Advertisements


PH not filing new case vs. China

PH not filing new case vs. China.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource: pep pepJun 13th, 2018

Del Rosario laments draft ASEAN statement on sea row

MANILA, Philippines — Former Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario, who led the Philippines in filing an arbitration case against China, expressed disappointm.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 26th, 2017

Aquino, former Cabinet officials, senators sued over DAP

Former president Benigno Aquino III, some of his Cabinet officials, and incumbent opposition senators face 274 counts of alleged malversation of public funds acquired through the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP). Truth and Justice Coalition President Greco Belgica led the filing of the complaints at the Office of the Ombudsman on Monday. "So nag-file po tayo ngayon ng ating kaso against DAP [...] dahil sa pagkaka-lustay nila ng pera ng taumbayan, para i-impeach ang Chief Justice na si Renato Corona," Belgica, who also heads the Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC), told reporters. [We filed a case today against DAP... because they misappropriated public fund...Keep on reading: Aquino, former Cabinet officials, senators sued over DAP.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 15th, 2018

Bill Cosby switches up legal team with appeal looming

PHILADELPHIA --- Bill Cosby is switching up his legal team as he looks to appeal his conviction and three- to 10-year sentence in his Pennsylvania sex assault case. A court filing Friday says the 81-year-old Cosby is replacing the suburban Philadelphia lawyer who handled his sentencing with a pair of criminal defense attorneys. Joseph Green is exiting after about four months on Cosby's defense team. The new lawyers are Brian Perry and Kristen Weisenberger of Harrisburg. Another lawyer, Peter Goldberger, worked with Green on a motion last week challenging the outcome of the case, a first step toward an appeal. More than a dozen lawyers have come and gone from the case, inc...Keep on reading: Bill Cosby switches up legal team with appeal looming.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 13th, 2018

‘King,’ ‘rock star,’ wannabes join Senate race

  A "king," a supposed ex-beau of a former presidential communications official, a self-proclaimed husband of Kris Aquino and an advocate of "hao-siao," or bogus journalists.   Dozens of senatorial aspirants trooped to the head office of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) in Intramuros, Manila, on Thursday to make their case that they should be elected to the 18th Congress in next year's midterm elections.   Noisy, banner-waving supporters cheered for them.   In an impassioned speech at the start of the five-day filing of certificates of candidacy (COCs), "King Salam" Emilio Delfin Lacan Luisong Tagean said it was time the Philippines had i...Keep on reading: ‘King,’ ‘rock star,’ wannabes join Senate race.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 12th, 2018

PACC files case of non-filing of SALN vs CamSur lawmaker

PACC files case of non-filing of SALN vs CamSur lawmaker.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsOct 9th, 2018

Interpol chief goes ‘missing’

PARIS — He left his home in Lyon, France, for a visit to his homeland and then vanished — putting the International Criminal Police Organization, best known as Interpol, at the center of its own missing persons case. Meng Hongwei, Interpol’s president, boarded a plane and arrived in China, according to a French judicial official. […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsOct 6th, 2018

LP-led bloc takes House minority leadership question to SC

THE MINORITY bloc in the House of Representatives led by the opposition Liberal Party (LP) has formally challenged the minority leadership before the Supreme Court (SC), filing a case on Friday, Oct. 5. The post LP-led bloc takes House minority leadership question to SC appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsOct 5th, 2018

Rematch Kings: Team Lakay continues to reign supreme in high-stakes rematch situations

One of the things that the past year has proven is that Team Lakay knows how to make the most of a second opportunity, even more so when the stakes are at their absolute highest.   In 2018, the Benguet-based warriors have found themselves in rematches with championships on the line thrice, and each time, they have come out with gold wrapped around their waists. Geje “Gravity” Eustaquio kicked off the year with a rematch against former ONE Flyweight World Champion Kairat Akhmetov in January, a do-over of their controversial 2017 meeting that saw Akhmetov win via split decision. With the ONE Interim Flyweight World Championship on the line in their second encounter, Eustaquio bested Akhmetov via unanimous decision to avenge his 2017 loss, but more importantly become a world champion for the first time. In June of the same year, Eustaquio found himself in yet another rematch, this time against then-reigning ONE Flyweight World Champion Adriano Moraes in a title-unification bout. Again, when it mattered most, Eustaquio pulled out all the stops and outworked Moraes en route to a five-round unanimous decision victory to leave Macau, China as the new undisputed ONE Flyweight World Champion. “They say victory is sweeter the second time around,” said Eustaquio, who has earned the moniker of “The King of the Rematch”, “In my case, I usually perform better and come out victorious in rematches because I’ve already gotten a feel for my opponent.” “I also believe that my development is faster than that of my opponent, which is why I outperform them when we share the cage again,” he added. The flyweight star has won all three of his career rematches so far, including one non-title rematch against Thailand’s Anatpong “Mak” Bunrad. But it is not just Eustaquio who has found success the second time around. Just last 22 September in Jakarta, Indonesia, strawweight star Joshua “The Passion” Pacio triumphantly avenged the first loss of his career by edging out Japanese grappling sensation Yoshitaka Naito via unanimous decision after five rounds to be crowned the new ONE Strawweight World Champion. It was a rematch of their 2016 encounter for the strawweight title, which resulted in a third-round submission win for Naito. Before the year comes to a close, one more Team Lakay member will figure in his own rematch with a world championship at stake. Hoping to follow in his teammates’ footsteps is reigning ONE Interim Bantamweight World Champion Kevin “The Silencer” Belingon, who meets reigning ONE Bantamweight World Champion Bibiano Fernandes in a title-unification bout at ONE: HEART OF THE LION on Friday, 9 November in Singapore. More than finally capturing a world title, Belingon is determined to even the score with Fernandes, who was dominant in their first encounter back in 2016. “I am super excited. Finally the long wait is over, and now I’m fighting Bibiano Fernandes for the undisputed bantamweight title. Ever since the night I lost to him the first time in China, this moment has been all that I have looked forward to,” Belingon expressed......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 5th, 2018

Chinese actress Fan Bingbing breaks silence on tax case

MANILA, Philippines  – After a long absence from social media, Chinese actress Fan Bingbing posted a statement for the first time on a tax case filed against her. Fan, who became famous in China and in Hollywood for her role in X-Men: Days of Future Past, took to Weibo on Thursday, October ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 4th, 2018

ONE Championship: Eduard Folayang gets ONE Lightweight World Championship shot in Manila this November

Team Lakay lightweight star Eduard Folayang will have the opportunity to become a two-time ONE Lightweight World Champion when meets Singaporean Amir Khan for the vacant world title on ONE Championship's November card in Manila.  ONE Championship chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong took to Facebook to make the massive announcement regarding lightweight crown.  "I am excited to announce that Eduard Landslide Folayang and Amir Khanwill face each other for the ONE Lightweight World Championship on November 23 in Manila!" Sityodtong's post read. "The stakes could not be any higher for both warriors in what will be the biggest fight of their careers. Eduard wants to reclaim his title and go down as the greatest Filipino martial artist in history. Amir wants to become Singapore's first homegrown World Champion in history, and stamp his legacy as the greatest Singaporean martial artist the world has ever seen." The announcment comes just days after it was revealed that two-division champion Martin Nguyen was forced to relinquish the title after an injury left him unable to defend the title.  (READ: Martin Nguyen relinquishes ONE Lightweight World Championship) The 33-year old Folayang first captured the ONE title back in 2016 with a third-round destruction of long-time champion and Japanese MMA legend Shinya Aoki in Singapore. Folayang would lose the title to Nguyen a year later.  The Team Lakay star is currently riding a two-fight winning streak with back-to-back unanimous decision wins over a pair of gritty Russian grapplers.  The 23-year old Khan on the other hand, is coming of an impressive first-round submisison win over Folayang's Team Lakay teammate Honorio Banario in Shanghai, China back in early-September. Khan is also currently riding a two-fight winning streak and will be challenging for the world title for the first time in his career.  Sityodtong also clarified the decision to have Folayang and Khan battle for the title instead of putting it up for grabs during the upcoming lightweight title-eliminator bout between former champion Aoki and former world title challenger Ev Ting set for October 6th in Bangkok, Thailand.  "On a related note, we did debate making the October 6 bout between Ev Ting and Shinya Aoki a world title bout, but decided against it. They have both spent months preparing for a 3 round non-title fight, and it would have been unfair to ask them to do a 5 round title fight on such short notice." He would go on to announce that the winner of the Folayang-Khan contest will face the winner of the Aoki-Ting with the world title on the line in Japan in 2019.  "Barring any injuries or unforeseen circumstances, I fully expect the winner between Ev and Shinya to face the winner between Eduard and Amir in Tokyo." A win for Folayang on November could mean Team Lakay's fourth undisputed world championship in 2018. Geje Eustaquio is the current reigning ONE Flyweight World Champion, while Joshua Pacio captured the ONE Strawweight World Championshp just last September in Jakarta.  ONE Interim Bantamweight World Champion Kevin Belingon will have the chance to unify the titles when he takes on Bibiano Fernandes in Singapore on November 9th.  By the end of 2018, Team Lakay's trophy case could very well be laden with ONE world championship gold. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 1st, 2018

Roque mulls filing graft raps vs former NFA chief over rice woes

"If nobody files a case, I myself would. I will file not just technical malversation but graft...".....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 25th, 2018

Map that debunked China’s historical sea claims featured in new maritime exhibit

A replica of an ancient map that debunked China's historical claims in the South China Sea is one of the features of a new mobile museum that hopes to showcase the Philippines' maritime heritage. The Murillo Velarde 1734 Map, dubbed as the "mother of all Philippine maps," was one of the documents presented by the Philippines to disprove China's nine-dash-line claims in the South China Sea, when it filed a case against the Asian giant in the international court. The Permanent Court of Arbitration had declared China's massive and historical claims as invalid in 2016, but the latter has refused to accept the ruling. READ: Philippines wins arbitration case vs. China over South C...Keep on reading: Map that debunked China’s historical sea claims featured in new maritime exhibit.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 25th, 2018

Trillanes eyes President’s son as hostile witness in drug probe

Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV on Sunday said Paolo Duterte's filing libel charges against him had given him a chance to call the son of President Rodrigo Duterte as a hostile witness in a Senate drug smuggling inquiry. A hostile witness is someone who is called to an investigation but refuses to tell the truth. In a statement, Trillanes said Paolo Duterte's legal actions would enable him to pressure the resigned vice mayor of Davao City to open his bank accounts. Duterte has filed libel charges against Trillanes for linking him to the smuggling into the Philippines of "shabu" (crystal meth) worth P6.4 billion from China and for alleging that he and his brother-in-law, lawyer Manases...Keep on reading: Trillanes eyes President’s son as hostile witness in drug probe.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 23rd, 2018

Trillanes welcomes filing of libel case to call Paolo Duterte as hostile witness

A defiant Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV said he is looking forward to the start of the libel case filed against him by Paolo “Polong” Duterte as this would be his chance to prove his own allegations against the former Davao vice mayor’s involvement in the illegal drug trade and the Duterte family’s questionable wealth. Trillanes… link: Trillanes welcomes filing of libel case to call Paolo Duterte as hostile witness.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsSep 23rd, 2018

Torture case filed vs Saudi employer who forced OFW to drink bleach – DFA

Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said Friday authorities in Saudi Arabia have filed a torture case against the employer of a Filipino domestic helper, who was forced to drink bleaching fluid after reportedly making a mistake in preparing tea.   "We would like to thank authorities in Saudi Arabia for filing the necessary charges against the employer who abused our kababayan. We are counting on our Saudi friends in ensuring that our kababayan would be able to obtain justice for the unthinkable deed committed against her," Cayetano said in a statement.   The DFA chief cited a report of Philippine consul general Edgar Badajos in Jeddah, stating that authorities in ...Keep on reading: Torture case filed vs Saudi employer who forced OFW to drink bleach – DFA.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 21st, 2018

Makati court wants authenticated copy of 2011 article on Trillanes filing of amnesty

The Makati court handling the government’s plea for a warrant against Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV over a rebellion case has ordered GMA News to provide a copy of a news article that was marked as evidence in the hearing last week......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 19th, 2018

CHED s De Vera dares Vitriolo to file charges vs all comissioners

MANILA, Philippines – Commission on Higher Education (CHED) Officer-in-Charge Prospero De Vera III said former CHED executive director Julito Vitriolo should file a case against all CHED commissioners if he thinks he is being kept from reassuming his post . De Vera made the challenge in response to Vitriolo’s move filing criminal ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 18th, 2018

US backtracks on Russian spy suspect offering sex for access

WASHINGTON --- Federal prosecutors are backtracking on their allegation that a Russian woman accused of working as a secret agent offered to trade sex for access, according to a Justice Department court filing. Prosecutors had earlier accused Maria Butina, a gun rights activist in U.S. custody on charges she worked as a covert agent and tried to establish back-channel lines of communication to the Kremlin, of offering to exchange sex for a position with a special interest organization. The salacious allegation, which immediately escalated the public interest in the case, was based on a series of text messages to and from Butina and other information that prosecutors say they ha...Keep on reading: US backtracks on Russian spy suspect offering sex for access.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 9th, 2018

DOJ confirms Valenzuela court’s dismissal of P6.4B shabu case

The Valenzuela Regional Trial Court has affirmed its decision dismissing the drug charges filed against nine individuals involved in the alleged shipment of P6.4billion worth of illegal drugs from China last year. “I have been informed that our motion for reconsideration was denied,” Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said on Friday. The Valenzuela RTC Branch 284… link: DOJ confirms Valenzuela court’s dismissal of P6.4B shabu case.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsSep 7th, 2018

Prosecutors ask for accusers to testify at Cosby sentencing

PHILADELPHIA (AP) --- Prosecutors in the sexual assault case against Bill Cosby asked a judge Tuesday to allow testimony at his sentencing hearing about uncharged criminal conduct. A Montgomery County prosecutor asked permission to present multiple witnesses who he expects will testify that Cosby drugged and or sexually assaulted them. Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 24, when the judge is also expected to hear arguments on whether to accept a recommendation to classify Cosby as a sexually violent predator. It was unclear who or how many witnesses District Attorney Kevin Steele planned to call, but the filing said Cosby has not been charged with crimes related to their claims....Keep on reading: Prosecutors ask for accusers to testify at Cosby sentencing.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 5th, 2018