Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




‘NKorea submarine missiles not ready until 2018’

SEOUL: North Korea is making progress on a submarine-launched ballistic missile system but any deployment of the technology is years away, a US think tank said, as the UN Security Council promised action over Pyongyang’s latest test. The US-Korea I.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsAug 27th, 2016

NKorea submarine missiles not ready until 2018 – experts

SEOUL: North Korea is making progress on a submarine-launched ballistic missile system but any deployment of the technology is years away, a US think tank said, as the UN Security Council promised action over Pyongyang's latest test. The US-Korea Institut.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsAug 27th, 2016

Hikvision, surveillance products expert, sets up shop in Cebu

In their dedication towards progress and innovation, Hikvision, the world’s largest supplier of surveillance cameras, launches its new office here at the Queen City of the South — Cebu. The move is part of their plan to strengthen their presence in the country with new innovation and technology ranging from security cameras to other surveillance […] The post Hikvision, surveillance products expert, sets up shop in Cebu appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 18th, 2019

Spieth tries to stay close to Koepka at PGA Championship

By Doug Ferguson, Associated Press FARMINGDALE, N.Y. (AP) — Jordan Spieth doesn't feel as though his confidence is getting higher. All that mattered was his score getting lower. Spieth did his best to stay within range of Brooks Koepka at the PGA Championship on Friday by making five birdies over his last 11 holes for a 4-under 66 and his lowest 36-hole score in a major since he won the British Open two years ago. He had to wait on Koepka playing in the afternoon to see how close he could stay. But this was an important step for Spieth, who hasn't won since his 2017 British Open victory gave him the third leg of the career Grand Slam, which he can complete by winning the PGA. That was still far from his mind. "I haven't been in contention on a Sunday since The Open last year," said Spieth, who shared the 54-hole lead at Carnoustie and tied for sixth. "And if I'm able to put some good work in tomorrow, I will be in contention on Sunday. And at that point, it will be just more of trying to win a golf tournament. It won't matter to me what tournament it is." It will be proof to Spieth that his struggles over the last year — he even used the words "bit of a slump" earlier this week — are finally turning in his favor. He was at 5-under 135, one shot ahead of Dustin Johnson (67) and Daniel Berger (66) among those who finished early. Koepka started with a 7-under 63, after becoming the only player to post 63 in the same major twice. He opened with three birdies over the opening four-hole stretch at Bethpage Black and threatened to pull away. Tiger Woods, playing in the same group as Koepka, started at 2 over and was trying to make sure he at least made the cut. Spieth has been showing signs of making progress, only to be done in by one round or a nine-hole stretch. It looked as though that might be the case Friday when he made bogey from the right rough on the 15th and bogey from the left rough on the 16th, putting him 1 over for his round. The key moment was a 6-iron to 8 feet for birdie on the par-3 17th, mainly because it got him back to even after the toughest stretch. "My goal in turning was try and get to a few under for the championship," Spieth said. "You don't expect Brooks to fall at all, so I thought I needed to be within five or six or seven to feel like I had a chance on the weekend." He was helped by his tidy short game. Spieth used his putter only 13 times over the last 11 holes, making five birdies and four par saves, only from about 12 feet after finding a bunker on the par-3 third. Berger is best known in these parts for his 66 in the third round at Shinnecock Hills in the U.S. Open last year that put him in the final group. He dropped only one shot early in his round at No. 12. Johnson played alongside Spieth and reached 5 under for the tournament approaching the 18th, only to miss the fairway and go over the green. He also three-putted from long range on the par-3 third, but made a 20-foot birdie putt late in his round at No. 7 for a 67. "The afternoon guys still got 18 holes to play," Johnson said. "I feel like I'm in a good position. I'm happy with where I'm at no matter what the lead is after today. I'm going to be somewhere around it or close enough to where with 36 holes left, I'm OK." Danny Lee was among the few early starters who failed to take advantage. He opened with a 64 and was one shot behind Koepka, and he never got any closer. Lee made a pair of double bogeys on the back nine for a 41, and salvaged a 74 to join a group at 2-under 138. Rory McIlroy was happy to still have any chance at all. He started with two double bogeys and a bogey and was 7 over for the championship through three holes when he rallied with four birdies over his last six holes for a 71. Spieth did enough to believe the worst days of his slump are behind him. It was only in the last few weeks that he felt comfortable enough to return to a familiar philosophy: aim small, miss small. "I'm not 100% hitting it as well as I did a couple of years ago," Spieth said. "But I'm hitting it a lot better than I did the end of last year, beginning of this year." And the putting looks as strong as ever. So when someone suggested Spieth looked freer than he has lately, he smiled and said, "When you're making everything you look at, anybody is going to walk around feeling pretty free.".....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 18th, 2019

Another Japanese Destroyer to Visit SBMA

The JS Samidare (DD-106), a Murasame-class destroyer of the Japan Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF), will dock at the Alava Wharf of Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) in Olongapo City for a goodwill visit from Friday to Sunday. Captain Jonathan Zata, Philippine Navy spokesperson, said the ship will be dropping its anchor around 9 a.m. […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsMay 16th, 2019
Category: newsSource:  manila_shimbunRelated NewsMay 10th, 2019

IN PHOTOS: PH, U.S., Japan, India flex muscles in South China Sea

MANILA, Philippines – Navies from the Philippines, United States, India, and Japan flexed their muscles in the disputed South China Sea after coming together for the ASEAN-Plus Defense Ministers' Meeting Maritime Security Field Training Exercise (ADMM-Plus MARSEC FTX) 2019 in Busan, South Korea. "Navies from the Philippines, India, Japan, and the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 9th, 2019

Asean, allies open Naval exercises in South Korea

MILITARY exercises between the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) and its allies formally began on Wednesday in Busan, South Korea with a focus on maritime security. Capt. Roy Vincent…READ The post Asean, allies open Naval exercises in South Korea appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMay 1st, 2019

Declare South China Sea a ‘global common’ — expert

Instead engaging in military posturing to press maritime claims, a defense and security expert suggested all claimant states should agree to declare the entire South China Sea as a global common......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 27th, 2019

Japan pledges fresh aid to Vietnam for security, maritime affairs

Japan pledges fresh aid to Vietnam for security, maritime affairs.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 17th, 2017

US envoy meets Duterte, vows support to PH

Just a few days before the assumption of US President-elect Donald Trump, the United States has pledged to continue supporting the Philippines in the areas of maritime security, law enforcement, and development aid to Mindanao, among others, as part of their solid bilateral relations......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 16th, 2017

US backs Phl law enforcement, maritime security

MANILA, Philippines -  The United States yesterday renewed its commitment to support the Philippines in law enforcement and maritime security despite the two.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 16th, 2017

Federer: Tennis taking proactive approach to address fixing

JUSTIN BERGMAN, Associated Press br /> MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — At last year's Australian Open, the players were caught by surprise when a report was published on the eve of the season-opening Grand Slam alleging widespread match-fixing in the sport. Every news conference felt like an ambush, a peppering of pointed questions about corruption. This year, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and other stars of the game seem better prepared. They've got their talking points ready — and they can even have a sense of humor about the subject. 'I thought we were going to finish on a good one,' Federer quipped when a match-fixing question was asked at the very end of his pre-tournament news conference on Saturday. Then he smiled. It most likely won't be the last he'll ever be asked, either. Last season's tournament began beneath a cloud of suspicion after a report by BBC and BuzzFeed alleged that tennis authorities had overlooked suspected cases of match-fixing involving some top players, none of whom were named. Federer, in response, called the situation 'super serious' and argued that anyone who engages in match-fixing should be identified publicly. In the past year, this is what tennis authorities have tried to do. Nine players and officials were sanctioned by the Tennis Integrity Unit in 2016 — the most in a single year since the body was created in 2008. In the first two weeks of this year, six more were added to the list. All of them were lower-ranked players who played primarily on the lower-tier Challenger and Futures tours, considered the most at-risk for match-fixing because of the smaller purses and lack of scrutiny compared with larger ATP and WTA events. Federer said this is where tennis officials need to be focusing their efforts. 'Clearly we have no space for that kind of behavior in our sport,' he said, adding that efforts to combat corruption have had positive spinoffs. 'The good thing is that it's really only zero-point-something percent of players that actually have done something over the course of so many matches and so many players. I think we've done actually OK.' To be exact, the TIU said that only 292 matches generated suspicious betting alerts out of more than 114,000 played last year, or about 0.2 percent. Betting alerts, on their own, are also not conclusive proof that a match has been fixed. Federer also applauded the TIU's decision to name an independent review panel to examine its operations and recommend changes. The report is due later this year. 'That's going to change the sport for the better,' he said. Djokovic also said the problem seems to be confined to the lower-tier tours, taking a subtle shot at the media for making 'a great deal about it' when a case arises. But he, too, stressed that progress has been made and he believes the sport is cleaner than it was 12 months ago. 'Ideally, we don't want to see any kind of match-fixing occurrences,' he said. 'But, unfortunately, they do occur from time to time. 'We haven't experienced too many. Generally looking I think ATP and all the authorities are doing a good job in kind of tracking down those kind of potential match-fixing matches.' .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 14th, 2017

Rose, Johnson try to make up ground on Thomas

 DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer HONOLULU (AP) — Olympic gold medalist Justin Rose and Zach Johnson did their parts to stay in the game Friday at the Sony Open. Then it was up to Justin Thomas. Johnson birdied his last three holes for a 9-under 61, and Rose shot a 64. They joined Hudson Swafford (68) at 10-under 130. That allowed them to get within one shot of Thomas, who played Friday afternoon after opening with a 59. br /> 'Today was an important round to keep pace with them and obviously Justin Thomas, I also anticipate him playing well,' Rose said. 'It's about consistently playing well the whole week and waiting for your hot round.' br /> The conditions were so pure again — fast fairway, soft green and barely enough wind to blow a palm frond — that Rose isn't sure his 64 will be his best this week.' br /> Johnson, who has posted a 60 at the Tour Championship and at the Texas Open, holed a bunker shot for eagle on the par-5 18th as he made the turn, and he closed with a 12-foot birdie putt on No. 7, a birdie from 6 feet on No. 8 and a two-putt birdie from 30 feet on the par-5 ninth. br /> 'There wasn't any major stress,' Johnson said. br /> Swafford, who opened with a 62, could only manage a 68. br /> Webb Simpson (65) and Charles Howell III (66) were among those at 9-under 131, while the group at 132 included former Navy lieutenant Billy Hurley III (68) and Miguel Tabuena of the Philippines, who had his best year in 2016 on the Asian Tour. br /> Thomas posted the eighth sub-60 round in PGA Tour history on Thursday with a 15-foot eagle putt on the final hole. The only other player to shoot 59 in the first round was Paul Goydos in the 2010 John Deere Classic. He finished second that week to Steve Stricker, who opened with a 60. br /> Rose knows the feeling of a hot start. br /> Just over 10 years ago, he flirted with a 59 on the Palm course at Disney and settled for a 60. He was just as good the next day, but only for a short time, and had to settle for a 67. On the weekend, rounds of 72-69 left him in fourth place, five shots behind the winner, Joe Durant. br /> The message from that: It's a long week. br /> 'I think I started strong the second day ... and then yeah, stalled a bit,' Rose said. 'The rest of the field is going to keep making birdies, especially when they're playing free with nothing to lose when you are up ahead of them. You definitely need the mindset when you're that far ahead to keep the accelerator down. But it's hard to keep that sort of momentum going, for sure.' br />   .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 14th, 2017

PH, Japan boost maritime security ties

PH, Japan boost maritime security ties.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  pepRelated NewsJan 13th, 2017

FIFA to expand World Cup to 48 teams in 2026

GRAHAM DUNBAR, AP Sports Writer br /> ZURICH (AP) — FIFA will expand the World Cup to 48 teams, adding 16 extra nations to the 2026 tournament which is likely to be held in North America. President Gianni Infantino's favored plan — for 16 three-team groups with the top two advancing to a round of 32 — was unanimously approved Tuesday by the FIFA Council. It meets Infantino's election pledge of a bigger World Cup, and should help fund promised raises for FIFA's 211 member federations. With 80 matches instead of 64, FIFA forecasts the equivalent of $1 billion extra income at current rates from broadcasting and sponsor deals, plus ticket sales, compared to $5.5 billion revenue forecast for the 2018 World Cup in Russia. FIFA projects an increased profit of $640 million despite some extra operating costs and prize money for teams. FIFA's six continents should find out by May how many extra places they will each get. UEFA wants 16 European teams at the tournament, which is strongly favored to be played in North America. The CONCACAF region has not hosted the World Cup since the 1994 tournament in the United States. American, Canadian and Mexican soccer leaders have had informal talks about a co-hosting bid. Africa and Asia could be winners in a bigger World Cup with up to nine places each. They had only five and four teams, respectively, at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Still, FIFA said it expects the standard of soccer to drop compared to the 32-team format locked in for the next two World Cups in Russia and Qatar. The 'absolute quality' of play, defined by high-ranked teams facing each other most often, is achieved by 32 teams, FIFA acknowledged in a research document sent to members last month. It made 10,000 tournament simulations to reach that conclusion. Instead, Infantino wants to create fervor and months of anticipation back home in the 16 extra nations which would qualify, some probably making their World Cup debut. FIFA has pointed to Costa Rica, Wales and Iceland as examples of teams which overachieved at recent tournaments. FIFA must break with soccer tradition to make its new format work after an original 48-team plan — with an opening playoff round sending 16 'one-and-done' teams home early — was unpopular. Instead, three-team groups will replace the usual groups of four to create simple progress to a knockout bracket. However, it leaves one team idle for final group games and could risk collusion between the other two teams. FIFA said it could guard against result-rigging by introducing penalty shootouts after group games that end in draws. Despite the 16 extra games, FIFA believes the current maximum of stadiums needed will stay at the 12 used by Brazil and Russia. However, the demand for more training bases and hotels means developed countries would be better equipped to win future hosting contests. North America is the strong favorite for 2026 because European and Asian countries are blocked by a FIFA rule excluding continents which hosted either of the two previous tournaments. Russia will host the World Cup next year and Qatar in 2022. South America has been focused on a centenary tournament including original 1930 host Uruguay, and African nations are seen as lacking existing capacity and unlikely to fund multi-billion dollar infrastructure spending. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 10th, 2017

Paghahanda sa Asean Summit, puspusan na

INIHAHANDA na ng Malacañang ang mga paksang tatalakayin ng iba’t ibang pinuno ng mga bansang kasapi ng Association of Southeast Asian Nation (ASEAN) para sa taong ito. Ayon kay Presidential Communications Sec. Martin Andanar, ilan sa mga paksang pag-uusapan ay ang maritime security and cooperation, peace and stability. Kasama rin sa mga tatalakayin ayon kay [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsJan 6th, 2017

Russian Navy is here. What next?

WE’RE HOPING President Rodrigo Duterte has his national security options neatly figured out as he opens the country to increased Chinese and Russian military.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 4th, 2017

Russian warship in Manila for naval exercise

MANILA, Philippines — A warship from Russia's Pacific Fleet docked in Manila on Tuesday morning in time for a maritime exercise with the Philippine Navy......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2017

Technology: BlackBerry's Q3 results show progress on software transition

OTTAWA, CANADA -- BlackBerry posted better-than-expected third quarter results Tuesday, showing it is making headway in its transformation into a software and services company after abandoning in-house manufacturing of smartphones......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsDec 21st, 2016