Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Tunisia wins Afrobasket beating Nigeria in final

RADES, Tunisia (AP) — Tunisia won its second African basketball championship when it dethroned Nigeria 77-65 in the final on Saturday. Backed by a home crowd, Tunisia used clutch 3-point shooting to keep Nigeria at bay in the second half. Ziyed Chennoufi led Tunisia with 19 points, and Nizar Knioua added 16. Tunisia played the tournament without Salah Mejri, a 2.18-meter (7-foot-2) center for the Dallas Mavericks. Mejri, who is recovering from a knee injury, was the MVP of Tunisia's title run in the 2011 AfroBasket. Nigeria was trying to become the first team to successfully defend the title in eight years. Ike Diogu led Nigeria with 20 points and 10 rebounds, and was named MVP of the tournament after averaging 22 points per game. Tunisia coach Mario Palma dedicated the victory to the Tunisian people. The Arab Spring uprisings began in Tunisia, which is struggling with youth unemployment and terrorism concerns. 'This victory is going to help a lot of people who suffer, who don't have money, who are poor,' Palma said. 'They're going to have a few weeks to feel well.' Palma, a 67-year-old Portuguese-Angolan, coached Angola to four consecutive AfroBasket titles, from 1999 to 2005. Palma said his team held 84 practices. In contrast, Nigeria was assembled, and a new coach hired, just a few weeks before the tournament. 'Obviously, everybody in the locker room is upset,' Diogu said. 'It was a learning experience, and we'll be back.' Diogu, selected ninth overall by the Golden State Warriors in the 2005 NBA Draft, was the lone returnee from Nigeria's championship team. But he didn't compete in the 2015 tourney after injuring a calf muscle in training camp. After Bryant MBamalu's jumper extended Nigeria's lead to 18-8 with 8:51 to play in the second quarter, Palma called a timeout and yelled at his players: 'Move the ball!' They listened. Tunisia fought back to end the half leading 25-24. At halftime, Palma told his players that the Nigerians were tired, and they should take advantage of it. 'I told my players that the first five minutes are very important. Don't give them confidence. No second shots,' Palma said. 'They are tired. They cannot play against us.' The Tunisians opened the second half with a 19-6 run, backed by Chennoufi's eight points. In the fourth quarter, Nigeria closed the deficit to 68-61 on O'Karo Akamune's dunk with 2:02 remaining. Once again, however, Tunisia responded. Omar Abada's 3-pointer provided a 10-point cushion and Mourad El Mabrouk added another long ball, giving Tunisia a 74-63 lead with 43 seconds left. Tunisia shot 37.5 percent from 3-point range; Knioua was 4 of 5 and Chennoufi was 4 of 6. Ike Iroegbu added 17 points for Nigeria. The Tunisian players cut down the nets and invited their children on the podium when they received their gold medals. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 17th, 2017

Kings trip Painters, regain lead

MANILA, Philippines —  Barangay Ginebra rebounded strong from a loss to San Miguel Beer, pulling off an almost wire-to-wire 89-82 win over Rain or Shine to r.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 16th, 2017

Ricciardo tops both Singapore GP practices in record times

em>By Jerome Pugmire, Associated Press /em> SINGAPORE (AP) — Red Bull showed it might have the form to contend for victory at the Singapore Grand Prix, with Daniel Ricciardo beating his lap record again in the second practice on Friday. Ricciardo had already crushed his lap record from last year by nearly five seconds in the afternoon's first practice, and then went two seconds quicker in the second practice. The Australian clocked 1 minute, 40.852 seconds under the floodlights, and that was enough to convince him that he can clinch a second win of the season and sixth of his career on Sunday. 'I'm not surprised with our performance,' Ricciardo said. 'I have a lot of faith we can stay there all weekend.' Teammate Max Verstappen was second, more than half a second behind, championship leader Lewis Hamilton was .70 back in third, and his Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas fourth. 'We looked very strong,' Verstappen said. 'We all know that Daniel is always very quick here.' It was a disappointing evening session for Ferrari, which was expected to dominate on the sinewy five-kilometer (three-mile) street circuit. Sebastian Vettel, who is second in the title race, could manage only the 11th best time and teammate Kimi Raikkonen was ninth. 'It was a difficult day and not a lot of things made sense,' Raikkonen said. 'There is a lot to work on.' Even though Vettel set his time using a slower tire compound in P2, he looked shaky and brushed the wall coming out of a routine turn. 'I was very lucky I could continue,' the four-time F1 champion said. 'It was a tricky session for us. The balance wasn't quite there.' In P1, he was second to Ricciardo, Verstappen was third and Hamilton fourth. Singapore is like Monaco and Hungary in that it is a hard-braking track which is tough to overtake on, and more suited to Ferrari and Red Bull than Mercedes. No driver has more podium finishes in Singapore than Vettel, whose impressive streak at the night race includes three straight wins from 2011-13 during his run of four straight F1 titles with former team Red Bull. But Ricciardo arrives in Singapore in very consistent form, with six podiums in the last nine races. He has further reason to be confident, finishing second here in the last two years, with the fastest lap both times. 'I knew we'd come here with a good car,' Ricciardo said. 'A dominant weekend is what I'm after.' His Red Bull team principal Christian Horner joked, perhaps it was Ricciardo's 'aerodynamic' new haircut that helped him shave off chunks of time. Regardless, Horner was somewhat cautious ahead of qualifying on Saturday. 'It was a very good day for both of our drivers. Daniel had a very strong session,' he said. 'But we didn't see Ferrari's true hand and Mercedes always hold a little bit up their sleeves.'   .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 16th, 2017

Bottas never felt "in a panic" about new Mercedes deal

em>By Jerome Pugmire, Associated Press /em> SINGAPORE (AP) — Valtteri Bottas took his new Mercedes contract in his stride, even though the decision was made late in the season. The Finnish driver, who joined as an emergency replacement after Nico Rosberg retired just days after winning last year's title, was awarded a one-year extension this week for 2018. Despite the somewhat late call, leading observers to speculate whether Mercedes had been looking elsewhere, Bottas never felt 'in a massive panic' about whether he would get an extra year. 'At no point during this year have I got any signs from the team that they were looking somewhere else,' Bottas said at the Singapore Grand Prix. 'For sure, it is a good feeling, and better than not knowing and better than having no confirmation.' Bottas has exceeded expectations as Lewis Hamilton's teammate, winning two races and securing seven other podium finishes to emerge as an outside contender for the title. Hamilton leads Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel by three points, with Bottas a further 41 behind Hamilton in third place. Bottas has not written off his title hopes, but knows he has to score heavily in the seven remaining races to have a chance, starting with Singapore. 'I should start sooner than later to finish ahead of them, as the season end is coming closer,' he said. However, the sinewy street circuit in Singapore reduces speed and overtaking is more suited to Ferrari than Mercedes. At Monaco and Hungary — which are both notoriously hard to overtake on — Ferrari secured a 1-2 and left Mercedes lagging behind. 'This track is not one of our strongest circuits, and maybe even one of the most difficult ones,' Bottas said. 'It is a lot about the trust in your car.' At times this season, Mercedes has struggled with its set up, causing problems with balance and rear tire issues. 'If we look at Budapest and Monaco, for example, we have been struggling,' Bottas said. 'It is not the easiest car to set up right.' Although Singapore is a night race, the sweltering humidity tests drivers' endurance more than other races as fatigue and dehydration impact on concentration. 'Toward the end of the race here, it is more likely that you make a mistake,' Bottas said. 'Physical fitness does play a role.'   .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 15th, 2017

Alonso hints at McLaren stay with new engine deal imminent

em>By Jerome Pugmire, Associated Press /em> SINGAPORE (AP) — Fernando Alonso could end up staying at McLaren. Amid growing speculation that McLaren will split with Honda and work with Renault as its engine supplier next year, the two-time Formula One champion hinted he is prepared to continue with the team for another year. 'After they take a decision, I will take mine,' the Spanish driver said Thursday at the Singapore Grand Prix. 'I want to stay loyal to them and not make any decisions without them first making their decisions.' McLaren is in its third troublesome year with Honda and there has been scant sign of any improvement. Alonso has grown increasingly agitated at Honda's lack of reliability, completing only three races this season with a best finish of sixth. Alonso has scored 10 points so far, while McLaren teammate Stoffel Vandoorne has managed only one. Renault has a far more reliable engine than Honda, with Nico Hulkenberg consistently in the points for Renault and completing 10 of 13 races. With Alonso behind the wheel, and using a Renault engine, McLaren could expect a significant performance boost next year. Despite being one of the oldest drivers on the grid, the 36-year-old Spaniard is still widely considered to be one of the best. He has done well in trying circumstances with McLaren and remains ambitious. 'If I remain in F1 it is because I believe I can win next year,' said Alonso, whose last of 32 F1 wins was at the Spanish GP in 2013 when driving for Ferrari. 'I will not be around in any series to be fighting for top 10.' With Alonso likely staying at McLaren, Renault is expected to sign Spanish driver Carlos Sainz Jr. from Toro Rosso as a replacement for British driver Jolyon Palmer, who has failed to score a point this season. Palmer expects to see out the season, at least, amid reports he could be replaced imminently. 'I've got seven more races this year,' Palmer said. 'I'll be racing until Abu Dhabi.' Official engine changes are expected to be announced on Friday. Representatives of Renault, McLaren, Honda and Red Bull are all scheduled to appear at a news conference after practice ends in Singapore. Toro Rosso, a feeder team to Red Bull, is set to split with Renault next year and switch to Honda engines until 2020. Renault's relationship with Red Bull has also been difficult, and Renault will also reportedly cut ties with Red Bull in 2019. This would give Toro Rosso the opportunity to use the Honda engines for one season until both teams use it from 2019. Red Bull has slipped further behind Ferrari and Mercedes this season and is a long way from the all-conquering team that won four straight drivers' and constructors' championships from 2010-13. Christian Horner, Red Bull's team principal, has been highly critical of Renault's performance since the move to turbo hybrid engines in 2014. 'We pay a hell of a lot of money for the engine,' Horner said after last month's Belgian GP. 'They need to sort it out.' However, a move to Honda could come at a cost as it could lead to Red Bull drivers Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen pondering their futures. Moving from one under-performing engine to the most unreliable one on the grid is hardly an enticing prospect for two of the most highly-rated drivers in F1. Both are under contract for 2018 but would easily find options elsewhere. Although Ricciardo has won one race and secured five other podium finishes this season, Verstappen has made no secret of his utter frustration with his car's engine failures. Since placing third in China at the second race, the 19-year-old Verstappen has failed to finish six times. He already counts twice as many DNFs — failures to complete a race — as last season, with seven GPs remaining. Verstappen was so exasperated after his engine cut out in Belgium that he sarcastically compared his car to Alonso's malfunctioning McLaren in terms of unreliability. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 15th, 2017

AIM's big data bid to regain business school leadership

p class="p1"> span id="ext-gen2751" class="s1"> /span> p class="p1"> span class="s1">MANILA, Philippines – One of the many things we can blame on the Marcos years is how the Asian Institute of Management (AIM) lost its lead among business schools in the region. /span> p class="p1"> span class="s1">The future was bright when AIM was organized in the late 1960s ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 27th, 2017

Dela Rosa back at helm in touring car

MANILA, Philippines - Patrick dela Rosa posted an emphatic win to regain the lead in the Yokohama Philippine Grand Touring Car Championships at the Clark Int.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 4th, 2017

Uber rival Grab to raise $2.5 billion in new financing

SINGAPORE: Southeast Asian ride-hailing firm Grab said Monday it expects to raise $2.5 billion in financing, mostly from China's Didi Chuxing and Japan's Softbank, as it strengthens its lead over rival Uber. Didi, China's ride-hailing leader, and mobile giant SoftBank will invest up to $2.0 billion while $500 million is expected to come from other [...].....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJul 24th, 2017

Meralco-Cebu draw puts Sparks on top

MANILA, Philippines - FC Meralco Manila and Global Cebu FC battled to a 2-2 draw in a result that allowed the Sparks to regain the lead in the Philippines Fo.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 23rd, 2017

PAL offers P20B NAIA T2 expansion

Again, I complained to PAL president Jimmy Bautista about my experience in Terminal 2 during my last trip to Singapore......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 15th, 2017

Global Cebu blows lead vs Singapore

MANILA, Philippines - Ten-man Global Cebu FC blew its bid to book a historic trip to the AFC Cup Asean zone finals after squandering a one-goal lead in a 2-3.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 31st, 2017

An amazing race of a lifetime

SINGAPORE — Every Amazing Race experience — be it the Asian or US edition — is a ride of a lifetime......»»

Category: moviesSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 25th, 2016

Perpetual to go all-out in NC volley 2nd round

MANILA, Philippines - Perpetual Help toughens up during the holiday break as it seeks to regain the lead from San Beda when the NCAA men’s volleyball resumes.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 22nd, 2016

Altas seek payback vs Lions in NCAA men s volley

MANILA, Philippines — Defending men's champion University of Perpetual Help will go all out to regain the lead against San Beda University when the eliminati.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 22nd, 2016

B Pier seek share of lead versus Elite

MANILA, Philippines – A well-rested GlobalPort squad returns to action tonight, raring to go full throttle again and regain a share of the lead with titlehol.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 20th, 2016

Indians gain 2-1 lead, regain home turf edge

Cubs blanked anew in world series.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 29th, 2016

Aruba’s Strategy: Focus on End-user Experience

Mr Dominic Orr, CEO of Aruba delivered the keynote address during their APAC Atmosphere 2016 event held at the Marina Bay Sands, Singapore. The event opened with a dragon dance after which Mr Orr announced its developer-ready Mobile First Platform in add.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsSep 30th, 2016

Red Cubs repel Robins, regain solo lead

MANILA, Philippines – San Beda turned back Mapua, 89-84, and watched Arellano U fall to Lyceum of the Phl U, 66-77, on Monday day to regain the solo lead in.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 5th, 2016

Ore-ban talk gathers pace in Asia

SINGAPORE -- The Philippines should follow Indonesia’s lead and prohibit the export of raw metal ores, according to Indonesian National Development Planning Minister Bambang Brodjonegoro, who said he was a big supporter of the curbs imposed by his .....»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsAug 22nd, 2016

Meralco targets solo lead

5:15 p.m. - Rain or Shine vs Phoenix The unbeaten Meralco Bolts aim to regain sole possession of first place as they go for their third win against the TNT Katropa today in the PBA Governors' Cup.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJul 23rd, 2016