Advertisements


Roderick Paulate to stand trial for graft, falsification of public documents

Actor and Quezon City Councilor Roderick Paulate will stand trial before the Sandiganbayan for graft and falsification of public documents. The Sandiganbayan denied his motion to dismiss charges filed against him for violation of the Anti-graft and Corrupt Practices Act section 3(e) and for falsification of public documents. The politician was previously indicted for allegedly hiring 30 ghost employees and for directing his chief of staff to use bogus job orders and salary records from July to November 15, 2010. In its ruling, the Sandiganbayan's 7th division said Paulate's motion lacks merit.--- Carol Balita/INQUIRER.net intern /ee READ: QC Councilor Paulate, aide charged ov...Keep on reading: Roderick Paulate to stand trial for graft, falsification of public documents.....»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerJul 16th, 2018

Ex-Zamboanga accountant gets 23 years in jail over fake receipts

MANILA, Philippines – Former Zamboanga City accountant Sylvia Binarao was sentenced to 23 years in jail for falsifying receipts for her lodging in various official trips.  The Sandiganbayan Third Division found Binarao guilty of two counts each of graft, malversation of public funds, and falsification of public documents. ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 23rd, 2018

Sandigan won’t suspend Andaya over gas fund scam

The Sandiganbayan won’t issue a suspension order against House Majority Leader Rolando Andaya Jr. of Camarines Sur in connection with his pending case of malversation of public funds through falsification of public documents stemming from the P900-million Malampaya fund scam. In a three-page resolution, the anti-graft court resolved that the letters made to the Sandiganbayan [...] The post Sandigan won’t suspend Andaya over gas fund scam appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsAug 12th, 2018

‘Pork’ kickbacks wired to Napoles’ US account

PUBLIC funds were laundered by businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles’ to her United States account, the star witness in the pork barrel scam told the Sandiganbayan anti-graft court on Thursday. Benhur Luy took the stand during the trial of the graft charges filed against former senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. in connection with the priority development assistance [...] The post ‘Pork’ kickbacks wired to Napoles’ US account appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsAug 2nd, 2018

Court affirms graft, multiple falsification raps against Paulate, aide

THE Sandiganbayan has denied a motion by actor-turned-Quezon City councilor Roderick Paulate to dismiss graft and falsification charges against him and his liaison over the hiring of 30 alleged ghost employees eight years ago. In their motion, Paulate and Vicente Bajamunde argued that the charges lacked merit because of the time it took government prosecutors [...] The post Court affirms graft, multiple falsification raps against Paulate, aide appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJul 16th, 2018

Sandiganbayan refuses to drop charges vs QC councilor

The Sandiganbayan Seventh Division has refused to let Quezon City Councilor and actor Roderick Paulate off the hook from his graft and falsification charges in relation to the “fictitious job contractors” he hired back in 2010. Sandiganbayan refuses to drop charges vs QC councilor The Sandiganbayan Seventh Division has refused to let Quezon City Councilor… link: Sandiganbayan refuses to drop charges vs QC councilor.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJul 16th, 2018

Roderick Paulate posts bail for graft, falsification raps

Actor and Quezon City Councilor Roderick Paulate Friday posted a bail bond of P246,000 for criminal charges over his alleged hiring of ghost employees in 2010......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 27th, 2018

Quezon City councilor faces graft, falsification raps

A FORMER actor-comedian-turned-Quezon City councilor is facing a graft case before the Sandiganbayan for allegedly causing the hiring of 30 “fictitious job contractors” in 2010. Charged along with Roderick Paulate was Vicente Bajamunde who was identified in the charge sheet as then-driver and then-liaison officer of Paulate’s office. The Office of the Ombudsman filed the [...] The post Quezon City councilor faces graft, falsification raps appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsApr 25th, 2018

Roderick Paulate faces graft, falsification charges

Roderick Paulate faces graft, falsification charges.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  cnnphilippinesRelated NewsApr 25th, 2018

Roderick Paulate faces graft charges over ‘ghost employees’

By Minde Nyl R. dela Cruz THE OFFICE of the Ombudsman slapped Quezon City District 2 Councilor Roderick M. Paulate with graft and falsification charges before the Sandiganbayan for allegedly hiring 30 ghost employees in 2010. In its complaint, the Ombudsman said Mr. Paulate violated Section 3(e) of Republic Act 3019 or the Anti-Graft and […] The post Roderick Paulate faces graft charges over ‘ghost employees’ appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 25th, 2018

Ombudsman files graft, falsification raps against Roderick Paulate over ‘ghost employees’

The Ombudsman has filed graft and multiple counts of falsification charges against Quezon City Councilor Roderick Paulate for allegedly maintaining 30 ghost employees under the payroll of the city council in 2010. Source link link: Ombudsman files graft, falsification raps against Roderick Paulate over ‘ghost employees’.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsApr 25th, 2018

Sandigan acquits Echiverri of graft

The Sandiganbayan has ordered the dismissal of one of 44 graft and falsification of public documents cases filed by the Office of the Ombudsman against former Caloocan City mayor Enrico Echiverri......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 17th, 2018

Indonesia politician’s graft trial delayed by stomach woes

JAKARTA, Indonesia --- A top Indonesian politician accused of involvement in one of the country's biggest corruption scandals told a court on the first day of his trial he's suffering a stomach complaint, forcing a postponement while his medical condition is checked. Lawyers for Setya Novanto, the former speaker of Indonesia's parliament, argued Wednesday he was too ill to stand trial but prosecutors said he was in good health. Judges postponed the hearing until later in the day. Novanto was allegedly part of a conspiracy of dozens of officials who used the introduction of an electronic ID system to steal more than $170 million of public money. He evaded questioning by anti-...Keep on reading: Indonesia politician’s graft trial delayed by stomach woes.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 13th, 2017

Ronaldo rape allegation moving on 2 legal tracks in Nevada

By Ken Ritter, Associated Press LAS VEGAS (AP) — A lawsuit filed by a Nevada woman who claims Cristiano Ronaldo raped her nine years ago and paid her $375,000 in hush money has set in motion a two-track legal process in Las Vegas. One involves the lawsuit, which will proceed to a jury trial in civil court only if a state judge sides with attorneys for plaintiff Kathryn Mayorga on key procedural and statutory questions. The other track involves a police investigation that was recently reopened at the request of Mayorga, a former model and schoolteacher who alleges that one of the world's most famous athletes attacked her in the bedroom of his penthouse at a Las Vegas hotel in 2009. At the end of the investigation, police will decide whether to recommend that prosecutors file criminal charges against the 33-year-old soccer star from Portugal who plays for the Italian club Juventus and his national team. He has had lucrative contracts with other clubs including Sporting Lisbon, Manchester United and Real Madrid. The Associated Press does not generally name people who say they are victims of sex crimes. Mayorga gave consent through her lawyers to make her name public. THE CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION Mayorga's attorneys say she underwent a medical exam to collect DNA evidence soon after the alleged attack in June 2009. But the investigation was ended because Las Vegas police said she only identified her attacker as a European soccer player — not by name — and did not say where the incident took place. The case was reopened in recent weeks at Mayorga's request. Her lawyers say she provided Ronaldo's name to detectives who interviewed her in 2009 and identified the location as the Palms Hotel and Casino. Police will turn over the results of the investigation to Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson to decide whether to file criminal charges. A jury of 12 people would have to reach a unanimous verdict of guilt for a conviction on a felony sexual assault charge that could bring a sentence ranging from 10 years to life in state prison, depending on whether the jury decides if Mayorga suffered substantial bodily injury. Police have refused to release documents about the case. Officer Aden OcampoGomez, a police department spokesman, said Tuesday he could not comment about an ongoing investigation. THE LAWSUIT Ronaldo's attorneys have not yet responded to the lawsuit filed by Mayorga on Sept. 27 in Clark County District Court. William Terry, a veteran Nevada criminal defense attorney not connected with the case, predicted that Ronaldo's legal team will ask the judge to dismiss the lawsuit before they reply to its claims. "There will be a ton of issues to decide long before the case gets to a jury," Terry said after reviewing the lawsuit and statements by attorneys at the request of The Associated Press. "I think the whole complaint is vulnerable to dismissal." Before the lawsuit could go to trial, Judge Adriana Escobar would have to decide if too much time has passed since the alleged attack; whether Ronaldo or Mayorga violated a 2010 non-disclosure agreement that requires Mayorga to keep quiet about an encounter that Ronaldo's lawyers say was consensual; and whether documents cited in European news stories about the case are authentic. Mayorga's attorneys want to void the non-disclosure pact. The lawsuit claims Ronaldo used "fixers" to pressure Mayorga to sign. It also accuses Ronaldo or people working for him of conspiracy, coercion and fraud, defamation, battery, breach of contract and negligence for allowing details of the confidential settlement to become public in European publications. If the lawsuit gets to trial, a jury of as many as eight people would be asked to reach a majority decision based on a preponderance of evidence or the probable truth or accuracy of the allegations. That is a less-stringent standard than a criminal case. If jurors find in favor of Mayorga, they would be asked to consider possible monetary damages. Mayorga is seeking an unspecified amount greater than $200,000. TIMING OF THE CLAIMS Leslie Mark Stovall, a lawyer for Mayorga, has acknowledged that plaintiffs in personal injury cases in Nevada usually have two years to file a civil lawsuit. However, he says a psychiatrist diagnosed Mayorga this year with post-traumatic stress and depression "caused by Cristiano Ronaldo's sexual assault in 2009." As a result, the attorney says, Mayorga was not emotionally or legally competent to enter the non-disclosure agreement nine years ago. "We believe that we have the factual basis to ask the court to set aside the agreement so that we can litigate her original damages," the attorney said. In the police case, veteran prosecutors, defense attorneys and law professor Eve Hanan at the William S. Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, agreed that the state could bring criminal charges despite the passage of time because Mayorga filed a police report. "There is no statute of limitations if there is a valid police report," attorney Tom Pitaro said......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 17th, 2018

3rd telco plan hits a snag

The Duterte administration's third telco initiative received its first legal challenge a mere day after bidders were invited to participate, catching interested parties and the general public off-guard while casting a cloud over a selection process aimed at breaking the PLDT Inc. and Globe Telecom duopoly.   NOW Telecom, which is part of a group that had signaled its interest to become the country's third mobile player, announced on Tuesday that it had sued the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) at the Manila Regional Trial Court last Oct. 8, or the same day it acquired selection documents from the NTC.   NOW, an affiliate of publicly listed NOW Corp., wan...Keep on reading: 3rd telco plan hits a snag.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 9th, 2018

Floirendo appeal to dismiss graft raps junked anew

Davao del Norte second district Rep. Antonio Floirendo Jr. should stand trial for graft in connection with his alleged unlawful financial interests in a banana plantation doing business with the government, the Sandiganbayan has maintained......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 19th, 2018

Fake NBI agents arrested

The three demanded another P100,000 purportedly to be given to the judge handling his case Agents of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) arrested three fake NBI operatives involved in robbery extortion and falsification of public documents in Pasay City. NBI Director Dante Gierran yesterday identified the suspects as Romano de Rosales, Christian Maximo and […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsSep 13th, 2018

Sandiganbayan junks Ampatuan demurrer

The Sandiganbayan has denied former Maguindanao governor Sajid Islam Ampatuan’s petition to file a demurrer to evidence in his graft and falsification cases, halfway through trial......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 10th, 2018

DOCUMENTS: SC decision, dissent in upholding Estrada plunder

MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court (SC) en banc voted 6-4-4 to uphold the Ombudsman's plunder indictment of former senator Jinggoy Estrada, currently undergoing trial at the anti-graft court Sandiganbayan. Associate Justices Presbitero Velasco Jr (newly retired) and Lucas Bersamin were two of the 4 dissents, who expressly voted to acquit him. Associate Justices Diosdado ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 24th, 2018

Turkey charges father of NBA’s Kanter as terror group member

ISTANBUL (AP) — A Turkish court has accepted an indictment charging the father of NBA player Enes Kanter with “membership in a terror group,” the country’s official news agency reported Monday (Tuesday, PHL time). The indictment followed an investigation of Mehmet Kanter, and prosecutors planned to seek his conviction and a prison term of five to 10 years at trial, Anadolu Agency said. It’s unclear when the trial in western Tekirdag province would begin. Enes Kanter, who plays for the New York Knicks, is a follower of a U.S.-based Turkish cleric who the government accuses of masterminding a failed military coup in 2016. Cleric Fethullah Gulen has denied the allegation, but tens of thousands of people suspected of ties to his network have been arrested or fired. The elder Kanter, a professor, was purged from public service after the coup attempt and detained for five days last summer. Anadolu said the indictment alleges he contacted some 120 suspects with alleged links to Gulen, including dozens who were said to have communicated through an encrypted messaging application. Enes Kanter, a former Oklahoma City Thunder center, has been a vocal critic of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. His Turkish passport was canceled last year. Prosecutors charged him in December with insulting the president in a series of tweets. They want to try him in absentia and have him sentenced to more than four years in prison, if he is convicted. I will continue to keep fighting for Human Rights and Freedom of Speech Justice and Democracy above all.I will stand for what I believe in.All I’m doing is trying to be voice of innocent people Keep my family,innocent people in your prayers 🙏#DictatorErdogan 🇹🇷@RT_Erdogan pic.twitter.com/i7kK3mwKND — Enes Kanter (@Enes_Kanter) June 18, 2018 “Keep my family, innocent people in your prayers,” the basketball player tweeted Monday (Tuesday, PHL time) with the hashtag “DictatorErdogan.” His Twitter account is withheld in Turkey. Under a state of emergency declared in the aftermath of the coup, Turkey has arrested more than 50,000 and sacked some 110,000 people alleged to have infiltrated state institutions for Gulen. The government said the crackdown was needed to fight alleged acts of terror......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 19th, 2018

Calida dared to disclose his SALNs

The private citizen who filed graft raps against Solicitor General Jose Calida has challenged the government’s chief lawyer to make public his wealth declaration documents......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 18th, 2018