Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Despite doping scandals, Russia could bid for 2028 Olympics

div>MOSCOW (AP) — Still mired in a doping scandal and with a track team banned from international competition, the president of the Russian Olympic Committee said his country may put forth a bid to host the 2028 Games. /div> div>  /div> div>Alexander Zhukov said Friday that Russia is considering three cities as candidates for a 2028 bid, even as it battles accusations of a mass doping cover-up at the Sochi Olympics three years ago. /div> div>  /div> div>'It's hard to say now, but why not? I think it's completely possible to try,' Zhukov told state news agency RIA Novosti. 'It's not just St. Petersburg, we also have Kazan which is a possibility. It's also possible in Sochi.' /div> div>  /div> div>Bidding for the 2024 Games is still under way, with a vote in September set to choose between Los Angeles, Paris and Budapest. The 2028 host is expected to be decided in 2021. /div> div>  /div> div>Russia hosted the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, spending about $51 billion on the games, but is under intense pressure following accusations of a massive doping cover-up at the games. World Anti-Doping Agency investigator Richard McLaren has said there is evidence that doping test samples given by 12 Russian medal winners at the games were tampered with. /div> div>  /div> div>The doping scandals also heavily depleted Russia's team for last year's Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Evidence of widespread doping meant the entire Russian weightlifting team was banned and only one of the 68-strong track and field team was allowed to compete. /div> div>  /div> div>Following McLaren's report last month, a group of 19 national anti-doping agencies on Tuesday called for Russian teams to be banned from all international sports competitions and for the country to be stripped of hosting major events, including the 2018 World Cup. National anti-doping agencies, however, do not have the powers to impose such sanctions. /div> div>  /div> div>Zhukov said the anti-doping agencies were 'creating a certain backdrop, putting pressure on the federations.' /div>.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 13th, 2017

Halt this new US-Russia series of retaliations

In the closing days of the Obama administration, the United States government announced sanctions against Russia’s leading intelligence agencies – the GRU, Russia’s military intelligence agency, and the FSB, successor of the old KGB. It closed down two Russian compounds – in New York and in Maryland. And it kicked out 35 Russian diplomats who, the US claimed, were actually intelligence operatives......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2017

US sanctions Russia

President Barack Obama on Thursday unleashed a barrage of retaliatory measures against Moscow for meddling in the US election, imposing sanctions on two intelligence agencies, expelling 35 agents and shuttering two Russian compounds inside the United Stat.....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsDec 30th, 2016

FIFA s Infantino: Necessary actions & sanctions on Russian doping

FIFA s Infantino: Necessary actions & sanctions on Russian doping.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 28th, 2016

EU says Russian assault on Aleppo may be war crime

The European Union on Monday strongly condemned Russia for the bombardment of the Syrian city of Aleppo, saying devastating air strikes by Moscow and Damascus could amount to war crimes......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 17th, 2016

Obama warns N. Korea of new sanctions after nuclear tests

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama Friday warned North Korea of new international sanctions after it conducted its fifth nuclear test, believed to be its most powerful ever, and made it clear that the US will never accept Pyongyang as a "nuclear state"......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsSep 10th, 2016

Obama warns of new sanctions after N. Korea nuclear test

President Barack Obama vowed Friday to push for new international sanctions in retaliation for the "grave threat" posed by North Korea's latest nuclear test......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsSep 9th, 2016

UN vows new sanctions vs NKorea

UNITED NATIONS, United States: The UN Security Council on Friday strongly condemned North Korea for test-firing ballistic missiles and agreed to take “significant measures” in response the latest series of launches. The 15-member council issue.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsAug 27th, 2016

Kremlin hopes for rapport with US, but differences will stay

MOSCOW — Russian President Vladimir Putin's spokesman voiced hope for a constructive dialogue with President Donald Trump's administration in comments broadc.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 21st, 2017

Konta wipes out Wozniacki to set up Russian rematch

Konta wipes out Wozniacki to set up Russian rematch.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 21st, 2017

Russian political elites revel in Trump s inauguration

MOSCOW — Russian officials and lawmakers lauded Donald Trump's inauguration yesterday, hoping it will herald a period of better ties with the United States,.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

UEFA president says travel tricky for fans at Euro 2020

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia (AP) — Soccer fans will face 'a challenge' when traveling between games at the continent-wide 2020 European Championship, UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin said Thursday. The tournament will be held in 13 cities across Europe to mark its 60th anniversary, ranging from the Irish capital of Dublin in the west to the Azerbaijani city of Baku in the east. 'Of course it's a challenge if fans have to travel thousands and thousands and thousands of kilometers across Europe,' Ceferin said at a ceremony in the Russian host city of St. Petersburg. 'It can be very interesting but it can be a big challenge even for a big organization such as UEFA. I think everything will be fine, I'm sure.' UEFA will pair cities for the group stage to try to reduce travel distances for fans, though the exact system won't be revealed until later. Having 13 host countries also means everyone has to go through qualifying. In the past, hosts qualified automatically, even when the tournament was held in two countries at once, such as Poland and Ukraine in 2012. Ceferin also said he was dedicated to ensuring Europe would receive more qualifying spots when FIFA expands the World Cup to 48 teams from 2026, up from its current allocation of 13. 'We will fight for as much possible,' he said. 'The best quality of football in the world is in Europe.' .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017

Trump steps into security bubble; will he bring his phone?

WASHINGTON — A few hours after President-elect Donald Trump was briefed by intelligence officials about Russian meddling in the election, an Associated Press.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017

China’s richest man warns Trump against trade war

China’s richest man warns Trump against trade war.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017

Labor & Management: Think tank warns of risks of raising minimum wage

HIGHER across-the-board wages run the risk of limiting the employment prospects of less experienced workers and women, according to a paper published by the Philippine Institute for Development Studies (PIDS)......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017

Obama warns Trump, tells supporters 'we'll be okay'

Obama warns Trump, tells supporters 'we'll be okay'.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017

U.S. commander warns of more ISIS attacks in Asia-Pacific

U.S. commander warns of more ISIS attacks in Asia-Pacific.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017

Russian Chinakov topples Filipino Corteza for Molinari Players 8-ball crown

Russian Chinakov topples Filipino Corteza for Molinari Players 8-ball crown.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017

Raonic continues streak by reaching 3rd round in Australia

JOHN PYE, AP Sports Writer br /> MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Third-seeded Milos Raonic ended one streak and continued another with a 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 (4) Thursday over Gilles Muller to reach the third round at the Australian Open. Raonic, who reached the semifinals here last year and the final at Wimbledon, had lost both previous matches to Muller — including one when he retired with an injured hip in the second round at Wimbledon in 2012. His win Thursday maintained Raonic's record of reaching the third round at least all seven years he has contested the Australian Open. The 33-year-old Muller entered the season's first major after capturing his first tour-level title in Sydney last week. Raonic was unable to defend his Brisbane title in the first week of the season, but is finding rhythm quickly in Melbourne — he fired 21 aces, hit 56 winners and only had 15 unforced errors against Muller. He left the court complaining of a sore throat, and will get a day off before his next match against No. 25 Gilles Simon. No. 15 Grigor Dimitrov, who beat Raonic in the semifinals before winning the Brisbane International earlier this month, moved into the third round with a 1-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 win over Chung Hye-on. Dimitrov will next play No. 18 Richard Gasquet. No. 32 Philipp Kohlschreiber beat Donald Young 7-5, 6-3, 6-0. David Ferrer, the former world No. 3 who has only missed the quarterfinals once in the previous six years at Melbourne Park, recovered to beat U.S. qualifier Ernesto Escobedo 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 and set up a third-round match against fellow Spaniard and No. 13-seeded Roberto Bautista Agut. No. 30 Pablo Carreno Busta had a 6-2, 6-4, 6-2 win over Kyle Edmund to move into a third-round match against either six-time Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic or Denis Istomin. U.S. Open finalist Karolina Pliskova and No. 9 Johanna Konta carried their winning form from warmup tournaments into the third round of the season's first major. Brisbane International winner Pliskova beat Anna Blinkova 6-0, 6-2 in 59 minutes, and has dropped just four games en route to the third round. She was leading 6-0, 4-0 in the opening match on Rod Laver Arena before the 18-year-old Russian qualifier, ranked 189th, held serve and later held up her arm to acknowledge the cheers from the crowd. 'It's always good to be in the zone,' said fifth-seeded Pliskova. 'It can always be a bit better.' 'I'm feeling pretty good on the court, confident,' she said. 'Also, people are talking I have a good chance to win a Grand Slam, but we are just in third round, so let's see.' She will next play Jelena Ostapenko, who beat No. 31 Yulia Putintseva 6-3, 6-1. Sydney International winner Konta, who made a surprising run to the semifinals in her debut Australian Open last year, advanced 6-4, 6-2 over Naomi Osaka. Konta, voted the WTA Tour's most improved player of 2016 after moving from 48th to 10th in the rankings, will next play former No. 1-ranked Caroline Wozniacki. WTA Finals winner Dominika Cibulkova held off Hsieh Su-wei 6-4, 7-6 (8) and will next play No. 30 Ekaterina Makarova, who was leading 6-2, 3-2 when Sara Errani retired because of a leg injury. No. 14 Elena Vesnina advanced to a third-round encounter against U.S. qualifier Jennifer Brady, who saved five match points before beating Heather Watson 2-6, 7-6 (3), 10-8. Andy Murray returned to the practice court for an afternoon hitting session under the scrutiny of coach Ivan Lendl, allaying concerns about his injured right ankle. Top-ranked Murray, a five-time runner-up at Melbourne Park, twisted his ankle and tumbled to the court during the third set of his otherwise routine second-round win on Wednesday night. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017

Obama warns Trump, tells supporters we ll be okay

Obama warns Trump, tells supporters we ll be okay.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017