Advertisements


Suspended Daraga mayor allowed to post bail

Suspended Daraga Mayor Carlwyn Baldo has been allowed to post bail in connection with the charges he is facing for illegal possession of firearms and explosives......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarFeb 12th, 2019

Daraga Mayor Carlwyn Baldo returns to work

Mayor Carlwyn Baldo of Daraga, Albay, who was suspended following his arrest for illegal possession of firearms and explosives last month, reassumed his post yesterday after posting bail......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 13th, 2019

Suspended Daraga mayor Carlwyn Baldo files bail petition

A motion to post bail filed by the lawyers of suspended Daraga Mayor Carlwyn Baldo has been raffled to the sala of Regional Trial Court Branch 10 Judge Maria Theresa Loquillano......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 6th, 2019

Court grants Daraga Mayor Baldo temporary liberty

LEGAZPI CITY --- Daraga Mayor Carlwyn "Awin" Baldo, who has a pending case for illegal possession of firearms and explosives, was granted bail Tuesday by the Regional Trial Court Branch 10 in this city. Senior Supt. Arnold Ardiente, director of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group in the Bicol region, said Baldo was asked to post a bail of P3 million in cash or P4 million in property bond for his temporary freedom. Baldo was arrested on January 22 and was brought to the hospital the next day because of high blood pressure and asthma attack after inhaling "katol" (mosquito coil repellent) inside the cell. READ: CIDG arrests Daraga mayor for illegal possession of firearm...Keep on reading: Court grants Daraga Mayor Baldo temporary liberty.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 12th, 2019

DILG wants Daraga Mayor Baldo suspended over Batocabe slay

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) wants Daraga Mayor Carlwyn Baldo suspended from his post after he was tagged as the "mastermind" in the killing of AKO Bicol Representative Rodel Batocabe . DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said in a Camarines Sur press ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 4th, 2019

JUSTICE! Eight years after ‘Maguindanao massacre,’ justice still elusive for families of victims

COTABATO CITY – Families of 58 people brutally killed in Maguindanao province continue to cry for justice eight years after 200 gunmen, believed to be followers of the Ampatuan clan, massacred the victims, 32 of them media workers.  The massacre occurred in the village of Salman in Ampatuan town on November 23, 2009 while supporters and family members of Esmael “Toto” Mangudadatu were heading to the office of the Commission on Elections to file his candidacy for governor of Maguindanao and challenging Governor Andal Ampatuan, Sr. who was the patriarch of a clan that long held power in the province.  Mangudadatu invited journalists to cover the event and also to protect his group against alleged threats by the Ampatuans. Mangudadatu himself did not go with the convoy for fear that he would be ambushed and instead sent his wife and sisters and supporters to represent him.  True enough, a large group of armed men, many of them militias and policemen, taking orders from the alleged mastermind, Andal, flagged down the convoy on the highway of Shariff Aguak town, the clan’s stronghold, and held all in the group at gunpoint and brought the victims to a remote location in Ampatuan town and raked them all with automatic weapons. Andal’s son and namesake, Andal, Jr., then mayor of Datu Unsay town, and another son, Zaldy Ampatuan, then the regional governor, and several other clan members along with dozens more are now in jail after being implicated in the massacre. The accused have all denied the charges against them. And many witnesses to the gruesome crime had been killed while others were allegedly bribed to prevent them from testifying. The slow progress of the cases is also putting a stress – both psychologically and spiritually – to the families of those who perished in the massacre.  Murders Media watchdog National Union of Journalists of the Philippines said justice remains as elusive as it was 8 years ago and that journalists continue to be murdered with impunity with 178 murdered since 1986 – the last five killed in the year and a half since President Rodrigo Duterte took office.  It said of the 198 massacre suspects, only 115 have been arrested and 112 have been arraigned and that four had died in the course of the proceedings, including primary suspect Andal Sr.  Out of the 112, NUJP said 70 were allowed by the court to post bail, including Andal Sr.’s youngest son, Sajid Islam, who was freed in 2015 after posting P11.6-million bail. This number also included 17 police officers who were allowed by the court to post bail because of weak evidence.  As of July 11, 2017, it said 102 of the accused remain in detention, including main suspects Andal Jr.; Zaldy and also Chief Inspector Sukarno Dicay, then the police chief of the 15th Regional Mobile Group that was conducting the checkpoint when the convoy was stopped by gunmen.  “We have been informed that with only three more principal accused in the massacre trial still to present their witnesses, it would be reasonable to hope for a resolution by next year. We do hope so and pray it will be a triumph for justice. However, the numbers do not offer too much reason for optimism.”  “But as we have pointed out before, notwithstanding its shocking magnitude, the Ampatuan massacre was not an aberration but an inevitable result of the rotten system of governance that afflicts our country. It is a governance of expediency by which all presidents, bar none, court the loyalty of the warlords, crime lords and corrupt clans who infest Philippine politics and rule their bailiwicks like fiefdoms, because this is the only way they can rule effectively,” NUJP said.  Impunity Lawyer Jose Begil Jr, of the Union of Peoples’ Lawyers in Mindanao, said the massacre could potentially go down in history as one of the most long-drawn high profile cases, despite the Justice Department’s declaration that the case is now on its tail end.  He recalled that the late Senator Joker Arroyo had predicted that the trial could take 200 years with nearly 200 defendants and 300 witnesses. “Additionally, prosecution witnesses have either been killed under questionable circumstances, are missing, or were intimidated,” Begil said. “Eight years have passed, justice is nowhere in sight,” Begil said, adding, the culture of impunity, still pervades the Duterte government.  “The Arroyo government was responsible for this impunity against journalists, lawyers, and other human rights defenders. The Aquino government failed to deliver on its promise to attain justice for the victims. And now, the Duterte government has simply expanded this culture of impunity, this time not only against journalists but to drug offenders, and more viciously against human rights activists,” Begil said.  Letter to Pope In 2014, family members of journalists who perished in the massacre had written a letter addressed to Pope Francis and read by Grace Morales during the 5th commemoration of the killings in Ampatuan town.  Grace is the widow of Rosell Morales and sister of Marites Cablitas, circulation manager and publisher of News Focus, who was among those killed.  The letter reads: “Kami ay mga asawa, anak, magulang at kapatid ng mga pinaslang sa bayan ng Ampatuan, Maguindanao noong ika -23 ng Nobyembre 2009. Ang aming mga mahal sa buhay ay kasama sa masaker kung saan 58 ang nasawi kabilang ang 32 mamahayag.  Taun-taon ay bumabalik kami rito sa […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsNov 25th, 2017

Baldo can return as Daraga mayor after posting bail--DILG

Baldo can return as Daraga mayor after posting bail--DILG.....»»

Category: newsSource:  bicolstandardRelated NewsFeb 14th, 2019

Ressa should have been allowed to post bail, says former journo Manicad

Like any other accused, Rappler CEO Maria Ressa should have been treated fairly, former broadcast journalist and senatorial aspirant Jiggy Manicad said Thursday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 14th, 2019

Mayor linked to solon’s slay freed on bail

  LEGAZPI CITY --- A mayor suspected of plotting the murder of Ako Bicol Rep. Rodel Batocabe in December last year walked out of his detention cell on Wednesday after posting P3-million bail on charges of illegal possession of firearms and explosives.   Mayor Carlwyn "Awin" Baldo of Daraga town in Albay province was arrested by Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) officers, who raided his house in Barangay Tagas, Daraga, on Jan. 22.   The next day, Baldo was taken to the University of Santo Tomas Hospital here when he suffered an asthma attack and hypertension while in CIDG custody. He was brought back to the Legazpi police station for deten...Keep on reading: Mayor linked to solon’s slay freed on bail.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 14th, 2019

Court grants bail to Daraga Mayor Carlwyn Baldo

LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – A Legazpi City court on Tuesday, February 12, granted bail to Daraga Mayor Carlywn  Baldo . Legazpi City Regional Trial Court Branch 10 Presiding Judge Theresa G. San Juan Loquillano granted Baldo’s motion for bail Tuesday afternoon. Baldo, the alleged mastermind behind the killing of ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsFeb 12th, 2019

Daraga mayor back in PNP’s Legazpi jail

LEGAZPI CITY: Daraga Mayor Carlwyn Baldo was brought back to the Legazpi City detention cell on Monday night by officials of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) after almost…READ The post Daraga mayor back in PNP’s Legazpi jail appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsFeb 5th, 2019

Suspended Daraga Mayor Carlwyn Baldo back in jail

Tension gripped the UST Hospital in Legazpi City, Albay yesterday as suspended Mayor Carlwyn Baldo of Daraga, Albay and his supporters refused to leave the hospital......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 4th, 2019

Batocabe’s widow to seek Daraga mayoral post

LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines - Gertrudes "Gertie" Batocabe, widow of slain Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Rodel Batocabe, announced on Friday that she will substitute as National Unity Party's candidate for Daraga, albay mayor in the May midterm elections. The announcement was made a day after a meeting with President Duterte at Malacaang and forty-two days after her husband and his police escort SPO2 Orlando Diaz were slain by gunmen while leaving a gift-giving activity in Daraga. "As early as the moment my father died, people were already clamuring for my mother to pick up the fight," said lawyerJustin Batocabe, son of the slain lawmaker. "Even when the President visited ... during ou...Keep on reading: Batocabe’s widow to seek Daraga mayoral post.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 1st, 2019

Daraga acting mayor assumes post

Vice Mayor Victor Perete of Daraga, Albay started his work yesterday as acting mayor, replacing Mayor Carlwyn Baldo......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 28th, 2019

Daraga acting mayor assumes post

Vice Mayor Victor Perete of Daraga, Albay started his work yesterday as acting mayor, replacing Mayor Carlwyn Baldo......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 28th, 2019

Mayor Baldo rushed to hospital due to asthma attack, high blood pressure

DARAGA, Albay mayor Carlwyn Baldo was rushed to the hospital after experiencing an asthma attack and high blood pressure, hours after he was arrested by police late Tuesday afternoon. Senior…READ The post Mayor Baldo rushed to hospital due to asthma attack, high blood pressure appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 23rd, 2019

EXTENDED DINAGYANG PARTY’: Mayor temporarily suspends 2 a.m. curfew for nightspots

By: Emme Rose Santiagudo ALL bars, resto bars, nightclubs, and other similar establishments in Iloilo City can operate beyond the 2 a.m. curfew to cater to Dinagyang spectators and partygoers. This, after Mayor Jose Espinosa III temporarily suspended Executive Order (EO) 146, series of 2017 directing the mandatory closure at 2 a.m. of all nightspots in […] The post EXTENDED DINAGYANG PARTY’: Mayor temporarily suspends 2 a.m. curfew for nightspots appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsJan 21st, 2019

LOOK: PNP releases mugshots of 6 Batocabe slay suspects

    MANILA, Philippines --- The Bicol Region police released on Monday the mugshots of the six suspects in the murder of Ako Bicol Rep. Rodel Batocabe and his police escort SPO2 Orlando Diaz. The Philippine National Police (PNP) said testimonies of the suspects have pointed to Daraga Mayor Carlwyn Baldo as the brains behind the killing. Police said the suspects were all confidential staff of the Office of the Municipal Mayor of Daraga, Albay under fictitious names and were receiving P7,000 a month. READ: PNP: Daraga mayor is Batocabe slay 'mastermind' Baldo, meanwhile, has denied plotting the murder of Batocabe, who was challenging him in the mayoral post ...Keep on reading: LOOK: PNP releases mugshots of 6 Batocabe slay suspects.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 8th, 2019

CIDG: ‘Carlwyn Baldo also planned to kill former mayor’

Aside from allegedly ordering the murder of Ako Bicol party-list representative Rodel Batocabe last month in Daraga, Albay, Carlwyn Baldo when he was vice mayor also wanted to kill mayor Gerry Jaucian in May last year so he could assume the top post in the town, an intelligence officer claimed yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 7th, 2019

PNP confident of strong case vs Daraga mayor, 6 others | The Manila Times Online

THE Philippine National Police (PNP) is confident of a strong case against Mayor Carlwyn Baldo of Daraga, Albay, as five out of six suspects who surrendered to police have pointedREAD The post PNP con.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJan 6th, 2019

Case vs Baldo strong - PNP | The Manila Times Online

The Philippine National Police (PNP) is confident that it has a strong case against Daraga, Albay Mayor Carlwyn Baldo, who has been tagged as the mastermind in the killing ofREAD The post Case vs Bald.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJan 6th, 2019