Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Mass demonstration, protests in Hong Kong worry OFWs families

FAMILIES OF FILIPINOS working in Hong Kong have expressed concern over the safety of the workers following massive street protests […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsJun 14th, 2019

Workers’ group may set aside wage hike for end to contractualization

A workers’ group is willing to set aside its wage increase demand if employers would regularize workers and comply with the occupational safety and health standards. “We are willing to…READ The post Workers’ group may set aside wage hike for end to contractualization appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMay 1st, 2019

Briton falls to death at 2022 Qatar World Cup stadium site

ROB HARRIS, AP Global Soccer Writer A British man fell to his death this week at a World Cup stadium building site in Qatar, where construction conditions have come under sharp scrutiny since the country was awarded the 2022 soccer tournament. The 40-year-old man has not been named by World Cup organizers or the company overseeing the building of the Khalifa International Stadium , which will also host the world track championships in 2019. The contractor, a joint venture between Belgian and Qatari firms, said it was still working with local authorities to establish the cause of Thursday's death. br /> 'The fatal accident took place while the worker was on a suspended catwalk platform designed to manage technical functions relating to sound and light installations,' Midmac-Six Construct said in a statement Friday. 'For unknown reasons one of the lever hoists supporting the platform failed, causing the fall of the worker, who was wearing all his safety equipment, including the safety harness. br /> 'Sadly, the harness was cut during the fall with a fatal outcome. What caused the cut is subject to further investigation.' br /> The stadium, which was first built on the site in 1976, is next to the Aspire sports academy and is described by organizers as 'Qatar's most historic stadium.' br /> 'All parties concerned will carefully review the circumstances of the accident and commit to take any necessary measures that can prevent its recurrence,' Midmac-Six Construct said. br /> Qatar's World Cup organizing committee is also investigating the incident and said it 'shares our deepest condolences with the family for their loss.' br /> Qatar has previously announced the death of four stadium workers, with one fatality the result of a work-related accident. br /> The focus of the scrutiny has been on Qatar's use of a low-paid, migrant workforce to build the sites for the first World Cup in the Middle East, but the organizers are also relying on expertise from Europeans to oversee projects. br /> FIFA, which awarded the World Cup to Qatar in a 2010 vote, said it 'deeply regrets the loss of life' at the stadium. br /> 'It is with great sadness that we send our sincere condolences to the victim's family and colleagues,' FIFA said in a statement. br />   .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 21st, 2017

Seahawks suffer yet another road divisional playoff loss

CHARLES ODUM, AP Sports Writer br /> ATLANTA (AP) — Another road divisional round playoff loss didn't shake Russell Wilson's confidence the Seahawks can win away from Seattle at this stage of the postseason. The list of road postseason losses is daunting, however. Seattle's 36-20 loss at Atlanta on Saturday marked the second straight year the Seahawks' season ended with a road divisional round playoff loss, following last year's loss at Carolina. The Seahawks had home-field advantage through the NFC playoffs while making two straight Super Bowl appearances in the 2013 and 2014 seasons. They lost road divisional playoff games in the 2012 and 2010 seasons, to Atlanta and Chicago, respectively. 'I don't think you have to be at home,' Wilson said. 'I think you just have to find a way to win.' Wilson said he was reminded of the loss five years ago in Atlanta when he was a rookie. He said all the success he and the Seahawks have experienced since that loss is a good reason to remain confident — even in road playoff games. 'I think back to 2012, I was young and I was a rookie and I was being put in a position to play and a lot of people told me I couldn't do it,' Wilson said. 'Now for me I think about how far I've come, winning a Super Bowl, winning multiple playoff games, winning as many games as we have. Why would I doubt anything else when I think about what's ahead?' The Seahawks might have pulled off Saturday's road win over the Falcons if not for two key plays. Seattle appeared to be in excellent position to extend a 10-7 lead when Devin Hester returned a punt 80 yards to the Atlanta 7. Instead, a costly holding call against Kevin Pierre-Louis pushed the Seahawks all the way back to the Seattle 7. Cheap flag? Nope. Pierre-Louis conceded 'I was holding' on Atlanta's LaRoy Reynolds. 'I grabbed him a little bit so he wouldn't get down to Hester,' Pierre-Louis said. 'But the referee was able to see it. It cost us.' Two plays later, Wilson was tripped by backup right guard Rees Odhiambo and fell in the end zone for a safety. Hester, who played for the Falcons in 2014-15, said the play 'kind of put a dent in the momentum.' If so, it was a huge dent. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll called the penalty 'a huge turnaround. Just as obvious as you can get, a 70-something yard penalty was just ridiculously large play in the game.' Carroll said the safety 'wasn't the worst thing that happened.' The Falcons seized momentum, however, and scored 10 points on their next two drives to lead 19-10 at halftime. Wilson said the punt return wasn't the only game-changing play. His 58-yard completion to Paul Richardson to the Atlanta 22 with less than 3 minutes remaining was ruled no catch on a review. 'We believe if we had hit that, we score on the next play and the game is real close,' Wilson said. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 15th, 2017

Liverpool's pursuit of Chelsea frustrated; Man City and United win

ROB HARRIS, AP Global Soccer Writer br /> LONDON (AP) — Liverpool's pursuit of English Premier League leader Chelsea stalled on Monday as Juergen Klopp's four-match winning run ended at Sunderland. Liverpool's 2-2 draw against a relegation-threatened Sunderland side gives Chelsea the platform to open up an eight-point lead by beating Tottenham on Wednesday. Twice Liverpool led in northeast England — through Daniel Sturridge and Sadio Mane — but on both occasions Jermain Defoe scored penalties to draw Sunderland level. Mane's hand-ball was responsible for conceding the second spotkick. 'I must be honest, it doesn't feel good and it's not because of the point, it's because two penalties in a game,' Klopp said. 'Usually what you have to do to get a penalty, to get two, that was harsh, very hard to accept. 'But obviously I have to accept it, so I will do it.' ___ MAN CITY 2, BURNLEY 1 A victory for City but Pep Guardiola was still tetchy after the game, even suggesting he might not have long left in management. Halfway through his first season at City, the 45-year-old former Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach said: 'It might be one of my last teams.' English football is proving far tougher for Guardiola than Spanish or German. After losing at Liverpool on Saturday, City started badly against Burnley when captain Fernandinho was sent off in the 32nd minute for a two-footed lunge on Johann Gudmundsson. City held off Burnley with 10 men and seized the lead in the second half through Gael Clichy. Sergio Aguero came off the bench to score a second, ensuring Ben Mee's goal for Burnley would only be a consolation. City regained third place ahead of Arsenal, which is at Bournemouth on Tuesday, and Tottenham. ___ WEST HAM 0, MAN UNITED 2 United reeled off a sixth successive league victory in a match that turned on Sofiane Feghouli being harshly sent off for a late challenge on Phil Jones in the 15th minute. Even with a man advantage, United took until the 63rd to score when substitutes Marcus Rashford and Juan Mata combined. Mata turned Rashford's pullback past goalkeeper Darren Randolph before Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored his 17th goal in his first season with United. ___ EVERTON 3, SOUTHAMPTON 0 Everton scored three times in the last 17 minutes to ensure manager Ronald Koeman emerged victorious against the club he left in the offseason. Enner Valencia was the game-changer, coming off the bench to score the opener in the 73rd minute and then winning the penalty that Leighton Baines converted. Romelu Lukaku contributed the third as 10th-place Southampton lost a third match inside a week. Everton is seventh. ___ WEST BROM 3, HULL 1 Hull is now without a win in nine games and three points from safety after throwing away the lead at West Bromwich Albion. Robert Snodgrass' opener was canceled out by Chris Brunt before Gareth McAuley and James Morrison put the hosts in front. ___ MIDDLESBROUGH 0, LEICESTER 0 With Islam Slimani and Danny Drinkwater out injured and Jamie Vardy suspended, Leicester was satisfied with a point and a second successive clean sheet. It's all about avoiding a relegation dogfight for struggling champion Leicester, which is six points from danger. 'Middlesbrough pushed a lot but we were so solid and I am pleased with the spirit we showed,' Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri said. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2017

Liverpool's pursuit of Chelsea frustrated; Man City and United win

ROB HARRIS, AP Global Soccer Writer br /> LONDON (AP) — Liverpool's pursuit of English Premier League leader Chelsea stalled on Monday as Juergen Klopp's four-match winning run ended at Sunderland. Liverpool's 2-2 draw against a relegation-threatened Sunderland side gives Chelsea the platform to open up an eight-point lead by beating Tottenham on Wednesday. Twice Liverpool led in northeast England — through Daniel Sturridge and Sadio Mane — but on both occasions Jermain Defoe scored penalties to draw Sunderland level. Mane's hand-ball was responsible for conceding the second spotkick. 'I must be honest, it doesn't feel good and it's not because of the point, it's because two penalties in a game,' Klopp said. 'Usually what you have to do to get a penalty, to get two, that was harsh, very hard to accept. 'But obviously I have to accept it, so I will do it.' ___ MAN CITY 2, BURNLEY 1 A victory for City but Pep Guardiola was still tetchy after the game, even suggesting he might not have long left in management. Halfway through his first season at City, the 45-year-old former Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach said: 'It might be one of my last teams.' English football is proving far tougher for Guardiola than Spanish or German. After losing at Liverpool on Saturday, City started badly against Burnley when captain Fernandinho was sent off in the 32nd minute for a two-footed lunge on Johann Gudmundsson. City held off Burnley with 10 men and seized the lead in the second half through Gael Clichy. Sergio Aguero came off the bench to score a second, ensuring Ben Mee's goal for Burnley would only be a consolation. City regained third place ahead of Arsenal, which is at Bournemouth on Tuesday, and Tottenham. ___ WEST HAM 0, MAN UNITED 2 United reeled off a sixth successive league victory in a match that turned on Sofiane Feghouli being harshly sent off for a late challenge on Phil Jones in the 15th minute. Even with a man advantage, United took until the 63rd to score when substitutes Marcus Rashford and Juan Mata combined. Mata turned Rashford's pullback past goalkeeper Darren Randolph before Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored his 17th goal in his first season with United. ___ EVERTON 3, SOUTHAMPTON 0 Everton scored three times in the last 17 minutes to ensure manager Ronald Koeman emerged victorious against the club he left in the offseason. Enner Valencia was the game-changer, coming off the bench to score the opener in the 73rd minute and then winning the penalty that Leighton Baines converted. Romelu Lukaku contributed the third as 10th-place Southampton lost a third match inside a week. Everton is seventh. ___ WEST BROM 3, HULL 1 Hull is now without a win in nine games and three points from safety after throwing away the lead at West Bromwich Albion. Robert Snodgrass' opener was canceled out by Chris Brunt before Gareth McAuley and James Morrison put the hosts in front. ___ MIDDLESBROUGH 0, LEICESTER 0 With Islam Slimani and Danny Drinkwater out injured and Jamie Vardy suspended, Leicester was satisfied with a point and a second successive clean sheet. It's all about avoiding a relegation dogfight for struggling champion Leicester, which is six points from danger. 'Middlesbrough pushed a lot but we were so solid and I am pleased with the spirit we showed,' Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri said. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2017

Safety and health culture crucial for young workers in PH

Safety and health culture crucial for young workers in PH.....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsNov 18th, 2016
Category: newsSource:  manila_shimbunRelated NewsOct 18th, 2016

2 buses collide; 3 dead, 43 hurt

CAMP OLIVAS, Pampanga, Philippines – Three persons died and 43 others were injured when two buses transporting workers to the Hanjin shipyard collided along.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 13th, 2016

3 Hanjin workers die, 43 hurt in road accident

SUBIC, Zambales: Two buses ferrying workers to Hanjin shipyard here collided head-on early morning on Tuesday killing three, including the two drivers, and injuring 43 passengers. Chief Insp. Leonardo Madrid, Subic police chief, identified the fatalities .....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 13th, 2016

No disruption for Hanjin-Subic workers

Workers of Subic shipbuilder Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction-Philippines (HHIC-Phil) have been assured that their company is not affected by the problem besetting Hanjin Shipping Corporation......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsSep 9th, 2016

SBMA assures Hanjin workers

The Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority assured workers of Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines Inc. that the local unit of the Korean shipbuilder is not affected by the problem besetting transport company Hanjin Shipping Corp. Ltd......»»

Category: financeSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 8th, 2016

OBO told to ensure the safety of workers in construction sites

OBO told to ensure the safety of workers in construction sites.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 6th, 2016

DOLE tracks down OFWs affected by Hanjin Shipping bankruptcy

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said it is now tracking down overseas Filipino workers (OFW), who may be affected by the recent bankruptcy of a large shipping firm in South Korea......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsSep 6th, 2016

Pay hike in Negros pushed

Bacolod City – A labor group is pushing for an increase in the salary of workers in Negros Island Region. A petition for a pay increase was filed by the local chapter of Philippine Agricultural,.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 31st, 2016

PBA: NLEX shifts focus to Governors’ Cup after lost campaign

With the 2019 PBA Commissioner’s Cup a lost cause pretty much, NLEX is moving on. The Road Warriors have brought back import Olu Ashaolu early in preparation of the 2019 Governors’ Cup. NLEX is letting go of Tony Mitchell in the process. Head coach Yeng Guiao hinted at the change over the weekend and has pushed through with the plan this week. Olu of course, was the team’s workhorse import last season that was unfortunately sidelined with an injury. “Halos wala na yung chances for the playoffs,” Guiao said after his NLEX crew dropped to 1-7 after a loss to defending champion Ginebra in Batangas. “So we look forward to the next conference. Si Olu Ashaolu is our import for the conference, we might bring him in early and start our preparations early,” he added. Aside from Ashaolu, the Road Warriors still have help on the way in Kiefer Ravena. The Phenom should make his official PBA return in NLEX’s first game of the Governors’ Cup later this year. “Nakita ko naman na hindi siya nagpabaya sa katawan niya,” Guiao said of Kiefer. “He's going to be probably a little out of shape or off timing but my guess is it will take a short time for him to recover from where he left off noong na-suspend siya. Madali siyang makakabalik sa dating laro niya,” he added.   — Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated News3 hr. 11 min. ago

No wage hike for Metro Manila, Calabarzon workers

Minimum wage earners in Metro Manila and Calabarzon will not yet receive a salary increase......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated News8 hr. 24 min. ago

Bank creditors convert Hanjin exposure to equity

Philippine banks have converted part of their loan exposure to Hanjin Heavy Industries & Construction Philippines Inc. (HHIC-Phil) into shares in the shipbuilder’s parent company in South Korea, according to Rizal Commercial and Banking Corp. (RCBC)......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated News11 hr. 37 min. ago

RCBC exec denies Enrique Razon in talks for Hanjin takeover

MANILA, Philippines – Ports tycoon Enrique Razon told reporters last April that he is in talks with banks for the possible takeover of the shipyard of bankrupt Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines . However, an executive of one of the creditor banks said Razon was never involved in the talks......»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated News18 hr. 24 min. ago

GI as in Genuine Intsik illegal workers very much welcome sa NAIA T2

NAKAPAGTATAKA pa ba kung dagsa ang mga Chinese illegal workers sa bansa kung mismong ang nagpapapasok sa kanila ay isang opisyal na nakatalaga sa pangunahing paliparan ng bansa?! Kung hind pa ito nakararating sa kaalaman ng mga bossing diyan sa Bureau of Immigration Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) lalo na sa Terminal 2, dapat sigurong ........»»

Category: filipinoSource:  hatawtabloidRelated NewsJun 25th, 2019