Advertisements


Palace: Despite Alvarez s statement, 2019 polls to push through

The 2019 midterm elections would push through despite calls by House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez for the polls to be postponed to focus on the country's shift to a federal government, Palace spokesman Harry Roque said Thursday......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarJul 12th, 2018

Palace: Despite Alvarez s statement, 2019 polls to push through

The 2019 midterm elections would push through despite calls by House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez for the polls to be postponed to focus on the country's shift to a federal government, Palace spokesman Harry Roque said Thursday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 12th, 2018

Palace: No stopping 2019 polls with 2 months before filing of candidacy

Barely two months before the filing of certificate of candidacy, Malacaang assured the public that the 2019 midterm elections would push through despite moves to ratify the 1987 Constitution for a shift to federalism. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said he could not see any hint that next year's elections would be canceled. "Tuloy na tuloy po ang halalan," Roque said in an ambush interview in Lipa City, Batangas. (The elections will really push through) "Ang Presidente po napakatagal na sa pulitika at naniniwala po siya sa demokrasya. Naniniwala po siya sa eleksyon," he added. (The President has been in politics for a long time. He believes in democracy. He believes...Keep on reading: Palace: No stopping 2019 polls with 2 months before filing of candidacy.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 24th, 2018

No ‘no-el’ scenario under Speaker Arroyo — lawmaker

Deputy Speaker and Camarines Sur Rep. Rolando Andaya said that Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo opposed any postponement of the 2019 elections, which her predecessor Rep. Pantaleon Alvarez had been pushing.   "Nagbigay na po ng instruction 'yung ating bagong Speaker [Arroyo] na magkakaroon (election)... kumabaga there will be no 'no-el' scenario," Andaya said in an interview over DZIQ Radyo Inquirer on Sunday.   (Our new Speaker has already given instructions that there will be an election... In other words, there will be no 'no-el' scenario.)   Earlier, the former president herself said that she won't push for the postponement of the polls to give way...Keep on reading: No ‘no-el’ scenario under Speaker Arroyo — lawmaker.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 29th, 2018

Is Alvarez bent on scrapping 2019 polls over fear of losing?

It’s quite unusual for Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez to push so strongly for a no-elections scenario in 2019. He's the only one floating the idea among President Rodrigo Duterte’s allies who are actively campaigning for a shift to a federal system of government. (READ: Alvarez proposal on no 2019 elections 'off-tangent, misplaced' – lawmakers ) Alvarez ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 18th, 2018

Palace distances itself from no-elections proposal

Malacañang on Thursday distanced itself from the proposal of House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez to cancel the 2019 midterm polls to enable lawmakers to discuss proposals to amend the Constitution......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 12th, 2018

2019 polls to push through unless Constitution amended — Palace

THE midterm elections will push through in 2019 unless the Constitution will be amended, Malacañang said on Thursday, amid speculations that it could be suspended with the country’s possible shift to a federal form of government. In a press conference, Palace spokesman Harry Roque Jr. reiterated that President Rodrigo Duterte wanted the 2019 elections to [...] The post 2019 polls to push through unless Constitution amended — Palace appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJul 12th, 2018

Alvarez now says 2019 polls pushing through

MANILA, Philippines – House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez backtracked on his earlier proposal to cancel the 2019 mid-term elections as part of preparations for the planned shift to a federal form of government. In an interview on dzBB Thursday, January 25, Alvarez said the 2019 elections would push through. He had earlier expressed ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 25th, 2018

Duterte rules out term extension

MALACAÑANG said on Wednesday the midterm elections would push through in 2019 as scheduled unless the Constitution was amended. The Palace issued the statement through Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque Jr., who told a press conference: “The President always looks to the Constitution as his guiding document. The Constitution sets the date for the next elections [...] The post Duterte rules out term extension appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2018

2019 elections to push through unless Constitution amended — Palace

MALACANANG said on Wednesday that the midterm elections would push through in 2019 as scheduled unless the Constitution would be amended. The Palace issued the statement through Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque who told a press conference: “The President always looks to the Constitution as his guiding document. The Constitution sets the date for the next [...] The post 2019 elections to push through unless Constitution amended — Palace appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2018

Mocha Uson on 2019 senatorial polls: Only Duterte can make me run

  Communications Assistant Secretary Mocha Uson on Friday said only President Rodrigo Duterte could make her run for the Senate in 2019.   Uson's statement came after Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez announced in Cebu City her inclusion in the PDP-Laban senatorial slate for 2019.   Uson, who was also in Cebu during the announcement, said she was surprised with Alvarez's announcement.   "Una po sa lahat, we attended the oathtaking of the new PDP Laban members upon the invitation of Presidential Assistant for Visayas, Michael Dino. Walang kahit anong political intention on my part sa pag punta doon," she said in a statement.   "Kaya nagulat ...Keep on reading: Mocha Uson on 2019 senatorial polls: Only Duterte can make me run.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 17th, 2017

Palace: Opposition victory in 2019 polls not a ‘repudiation’ of Duterte

  MANILA, Philippines -- An opposition senatorial candidate winning in the May 2019 midterm elections "doesn't mean a repudiation"of the Duterte administration, Malacaang said Tuesday. "It only means that when opposition candidates win, it is an expression of the electorate telling them that we're putting you there to cooperate with this administration because we believe in this presidency and not you to destabilize it," Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a Palace briefing. "I think that should be the message," Panelo added. In the latest Pulse Asia and SWS surveys, only Manuel "Mar" Roxas II and Benigno "Bam" Aquino made it to the top 12. "Now, as ...Keep on reading: Palace: Opposition victory in 2019 polls not a ‘repudiation’ of Duterte.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 12th, 2019

Bam Aquino: Make sure teachers who will serve in May polls are paid

  MANILA, Philippines -- Senator Bam Aquino on Saturday said government should make sure that teachers who will serve as board of election inspectors in the May midterm elections will be properly compensated.   According to Aquino, if the 2019 budget is reenacted, Congress could pass a supplemental budget for the honoraria of teachers who render election day duties.   He added that Congress is determined to pass the General Appropriations Act by next week.   Aquino made the statement after Commission on Elections spokesman James Jimenez earlied said that no honoraria will be given to teachers who will render election day duties if the 2019 budget ...Keep on reading: Bam Aquino: Make sure teachers who will serve in May polls are paid.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 2nd, 2019

BSP forecasts steadier inflation in January 2019

HIGHER OIL prices is seen to push January 2019 inflation between 4.3 to 5.1 percent. In a statement Thursday, the […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsFeb 1st, 2019

Palace: Filipinos’ outlook on quality of life a ‘repudiation’ vs admin critics

      MANILA, Philippines---Filipinos' positive outlook toward their quality of life and the Philippine economy is a "repudiation" against the skeptics of the Duterte administration, Malacaang said Friday. Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo issued the statement in response to a Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey showing that the number of Filipino who viewed their lives improved over the past 12 months increased by 37 percent from the previous 28 percent of September 2018. The survey, which was conducted last December 2018, also showed that people were optimistic that the Philippine economy in 2019 would get better. READ: SWS: More Filipinos ...Keep on reading: Palace: Filipinos’ outlook on quality of life a ‘repudiation’ vs admin critics.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 1st, 2019

Palace: Reenacted budget means ‘lost opportunities’ for economic growth

MANILA, Philippines - The proposal for a reenacted budget for the entire 2019 would mean "lost opportunities" for higher economic growth, Malacaang said Thursday.   "A reenacted budget as a result of a budget impasse would hurt our economy," Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement.   "This would translate to lost opportunities for higher growth as our economic managers are estimating a loss of 1 to 2.3 percentage points in the full-year gross domestic product in the event that the 2019 budget will not be passed," Panelo added.   His statement came after Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea said a reenacted budget for the whole year...Keep on reading: Palace: Reenacted budget means ‘lost opportunities’ for economic growth.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 31st, 2019

SWS: Beware of fake reports on election surveys

MANILA, Philippines --- Social Weather Stations (SWS) on Saturday reiterated its warning on bogus reports about election polls circulating online. "SWS again reminds the public that false reportage about SWS surveys is very common in the period leading up to an election," SWS said in a statement issued on Saturday. The poll body also warned that fake surveys might be conducted by other groups as the May 2019 election nears. "SWS also recognizes that with the coming May 2019 elections, many surveys on preferences for national and local positions are being conducted by various groups. Some of these groups are legitimate, while others are not," SWS said. SWS also warned that som...Keep on reading: SWS: Beware of fake reports on election surveys.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 26th, 2019

One Championship looks to make MMA splash in States

By Dan Gelston, Associated Press How many casual American sports fans about a year ago had heard of One? Try none. OK, maybe that's a bit of a reach. But the Singapore-based mixed martial arts organization was an afterthought at best in the United States among the hodgepodge of companies trying to put a dent in UFC's heavyweight share of the combat sports marketplace. Try ignoring One Championship now. After staging shows for seven years across Asia from Myanmar to China, One has come out swinging in the U.S. — throwing millions at big-name free agents, signing a major cable TV deal and raising capital needed to not only keep its grip as the dominant MMA promotion of the East, but perhaps use global expansion to eventually rival UFC as the champ of the West. "They're making a serious push," One fighter Eddie Alvarez said. "I don't think it's going to be long before you can crown them one of the top promotions in the world. They've done everything possible in their favor to become that." Alvarez, a Philadelphia native, should know as well as any fighter about One's commitment to becoming a major player in the U.S. fight game. "The Underground King" has fought for several MMA promotions and made his name in Bellator as a two-time lightweight champion and in UFC where he won the same title in 2016 and headlined the promotion's first card in Madison Square Garden against Conor McGregor. The 34-year-old Alvarez became a free agent after his last fight in July 2018 and decided to explore his options outside UFC. He traveled to Singapore and met One founder and CEO Chatri Sityodtong and learned U.S. expansion plans and acquiring other name fighters were on the horizon, as well as ongoing talks that would broadcast fights in America. Alvarez was impressed, not just by One's outline for the future, but in a multimillion dollar contract offer that he says makes him one of the highest-paid fighters in the sport. "Our deal is more in the lines of a real pro sport deal, like football or baseball," Alvarez said. "The package deal is an eight-figure deal. When we brought that to the UFC to match it, they declined matching it and I had to move forward. I'm happy I did because One Championship is the only major promotion that I have not won and conquered the world title in. It's history and legacy for me." Alvarez was part of a flurry of transactions that put MMA fans on notice that One was intent on becoming a singular sensation. One obtained Demetrious Johnson, the long-reigning UFC flyweight champion better known as "Mighty Mouse," in a trade with UFC — yes, a trade — for Ben Askren. Sage Northcutt, once hailed as a future UFC star, also signed with One. Meisha Tate, a former 135-pound champion in UFC and Strikeforce, has signed on as One's vice president and was set to move to Singapore. One strengthened its roster with notable U.S.-based talent ahead of a North American television deal with Turner Sports. The three-year deal will see One content broadcast on Turner's platforms including TNT, which is received by more than 90 million households in the United States, as well as streaming platform Bleacher Report Live and other Turner properties. Turner, which also broadcasts the NBA and the NCAA Tournament, is set to air 24 events in 2019 on its various outlets. B/R Live will stream One: Eternal Glory on Jan. 19 from Jakarta, Indonesia. That date is already familiar to MMA fans — UFC is running its debut show on ESPN-plus the same night (yet in different time zones). Johnson and Alvarez will make their One Championship debuts on March 31 in Japan in tournament competition. "I'm not the smallest guy in the organization anymore," the 5-foot-3 Johnson said. "In America, everybody always looked at me as a child. I won't have that issue when I'm in Asia competing." More elite fighters could be on their way to One. Alvarez, who said he left on good terms with UFC and President Dana White, has suddenly become quite popular among his MMA peers. "Every fighter in town is sliding into my DMs. What's going on? What are you being offered?" Alvarez said, laughing. Sityodtong, raised in Thailand and a graduate of Harvard Business School, is the self-made multimillionaire entrepreneur behind One. He's made a name as the most powerful MMA executive in Asia and has trained and coached in martial arts. Alvarez was wowed — and wooed — by Sityodtong's approach toward building One into an American MMA juggernaut. "In three years, our goal is 100 million live viewers per event, making us as big as Super Bowl Sunday," Sityodtong said at the press conference to introduce Alvarez. One has been aggressive in establish a U.S. foothold in large part because of an influx of cash from some of the top venture capital firms in the world. Sequoia Capital and Singaporean sovereign wealth fund Temasek helped One secure an additional $166 million in funding in October. One said at the time of the announcement it had exceeded $250 million in total capital base. One also recently announced an exclusive partnership in Japan with TV Tokyo, one of the country's largest national television broadcasters. One could quickly crush Bellator as the No. 2 promotion in the United States with a national TV deal and become a viable option for free-agent fighters — even with no scheduled events in America. Plenty of other promotions are also trying to compete or at least carve out a viable slice of the MMA pie, including the Professional Fighters League, which boasts Kevin Hart and Mark Burnett as celebrity investors, as well as Cage Fury Fighting Championship and numerous promotions that air fights in various disciplines under UFC's Fight Pass online subscription service. Alvarez has a stout belief that the MMA promotion made in Asia can make it in America. "The fans there get it," Alvarez said, "and it won't be long until the American fans here get it, as well.".....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 12th, 2019

Palace urges Congress to set aside partisan politics, pass 2019 budget

Malacaang on Monday called on Congress to set aside partisan politics and pass the P3.757-trillion national budget for 2019. Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the delay was "unacceptable" as it would hamper projects and programs of the administration. "We urgently call on Congress and graciously urge it to approve the general budget in the soonest possible time, otherwise delay in its approval will affect the release of the funds for the salary hike of soldiers, policemen, teachers and civilian employees," Panelo said in a statement. "It will also delay the commencement as well as the continuation of infrastructure projects, not to mention the adverse effect on the ...Keep on reading: Palace urges Congress to set aside partisan politics, pass 2019 budget.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 7th, 2019

Palace to Filipinos: Let us continue to be united this 2019

MANILA, Philippines --- As the country welcomes 2019,Malacaang called on Filipinos to stay unitedto help realize President Duterte's "vision of a more comfortable life for all Filipinos." "As another chapter of our Republic's history is about to unfold, let us continue to be united in our efforts and prayers tohelp realize the President's vision of a more comfortable life for all Filipinos,"Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement on New Year's Eve. Panelo said Filipinos should see the New Yearas an opportune time to reflect from the past year's experiences and draw lessons from the things that had transpired. "The Palace wishes all a happy, peaceful and...Keep on reading: Palace to Filipinos: Let us continue to be united this 2019.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 1st, 2019

Palace: Filipinos’ positive outlook a rejection of ‘demolition job’

MANILA, Philippines ---Malacaang welcomed the recent Social Weather Station (SWS) survey which showed that nine out of ten Filipinos are entering 2019 with hope. In a statement on late Monday night, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said this proved that the "demolition job" against the Duterte administration "have little or no impact on the silent but much greater majority." "Indeed, there is much to celebrate. The country's marcoeconomic fundamentals remain solid and robust," Panelo said. "There is construction everywhere in the National Capital Region with the President's Build-Build-Build program already in its implementation stage. Crime rate is down and people ...Keep on reading: Palace: Filipinos’ positive outlook a rejection of ‘demolition job’.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 1st, 2019