Advertisements


UK warns government agencies not to use Kaspersky software

LONDON — Britain's cybersecurity agency has told government departments not to use antivirus software from Moscow-based firm Kaspersky Lab amid concerns abou.....»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarDec 3rd, 2017

NGO warns DOH-accredited clinics, recruitment agencies vs online medical registration scheme victimizing OFWs

A non-government organization that specializes in labor migration warned medical clinics and recruitment agencies catering to OFWs not to fall for a dubious scheme hatched allegedly by the GCC Ministry of Health, which imposes a $10-fee online registration fee for every Middle East-bound OFW applicant......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsJan 2nd, 2018

Russian cyberfirm Kaspersky appeals ban in US court

SAN FRANCISCO, USA – Embattled cyber security firm Kaspersky Lab said on Monday, December 18, that it is asking a federal court to overturn a ban on its products being used by US agencies. Allegations that Moscow-based Kaspersky, which sold more than $600 million of anti-virus software globally in 2015, knowingly or unknowingly ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 19th, 2017

An alert researcher, teamwork helped stem huge cyberattack

LONDON — The cyberattack that spread malicious software around the world, shutting down networks at hospitals, banks and government agencies, was thwarted by.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 14th, 2017

RCMP reveals use of secretive cellphone surveillance technology for the first time – CBC News

The RCMP for the first time is publicly confirming it uses cellphone surveillance devices in investigations across Canada — but at the same time says the potential of unauthorized snooping in Ottawa, as reported by CBC News, poses a threat to national security. &'8220;Absolutely,&'8221; RCMP Chief Supt. Jeff Adam, who is in charge of technical investigations services, said in an unprecedented technical briefing Wednesday with reporters from CBC News, the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail. The RCMP held the briefing in the wake of a CBC News investigation that found evidence that devices known as IMSI catchers may be in use near government buildings in Ottawa for the purpose of illegal spying. &'8220;Not everyone uses the equipment in the way the RCMP does,&'8221; Adam said. &'8220;It is publicly known there is equipment out there that is not limited in its capturing of communications between devices. And so it's a security risk when it is used in proximity to government and/or any other commercial enterprises.&'8221; Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said Tuesday the devices detected did not belong to any Canadian police or intelligence agency. Adam told reporters that while he isn't &'8220;personally aware&'8221; of foreign agencies using the technology in Canada, &'8220;I can't rule that out.&'8221; But on Wednesday, after shrouding their own use of the technology in secrecy for years, the RCMP took the unprecedented step of speaking publicly about the devices — also known as Stingrays or Mobile Device Identifiers (MDIs) — to address public concern amidst mounting questions about their use The RCMP says that MDIs — of which it owns 10 — have become &'8220;vital tools&'8221; deployed scores of times to identify and track mobile devices in 19 criminal investigations last year and another 24 in 2015. He says in all cases but one in 2016, police got warrants. The one exception was an exigent circumstance — in other words, an emergency scenario &'8220;such as a kidnapping,&'8221; said Adam, whose office tracks every instance where an MDI has been used by the RCMP. &'8220;This technology is a vital tool in providing valuable assistance to criminal investigations,&'8221; Adam said, adding some recent media reporting has misstated how police use MDIs and what the technology can actually do. He says using an MDI requires senior police approval as well as getting a judge's order. And he says the technology provides only a first step in an investigation allowing officers to identify a device. He says only then can police apply for additional warrants to obtain a user's &'8220;basic subscriber information&'8221; such as name and address connected to the phone. Then, he says, only if the phone and suspect are targets of the investigation can police seek additional warrants to track the device or conduct a wiretap to capture communications. Adam says the RCMP currently has 24 technicians trained and authorized to deploy the devices across Canada. He knows other police forces own and use them too, but declined to name them. He said the RCMP's devices are restricted in their use, with software that only allows them to identify a mobile device and to potentially track the location of that phone. &'8220;What the RCMP technology does not do is collect private communication,&'8221; Adam said. &'8220;In other words, it does not collect voice and audio communications, email messages, text messages, contact lists, images, encryption keys or basic subscriber information.&'8221; There do exist interception tools that allow eavesdropping on phone calls and direct interception of digital messages but Adam said the RCMP does not own them or use them. He said anyone operating in Canada without a proper licence or judge's authorization would be breaking section 191.1 of the Criminal Code that prohibits possession of these kinds of interception devices. He also said it would be a violation of the Radiocommunications Act. Adam conceded that until two months ago the RCMP itself failed to get express approval to use MDIs from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED, formerly Industry Canada), the government body responsible for regulating technology that might interfere with wireless communications. He said the RCMP believed at one point that an exemption introduced in early 2015 to the Radiocommunications Act allowing the use of cellular &'8220;jammers&'8221; might also exempt the use of MDIs — but ISED ultimately disagreed. Otherwise, he said police have almost always sought a warrant, though he noted a few exceptions. He said in recent years the law has changed to catch up with emerging technologies. Police used to apply for a general warrant to use the technology. In 2015, Adam said there was a period of at least six months — between March and October — when the RCMP didn't seek a warrant at all, acting on advice from the Department of Justice and government prosecutors. RCMP say that in the past five years — including this period — police used the devices without a warrant in 11 investigations. IMSI catchers have been highly controversial for fear that hundreds of innocent device users can be swept up in the collection of cellular data. Adam said all data collected is strictly protected, isolated and reported to judges, preserved until it is no longer needed and then destroyed. &'8220;The data, once it is seized lawfully to the judge, will be secured and locked up for criminal court purposes. It will not be accessed other than the target information,&'8221; Adam said. He said the RCMP has been fully co-operating with the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner, which has been investigating police use of cellphone-tracking equipment in Canada. He also said police are very aware that cell MDIs can potentially [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsApr 6th, 2017

NFA council head out

CABINET Secretary Leoncio “Jun” Evasco will no longer head the policy setting National Food Authority (NFA) Council. Evasco used to supervise the NFA on the strength of Executive Order 1 issued by President Rodrigo Duterte in 2016. The Cabinet Secretary also has supervision over 11 other government agencies. In a….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsApr 17th, 2018

TIMELINE: Tracing BIR s tax complaint against Rappler Holdings

MANILA, Philippines – It's been over a month since the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) filed a tax evasion case against Rappler Holdings Corporation – the latest in a string of complaints from government agencies that have been going after the social news network since President Rodrigo Duterte accused it of being  funded by the Central Intelligence Agency ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 17th, 2018

Gov’t not yet fully prepared to cushion impact of Boracay closure

  BORACAY ISLAND, AKLAN - Government agencies are apparently not yet fully prepared to cushion the impact of a six-month closure of Boracay Island barely nine days before the island is closed to tourists.   President Duterte is expected to declare a state of calamity over the 1,032-hectare island and an executive order shutting down tourism activities on the island.   But in the first and only conference to discuss government's plans for the closure and rehabilitation of the island, government officials admitted that they were still in the process of profiling and validating about 30,000 registered and unregistered workers that would be affected and woul...Keep on reading: Gov’t not yet fully prepared to cushion impact of Boracay closure.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 17th, 2018

CHR plans migrant workers observatory to check abuses

The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) is establishing a "migrant workers observatory" that will enable the government to respond systematically to recurring abuses against Filipinos working in other countries. "The existence of an observatory will depend on each country, they may or may not have [one]. It might be called differently in other countries," CHR Commissioner Gwen Pimentel-Gana said. A briefer recently provided by the CHR to the Inquirer took note of the "fragmented" baseline information of different government agencies on Filipino migrant workers. This underscores the need to "develop a system to integrate a reliable baseline as a starting point for a systematic monit...Keep on reading: CHR plans migrant workers observatory to check abuses.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 15th, 2018

Shift in strategy to speed up infrastructure projects — Department of Transportation

The government agencies leading massive airport, railway and road projects have vowed to hasten the completion of the crucial infrastructure buildup......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 15th, 2018

Shift in strategy to speed up infra projects — DOTr

The government agencies leading massive airport, railway and road projects have vowed to hasten the completion of the crucial infrastructure buildup......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 15th, 2018

Data management company sees opportunities in Philippine market

DATA management company Veritas Technologies LLC is looking to take advantage of opportunities in the Philippine market, amid the rising interest of corporations, government agencies, and organizations in information management. Veritas Managing Director for Asia South Region Ravi Rajendran said the company is targeting small and medium businesses and government agencies, aside from their current […] The post Data management company sees opportunities in Philippine market appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 13th, 2018

EO out on MSMEs development plan

By Arjay L. Balinbin MALACAÑANG announced on Tuesday, March 10, that President Rodrigo R. Duterte has signed Executive Order (EO) No. 50 approving the development plan for 2017-2022 on Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs). The President’s EO also directs concerned government agencies and instrumentalities, including government-owned or -controlled corporations (GOCCs) and local government units […] The post EO out on MSMEs development plan appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 10th, 2018

Duterte signs EO approving development plan for MSMEs

Malacañang announced on Tuesday, April 10, that President Rodrigo R. Duterte has signed Executive Order (EO) No. 50 approving the development plan for 2017-2022 of the Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprise (MSME). The President’s EO also directs concerned government agencies and instrumentalities, including government-owned or -controlled corporations (GOCCs) and local government units (LGUs) to adopt […] The post Duterte signs EO approving development plan for MSMEs appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 10th, 2018

SAFE BOHOL launching

The Provincial Government of Bohol, together LGU Inabanga and local and national government agencies will launch SAFE Bohol (Security Always For Everyone): Boholano Bayanihan on April 11, 2018 at the Inabanga Municipal Gym. This highlights the anniversary program of the Abu Sayaf incursion last year.              The event will kick off with a […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  boholnewsdailyRelated NewsApr 10th, 2018

Government messaging needs improvement

How can I describe government’s style of messaging? Certain adjectives come to mind — pompous, high-handed, defensive, antagonistic, divisive, confusing. This is true not only of the messages that come from Malacañang’s pulpit but also those that come from its various agencies. I say this with all due respect to those involved in messaging, including […] The post Government messaging needs improvement appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 8th, 2018

Roque disputes Piñol over NFA Council abolition

    Does President Duterte want to abolish the NFA Council, the policymaking body of the National Food Authority, to end the conflict between the two over the shortage in the supply of government-subsidized rice?   Yes, says Agriculture Secretary Manny Piol. No, says presidential spokesperson Harry Roque.   The confusion over what the President intended to do with the NFA Council followed a meeting between Mr. Duterte and rice traders on Thursday night.   "He has abolished the NFA Council and he will transfer the NFA and other agencies related to agriculture that were removed from the Department of Agriculture back to the DA," Piol said in...Keep on reading: Roque disputes Piñol over NFA Council abolition.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 7th, 2018

Revamp of bureaucracy must end rice supply uncertainty

In a meeting with rice traders Thursday night, President Rodrigo Duterte expressed dissatisfaction with the way government agencies have been handling the rice supply situation in the country and thus, he ordered changes to the bureaucracy. The following day, Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol told reporters that President Duterte has ordered a revamp at the National [...] The post Revamp of bureaucracy must end rice supply uncertainty appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsApr 6th, 2018

MRT 3 exec complains of ‘physical assault’ from general manager during meet with foreign agencies

Fixing the dismal state of the Metro Rail Transit 3 (MRT 3) may have already taken a toll on its officials as a top executive reportedly "assaulted" his colleague on Friday while they were in a meeting with foreign aid agencies working to help the government fix the country's main train line. In a text message, MRT 3 director for operations Mike Capati complained to Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade that he was allegedly "physically assaulted" by MRT 3 general manager Rodolfo Garcia in front of representatives of the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) and the Asian Development Bank (ADB). It was unclear, however, from the text message shared to the me...Keep on reading: MRT 3 exec complains of ‘physical assault’ from general manager during meet with foreign agencies.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 6th, 2018

Ensure assistance to 17,000 workers in Boracay – Legarda

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Senator Loren Legarda on Thursday, April 5, urged government agencies to provide assistance to workers who will be affected by the looming closure of Boracay. Legarda pointed out that the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has a budget of P2.3 billion for 2018 under the Tulong ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 5th, 2018

Pasig River ferry rehab set

The government plans to complete by 2022 a ferry system that will connect Manila Bay and Laguna de Bay through the Pasig River as an alternative means of transportation in traffic-congested Metro Manila. By the middle of this year, the government will bid out the contract to operate the Pasig River ferry system to a private firm. At the same time, state agencies will build an additional 17 stations over the next four years to add to the existing 12 in order to serve up to 76,800 passengers a day, Budget Secretary Benjamin E. Diokno told a press briefing Wednesday. Ten agencies led by the DBM at Wednesday's Cabinet meeting pitched what they called as the Pasig River Ferry Convergenc...Keep on reading: Pasig River ferry rehab set.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 4th, 2018