Advertisements


Philippines becoming more attractive to Chinese firms — report

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines is becoming a more attractive destination for Chinese investments, according to a report by the Economist Intelligence Source link link: Philippines becoming more attractive to Chinese firms — report.....»»

Category: newsSource: manilainformer manilainformerDec 7th, 2017

Philippines becoming more attractive to Chinese firms — report

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines is becoming a more attractive destination for Chinese investments, according to a report by the Economist Intelligence Source link link: Philippines becoming more attractive to Chinese firms — report.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 7th, 2017

PH will definitely object to possible nuclear plans in South China Sea-DND

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said the Philippines will 'definitely object' to the possibility of Chinese nuclear deployment in the South China Sea after Pentagon released a report s.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsAug 27th, 2018

Cops fail to arrest Peter Lim in his Cebu homes

MANILA, Philippines – Arresting cops failed to find alleged drug lord Peter Lim in Cebu City on Monday, August 20. According to a DZBB report, cops armed with an arrest warrant went to Lim's homes in barangays Banilad and Mabolo, but the Chinese businessman was nowhere to be found. Why search for him? Peter ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 20th, 2018

2 Chinese nationals shot dead along Taft Avenue

MANILA, Philippines – Two Chinese nationals were shot dead by still unidentified riding-in-tandem gunmen on Saturday, August 18, along Taft Avenue in Ermita, Manila. In an initial report released by the Manila Police District, the two men were identified as: Yi Shou Yan, 35, male, single, and resident of 479 Jaboneros St, ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 18th, 2018

Report accuses China firms over ozone-depleting gas

BEIJING, China – An environmental pressure group claimed on Monday, July 9, that Chinese factories are illegally using ozone-depleting CFCs, which have recently seen a spike in emissions that has baffled scientists. The Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) campaign group said 18 factories in 10 Chinese provinces they looked into admitted to ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 9th, 2018

Romeo returns to international play as Gilas lineup vs Chinese Taipei revealed

MANILA, Philippines – Terrence Romeo will be making his keenly-awaited return to the international scene as Gilas Pilipinas' 12-man lineup against Chinese Taipei was revealed on Thursday, June 28.  In a report by ESPN5's JC Ancis , Romeo, after missing the first two windows of the Asian Qualifiers for the 2019 FIBA World ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 28th, 2018

Philippines asks China to stop coast guard from taking fishermen’s catch in Scarborough

MANILA — The Philippines said on Monday it has asked Beijing to stop the Chinese coast guard from taking the catch of Filipino fishermen in the disputed Scarborough Shoal, describing such actions as unacceptable. Local broadcaster GMA News last week aired a report that said Chinese coast guard patrols had made a habit of taking the best catches […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsJun 12th, 2018

Chinese coast guard continue to harass Filipino fishermen in Scarborough — report

Despite the "red lines" that the Philippines has set for China, the Chinese continue to harass Filipino fishermen in Panatag or Scarborough Shoal......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 8th, 2018

Palace: Phl not taking soft stance on China

The Palace denied it is going soft on China amid reports of a resumption of build-up over disputed portions of the South China Sea (SCS) that foreign ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) have criticized. Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said the Philippines shares Asean leaders’ concern regarding China’s aggressive actions on what is said to be the world’s busiest waterways.The recently concluded Asean foreign and defense ministers in Singapore issued a statement that did not name China but said that “land reclamations and activities in the area . . . have eroded trust and confidence, increased tensions and may undermine peace, security and stability in the region.” The Asean ministers resolved to expedite the code of conduct (CoC) on how to negotiate with China regarding overlapping maritime claims.“Asean’s concern on the Chinese build-up is right because Asean, as a regional bloc, wants to adhere to discussions pertaining to the code of conduct,” Roque said.“We cannot be not joining the call because the Philippines is one of those concerned in this campaign,” he added.Roque also disputed views that Manila is not among those insistent in pressing Beijing to speed up the CoC drafting. “We are not being too soft (on China) but we have an established policy on that. Number one, of course, is we are one with Asean in recognizing that this is a concern for all Asean countries. Particularly that of the freedom of navigation in the West Philippine Sea,” Roque said.“Our common concern is peace security and stability in one of the world’s busiest sea lanes,” he added.During Manila’s hosting of the Asean last year, President Duterte did not cite the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) ruling that nullified Beijing’s sweeping claim over nearly the entire South China Sea.It was the Philippine government that contested China’s nine-dash-line claim before the Hague court. China, however, refuses to recognize it.Apart from the Philippines, other Asean countries also have overlapping claims at the South China Sea including Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei.Reclamation to continueChina in its known mouthpiece Global Times said Beijing is concentrating on civil and not military construction on islands in the South China Sea but insisted that the Chinese “will expand land reclamation.”“Most of the construction on islands in the South China Sea were completed in 2015 and the pace then slowed. Civilian facility construction is the major focus of the South China Sea islands building and the portion of defense deployment is relatively small,” Global Times quoted Chen Xiangmiao, a research fellow at the National Institute for the South China Sea.The size of some South China Sea islands will be further expanded in future through more dredging in the South China Sea region, Chen said.The relationship between China and other Southeast Asian countries, such as the Philippines, has becalmed in recent years, providing a golden opportunity for China to upgrade these areas, he said.China and the Philippines are enjoying good terms as President Rodrigo Duterte maintains a friendly policy toward China, Chen said. “But there is still some domestic pressure that urges Duterte to take a tough stance on China and the South China Sea issue,” Chen said.Foreign media like to hype China’s construction in the South China Sea as they try to make excuses to prevent China’s activities in this region, Zhuang Guotu, head of Xiamen University’s Southeast Asian Studies Center, told the Global Times.“China has the right to build whatever it needs within its territory,” Zhuang said.China’s military deployment in the South China Sea region was “not for military expansion,” but to defend its security and interests, he said.Zhuang and Chen warned the US is the biggest threat to stability in the South China Sea.“The US, Australia, Japan and other allies will constantly provoke China over this issue and that will incite other neighboring South China Sea countries to do the same,” Zhuang said.China’s construction projects in the region covered about 290,000 square meters in 2017, including new facilities for underground storage, administrative buildings and large radar, according to a report released in December on the nanhai.haiwainet.cn website run by the National Marine Data and Information Service and People’s Daily Overseas edition. No foreign vessels at BenhamThe Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has not monitored any foreign vessels at the Philippine Rise, formerly known as Benham Rise, during its latest patrol in the area. Lt. Col. Isagani Nato, AFP-Northern Luzon Command (Nolcom) spokesman, said that based on the latest patrol conducted by Nolcom troops, there was no presence of foreign ships at Philippine Rise.“As of now, we don’t have a report that there is presence (of foreign vessels) in Benham Rise,” said Nato.Earlier, Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol announced that President Duterte has banned foreign ships at the Philippine Rise and ordered the military to patrol the area.The announcement came following an uproar from government critics after the Duterte administration allowed the Chinese to conduct scientific research at the Philippine Rise.Nato, however, said that Nolcom is yet to receive official order regarding the matter.But Nato maintained that with or without the latest directive, Nolcom has regularly conducted air and maritime patrols along Philippine Rise.Apart from Nolcom, the Air Force and the Philippine Navy, Nato said that the Philippine Coast Guard, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) and the Philippine National Police-Maritime Group (PNP-MG) also conduct their own patrol in the area.He said the Nolcom uses air and naval assets of the Navy and the Air Force units under its jurisdiction.“We conduct our patrols regularly. It is a mandate of Nolcom forces so that is continuous with or without the directive from higher ups,” said Nato.According to Nato, Nolcom conducts three to four maritime and air patrol at Philippine Rise per month as part of the government efforts to secure the country’s maritime domain.ML ruling lauded, hitThe Supreme Court’s (SC) decision to uphold Mr. Duterte’s year-long martial law extension in Mindanao also drew mixed reactions.The High Court on Tuesday voted 10-5 junking militant groups’ petition and finding “sufficient factual basis” to extend martial law and suspend the privilege of wirt of habeas corpus in Mindanao until December 31, 2018.Roque welcomed the ruling saying that it affirms the need to continue protecting citizens from the threat of terrorist groups, primarily Islamic State (IS)-inspired fanatics.But for Left-leaning groups who petitioned the SC to lift martial law, the court decision opens up more crackdowns and human rights violations.The Palace official has insisted that human rights will be respected amid security operations.“The SC ruling underscores the unity of the whole government in its bid to defeat terrorism and prevent the spread in other parts of the country of DIWW and other like-minded local and foreign terrorist groups,” Roque said.“The majority of votes is a manifestation of confidence on law enforcement agencies that they shall, like they had been doing before, continue to protect our people, secure Mindanao, and pursue the bigger task of rehabilitation while upholding the rule of law, Human Rights, and International Humanitarian Law,” he added.Human rights watchdog Karapatan sees the contrary in the government’s motives, saying that the year-long military rule will boost attacks on the people.The continuous implementation of martial law in Mindanao will allow the unhampered massive rehabilitation in war-torn Marawi City and boost the security forces campaign to finish off the rebellion, the Department of National Defense (DND) said. In a statement, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said that the Supreme Court’s decision affirming the constitutionality of the one-year extension of martial law in Mindanao will definitely boost government efforts to rebuild Marawi City and address continuing rebellion.The defense chief welcomed the SC decision as a vote of confidence to the government security forces.“The DND – AFP is grateful for the trust and confidence of our public institutions and the support of the Filipino people,” said Lorenzana. Mario J. Mallari.....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJun 7th, 2018

Facebook granted Chinese electronics firms access to user data

MANILA, Philippines - In the wake of the controversial Cambridge Analytica scandal, The New York Times reported that Facebook, on Tuesday, June 5 confirmed that at least four Chinese electronics firms were granted private access to user data. The social media giant disclosed that it has data-sharing ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 6th, 2018

Chinese delegation expresses interest in PHL investment

CHINESE firms are demonstrating increased interest in doing business in the Philippines due to the growing economy, the Department of Finance (DoF) said. In a statement, the DoF said that the All-China Federation of Commerce and Industry (ACFCI) expressed interest in a meeting with Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III on May 24. “I bring […] The post Chinese delegation expresses interest in PHL investment appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMay 27th, 2018

BoI: Chinese firms bullish on investing

Chinese companies remain upbeat about investing in the Philippines with a 30-man delegation recently in the country to scout for opportunities, the Board of Investments said on Friday. The Chinese delegation, led by Director Wang Kewen of the China Overseas Development Association (CODA), was said to be interested in the infrastructure, energy, industrial parks and [...] The post BoI: Chinese firms bullish on investing appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMay 26th, 2018

More firms using electricity from renewables

More companies in 75 countries across the world, including the Philippines, are getting their electricity from renewable energy sources and corporate demand is expected to continue rising.   The International Renewable Energy Agency (Irena) said in a new report such companies consumed 465 million megawatt-hours (mWh) of power from renewable sources last year.   The Abu Dhabi-based Irena said such volume of power was enough to power a country the size of France.   In its 82-page "Corporate Sourcing of Renewables" report, Irena said that with the continued decline in the costs of renewables, corporate demand will continue to increase as companies sought to ...Keep on reading: More firms using electricity from renewables.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 25th, 2018

Roque on blacklisted Chinese firms, PH in competitive rankings, House on BBL | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler: Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque downplays concerns over the possible involvement in Marawi rehabilitation of two Chinese firms blacklisted by the World Bank for corrupt practices.  The Philippines drops 9 notches to 50th spot out of 63 economies in this year’s World Competitiveness Yearbook rankings of the International ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 24th, 2018

China firms in Marawi rehab once blacklisted by World Bank

MANILA, Philippines – Two Chinese companies poised to win a P17.2-billion contract to rehabilitate the former battle area in Marawi City were once blacklisted by the World Bank over corrupt practices in the Philippines. China State Construction Engineering Corporation (CSCEC) and China Geo Engineering Corporation (CGC) allegedly colluded with ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 14th, 2018

DPWH, Chinese firms sign contract for 2 Pasig River bridges

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and two Chinese firms signed a contract on Friday, April 27, to implement two bridge projects along the Pasig River. The contract, worth ¥643.458 million or around P5.27 billion, is for the survey, design, and construction of the Binondo-Intramuros ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 28th, 2018

China s men only job culture slammed in new report

HONG KONG – Leading Chinese firms including e-commerce giant Alibaba were heavily criticized Monday, April 23, for gender discrimination in job adverts in a new report which said the landscape for the female workforce in China was deteriorating. The report by campaign group Human Rights Watch, entitled "Only Men Need Apply: ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 23rd, 2018

Italian firms stay bullish in Philippines amid perks issue

The Philippines remains as an attractive investment destination for Italian companies amid fears caused by government plans to rationalize existing fiscal incentives......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 22nd, 2018

Indonesia s Go-Jek eyes Philippine ride-hailing market

MANILA, Philippines – Indonesia-based Go-Jek and two more local firms are interested to enter the Philippine ride-hailing market, a few weeks after California-based Uber left the country. Confirming a Reuters report , Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) Board Member Aileen Lizada told Rappler that Go-Jek ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 22nd, 2018

Why Canada remains attractive to international students

  WINNIPEG, Manitoba -- Canada has increasingly become an attractive destination for international students for two major reasons, according to a Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) 2017 report: relatively attractive tuition fees and a reputation for quality education. The report stated that China and India were the largest source countries of international students in Canada. In 2016, there were 132,000 Chinese students and 80,000 students from India. The Chinese students comprised nearly one-third of all international students in the coutry. Other source countries of international students are France, Nigeria, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, and Vietnam. Among OECD (Organisation for Eco...Keep on reading: Why Canada remains attractive to international students.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 21st, 2018