Advertisements


The process of justice and injustice

The Avila sex bar in Calapandayan, Subic town, Zambales has been closed with a steel gate since the hand of justice came to that place on February 6, 2013, when we rescued young girls from sex slavery and the domineering power of the owner, US national Arthur David Benjamin, 49. Along that national road, many other [...] The post The process of justice and injustice appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource: manilatimes_net manilatimes_netMay 26th, 2018

Environmentalists praised closure of 23 mining firms

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – Environmentalists and anti-mining groups lauded the closure of nearly two dozen mining firms and vowed to support government efforts to curb destructive mining practices in the country. Environment Secretary Gina Lopez ordered the closure of 23 metallic mines in the country, while suspending five more, for serious environmental violations discovered during the industry-wide audit conducted by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) since July last year. “My issue here is not about mining. My issue here is social justice. If there are businesses and foreigners that go and utilize the resources of that area for their benefit and the people of the island suffer, that’s social injustice,” Lopez said. She said the closure orders were based on the final results and recommendations of the multisectoral audit teams formed to look into the compliance of mining operators with the existing environmental laws and regulations. The mining firms ordered closed were the following: Benguet Corp. Nickel Mines Inc., Eramen Minerals Inc., Zambales Diversified Metals Corp., and LNL Archipelago Minerals Inc., all in Zambales province, due mainly to siltation of rivers, destruction of a functional watershed and illegal tree-cutting. Mt. Sinai Mining Exploration and Development Corp., Emir Minerals Corp., and TechIron Mineral Resources Inc. in Homonhon mainly for siltation of coastal waters and destruction of functional watershed. AAMPHIL Natural Resources Exploration, Kromico Inc., SinoSteel Philippines H.Y. Mining Corp., Oriental Synergy Mining Corp., Wellex Mining Corp., Libjo Mining Corp., Oriental Vision Mining Phils. Corp., in Dinagat Islands mainly for siltation of coastal waters. ADNAMA Mining Resources Corp., Claver Mineral Development Corp., Platinum Group Metals Corp., CTP Construction and Mining Corp., Carrascal Nickel Corp., Marcventures Mining and Development Corp., and Hinatuan Mining Corp. in Surigao del Norte mainly for siltation of coastal waters and mining in functional watersheds. Benguet Corporation in Itogon, Benguet and Ore Asia Mining and Development Corp. in Bulacan were likewise issued suspension orders by Lopez. &'160; She also deferred to give a decision on the fate of Filminera Resources Corp. pending further investigation. The five mining companies that were issued suspension orders are Berong Nickel Corp., OceanaGold Phils., Lepanto Consolidated Mining Corp., Citinickel Mines and Development Corp. and Strong Built Mining Development Corp. According to DENR Undersecretary for Legal Affairs Maria Paz Luna, the companies can file for a Motion for Reconsideration to the DENR within 15 days from receipt of the order. Luna said the DENR decision can still be appealed to the Office of the President. The DENR had earlier assured the mining sector and the general public that due process was “meticulously observed” in the audit of all existing metallic mines nationwide. It also assured that the audit results “really promote the common good and social justice” espoused by Lopez and President Rodrigo Duterte. A staunch advocate of responsible mining, Lopez has made it clear that the common good and the protection of the environment would be her paramount concern, not money. She emphasized that no mining company can operate in a functional watershed which protects water sources. “Water is life. We will not allow the water of our people to be at risk for any business interest,” Lopez said. 16 Audit Teams Barely a week at the DENR, Lopez ordered an industry-wide audit in July last year to look into the adequacy and efficiency of environmental protection measures taken by the mining companies, determine gaps in those measures and identify the appropriate penalties for violations of mining and environmental laws. A total of 16 audit teams were formed to review the environmental compliance of mining companies in all regions in the country. Each team is composed of representatives from the DENR central and regional offices, the Mines and Geosciences Bureau, the Department of Health, the Department of Agriculture and civil society organizations. The audit focused on safety and health; mine environmental management; social development; mining tenement; and compliance with laws on clean air, clean water, hazardous waste and solid waste. Technical experts from the different government offices that have been invited to conduct the audit all abide in the standards of truth, service, and the common good. “We based the checklist of the criteria for the audit on the items in compliance with the different mining and environmental laws. A cross-audit was also done, which means that the auditors who reviewed one site, have come from a different region,” Lopez said. “We also gave seven days for the companies to respond to the results of the audit, providing a leeway for them to clear the issues that were raised. We had to review the reported results of the audit for five months before we have to release it, ensuring that we followed the process meticulously.” Lopez said the issue is not about mining, but social justice. “If there are businesses and foreigners that go and utilize the resources of that area for their benefit and the people of that island suffer, that’s social injustice. We assure the industry and the general public that due process was meticulously observed in the mining audit conducted by the agency and that the results would be always anchored on integrity, social justice, and the common good,” she said. Zamboanga del Sur, Tawi-Tawi Environmentalists also urged Lopez to review again the mining operations of TVI Resource Development (Phils.) Inc. in Zamboanga del Sur’s Bayog town where Subanen natives opposed the entry of the company in [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsFeb 6th, 2017

TURNING POINT: Shaking A Sick Justice System

NAAWAN, Misamis Oriental (MindaNews/ 17 Oct) – Our justice system is virulently shaken in the advent of the Trillanes amnesty nullification case. Consider this. The Executive Department usurped the power of the Supreme Court when the President nullified the amnesty granted to Sen. Antonio Trillanes VI and ordered him arrested without due process, through Proclamation […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsOct 17th, 2018

Trillanes tells Guevarra: I should be the last casualty of injustice

Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV and Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra faced off on Wednesday since the controversy on the senator’s amnesty broke out last month......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 3rd, 2018

Trillanes tells Guevarra: I should be the last casualty of injustice

Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV and Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra faced off on Wednesday since the controversy on the senator’s amnesty broke out last month. Source link link: Trillanes tells Guevarra: I should be the 'last casualty' of injustice.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsOct 3rd, 2018

Sereno’s self-imposed graceful exit

“When the justice committee rejected her position, the Sereno camp announced to the news media that Sereno was denied due process. That’s fake news, and the discerning public saw it. In a televised interview last 28 June, ousted Supreme Court (SC) Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno declared that she was open to the idea of […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsSep 28th, 2018

Who s who: Candidates vying to replace former SC justice Martires

MANILA, Philippines – The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) is screening 13 candidates vying to fill the spot in the Supreme Court left vacant by now Ombudsman Samuel Martires .  Eight individuals will face the JBC for an interview on Wednesday, September 26, – an essential part in the process of ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 26th, 2018

Palparan conviction an important step for justice in Philippines — rights groups

The conviction of retired Army general Jovito Palparan Jr.—whom activists have accused of abuse and extrajudicial killings—is a bright spot in the country’s judicial process, rights organizations said......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 18th, 2018

[OPINION] Courage in the face of injustice

Below is the speech of former chief justice Maria Lourdes Sereno at the Forward Pilipinas forum held at Samsung Hall, SM Aura Premier, on September 1. Good afternoon, my friends. I call you my friends because I know that many of you have a shared commitment to see our ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 2nd, 2018

Desperate destab move

“The yellow effort obviously has Rody again as the ultimate target. The yellow mob is trying to conjure a political crisis through its House minions to derail the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) process and complete a shortlist for the Chief Justice post vacated by the ousted Maria Lourdes Sereno. Sereno was booted out 11 […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsAug 24th, 2018

Impeachment process against anti-Sereno justices to be expedited — GMA

THE House of Representatives (HoR) to “expedite” the impeachment process against the seven Supreme Court associate justices who ruled in favor of the quo warranto case that ousted former chief justice Maria Lourdes P. A. Sereno, according to House Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. The post Impeachment process against anti-Sereno justices to be expedited — GMA appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsAug 24th, 2018

ICCC probe must observe due process, mayor says

MAYOR Jose Espinosa III advised the Sangguniang Panlungsod (SP) to observe due process and fair play in investigating the alleged controversies hounding the Iloilo City Community College (ICCC). Espinosa, a lawyer by training, said all complaints should be validated and confirmed. “In dispensing justice, we have this rule on presumption of innocence. Everyone is presumed […] The post ICCC probe must observe due process, mayor says appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsAug 21st, 2018

NFL preseason games see players demonstrate during anthem

By The Associated Press Player demonstrations took place during the national anthem at several early NFL preseason games Thursday night. In Philadelphia, Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins and cornerback De'Vante Bausby raised their fists during the anthem, and defensive end Chris Long placed his arm around Jenkins' shoulder. Jenkins had stopped his demonstration last December. Defensive end Michael Bennett walked out of the tunnel during the anthem and walked toward the bench while it played. It appeared all the Steelers stood. "Everybody is waiting for what the league is going to do," Jenkins said. "We won't let it stop what we stand for. I was very encouraged last year with the direction and that obviously took a different turn. "I think it's important to utilize the platform as we can because for whatever reason, we have framed this demonstration in a negative light, and often players have to defend why we feel the need to fight for everyday Americans, and in actuality we're doing the right thing." At Miami, Dolphins receivers Kenny Stills and Albert Wilson and defensive end Robert Quinn protested during the anthem. Stills and Wilson kneeled behind teammates lined up standing along the sideline. Quinn stood and raised his right fist. There were no apparent protests by the Buccaneers. Stills kneeled during the anthem during the 2016-17 seasons and has been vocal discussing social injustice issues that inspired the protest movement by NFL players. Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, a leader of the movement, tweeted support for Stills and Wilson. "My brother @kstills continued his protest of systemic oppression tonight by taking a knee," the tweet said. "Albert Wilson joined him in protest. Stay strong brothers!" And in Seattle, three Seahawks players ran into the tunnel leading to the team's locker room prior to the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner." Defensive linemen Branden Jackson and Quinton Jefferson, and offensive lineman Duane Brown left the field following team introductions and before the start of the anthem. They returned to the sideline immediately after it concluded. All three were among a group of Seattle players that sat during the anthem last season. In Jacksonville, four Jaguars remained in the locker room during the national anthem, and team officials said it would be up to the players to explain why they weren't on the field. Cornerback Jalen Ramsey, linebacker Telvin Smith, and running backs Leonard Fournette and T.J. Yeldon joined teammates on the sideline after the anthem. "As a man, I got certain beliefs," said Smith, who wore "Salute the Service" cleats. "You know what I mean? This is not going to become a distraction, and Jacksonville's not going to become a distraction for this team. I got beliefs. I did what I did. I don't know if it's going to be every week, can't answer if it's going to be every week. "But as a man I've got to stand for something. I love my team, I'm dedicated to my teammates, and that's what we're talking about. I did what I did. It was love. I hope people see it and respect it. I respect views." At Baltimore, both teams stood, but while most of the Ravens lined up shoulder to shoulder on the sideline, second-year linebacker Tim Williams stood alone in front of the bench with his back toward the field. All of the players on each team at New England appeared to stand for the national anthem, some bowing their heads and others placing their hands on their hearts. The Patriots observed a moment of silence beforehand for Weymouth, Massachusetts, police officer Michael Chesna, who was killed last month in the line of duty. The league and the players' union have yet to announce a policy for this season regarding demonstrations during the anthem after the league initially ordered everyone to stand on the sideline when "The Star-Spangled Banner" is played, or remain in the locker room. "The NFL has been engaged in constructive discussions with the NFL Players Association regarding the anthem and issues of equality and social justice that are of concern to many Americans," league spokesman Brian McCarthy said in an email. "While those discussions continue, the NFL has agreed to delay implementing or enforcing any club work rules that could result in players being disciplined for their conduct during the performance of the anthem. "Meanwhile, there has been no change in the NFL's policy regarding the national anthem. The anthem will continue to be played before every game, and all player and non-player personnel on the field at that time are expected to stand during the presentation of the flag and performance of the anthem. Personnel who do not wish to do so can choose to remain in the locker room. "We remain committed to working with the players to identify solutions and to continue making progress on important social issues affecting our communities."  .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 10th, 2018

CA stops nullifies order for PLDT to regularize at least 7,000 workers

The Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) has managed to get relief from the Court of Appeals, which nullified an order from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) for the company to regularize 7, 344 workers that it hired from third-party contractors. In its ruling. dated July 31, 2018, but made public only onMonday, the appeals court's 10th Division, through Associate Justice Edwin Sorongon, nullified the resolution issued by DOLE last January requiring PLDT to regularize workers involved in the following: business process outsourcing (BPO) services information technology (IT) services IT support services and applications development janitorial, mess...Keep on reading: CA stops nullifies order for PLDT to regularize at least 7,000 workers.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 6th, 2018

Con-Com s proposed 4 high courts bad for justice system

MANILA, Philippines – The creation of 3 high courts aside from a Federal Supreme Court wil lead to the "impoverishment of the judicial process," said former Supreme Court associate justice Vicente Mendoza. Mendoza was speaking at a forum about the Consultative Committee's draft federal constitution on Thursday, August 1 in ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 2nd, 2018

Judicial delays: cost and causes

The constitutional right to due process has always been foundational for the Philippines. Yet an unfortunately resignedly accepted aspect thereof is the delay with which justice is dispatched. Surely, “justice delayed is justice denied” but other consequences -- particularly on the economy -- also prevail......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJul 12th, 2018

Injust-tiis system

In an effort to better understand why the Philippine Justice system is such a mess and so slow, we dedicated an entire week of AGENDA to interviewing the key stakeholders involved in the process and the system......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 5th, 2018

PH eyes shorter visa on arrival process for Chinese travelers

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippines is eyeing a shorter processing time for visas issued on arrival to Chinese travelers. Department of Tourism (DOT) Spokesperson Bong Bengzon bared the plan to members of the Hotel, Sales, and Marketing Association on Thursday, July 5. "DOJ (Department of Justice) Secretary Menardo Guevarra had agreed to explore ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 5th, 2018

Rebuild, strengthen High Court

“Noynoy named Sereno in place of Corona, thus leapfrogging senior SC justices in a move that many considered was motivated by political and self preservation..” The start of the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) process in choosing nominees for the next Chief Justice should also signal the removal of the aberration created in the judiciary […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJun 27th, 2018

JBC starts application process for next chief justice

In a statement sent through the Supreme Court Public Information Office, the JBC said that it has opened the application for chief justice. The deadline for filing and completing all requirements is on July 26, 2018......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 25th, 2018

JBC kicks off CJ search next week

JUSTICE Secretary Menardo Guevarra yesterday said that the Judicial and Bar Council is set to convene next week to start the selection process for the next chief justice. “The JBC en banc will meet on Monday and will surely take this up. It is expected that the JBC will direct….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsJun 22nd, 2018