Advertisements


Rio police: Scant evidence so far in Lochte robbery probe

Police investigating reports that American swimmer Ryan Lochte and three of his teammates were robbed at gunpoint in a taxi so far have found little evidence supporting the account, and say the swimmers were unable to provide key details in police intervi.....»»

Category: newsSource: mb.com.ph mb.com.phAug 17th, 2016

NBI to probe recruiter of Joanna Demafelis

Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II on Monday ordered the National Bureau of Investigation to investigate and build a case against the labor recruitment agency that deployed Joanna Demafelis to Kuwait, where she was allegedly murdered by her employer. Aguirre directed the NBI to look into the "possible liabilities" of the recruitment agency, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Global E-Human Resources Inc., "in relation to the death of" Demafelis. "If evidence so warrants, file appropriate charges," he said in his order to NBI Director Dante Gierran. Shut down in 2016 Mt. Carmel Global was shut down in 2016, but the Philippine National Police said on Monday that it had leads on the...Keep on reading: NBI to probe recruiter of Joanna Demafelis.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 27th, 2018

Letters From Davao by Jun Ledesma

EJK THE FAVORITE DISH of the political opposition, leftists and the pan-handling human rights watch organizations had always been extra-judicial-killing. And their principal suspect is then Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Roa Duterte now President of the Republic of the Philippines.  EJK is actually a political propaganda leveled by the adversaries of the unbeatable Mayor who, during his term as mayor, ran practically unopposed. Those who salivate for the position and dared to run were not only trounced but end up humiliated because the results of the elections have always been lopsided in favor of Digong. The last attempt of his political rivals was to consort with the Commission on Human Rights which was then chaired by Leila de Lima. This was in 2009 a few months before elections in 2010. The local human rights organization and HRW New York connived with CHR to the death of what they claimed were 280 plus victims of EJK. As if this was not enough, they succeeded in bringing in Philip Alston, a Rapporteur of the United Nations Human Rights Commission, to lend drama to the much ballyhooed probe conducted by CHR Chair De Lima.  HRW New York also published a book titled “You Can Die Anytime…”. For over five months of intensive and expansive investigation within which time Duterte took a leave of absence and gave up his supervisory over the police,  to assure the probers a free hand, De Lima and her team never produced a piece of evidence. CHR Chair De Lima even added spice to her task. All the members of her probe team were from Manila. The summons and warrants she all secured from the Regional Trial Courts in Metro Manila because according to her she cannot trust the judges in Davao because they are scared of the Davao Death Squads of Duterte. Well, she became Secretary of Justice and then Senator. She continued haranguing Duterte with EJK issue. The sound bites had all become too familiar as it had become too boring. When she became Senator, she resurrected the EJK charges against Mayor Duterte, who had been catapulted to the highest position of the land by then. This time she had fellow Sen. Antonio Trillanes to revive her issue against Duterte. The duo produced two witnesses, Matobato and Lascañas who at the start of the senate drama contradicted each other but then later sang the same but discordant tune. Matobato had earlier confessed that by himself he killed over 200 on orders of Duterte. Lascañas who refuted the claims of Matobato later turned 180 degrees and joined him for reasons that can be subjected to millions of speculations. This time the duo claimed they buried more than 2,200 EJK victims in an abandoned quarry which is just about three kilometers from city hall. It was the same (Laud) quarry where, in 2009, CHR Chair De Lima made several diggings to look for cadavers but found none. Oh well, they actually unearthed an incomplete skeletal remains of what looked like a Cro-Magnon man along with two pairs of a new license car plates. If you do not call that planted pieces of evidence I do not know what those are but the RTC Judge in Makati threw these out for the badly deteriorated skeletons and the license plates are inadmissible in court. As DOJ Secretary and Senator one wonders why she never came back with pick and shovel this time with Matobato and Lascañas in tow. They could have easily pinpoint the graveyard since they alleged they buried their victims there. This time with more than 2,200 victims buried in that small quarry land, one can shoot an arrow in the air and it could fell anywhere on a burial ground and find their victims there. Instead, De Lima, Trillanes, Matobato and Lascañas opted to unearth their victims in the halls of the senate. I must say though that they succeeded in their quest because they not only increased the numbers of alleged EJK from 300 to 2,200 in Davao City alone and then to 3,000 plus which became the adopted figure of Time Magazine, Rappler and the rest of anti-Duterte publications. The exaggeration did not end there for anywhere from 7,000 to  over 13,000 is now what you see in their score board. The amplification of EJK estimates also depend on events. Before the ASEAN summit in Manila,  an organization even came out with a jarring figures alleging 30-million perished by EJK in the Philippines. Whatever are the concocted figures  by whoever extrapolates or publishes it the fact remains that majority of the Filipinos supports President Duterte on his war on drugs.  This is reflected by the results of surveys which complimented each other’s findings. The positive indicators however are always drowned by the noise and overestimations of the rabid critics of Duterte. For whatever reasons moreover, recently the razzmatazz over EJK had died down as quickly as the numbers of the victims rise. I can only attribute this to the potential bombshell that the controversial Dengvaxia vaccine will create. Suddenly parents of children inoculated with the vaccine are confronted with a terrible and horrible prospect their kids might suffer the severe attack of dengue. The attack dogs that had a pound of flesh of Duterte had their tails behind their legs and the rabid fangs clamped. It is time to think of how to parry the slings […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsDec 13th, 2017

PNP to probe murder of Ecija priest – Palace

  Malacaang has assured the public that the Philippine National Police (PNP) would look into the killing of a 72-year-old retired Catholic priest in Nueva Ecija.   Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that the killing of Fr. Marcelito "Tito" Paez would be investigated by the police and that perpetrators would be brought to the bar of justice.   "[L]ike all killings, they will investigated by police authorities. And if there's sufficient evidence to charge anyone, then authorities are duty-bound to file the necessary information," Roque said in a press briefing.   Roque said that it would still be early to say if the murder of Paez, a lon...Keep on reading: PNP to probe murder of Ecija priest – Palace.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 5th, 2017

Aguirre orders probe into use of minor in Caloocan police raid, robbery

Aguirre orders probe into use of minor in Caloocan police raid, robbery.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 19th, 2017

UK lowers terror threat level as subway bomb probe advances

LONDON — British police made progress Sunday in their frantic pursuit of suspects and evidence connected to the bomb that partially exploded on a packed Lond.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 18th, 2017

Chiz resolution calls on senate to probe AI report

Sen. Chiz Escudero has filed a resolution pushing the Senate to investigate the allegations of Amnesty International that killings related to the government's war against illegal drugs were extrajudicial executions carried out by gunmen hired by police officers to kill and plant evidence......»»

Category: newsSource:  samarnewsRelated NewsMar 17th, 2017

Lochte legal woes mount in Brazil

RIO DE JANEIRO – Brazilian police charged American swimmer Ryan Lochte on Thursday with filing a false robbery report over an incident during the Olympics in.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 26th, 2016

US swimmers made up Rio robbery, vandalized gas station — police

US swimmer Ryan Lochte and three Olympic teammates were not robbed in Rio as they claimed but were detained after drunkenly vandalizing a gas station bathroom, police said Thursday......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 19th, 2016

EU urges PH to stop killings

The European Parliament on Thursday called on the Philippine government to stop extrajudicial killings in the pretext of a "war on drugs" and expressed concern that police authorities are "falsifying evidence to justify extrajudicial killings."   In a resolution, members of the European Parliament (MEPs) also asked the Philippine government to stop attacks against those who expose allegations of extrajudicial killings and other human rights violations.   They said human rights defenders like Victoria Tauli-Corpuz, the United Nations special rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples, should be removed from the government's list of terrorists and pressed for the ...Keep on reading: EU urges PH to stop killings.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated News7 hr. 14 min. ago

Ex-SAF chief sacked as Ombudsman probe pushes forward

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Police Director Benjamin Lusad, former Philippine National Police (PNP) Special Action Force (SAF) chief has been sacked from his current post at the Directorate for Integrated Police Operations – Southern Luzon. This was announced by PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent John Bulalacao on Tuesday, April 17 in ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 17th, 2018

PNP starts probe of deaths of several Pasay City jail detainees

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has started investigating the deaths of several detainees at the Pasay City police jail purportedly due to health problems and heat. According to PNP spokesperson Chief Supt. John Bulalacao, apart from a motu proprio investigation by the National Capital Region Police Office Internal Affairs Service (NCRPO-IAS), the Southern Police District has begun a probe into "the possible criminal aspect of the case." The internal affairs service will look into possible administrative lapses that may have occurred which contributed to the death, initially claimed to be due to natural causes, of the detainees of the Pasay City police. Three men have d...Keep on reading: PNP starts probe of deaths of several Pasay City jail detainees.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 13th, 2018

Peter Lim No-Show at DOJ Probe on Drug Raps

Cebu-based businessman and alleged drug lord Peter Lim was a no-show in Thursday’s preliminary investigation conducted by the new panel of prosecutors of the Department of Justice (DOJ) on the drug complaint filed by the Philippine National Police (PNP) against him, self-confessed drug lord Kerwin Espinosa, and several others. Lim, however, was represented by his […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsApr 13th, 2018

15 of 16 escapees recaptured; mayor orders probe and sanctions

ONLY ONE of the 16 prisoners who bolted the Tetuan Police Jail early dawn Tuesday, April 10, remains at large as of Wednesday morning, according to the police. The 15 recaptured detainees have been transferred to a different detention facility as authorities conduct a probe on the jailbreak. Zamboanga City Mayor Maria Isabelle Climaco-Salazar, in […] The post 15 of 16 escapees recaptured; mayor orders probe and sanctions appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 11th, 2018

PNP to cooperate with drug slays probe

HE is not promising a bloodless war on drugs but National Capital Region Police Office chief and incoming Philippine National Police head Director General Oscar D. Albayalde has given assurances that the PNP will fully cooperate with all investigations into killings of suspected drug personalities since President Rodrigo Duterte ordered….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsApr 8th, 2018

Anti-drug probe okay with PNP

HE is not promising a ‘bloodless’ war on drugs across the country but National Capital Region Police Office chief-turned incoming Philippine National Police chief, Director General Oscar D. Albayalde has assured that the PNP will fully cooperate with all investigations into killings of suspected drug personalities since President Duterte ordered….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsApr 7th, 2018

Peter Lim asks DOJ to set separate preliminary probe on drug case

        Cebu businessman and alleged drug trafficker Peter Lim has asked the Department of Justice (DOJ) to conduct a separate preliminary investigation into the illegal drug charges against him and his co-respondents.   In a five-page motion dated April 5 but only released to media on Friday, Lim is requesting for a separate preliminary investigation against him, explaining that his defense might not be given due attention by the prosecution.   "Mr. Lim is concerned that his defenses and the obvious lack of evidence against him might not be given due attention in view of the number of respondents and transactions involved in the ...Keep on reading: Peter Lim asks DOJ to set separate preliminary probe on drug case.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 6th, 2018

Brazil’s Lula given 24 hours to start prison sentence

  Brazil's former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, once one of the most popular politicians on the planet, was given 24 hours to surrender to police and start a 12 year prison sentence for corruption.   The timing of the order from Judge Sergio Moro, head of Brazil's huge "Car Wash" anti-graft probe, came as a complete surprise on Thursday, given that lawyers said earlier that the leftist former two-term president had at least until next week before going behind bars.   Lula, 72, easily leads polls in Brazil's October presidential election and his apparent downfall will throw the race completely open. Currently, hard-right former army officer Jai...Keep on reading: Brazil’s Lula given 24 hours to start prison sentence.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 6th, 2018

Teen in SM Strata accident nabbed for robbery raps

It’s a double whammy for a teenager who figured in a freak accident at high-rise building project on Diversion Road, Mandurriao, Iloilo City. Sam (not his real name), 16, is under hospital arrest days after he lost his leg in a freak accident at SM Strata. Chief Inspector Juvy Navales, Mandurriao police chief, confirmed that […] The post Teen in SM Strata accident nabbed for robbery raps appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsApr 3rd, 2018

SC on drug war documentation, FBI probe on Quiboloy church, Grindr on HIV data | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler: The Supreme Court en banc  compels the government to provide full documentation of the 3,000 deaths from legitimate police anti-drug operations.  The Federal Bureau of Investigation  is conducting a probe into the church of Pastor Apollo Quiboloy for alleged human trafficking in Hawaii.  The National Economic and Development Authority says the proposed 6-month shutdown of Boracay will have a minimal impact on ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 3rd, 2018

Relief of 8 Antique cops gets slay probe going

ILOILO CITY --- Eight police officers of San Jose, Antique province, including the capital town's police chief, had been relieved of their duties amid an investigation of what was being suspected as the summary executions of two men who had fought with a police officer in a bar brawl and accused of stealing his gun and wallet. Supt. Gilbert Gorero, spokesperson of the Western Visayas police, said Senior Insp. Marc Dado, acting chief of police of San Jose, was relieved of duty on March 25, along with seven of his subordinates. Dado was transferred to the regional public holding and accounting unit of the regional police in Camp Martin Delgado here. His seven subordinates were tra...Keep on reading: Relief of 8 Antique cops gets slay probe going.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 1st, 2018