Advertisements


PNP submits drug war data to Supreme Court

The Philippine National Police has started submitting to the Supreme Court the case folders of nearly 4,000 documented killings under the Duterte administration’s war on drugs......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarMay 16th, 2018

New PNP chief to give court ‘Tokhang’ records

The incoming chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP) has promised to comply with an order of the Supreme Court (SC) to submit data on 4,000 individuals who were documented to have been killed in police anti-drug operations. “Of course, we will follow the SC’s order although I know that the [PNP] is already fixing [...] The post New PNP chief to give court ‘Tokhang’ records appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsApr 7th, 2018

SC on drug war documentation, FBI probe on Quiboloy church, Grindr on HIV data | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler: The Supreme Court en banc  compels the government to provide full documentation of the 3,000 deaths from legitimate police anti-drug operations.  The Federal Bureau of Investigation  is conducting a probe into the church of Pastor Apollo Quiboloy for alleged human trafficking in Hawaii.  The National Economic and Development Authority says the proposed 6-month shutdown of Boracay will have a minimal impact on ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 3rd, 2018

Rival captains back Peru s Guerrero in bid to lift Cup ban

SYDNEY (AP) — The captains of the three countries set to play Peru at the World Cup have co-signed a letter urging soccer's international governing body to find a way for Peru captain Paolo Guerrero — currently under a drug suspension — to play in the tournament next month. FIFPro, the players' union, released a letter Tuesday that was signed by France captain Hugo Lloris, Denmark captain Simon Kjaer and Australia skipper Mile Jedinak seeking a temporary lifting of Guerrero's suspension. Guerrero tested positive for a banned substance after Peru's World Cup qualifier against Argentina last October and was initially suspended for 12 months. The ban was later reduced to six months, allowing the 34-year-old forward to return to his Brazilian club Flamengo to prepare for the World Cup. But the Court of Arbitration for Sport, on appeal from the World Anti-Doping Agency, last week extended the suspension to 14 months, effectively sidelining Guerrero for Peru's first World Cup tournament in 36 years. In the letter to FIFA, the France, Denmark and Australia captains asked the FIFA Council to "show compassion" and said it would be "plainly wrong" to exclude Guerrero on the basis of the findings that the Peru captain did not intent to cheat and that the substance was not performance-enhancing. Guerrero tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine, but lawyers argued the stimulant did not enhance his performance and was accidentally consumed in contaminated tea. The CAS said its panel accepted those arguments as factual. "As such, we turn to the FIFA Council and kindly put forward an urgent request for clemency by asking the FIFA Council to temporarily interrupt the ban imposed on Paolo Guerrero during the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, with the suspension to recommence at the conclusion of Peru's participation in the competition," the captains wrote. "We believe that in the interest of fairness and proportionality, and taking into consideration the exceptional circumstances of the present matter, Paolo who — as everyone agrees did not cheat — should be able to participate with, and against, his fellow professionals in the FIFA World Cup. "We strongly believe that a temporary interruption would be the equitable and rightful solution." Peru President Martin Vizcarra has asked the government and Peru's ambassador to Switzerland to be ready to help Guerrero challenge his ban at the Swiss supreme court. Guerrero can ask federal judges to study the ruling by the Swiss-based CAS, which banned him until January. The Swiss Federal Tribunal can intervene if the legal process was abused. It could give an interim order before Peru's World Cup program starts on June 16 against Denmark......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated News10 hr. 6 min. ago

LOOK: Thousands of drug war documents piled along Camp Crame corridors

MANILA, Philippines – Thousands of drug campaign documents stood stacked in balikbayan boxes inside Camp Crame on Monday, May 21 as the Philippine National Police (PNP) poises itself to submit the files to the Supreme Court (SC) . The documents, a source said, were hauled to the police headquarters for the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 21st, 2018

Robredo’s SALN, Ombudsman application, Facebook closes fake accounts | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler: The Office of the Solicitor General asks the Supreme Court for a two-month extension to complete its submission of tens of thousands of documents related to the police’s illegal drug campaign.  Vice President Leni Robredo's net worth goes down by P7.7 million according to her 2017 Statement of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth.  ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 16th, 2018

Government asks SC for more time to submit drug war documents

The government, through the Office of the Solicitor General, has asked the Supreme Court for additional time to comply with its order to submit the voluminous records on drug war deaths......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 16th, 2018

OSG, PNP seek extension o submission of drug war records

THE Office of the Solicitor-General (OSG) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) have sought a 60-day extension of a Supreme Court order directing them to submit the government’s records on its anti-drug campaign. Thus far, submitted to the high court as of April 26 were 29 case folders on 35 death and injury cases, 35 […] The post OSG, PNP seek extension o submission of drug war records appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMay 16th, 2018

Rappler Talk Investigative: Bob Herrera-Lim on the rule of law and risks to business

Bookmark this page to watch and join the discussion live on Thursday, May 17, at 2 pm! MANILA, Philippines – The country is facing several issues right now – from the ouster of  Supreme Court Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Justice to what groups call " deteriorating " rule of law and democracy all while drug ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 16th, 2018

TIMELINE: Sereno at SC

Aug. 13, 2010---Maria Lourdes Sereno is appointed Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.   Aug. 24, 2012---Sereno becomes the country's 24th Chief Justice---and the first female to hold the position---succeeding Renato Corona who was impeached three months earlier. At 52, she was then the second youngest to be appointed Chief Justice.   2016   Aug. 7---President Duterte accuses seven lower court judges of cavorting with drug lords.   Aug. 8---Sereno writes to Mr. Duterte to assert the judiciary's authority over judges allegedly involved in illegal drugs.   Aug. 9---Sereno's order to judges in Mr. Duterte's "narcolist" not to yie...Keep on reading: TIMELINE: Sereno at SC.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 12th, 2018

From 12 years to 6 months: Small time drug cases get plea bargains

MANILA, Philippines – Small time drug personalities will now be able to get plea bargain deals for a chance to significantly cut their jail times and do their penance by rehabilitation instead. The Supreme Court (SC) ordered on April 10 the adoption of a framework for ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 5th, 2018

SC adopts plea bargaining in drug cases

The Supreme Court has issued a framework on plea bargaining in drug cases that would allow drug suspects to plead guilty to a lesser offense......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 4th, 2018

SolGen defends TRAIN law

The government's monthly financial aid of P200 to poor families is enough to protect them from the inflationary impact on consumer goods of the Duterte administration's tax reform program, the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) has told the Supreme Court. The OSG gave the assurance as it urged the high tribunal to thumb down two petitions challenging the constitutionality of Republic Act No. 10963, or the Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion (TRAIN) Act. Grim scenario The amount, which will be distributed to more than 1.8 million poor households across the country, is roughly the average price of 5 kilos of well-milled rice, according to latest data from the Philippine S...Keep on reading: SolGen defends TRAIN law.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 2nd, 2018

Marcos Denies Violating PET Gag Order

The camp of former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has denied violating the gag orders issued by the Supreme Court (SC) sitting as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET) on February 13, 2018 and March 20, 2018, in connection with the ongoing recount of votes for the 2016 vice presidential poll. “Protestant Marcos humbly submits that […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsApr 28th, 2018

Roque: SC already junked De Lima s appeal

Ahead of an official announcement from the Supreme Court, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said that detained Sen. Leila de Lima’s appeal on the legality of her drug case has been junked......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 20th, 2018

Supreme Court tells gov t to prove drug war police reports exist

MANILA, Philippines – Were anti-drug operations planned and conducted properly, and were the deaths really investigated? These are basic questions that the Supreme Court wants answered by compelling the government to submit to them full documentation of thousands of deaths that arose from anti-drug operations......»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 19th, 2018

High court verdict disappoints Leila

Detained Sen. Leila de Lima on Wednesday said she was disappointed but not surprised that the Supreme Court had junked her petition to nullify her arrest warrant last year for alleged drug trading.   "I am disappointed but hardly surprised," De Lima said in reaction to the high court's 9-6 vote to junk her motion for reconsideration.   "It is difficult to understand how an impartial tribunal can allow a citizen to remain under detention when even they themselves cannot agree on the nature of the charge," she said. --- CHRISTINE O. AVENDAO...Keep on reading: High court verdict disappoints Leila.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 19th, 2018

SC tells gov t to prove drug war police reports exist

MANILA, Philippines – Were anti-drug operations planned and conducted properly, and were the deaths really investigated? These are basic questions that the Supreme Court wants answered by compelling the government to submit to them full documentation of thousands of deaths that arose from anti-drug operations......»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 18th, 2018

De Lima to stay in jail, SC junks appeal

SEN. Leila de Lima will stay in prison after the Supreme Court denied her motion for reconsideration on a lower court ruling that ordered her arrest and detention on drug charges. In its ruling, penned by Associate Justice Presbitero Velasco Jr., the high tribunal upheld the February 23, 2017 order on her arrest by Muntinlupa [...] The post De Lima to stay in jail, SC junks appeal appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsApr 17th, 2018

PNP tells Supreme Court: War on drugs constitutional

The Philippine National Police yesterday insisted that its war against illegal drugs is constitutional and dispelled insinuations that all drug-related deaths may have been carried out by the government itself......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 12th, 2018

PNP dispels insinuations that drug deaths are gov’t-sanctioned

  The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Thursday dispelled the Supreme Court's allegation that all the killings under the anti-drug campaign may be sanctioned by the government itself. PNP spokesman Chief Supt. John Bulalacao maintained that the anti-drug campaign is "constitutional, legal and is implemented in the interest of public safety" and the presumption of regularity sides with authorities until disproven in court. "All allegations are part of the healthy democracy that the country has," Bulalacao said in a statement. "The presumption of regularity remains with the law enforcers and unless proven otherwise in the court of law," he added. The SC, in a res...Keep on reading: PNP dispels insinuations that drug deaths are gov’t-sanctioned.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 12th, 2018