Advertisements


Speedy resolution of cases as DENR hires environment lawyers

THE Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR-6) vowed to expedite the resolution of cases at the local level as more lawyers joined its legal team. Fifteen environmental lawyers, some of whom were hired since 2017, are now distributed to different Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Offices (PENROs) and Community Environment and Natural Resources Offices […] The post Speedy resolution of cases as DENR hires environment lawyers appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource: thedailyguardian thedailyguardianJan 12th, 2018

Decision on cases of 27 mining firms out in early July

Mines that were ordered closed and suspended by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) over a year ago can expect a decision on their cases by the first week of July, according.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJun 24th, 2018

Slain DENR exec probing ‘several’ forest land cases

SAN PEDRO CITY - The slain employee of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) in Rizal province was in charge of investigating several forest land disputes in the province, the provincial environmental officer said. Dominador Lucas, head of the Compliance Monitoring and Investigation Unit of DENR-Rizal, was gunned down at 8:25 a.m. in Barangay (village) Dela Paz in Antipolo City, according to Supt. Chitadel Gaoiran, spokesperson of the Calabarzon police. Lucas was waiting for a ride to go to work at the DENR office in Taytay, when a motorycle-riding gunman approached and shot him in his face and body. He died instantly. In a phone interview, DENR Rizal chief ...Keep on reading: Slain DENR exec probing ‘several’ forest land cases.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 8th, 2018

JUSTICE! Eight years after ‘Maguindanao massacre,’ justice still elusive for families of victims

COTABATO CITY – Families of 58 people brutally killed in Maguindanao province continue to cry for justice eight years after 200 gunmen, believed to be followers of the Ampatuan clan, massacred the victims, 32 of them media workers.  The massacre occurred in the village of Salman in Ampatuan town on November 23, 2009 while supporters and family members of Esmael “Toto” Mangudadatu were heading to the office of the Commission on Elections to file his candidacy for governor of Maguindanao and challenging Governor Andal Ampatuan, Sr. who was the patriarch of a clan that long held power in the province.  Mangudadatu invited journalists to cover the event and also to protect his group against alleged threats by the Ampatuans. Mangudadatu himself did not go with the convoy for fear that he would be ambushed and instead sent his wife and sisters and supporters to represent him.  True enough, a large group of armed men, many of them militias and policemen, taking orders from the alleged mastermind, Andal, flagged down the convoy on the highway of Shariff Aguak town, the clan’s stronghold, and held all in the group at gunpoint and brought the victims to a remote location in Ampatuan town and raked them all with automatic weapons. Andal’s son and namesake, Andal, Jr., then mayor of Datu Unsay town, and another son, Zaldy Ampatuan, then the regional governor, and several other clan members along with dozens more are now in jail after being implicated in the massacre. The accused have all denied the charges against them. And many witnesses to the gruesome crime had been killed while others were allegedly bribed to prevent them from testifying. The slow progress of the cases is also putting a stress – both psychologically and spiritually – to the families of those who perished in the massacre.  Murders Media watchdog National Union of Journalists of the Philippines said justice remains as elusive as it was 8 years ago and that journalists continue to be murdered with impunity with 178 murdered since 1986 – the last five killed in the year and a half since President Rodrigo Duterte took office.  It said of the 198 massacre suspects, only 115 have been arrested and 112 have been arraigned and that four had died in the course of the proceedings, including primary suspect Andal Sr.  Out of the 112, NUJP said 70 were allowed by the court to post bail, including Andal Sr.’s youngest son, Sajid Islam, who was freed in 2015 after posting P11.6-million bail. This number also included 17 police officers who were allowed by the court to post bail because of weak evidence.  As of July 11, 2017, it said 102 of the accused remain in detention, including main suspects Andal Jr.; Zaldy and also Chief Inspector Sukarno Dicay, then the police chief of the 15th Regional Mobile Group that was conducting the checkpoint when the convoy was stopped by gunmen.  “We have been informed that with only three more principal accused in the massacre trial still to present their witnesses, it would be reasonable to hope for a resolution by next year. We do hope so and pray it will be a triumph for justice. However, the numbers do not offer too much reason for optimism.”  “But as we have pointed out before, notwithstanding its shocking magnitude, the Ampatuan massacre was not an aberration but an inevitable result of the rotten system of governance that afflicts our country. It is a governance of expediency by which all presidents, bar none, court the loyalty of the warlords, crime lords and corrupt clans who infest Philippine politics and rule their bailiwicks like fiefdoms, because this is the only way they can rule effectively,” NUJP said.  Impunity Lawyer Jose Begil Jr, of the Union of Peoples’ Lawyers in Mindanao, said the massacre could potentially go down in history as one of the most long-drawn high profile cases, despite the Justice Department’s declaration that the case is now on its tail end.  He recalled that the late Senator Joker Arroyo had predicted that the trial could take 200 years with nearly 200 defendants and 300 witnesses. “Additionally, prosecution witnesses have either been killed under questionable circumstances, are missing, or were intimidated,” Begil said. “Eight years have passed, justice is nowhere in sight,” Begil said, adding, the culture of impunity, still pervades the Duterte government.  “The Arroyo government was responsible for this impunity against journalists, lawyers, and other human rights defenders. The Aquino government failed to deliver on its promise to attain justice for the victims. And now, the Duterte government has simply expanded this culture of impunity, this time not only against journalists but to drug offenders, and more viciously against human rights activists,” Begil said.  Letter to Pope In 2014, family members of journalists who perished in the massacre had written a letter addressed to Pope Francis and read by Grace Morales during the 5th commemoration of the killings in Ampatuan town.  Grace is the widow of Rosell Morales and sister of Marites Cablitas, circulation manager and publisher of News Focus, who was among those killed.  The letter reads: “Kami ay mga asawa, anak, magulang at kapatid ng mga pinaslang sa bayan ng Ampatuan, Maguindanao noong ika -23 ng Nobyembre 2009. Ang aming mga mahal sa buhay ay kasama sa masaker kung saan 58 ang nasawi kabilang ang 32 mamahayag.  Taun-taon ay bumabalik kami rito sa […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsNov 25th, 2017

DENR seeks more legal experts

MANILA, Philippines - The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) targets to hire more legal experts to strengthen and speed up the resolution.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 5th, 2017

Suspend NCIP, DENR exploration permits in ancestral lands

BAGUIO CITY — In its regular session held on July 3, the city council approved a resolution appealing to Pres. Rodrigo Duterte to suspend the issuance of certificates by National Commission on Indigenous People (NCIP) and Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) allowing operation of extractive industries and mineral explorations within ancestral lands......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsJul 9th, 2017

Duterte admin to zero in on media killings; Justice vowed

The Duterte administration is pushing for the speedy and fair resolution of cases involving the deaths of journalists, including the gruesome 2009 Maguindanao massacre. ........»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJul 17th, 2016

DENR Halts Quarry Operations After Landslide

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) halts all quarry operations in Regions I, III, IV-CALABARZON, V, VII, X, XI, XIII on September 21, 2018. After the landslide that happened in Naga City on September 20, DENR Mines and Geosciences Bureau ordered to suspend all quarry operations in the […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsSep 24th, 2018

100 villages in Capiz, prone to landslide

ROXAS CITY, Capiz – The Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources(DENR-MGB)-6 assessed that at least 100 villages in ten Capiz towns are at risk of landslides. Mae Magarzo, DENR-MGB geologist chief, said that these towns are Tapaz, Jamindan, Maayon, President Roxas, Pilar, Dumarao, Ivisan, Roxas City, Dumalag, and […] The post 100 villages in Capiz, prone to landslide appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsSep 24th, 2018

DENR Sec. Cimatu issues ban on small scale mining in Cordillera

LA TRINIDAD, Benguet — Thousands of families depending on small scale mining will have to look for other sources of livelihood because Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR)Secretary Roy Cimatu issued a ban on pocket mining in Cordillera last Septemver 17......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsSep 23rd, 2018

Cebu is 8th at risk

CEBU ranks eighth in the list of top 10 provinces in the country that are prone to landslide, according to the environment agency’s Geohazard Mapping and Assessment Program. The Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) released the list of landslide-prone provinces as early as 2011, pursuant to… link: Cebu is 8th at risk.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsSep 23rd, 2018

Shut down mining activities!

ENVIRONMENTAL GROUPS have asked the Department of Environment and Natural Resources or DENR to shut down mining firms being blamed […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsSep 22nd, 2018

DENR suspends quarry operations in 8 regions after Naga, Cebu landslide

MANILA, Philippines – Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu on Friday, September 21, suspended quarry operations in 8 regions pending their safety assessment. The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) said in a press statement that Cimatu announced this in a news briefing in Naga City, Cebu, where a ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 21st, 2018

DENR eyes safer Minahang Bayan sites after Itogon landslide

One of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources' long-term plans following the landslide in Itogon, Benguet is to establish "Minahang Bayan" sites in the area......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 20th, 2018

DENR eyes safer Minahang Bayan sites after Itogon landslide

One of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources’ long-term plans following the landslide in Itogon, Benguet is to establish “Minahang Bayan” sites in the area. Source link link: DENR eyes safer 'Minahang Bayan' sites after Itogon landslide.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsSep 20th, 2018

DENR, NIA consult JRMP II project affected families

THE Department of Environment and Natural Resources-Community ENR Office (DENR-CENRO) Barotac Nuevo participated in the consultative meeting conducted by the National Irrigation Administration (NIA) with residents of Brgy. Guinbunyugan, Calinog, Iloilo who will be affected by the Jalaur River Multi-Purpose Project Stage (JRMP)-II. JRMP aims to harness the potential of the Jalaur River for multi-purpose […] The post DENR, NIA consult JRMP II project affected families appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsSep 20th, 2018

DENR: Itogon landslide not caused by mining

MANILA, Philippines – Officials of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) insisted that the landslide in Itogon, Benguet , which has so far claimed 46 lives of the last count, was not caused by mining activities. “Yung landslide was not caused by mining kasi walang mining operation kung saan nanggaling yung ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 19th, 2018

Gov t to issue access cards for Boracay tourists

MANILA, Philippines – The government plans to give out access cards for those who wish to party or relax in the world-famous island of  Boracay . The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) said on Wednesday, September 19, that the cards would help monitor and control the number of ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 19th, 2018

DENR preparing to declare 2 CAR sites ‘Minahang Bayan’

TWO areas in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) may be declared “Minahang Bayan” for use by small-scale miners this year, out of 60 to 65 pending applications being considered by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The post DENR preparing to declare 2 CAR sites ‘Minahang Bayan’ appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsSep 19th, 2018

Time to Take Second Serious Look on Mining: PRRD

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday said it is time for the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) to take a second serious look on the mining practices in the country. Duterte made the remark in the wake of a landslide that hit a mining site in Itogon that left 34 people and 42 missing […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsSep 18th, 2018

DENR suspends small-scale mining in Cordillera

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources yesterday ordered the suspension of all small-scale mining operations in the Cordillera Administrative Region in the wake of typhoon-induced landslides that left dozens of people dead......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 17th, 2018