Advertisements


What will happen to the cases filed against Arcilla and Andales?

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The cases on the cancellation of the certificate of candidacies against reelected Bando Osmeña-Pundok Kauswagan (BO-PK) councilors Alvin Arcilla and Sisinio Andales pending at the Commission on Elections (Comelec) en banc may change the line up of Cebu City’s North District councilors. Lawyer Chauncey Boholst, the North District election officer of […] The post What will happen to the cases filed against Arcilla and Andales? appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerMay 15th, 2019

Cebu City Legal Office to Osmeña: ‘No, you can’t restore the Mayor’s Office’

CEBU CITY, Philippines―The City Legal Office said that they will not allow former mayor Tomas Osmeña to continue with the “restoration” of the Mayor’s Office. Lawyer Rey Gealon, the city legal officer, said that Osmeña’s request is an “after thought” after the cases of theft and graft and corruption were filed against him before at […] The post Cebu City Legal Office to Osmeña: ‘No, you can’t restore the Mayor’s Office’ appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated News12 hr. 12 min. ago

After Arcilla, Comelec disqualifies Andales’ candidacy in May 2019 elections

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) en banc has affirmed the decision of the Comelec Second Division to cancel the Certificate of Candidacy of reelected Cebu City Councilor Sisinio Andales. In a decision promulgated on Thursday, June 27, 2019, the en banc denied the motion for reconsideration of Andales, and affirmed that […] The post After Arcilla, Comelec disqualifies Andales’ candidacy in May 2019 elections appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 29th, 2019

Former FIFA head Blatter: Sarkozy meeting key to Qatar vote

By Graham Dunbar, Associated Press GENEVA (AP) — Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter says the arrest of soccer great Michel Platini as part of a French corruption probe lends weight to his version of how the United States lost the 2022 World Cup vote to Qatar. Blatter told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he has insisted for years that the result of the 2010 vote was swayed by a meeting in Paris two weeks earlier involving then-French President Nicolas Sarkozy, Platini and Qatar's future Emir. Blatter spoke hours after Platini, the former France midfielder who was the UEFA president at the time of the vote, was detained in Paris on Tuesday by French authorities who also questioned two former Sarkozy aides. "It's all detailed — what I always said," Blatter told the AP in a telephone interview from Zurich, citing the twobooks he has published since being banned by FIFA. Qatar beat the long-favored U.S. 14-8 in a final round of voting by a since-discredited FIFA executive committee. Most of the voters have since been banned by FIFA — including Blatter and Platini — indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice, or implicated elsewhere in financial wrongdoing. Two weeks ahead of the vote in Zurich, Platini had been hosted by Sarkozy at the French presidential residence, and met senior Qatari officials including then-crown prince Sheikh Tamim. According to Blatter, that Élysée Palace lunch changed the course of FIFA's plan to award the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 edition to the U.S. on the same day. "Platini phoned me and said, 'Listen, president, our gentlemen's agreement which we have made inside the FIFA executive committee will have difficulties to work,'" Blatter said Tuesday. In Blatter's version, Platini — who in 2015 acknowledged switching sides — and three other voters from European soccer body UEFA changed their planned American support. "It was four votes which have disappeared," he said. "If you change the four votes then the winner will be the USA." Platini has long insisted that the meeting did not influence his vote for Qatar less than two weeks later. "Sarkozy never asked me to vote for Qatar, but I knew what would be good," he told the AP in 2015. But, in the same interview, he also said that he "might have told" American officials earlier that he was going to vote for the United States' bid. On Tuesday, Platini's representatives denied any wrongdoing on his part, saying he is "absolutely confident in the future" and has "strictly nothing to reproach himself for." The 83-year-old Blatter, who is serving a six-year ban by the FIFA ethics committee, was interviewed as a potential witness by French investigators in Zurich in April 2017. On a day of intrigue for Blatter, the attorney general for Switzerland was recused from overseeing a sweeping criminal investigation of FIFA officials. The Swiss, French and American cases have shared information and evidence over the past five years, since the Blatter-led FIFA filed a complaint in 2014 about suspected money laundering in the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding contests. Now, Switzerland's federal criminal court removed attorney general Michael Lauber from his department's case because of undeclared meetings with current FIFA president Gianni Infantino. The federal court says it upheld requests by two claimants it did not identify. "Now I get part of my trust and confidence in the Swiss justice back," said Blatter, who has been a criminal suspect since September 2015 but never charged. He denies wrongdoing in a case which ended his 18-year FIFA presidency, and asked Tuesday: "Why the hell is not all over yet?" Criminal proceedings against Blatter are among at least 25 opened by Lauber's federal prosecution team in the wider soccer probe. Lauber's job has been at risk since two 2016 meetings with Infantino were revealed last November in the Football Leaks series publishing confidential emails and documents from the soccer industry. A disciplinary case was opened against Lauber last month when an undeclared third meeting with Infantino in Bern in June 2017 was revealed. "This is an old story," Blatter said of the investigations against him, adding he is recovering from knee replacement surgery four weeks ago. "I do hope that the Lord will give me enough time to live and to have a look at the end of this story.".....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 19th, 2019

Parents charged for kids death in motorcycle crash

  BAGUIO CITY, Philippines – The police in Batac City, Ilocos Norte, took a different tack by charging the parents of one of the two minors who died after the motorcycle they were riding collided with a dump truck two weeks ago. The city prosecutor filed the cases against the parents of ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 6th, 2019

Cases filed vs dialysis center for ‘ghost’ kidney treatments, says PhilHealth

The Philippine Health Insurance Corp. said it has already filed administrative cases against a dialysis facility in Quezon City that allegedly made benefit claims for non-existent kidney treatments......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 6th, 2019

ACT Teachers reps condemn cases vs union leader

Legislators belonging to the Alliance of Concerned Teachers (ACT) have condemned what they called as “fabricated cases” filed against leaders of different rights organizations including ACT Union regional president for Northern Mindanao Ophelia Tabacon......»»

Category: newsSource:  davaotodayRelated NewsMay 21st, 2019

PBA’s Marcial says cases will be filed vs ‘Spiderman’

Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Commissioner Willie Marcial said that 31-year-old Paolo Felizarta of Imus, Cavite, who, dressed as Spiderman, disrupted Game 5 of the best-of-seven finals between San Miguel Beer…READ The post PBA’s Marcial says cases will be filed vs ‘Spiderman’ appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMay 11th, 2019

Cases filed against suspects in killing of 8 fishermen

ZAMBOANGA CITY — A case of multiple-murder, robbery and extortion was filed against nine sea marauders believed to be behind the killing of eight fishermen i.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 18th, 2017

Match-fixing back in spotlight on eve of first Grand Slam

JUSTIN BERGMAN, Associated Press   For Rafael Nadal and the other stars of tennis, there's a familiar ring to the questions being raised as the first ball is about to be struck at the Australian Open. Recent match-fixing sanctions and a new case are bringing fresh scrutiny to the integrity of the sport a year after corruption allegations cast a pall over the first Grand Slam of the year. '(It's) obviously negative, always in the first month of the season starts to happen,' Nadal said at the season-opening Brisbane International. 'You get tired about this kind of stuff, but the most important thing is fight against these kinds of things.' The headlines started appearing early in the new year. On Jan. 5, police in Australia charged an 18-year-old player with a match-fixing offense at a lower-tier tournament last October in Traralgon, near Melbourne. Days later, another Australian player, Nick Lindahl, now retired but once ranked in the top 200, was handed a seven-year ban and $35,000 fine from the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) for offering to throw a match at a minor tournament in the city of Toowoomba in 2013. Lindahl had already been fined after a criminal trial. Two other Australian players received lesser punishments in connection with the incident. While Traralgon and Toowoomba are far removed from the glittering lights of Melbourne Park, the timing of the developments was troubling nonetheless. Last season began similarly beneath a cloud of suspicion after a report by BBC and Buzzfeed alleged that tennis authorities had suppressed evidence of match-fixing and failed to investigate possible cases of corruption. The reports went over old ground, but the timing and the headlines overshadowed the tournament. 'I haven't heard anything (about match-fixing) since last year's Australian Open,' German player Mischa Zverev told The Associated Press last week in Brisbane. 'I think it was funny timing. ... Like the day before the Oscars, they're going to bring something up to make somebody not win it, or win it.' Since then, tennis leaders have gone into overdrive to restore confidence in the sport. An independent panel was created to review the TIU, the internal body tasked with combating corruption, and authorities promised to implement all of its recommendations when it is completed this spring. The TIU also took separate steps to strengthen its monitoring and investigation efforts, develop new anti-corruption education programs for players, and improve the transparency of its operations. In an email statement to The AP, the agency said nine players and officials were sanctioned last year for match-fixing — the most for a single year since the unit was established in 2008. Several were banned for life, including a young South African player and four officials from Turkey and Uzbekistan. The unit also expanded its outreach efforts with betting operators and regulators, leading to increased reporting of suspicious wagers. In 2016, the TIU received 292 betting alerts — an 18 percent increase over the previous year. The vast majority of those came from the Challenger and Futures circuits on the men's tour, considered the most at-risk for match-fixing given the lower likelihood of detection and the smaller earnings of the players. However, the TIU said three alerts were generated at Grand Slam events, as well. The agency was quick to note, though, that an alert isn't necessarily proof of match-fixing. Of the more than 114,000 matches played last year on the professional tours, only 0.2 percent triggered a suspicious betting alert. 'Tennis was one of the first major sports to recognize the potential threat of betting-related corruption and do something about it,' the TIU said. 'It will be for the independent review panel to take a view on the conduct and effectiveness of the unit and to put forward recommendations to improve the current structure and approach.' Whatever the investigators recommend, the fact remains the TIU faces an uphill battle. Technology has shifted the gambling landscape in such a way, it's increasingly difficult for monitors to keep up. In tennis, wagers aren't just placed on who wins or loses; bets can be placed during matches in real time on everything from total points won in a game to whether a set goes to a tiebreak. 'We're talking individual player activities here,' said Hans Westerbeek, dean of the College of Sport and Exercise Science at Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia. 'It's much easier to get into a situation where you approach individual players to do things that can be, if done well, quite well hidden from it being suspicious.' He likens it to the ongoing battle against performance-enhancing drugs. 'You're always struggling to keep up with the innovations that a better-resourced front of gambling operators, legal or illegal, will have available to advance their technology.' Ryan Rodenberg, an associate professor of forensic sports law analytics at Florida State University, says this is one reason a more sophisticated approach is critically needed. He recommends an internal monitoring system that analyzes each match for suspicious activity in real time, rather than relying solely on betting alerts. 'A robust betting data-monitoring operation would have both in-house capabilities and a number of collaborative information sharing agreements with third parties such as sportsbooks, private monitoring firms or academics,' he said. 'Anything less is sub-optimal.' With a limited budget of just $3.23 million for 2017, however, there is only so much the TIU can do. As such, preventative measures such as education have become a priority. More than 25,000 players and officials have completed the TIU's online anti-corruption training program, and a new version will be launched that players will be required to complete every two years. 'Educating players who are up-and-coming and those who support those players is a very good, positive and necessary thing to do,' Westerbeek says. 'Because the root of the problem is ... people not really (understanding) they're engaging in criminal activity.' ___ AP Sports Writer John Pye contributed to this report. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 13th, 2017

Sandiganbayan orders ex-ERC chief tried over ‘pork’ scam

MANILA, Philippines – The Sandiganbayan has found sufficient grounds to proceed with the trial for graft and malversation cases filed against former Davao de.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

Cases filed vs suspect in stray bullet incident

Criminal cases were filed Tuesday against the man who allegedly shot a barangay watchman on New Year’s Eve, but instead hit 15-year-old Emelyn Calano who is still in comatose......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 4th, 2017

Suspects in Cavite lass rape-slay case identified

Police have filed cases of rape with homicide against four suspects identified as perpetrators of a gruesome crime that led to the death of a pretty 17-year-old student last week......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsDec 15th, 2016

Morales: All ‘pork’ cases resolved by 2017

MANILA, Philippines – The Office of the Ombudsman is aiming to resolve by the end of 2017 all pending complaints filed against former and incumbent lawmakers.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 13th, 2016

Most child abuse cases in PH happen at home – study

Most child abuse cases in PH happen at home – study.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 7th, 2016

Most child abuse cases in PH happen at home – study - Rappler

Most child abuse cases in PH happen at home – study - Rappler.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsDec 7th, 2016

De Lima’s cases to Senate ethic committee

The Senate committee on ethics will take up the two ethics complaint that have been filed against Senator Leila de Lima next week, Tuesday, Senate Majority Leader Vicente “Tito” Sotto III yesterday said......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsNov 29th, 2016

Lumad groups file charges vs Manila Police officials

MANILA, Philippines — Injured victims of the violent dispersal of protesters in front of the US Embassy last week filed criminal and administrative cases aga.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 26th, 2016

Ombudsman dismisses cases filed vs. ex-Sulu governor

Ombudsman dismisses cases filed vs. ex-Sulu governor.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsOct 13th, 2016

Finally, we won the war against the RH Law!

Have you ever wondered what ever happened to the cases filed before the Supreme Court on the legality of the implementation of the Reproductive Health (RH) L.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 3rd, 2016

Rody: De Lima will be jailed

MANILA, Philippines - Cases have not been filed against Sen......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 27th, 2016