria (38-5, 23 KO) is riding a two-fight winning streak, with his last loss coming in a WBC world title challenge against former pound-for-pound king Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzales.  The native of Waipahu, Hawaii is no stranger to world title gold, having previously held the WBC and IBF light flyweight world championships.  Standing opposite Viloria on fight night will be a hungry contender in the 30-year old Dalakian, who comes in with an unbeaten 15-0 professional record.  Dalakian is coming off a sixth-round KO win over Luis Manuel Macias and will be fighting for a world title for the first time in his career.  Fighting on the same card will be reigning IBF flyweight champion Donnie "Ahas" Nietes, who has trained with Viloria before. Nietes will be defending his title for the first time against former champion Juan Carlos Reveco of Argentina.  Also on the card will be a WBC super flyweight world title defense for champion Srisaket Sor Rungvisai of Thailand, who meets challenger Juan Francisco Estrada of Mexico. .....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsJan 19th, 2018Related News

Jon Jon Briones, Ricky Martin and Edgar Ramirez on ‘Versace’ roles

(First of two parts) LOS ANGELES---"'Versace' miniseries is the first great show of 2018," New York Post critic Robert Rorke raved about FX Networks' "The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story." Rorke added, "The performances of the leads are outstanding, but special mention must be made of (Darren) Criss, who beautifully captures (Andrew) Cunanan's ability to tell the biggest lies anyone has ever heard and literally charm the pants off anyone he sets his sights on." Rorke went so far as to say that Jon Jon Briones, who plays the Fil-Am Cunanan's father, could be a "future Emmy winner." Here's from Rorke's review: "And we get a ringside seat at the twisted Cunanan h...Keep on reading: Jon Jon Briones, Ricky Martin and Edgar Ramirez on ‘Versace’ roles.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: Jan 18th, 2018Related News

McDonald’s Red Envelopes fete $1 $2 $3 Dollar Menu and Year of the Dog

OAK BROOK, Illinois -- McDonald's has introduced its new $1 $2 $3 Dollar Menu, which offers customers several delicious and craveable McDonald's items at a compelling value. In celebration, the company has teamed up with internationally renowned Chinese American fashion designer Anna Sui to ring in the 2018 Lunar New Year by creating a series of limited edition lucky red envelopes. The envelopes feature original designs by Sui and will be available in San Francisco on Tuesday, January 23, 2018. For fans unable to be in San Francisco on Jan. 23, partner social influencers will be running national sweepstakes on their respective channels to make sure fans have a chance to get their ...Keep on reading: McDonald’s Red Envelopes fete $1 $2 $3 Dollar Menu and Year of the Dog.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: Jan 18th, 2018Related News

Pope marries couple on papal plane

ON BOARD THE PAPAL PLANE – Pope Francis married a couple of airline employees aboard the papal plane as it flew over Chile on the third day of his South American trip. Francis formally joined in matrimony 41-year-old Carlos Ciuffardi and Paula Podest, 39, who have two children and are both ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsJan 18th, 2018Related News

Garcia shoots 66 to share clubhouse lead at Singapore Open

SINGAPORE (AP) — Sergio Garcia opened his season with a 5-under 66 and a share of the clubhouse lead on Thursday in the first round of the weather-interrupted Singapore Open. Playing his first tournament of the year, the Masters champion rebounded after making an early bogey to collect four birdies and an eagle at the Sentosa Golf Club. He was later joined by American qualifier Kurt Kitayama in the clubhouse lead. Still on the course, Tirawat Kaewsiribandit was at 6 under through 16 holes when play was suspended for the day because of the threat of lightning. Louis Oosthuizen, the 2010 British Open champion, was at 5 under through 16 holes when he also had to stop his round because of the weather. Of the players who did finish their opening rounds, only three were within two strokes of Garcia and Kitayama. One of them was Casey O'Toole, who aced the par-3 second with a 7-iron. The 38-year-old Garcia dropped his only shot of the day on the par-4 15th, his sixth hole after teeing off on the back nine, when he missed the fairway and was unable to make par. But he made amends when he birdied the par-3 17th and then eagled the par-5 18th to go out in 33. "I was 1 over after (the) seventh but it didn't feel like I was playing badly," said Garcia, who made birdies on each of the two par-5s and one of the par-3s on the second nine. "But then I hit two greats in a row for holes 17 and 18. I got a birdie-eagle there, so that settled me a little bit and I could play solid in the back nine and it was a great round." Garcia made the shortlist for the Laureus Sports Awards in the Breakthrough of the Year category after claiming his first major at Augusta National last year and is hoping for more success this season. He credits the Singapore Open as having played a part in toughening him up for his Masters win because he opted to start his 2017 campaign in the stifling humidity of Southeast Asia to prepare himself for the bigger tournaments ahead. Although he finished tied for 11th in Singapore, Garcia won the Dubai Desert Classic the next week and was in peak form when he won the Masters two months later. Kitayama only secured his place in the $1 million event on Monday by finishing at the top of the qualifying competition, but he made a strong start with birdies on three of his first five holes. The 25-year-old Thai was 6 under through 13 holes but spoiled his otherwise flawless round with a bogey on his last. "I started with a birdie and I just let it roll from there. I had some good tee shots, which I think, is the biggest thing for this course," Kitayama said. "I'm a little tired, but I'm hanging in there. Whenever I have time off, I'll try not to think too much about golf.".....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsJan 18th, 2018Related News

Ferrero to Acquire Nestle’s U.S. Confectionary Business

The Ferrero Group and its affiliated companies (“Ferrero”), a global confectionary group, announced a definitive agreement pursuant to which it will acquire the U.S. confectionary business from Nestle for $2.8 billion in cash. Nestle’s U.S. confectionary business generated sales of approximately $900 million in 2016. Ferrero will acquire more than 20 American brands with a […].....»»

Source: Metrocebu MetrocebuCategory: NewsJan 18th, 2018Related News

A year of Trump fails to improve US-Russia ties

MOSCOW -- Donald Trump said during his election campaign he wanted to improve relations between the US and Vladimir Putin’s Russia. But a year on from his inauguration, ties between Washington and Moscow are at Cold War lows. As American investigators continue to probe Russian involvement in Trump’s shock 2016….....»»

Source: Journal JournalCategory: NewsJan 18th, 2018Related News

Comedian Will Ferrell brings laughs to Australian Open

MELBOURNE, Australia — American actor and comedian Will Ferrell isn't just at the Australian Open this week for the tennis......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: SportsJan 18th, 2018Related News

Hornets rout Wizards 133-109 behind record-setting 1st half

By Steve Reed, Associated Press CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Michael Kidd-Gilchrist scored 21 points, Dwight Howard had another double-double and the Charlotte Hornets used a record-setting first half to beat the Washington Wizards 133-109 on Wednesday night (Thursday, PHL time) in coach Steve Clifford's return. The Hornets made 12 of their first 13 shots and scored a franchise-record 77 points in the first half to build a 16-point lead. They extended that to 28 in the second half in a game that was never close. Kemba Walker had 19 points, Howard had 18 points and 15 rebounds and Jeremy Lamb had 16 points for the Hornets, who won for the fifth time in their last seven games. Clifford returned after missing 21 games because of headaches caused by sleep deprivation. The Hornets were 9-21 in Clifford's absence and had fallen eight games under .500. Bradley Beal had 26 points for the Wizards, whose five-game road trip got off to a rocky start. The Hornets shot 65 percent from the field in the first half, including a pair of four-point plays from Walker and Marvin Williams. Charlotte's Michael Carter-Williams and Washington's Tim Frazier were ejected and given double technical fouls after an altercation with four minutes remaining in the game. It started when Jason Smith fouled Carter-Williams, who went to retaliate before Frazier stepped in the middle. With the Wizards down by 20, coach Scott Brooks elected to have Howard, a 52 percent free-throw shooter, come off the bench to shoot Carter-Williams' free throws. Howard, clearly irritated over the move since he'd been sitting out the entire fourth quarter because of the big lead, promptly sank both free throws. He looked over at the Wizards bench and raised his palms incredulously as if to say, "Why?" Clifford quickly removed Howard from the game. The teams played in front a sparse crowd because of the wintry weather that has gripped Charlotte, which led to most schools being closed. Across town, the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League played a game closed off to fans because of the wintry mix. TIP-INS Wizards: Have allowed at least 100 points in 16 straight games. ... Were outscored 50-30 in the paint. Hornets: The 10 straight field goals made to start the game are the most to start a game since 2002-03. ... Howard recorded his 691st double-double and 25th this season. ... With a 23-point lead in the fourth quarter, Hornets fans started chanting "We want [Malik] Monk." Clifford put the rookie in with four minutes to play and he hit a three-pointer. UP NEXT Wizards: Visit Detroit on Friday (Saturday, PHL time). Hornets: Host Miami on Saturday (Sunday, PHL time)......»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsJan 18th, 2018Related News

New York Times, Wall Street Journal blast Duterte s media assault

MANILA, Philippines — Two of the biggest American newspapers on Wednesday criticized the decision of a government regulatory agency to cancel the operating l.....»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsJan 18th, 2018Related News

‘Tough Trump’ worries US immigrants’ families

SAN ISIDRO, El Salvador — Uncertainty and fear are rising in Central American countries over how many families will manage to get by when remittances from the US are cut off under plans by the Trump administration to make tens of thousands of Salvadorans and Nicaraguans leave. “I hope the… Source link link: ‘Tough Trump’ worries US immigrants’ families.....»»

Source: Manilainformer ManilainformerCategory: Jan 17th, 2018Related News

‘Tough Trump’ worries US immigrants’ families

SAN ISIDRO, El Salvador -- Uncertainty and fear are rising in Central American countries over how many families will manage to get by when remittances from the US are cut off under plans by the Trump administration to make tens of thousands of Salvadorans and Nicaraguans leave. “I hope the….....»»

Source: Journal JournalCategory: NewsJan 17th, 2018Related News

Calif.’s Fil-Am chief justice vows to resist ICE arrest in courthouses

SAN JOSE, California -- The Filipina American chief justice of the California Supreme Court vowed to remain steadfast in opposing the enforcement of federal immigration laws in courthouses, so that people would be encouraged to go to court without fear of being apprehended. Chief Justice Tani G. Cantil-Sakauye repeated her pledge in a stage conversation with retired Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Len Edwards, after she addressed educators, professionals, students and guests at the annual Don Edwards lecture series at the San Jose State University (SJSU).   The chief justice, a Republican, recalled that in March 2017, she decided to write a letter to Attorney-Ge...Keep on reading: Calif.’s Fil-Am chief justice vows to resist ICE arrest in courthouses.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: Jan 17th, 2018Related News