Advertisements


Phoenix trial begins for NBA players accused of assault

Phoenix trial begins for NBA players accused of assault.....»»

Category: sportsSource: philstar philstarSep 14th, 2017

Man testifies in trial over NBA players assault

PHOENIX — The man accusing NBA players Marcus and Markieff Morris of aggravated assault was pressed Tuesday (Wednesday Manila time) by defense lawyers about.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 20th, 2017

Rolling Stone defamation trial over rape article begins

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — The woman who claimed she was gang raped in a now-discredited story in Rolling Stone magazine said the University of Virginia dean who counseled her after she came forward about her alleged assault "did everything right," an .....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 19th, 2016

Ateneo, UP and DLSU prevail as UAAP badminton begins

Ateneo de Manila University, University of the Philippines and De La Salle University won their respective men's division openers on Thursday in the UAAP Season 80 badminton tournament. The Blue Eagles carved out a 4-1 win over Adamson University, 4-1, while the Fighting Maroons posted a 5-0 shutout victory over University of the East. The Green Archers lost their first two matches before storming back to beat University of Santo Tomas, 3-2, in the other opening day tie at the Rizal Memorial Badminton Hall.    Singles players Carlo Remo, Clarence Filart and last season's top rookie Keoni Asuncion as well as doubles aces Remo and Patrick Gecosala prevailed to give Ateneo a winning start. The Eagles' lone loss came from the second doubles of Filart and Sean Chan. UP turned to JM Bernardo, CK Clemente and Vinci Manuel, who won their singles matches, as well as the pairs of Betong Pineda and Paul Gonzales, and Jolo Lunod and Michael Clemente, who swept their doubles matches. Men's champion NU, which went perfect in 27 ties dating back from 2014, drew opening day bye. The Bulldogs begin their quest for a four-peat against the Fighting Maroons on Saturday at 8 a.m. at the same Malate venue. UP, meanwhile, also drew a bye and will begin its foray for a women's four-peat opposite La Salle at 1 p.m. on Saturday. Opening ties in women's division saw Ateneo, De La Salle beating UE,  Adamson University and UST via similar 5-0 scorelines.   .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 21st, 2017

Slovenia beats Serbia 93-85 to win Eurobasket title

em>By Demetris Nellas, Associated Press /em> Slovenia won its first European basketball championship on Sunday, defeating Serbia 93-85 in Istanbul behind 35 points by Goran Dragic. Dragic, the Miami Heat guard who was voted MVP of the tournament after the game, watched the final four minutes from the bench due to cramp. He had been visibly tiring, missing all three shots and the one free throw he took in the final quarter. With Dragic out, Serbia briefly took the lead at 79-78, and again at 82-80 with 3:37 to go. But Slovenia, which had upset pre-tournament favorite Spain 92-72 in the semifinals, refused to fold. It went on a 12-0 run, during which guard Klemen Prepelic scored the go-ahead basket, 84-82, with 2:20 to go. After a balanced first quarter, which ended with Serbia 22-20 ahead, Dragic scored 20 of Slovenia’s 36 points in the second quarter to help give it a 56-47 halftime lead. “We gave them a lot of transition points. They brought the NBA speed on the floor,” Serbia coach Aleksandar Djordjevic said. “We are an uptempo team ... the importance of the game shouldn’t change what we do,” said Slovenia’s Serb coach, Igor Kokoskov. Djordjevic responded by taking out his 2.21-meter (7-foot-3) center Boban Marjanovic of the Detroit Pistons in favor of more mobile players, who managed to slow down the pace in the third quarter at the 16,000-seat Sinan Erdem arena. Dragic still managed to score nine points and Slovenia stayed ahead, 71-67, but lost young star Luka Doncic with a sprained ankle. Bogdan Bogdanovic, who is set to join the Sacramento Kings next season, led Serbia with 22 points. Kokoskov, also the assistant coach for the Utah Jazz, gave a nod to his boss — coach Quin Snyder. “He is my dear friend, my boss. He told me ‘Be prepared for the press conference and say something deep and smart.’ Well, I can’t say anything.” Dragic may be a nine-year NBA veteran but Kokoskov, the first European to be a full-time assistant coach in the league, has spent 17 seasons there, after a brief stint at college level. He and Dragic worked together at the Phoenix Suns for four seasons (2008-11 and 2012-13) Earlier, Spain defeated Russia 93-85 to take third place, with 51 points coming from the Gasol brothers, Pau (26) and Marc (25). Alexey Shved led Russia with 18. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 17th, 2017

Bolton says he’s no longer allowed to see Trump – CNN News

A hawkish ally of Donald Trump claims he cannot see the President due to &'8220;staff changes&'8221; at the White House. John Bolton, a former US ambassador to the UN who at one point was a candidate to lead the State Department, claimed in a National Review op-ed published Monday that his plan for the US to exit the Iran nuclear deal had to be presented publicly, because staff changes at the White House have made &'8220;presenting it to President Trump impossible.&'8221; CNN has reached out to the White House for comment. His alleged snubbing is the latest development in the tug-of-war for influence over Trump's White House between firebrands such as Bolton and those who have taken a more moderate approach to foreign policy, such as Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Defense Secretary James Mattis. Bolton's op-ed comes days after Sebastian Gorka, who advocated a hawkish stance against terrorism, left his position as a White House adviser. Chief of staff John Kelly, who assumed the role in late July, has been conducting a review of the West Wing that includes assessing individual staffers' portfolios. In a memo drawn up after a July directive from Steve Bannon, the recently ousted White House chief strategist, Bolton pushes for selling the idea of leaving the Iran deal to the public in a &'8220;white paper&'8221; and lays out a strategy for the &'8220;campaign&'8221; and its &'8220;execution.&'8221; Bolton has been frustrated at the rise of more traditional foreign policy thinkers within the White House, such as Mattis and Tillerson, who have favored remaining in the deal. The agreement curbs Iran's nuclear weapons program in exchange for the lifting of sanctions. Iran remains under multiple sanctions for terrorism-related activities. &'8220;Trump can and should free America from this execrable deal at the earliest opportunity,&'8221; Bolton writes. Where proponents of the deal, including lawmakers and former Obama administration officials, see the pact as a way to get visibility on Iran's nuclear activities, and, at least for the time being, stop it's nuclear program, Bolton sees only danger. &'8220;The JCPOA is a threat to US national-security interests, growing more serious by the day,&'8221; Bolton writes, though he doesn't offer evidence. &'8220;If the President decides to abrogate the JCPOA, a comprehensive plan must be developed and executed to build domestic and international support for the new policy.&'8221; His memo, he says, fills that function. &'8220;It is only five pages long, but like instant coffee, it can be readily expanded to a comprehensive, 100-page playbook if the administration were to decide to leave the Iran agreement,&'8221; Bolton writes. He adds that there is no need to wait for the next deadline in October, when the US must next certify that Iran is sticking to the deal. The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, known as the JCPOA, was an international agreement hammered out over 20 arduous months of negotiations. China, France, Germany, Russia, the UK, the US, the EU and Iran reached a deal in July 2015 and it was implemented in January 2016. The UN's International Atomic Energy Agency has regular access to nuclear sites inside Iran and verifies that it is implementing its side of the deal; in exchange, the US, UN and EU lifted nuclear related sanctions. Every 90 days, the US president must certify that Iran is keeping up its end of the deal. Trump campaigned against the deal and continues to criticize it, but because Iran is complying, he has certified it twice on the advice of his national security staff. But officials in his administration have clearly been looking for ways to find wiggle room to get out of the deal. Some, like US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley, have used the line that Iran is not complying with the &'8220;spirit&'8221; of the deal, pointing to Tehran's activities in the region, including its support for Houthi rebels in Yemen and its backing of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. Bolton says that Trump can bolster his case for abrogating the deal &'8220;by providing new, declassified information on Iran's unacceptable behavior around the world.&'8221; These activities, though, are not part of the JCPOA, deliberately left as a separate issue by the Obama administration and the other international negotiators, who said that to include every single gripe with Iran would make negotiations too unwieldy to resolve. Some proponents of the deal, watching the Trump administration's moves, are already campaigning to keep it. They point to the security consequences of an Iran without constraints on its nuclear weapons program and to the economic fallout as European and Asian firms would likely continue to do business with Tehran while US firms are shut out. &'8220;Accordingly,&'8221; Bolton writes, &'8220;we must explain the grave threat to the US and our allies, particularly Israel.&'8221; But many in Israel's security establishment argue for keeping the deal in place, and making sure its implementation is as rigorous as possible. Bolton makes the case for a four-step campaign that begins with &'8220;early, quiet consultations with key players such as the UK, France, Germany, Israel and Saudi Arabia, to tell them we are going to abrogate the deal based on outright violations and other unacceptable Iranian behavior, and seek their input.&'8221; That would be followed by a detailed white paper that includes declassified intelligence explaining why the deal hurts US security interests; a diplomatic campaign against the deal, especially in Europe and the Middle East; and efforts to sway lawmakers and the [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsAug 30th, 2017

Zimbabwe s first lady accused of assault in South Africa

JOHANNESBURG — The wife of Zimbabwe's president has been accused of assaulting a young woman at an upscale Johannesburg hotel, and local media reported that.....»»

Category: worldSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 15th, 2017

Taylor Swift in court as trial begins in groping case

Taylor Swift in court as trial begins in groping case.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsAug 8th, 2017

Taylor Swift in court as trial begins in groping case

Taylor Swift in court as trial begins in groping case.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 8th, 2017

Imports strut wares as PBA Gov Cup begins

Games today (Smart-Araneta Coliseum) 4:15 p.m. – Kia (Picanto) vs Phoenix.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 18th, 2017

Mindanao power spot market begins trial run

MANILA, Philippines - Philippine Electricity Market Corp......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 29th, 2017

Napoles seeks exclusion of affidavits as Revilla's plunder trial begins - BusinessWorld Online Edition

Napoles seeks exclusion of affidavits as Revilla's plunder trial begins - BusinessWorld Online Edition.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJun 22nd, 2017

Cosby won't testify, defense rests in sex assault trial

Cosby won't testify, defense rests in sex assault trial.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 13th, 2017

Jury to deliberate second day in Cosby sexual assault trial

Jury to deliberate second day in Cosby sexual assault trial.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJun 13th, 2017

Cosby admitted he was a ‘sick man,’ mother tells sex-assault trial

Cosby admitted he was a ‘sick man,’ mother tells sex-assault trial.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJun 8th, 2017

Cosby admitted he was a ‘sick man,’ mother tells sex-assault trial

Cosby admitted he was a ‘sick man,’ mother tells sex-assault trial.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJun 8th, 2017

Bill Cosby goes on trial for sexual assault

Bill Cosby goes on trial for sexual assault.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 6th, 2017

Tearful testimony as Cosby sexual assault trial opens

Tearful testimony as Cosby sexual assault trial opens.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 6th, 2017

Bill Cosby goes on trial for sexual assault

Bill Cosby goes on trial for sexual assault.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJun 5th, 2017

Bill Cosby goes on trial for sexual assault

Bill Cosby goes on trial for sexual assault.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJun 2nd, 2017

Cosby goes on trial for indecent assault

Cosby goes on trial for indecent assault.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJun 2nd, 2017