Advertisements


PNP hopes for more survivors in Itogon, Cebu landslides

The Philippine National Police (PNP) is hoping to recover more survivors in the landslides that occurred in Itogon, Benguet and Naga City, Cebu as it continues to help in search and rescue efforts......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarSep 25th, 2018

OCD stops retrieval ops in Cebu, Benguet

RETRIEVAL operations in Naga City in Cebu and Itogon, Benguet, where landslides have buried people in the wake of typhoon “Ompong,” have been stopped after the ground became too soft for the activities to continue, authorities said on Tuesday. Concepcion Ornopia, director for the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) in Western Visayas, said stopping of search… link: OCD stops retrieval ops in Cebu, Benguet.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsOct 3rd, 2018

When mountains collapse

The tragic landslides in Itogon, Benguet and Naga, Cebu are the latest arguments to compel the review of our mining policies......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 22nd, 2018

IN PHOTOS: Rescuers dig for survivors in Naga, Cebu landslide

MANILA, Philippines – A landslide occurred  in Naga City, Cebu just 5 days after a massive landslide triggered by Typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut) hit the mining town of Itogon in Benguet . In Naga City, authorities said days of heavy monsoon rains caused a steep slope to collapse, burying homes in barangays Tinaan and ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 20th, 2018

Itogon landslides: We still consider this a rescue operation

MANILA, Philippines – It has been 4 days since Typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut) triggered landslides in Itogon, Benguet on Saturday morning, September 15, leaving at least 46 dead and 60 missing . In Barangay Ucab, where a major landslide occurred, authorities are still hoping to find survivors in what they refused to call a retrieval operation. "I reported ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 19th, 2018

18 more bodies recovered from Benguet landslide

Eighteen bodies were dug up from tons of mud that buried a hillside mining community in Itogon in Benguet as hopes faded for finding survivors, with 57 more people still unaccounted for as of yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 18th, 2018

Praying for miracles, rescuers seek signs of life after Philippine typhoon landslides

UCAB — Hopes of finding survivors in the rubble of a huge landslide in the Philippines faded on Monday as rescuers in a remote mountainous region struggled to reach dozens of people feared trapped, two days after a powerful typhoon struck. Some 300 police, soldiers, firefighters and volunteers armed mostly with hand tools raced to remove rocks, mud, […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsSep 18th, 2018

Hope fades for 300 missing in Brazil dam disaster

BRUMADINHO, Brazil (UPDATED) – Hopes were fading Saturday, January 26, that rescuers would find more survivors from at least 300 missing after a dam collapse at a mine in southeast Brazil, with 9 bodies so far recovered. Seven bodies were recovered Friday hours after the disaster, after a torrent ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 26th, 2019

Albayalde orders 24-hour security for Cebu ambush survivors

Philippine National Police chief Oscar Albayalde said in a statement that he has ordered 24-hour security for the survivors of an ambush on the van where San Fernando, Cebu Mayor Lakimbini Reluya was on board......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 23rd, 2019

Albayalde orders 24-hour security for Cebu ambush survivors

Philippine National Police chief Oscar Albayalde said in a statement that he has ordered 24-hour security for the survivors of an ambush on the van where San Fernando, Cebu Mayor Lakimbini Reluya was on board. Source link link: Albayalde orders 24-hour security for Cebu ambush survivors.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJan 23rd, 2019

PBA: June Mar Fajardo thankful for winning San Miguel as he is set to bag 5th MVP

San Miguel Beermen star center June Mar Fajardo shares that he is in a gratified mood as he is set to be awarded his fifth straight PBA MVP at the Leo Awards this Sunday at the Philippine Arena in Bulacan. No other person in the 43-year history of the first professional basketball league in Asia has won the prestigious award five straight times, as the 6'10 center is set to make history once more, besting the previous record shared with Alvin Patrimonio and Ramon Fernandez.  Fajardo credited his success to the smashing performance of his team, which added another title to their hardware, their 25th overall, also a PBA record. "Hindi ko talaga akalain na mananalo ako ng MVP. Ang ine-expect ko na mag-i-improve lang ako pero yung mga awards, hindi talaga, hindi ko inisip. And kung maipanalao ko yun, lima na. Sobrang blessed," the Pinamungajan, Cebu native said. June Mar Fajardo, who is expected to run away with his 5th straight MVP is thankful for a winning culture in the San Miguel Beermen. "Sobrang suwerte ko na nandito ako sa San Miguel, suwerte ako na magagaling yung teammates ko."#PBA2019 • @abscbnsports pic.twitter.com/EREsOd0F60 — Philip Martin Matel (@philipptionary) January 10, 2019 The #1 overall pick of the 2012 PBA Rookie Draft had another stellar season in the books, posting averages of 20.6 ppg, 12.4 rpg, and 1.2 bpg in 47 outings. He also had a career-high 42 points, which went along with a cool 20 rebounds in San Miguel's championship clincher over Magnolia in Game 5 of the Philippine Cup Finals at the MOA Arena last May, earning him his second Finals MVP overall. The amiable center won two Best Player of the Conference awards in the recently-concluded season, and possibly could have swept it, if he had not gone down with a stress fracture after the Commissioner's Cup Finals series loss against Ginebra last August. Despite all that, his figures were dominant enough to earn him another individual award, which reflected to another successful campaign for the Beermen the past season.  "Sobrang swerte talaga na nasa San Miguel ako kasi malakas yung San Miguel, lagi kami nasa playoffs so malaki yung chance na manalo ako kasi nasa playoffs," shared Fajardo.  "Siguro kung nasa ibang team ako, siguro hindi ako mananalo ng MVP. Sobrang swerte ko na nandito ako sa San Miguel, swerte ako na magagaling yung teammates ko." He also showered praise to runner-up Stanley Pringle, who had dazzled the league with his stellar play as one of the most, if not the most skilled guard in the 12-team association. With targets in their backs, especially with the way how the team retooled themselves as they gear up for another season, Fajardo hopes they could ward off every major challenge and win another Philippine Cup title. "Yun yung goal namin pero alam naman namin na hndi ganoon kadali maipanalo yung championshio kasi yung ibang teams, palakas na ng palakas. Naghahanda sila before Christmas, nag-start na sila sa practice," bared the beanpole.  "Kailangan lang namin na pagbutihin one game at a time. Goal namin muna makapasok sa playoffs hanggang sa umabot kami sa finals." __   Follow this writer on Twitter, @philipptionary.  .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 10th, 2019

Survivors of landslides need therapy, help to start over – VP Leni

Many people who survived the deadly landslides that devastated various areas in Camarines Sur need psychological therapy for treatment and other forms of assistance, VP Leni Robredo said. Survivors of landslides need therapy, help to start over – VP Leni Source link: Survivors of landslides need therapy, help to start over – VP Leni.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJan 5th, 2019

Itogon miners fulfill promise to make town safer for Natonin folk

BENGUET, Philippines – A few days before Christmas, a group of small-scale miners went to Natonin, Mountain Province, to fulfill a promise to make the town safer from landslides. It was in Banawel village where a landslide caused by Typhoon Rosita last October 30 buried the unfinished DPWH ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 28th, 2018

The human perspective on extraction and conservation

By: Edgar Manaay THE recent landslide tragedies in Itogon, Benguet and in Naga, Cebu had caused serious concerns on the extraction of our natural resources, be it gold, coal or limestone material. Putting aside our biases and ignorant views on this issue, let us confront and discuss intelligently the opposing dilemmas on the extraction and conservation […] The post The human perspective on extraction and conservation appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsNov 25th, 2018

Young Pinoy booters cherish FC Barcelona experience

Ten lucky kid footballers took part in a once-in-a-lifetime experience of training in Barcelona, Spain under the tutelage of esteemed FC Barcelona Youth Academy coaches. The kids returned to Manila recently after their global training camp that ran from November 4 to 12 and happily shared their memorable experiences, meeting other young athletes from around the world and ultimately watching their football heroes play live. “We’ve made a lot of friends there and learned a lot of things from our coaches. It was a memorable experience for us,” said Jelena Loren Soon of Singapore School Cebu and a member of the USPC Panthers and Cebu Elite Girls Team, who was the only girl in the batch that flew to Spain through the joint initiative of FC Barcelona and Milo. Soon was joined by Lien Dale Manuel, Alexander David Villarosa, Breindel Medina, Heaven Andrei Teodosio, Tristan Ybanez, Juan Pablo Unlay, Dylan Wong, Carlo Bongocan and Daniel Cagaanan  in the press conference held for the kids on Wednesday.   The Pinoy booters were carefully chosen by an expert panel from Milo, Cebu Football Association and FCB Academy in Cebu from almost 240 participants in Cebu last September.   The junior booters were immersed in a series of training sessions both on the pitch of Ciutat Esportivo, the home of La Maisa, FCB’s youth academy, and in the classroom at Camp Nou. The Filipinos joined other young delegates from Chile, Colombia, Jamaica, Malaysia, Maldives, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago and Venezuela. There, coaches instilled to the young booters the Barca methodology of creative passing and attacking while underscoring the importance of positive values. The Filipinos also played a friendly match against young players of Fundacion Marcet Football Academy. The game was played in four quarters with the Pinoy representatives winning the final frame, 4-0.      But the ultimate experience for these young athletes was their exclusive training with former Brazil and Barca player and legend, Juliano Belleti, capped by watching Lionel Messi and Barca play live against Betis in their La Liga duel.       As an added treat, the kids were given a chance to visit the FC Barcelona locker room – a unique and unforgettable experience. “Milo hopes that these young delegates will continue to work hard and aspire to be the best version of themselves,” said Milo Philippines Consumer Marketing Manager. “We also hope that these kids can share their experience and learnings to help uplift Philippine football and build ambition for others to reach their dreams.”   --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @fromtheriles.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsNov 14th, 2018

Hopes dim for 19 trapped in landslide rubble

Hopes of finding more survivors from the government building buried in last Tuesday’s landslide in Natonin are getting dim as the town remains isolated with rain and mud hampering the frantic search......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 1st, 2018

Hopes dim for 19 trapped in landslide rubble

Hopes of finding more survivors from the government building buried in last Tuesday’s landslide in Natonin are getting dim as the town remains isolated with rain and mud hampering the frantic search......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 1st, 2018

Residents return to danger zone in Itogon despite threat of new landslides

As a Typhoon Rosita threatens to traverse the province, residents of Barangay Ucab were advised by the local government to evacuate for their safety. Source link link: Residents return to danger zone in Itogon despite threat of new landslides.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsOct 29th, 2018

Itogon braces for Typhoon Rosita, aims to prevent repeat of tragedy

BAGUIO, Philippines – The town of Itogon in Benguet is determined not to have a repeat of last September's tragic landslides . With Typhoon Rosita (Yutu) expected to hit Luzon on Tuesday, October 30, Itogon Mayor Victorio Palangdan ordered preemptive evacuation, particularly in the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 29th, 2018

House inquiry on Itogon landslides pushed

Partylist representatives and environmental groups are pushing for a Congressional inquiry on the deadly landslides that struck the town of Itogon, Benguet......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsOct 14th, 2018

NHA releases P20M for Benguet landslide victims’ housing

    ITOGON, Benguet — The National Housing Authority(NHA) has released P10 million for the acquisition of land to resettle families removed from landslide-prone areas and danger zones here. Earlier, the NHA already released P10 million to purchase building materials for families evicted from their homes after landslides triggered by typhoon “Ompong” (international name: Mangkhut)… link: NHA releases P20M for Benguet landslide victims’ housing.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsOct 13th, 2018