Advertisements


One more year

For the one-year extension of Mindanao-wide martial law, it looks like it’s all over but the formal counting of the vote at today’s joint session of Congress.....»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarDec 12th, 2017

Designer spotlight: Jearson Demavivas

Jearson Demavivas is no stranger to the pageant world. Even before Miss Universe 2018 Catriona wore his outfits, the 29-year-old designer from South Cotabato already worked with Binibining Pilipinas Grand International 2017 Elizabeth Clenci, who wore his national costume inspired by the T'boli tribe. Since then, his designs have been worn not ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated News60 min. ago

Woman kicked off from plane for spitting at passenger, hitting cabin crew

One woman had to be removed from a Las Vegas flight following an outburst that saw her spitting at a fellow passenger and hitting a cabin crew --- all because she did not want to sit next to a 3-year-old. The incident happened at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida on Feb. 14, as per CBS Miami last Feb. 15. The woman, 32-year-old Valerie Gonzalez, went on an expletive-laden tirade upon boarding the JetBlue Airways flight when she discovered she would be sitting next to a 3-year-old child. "I'm not sitting next to a (expletive) three-year-old," Gonzalez was quoted as saying. "I've been drinking all day." Gonzalez apparently stood up from her seat to transfe...Keep on reading: Woman kicked off from plane for spitting at passenger, hitting cabin crew.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated News1 hr. 25 min. ago

Isabelle Daza says she doubles helpers’ bank savings every year

MANILA, Philippines --- Actress-host Isabelle Daza shared how she supports her helpers by doubling their bank account savings every December.   "I gave them a bank account, I said 'Okay, pag December na titignan ko kung magkano na naipon mo and dodoblehin ko,'" Daza said during an interview at "Tonight With Boy Abunda" on Monday.   "I think that gets them to have a target also. And that makes them feel that this isn't finite, this amount, every month," she added.   Daza also talked about the contract for her helpers which she posted via an Instagram story last month.   READ: LOOK: Isabelle Daza drafts contract for her helpers so they'd 'kno...Keep on reading: Isabelle Daza says she doubles helpers’ bank savings every year.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated News1 hr. 25 min. ago

Marawi not a ‘ghost city’, Washington Post article ‘not true’ – task force head

MANILA, Philippines -- The Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM) on Tuesday disputed a news article, claiming war-torn Marawi City remains a "ghost town" more than a year after the military dislodged Islamic State-inspired Maute group in the area. TFBM chairman Eduardo del Rosario asserted Marawi City is currently "alive and booming" and "full of economic activity" contrary to a Washington Post article published February 1, which stated "Marawi looks almost as it did when the bombs and bullets stopped flying in October 2017." The news article noted that no new structure has been built and debris has not been cleared in Marawi City since the war ended. Marawi City served as battle gro...Keep on reading: Marawi not a ‘ghost city’, Washington Post article ‘not true’ – task force head.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated News1 hr. 25 min. ago

Linya Linya Land: Official Lineup, out now!

Brace yourselves for the biggest music show to start the year as Linya-Linya and Gabi Na Naman Productions bring you Linya-Linya Land!.....»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated News2 hr. 12 min. ago

National cyclists dreaming of Tokyo 2020 - Inquirer Sports

Determined to send a Filipino cyclist to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Go For Gold Philippines Continental Team has lined up a series of international races this year in an effort to accomplish that goal......»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated News4 hr. 12 min. ago

Economic freedom: Philippines ranks 70th - Philstar.com

Economic freedom: Philippines ranks 70th Philippine Star The Philippines has the world's 70th freest economy though its overall economic freedom score decreased by 1.2 points from last year to 63.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated News4 hr. 12 min. ago

Man nabbed for illegal gun

PILAR, Capiz – The police on Feb 16, 2019 arrested a 58-year-old farmer for carrying a firearm in Brgy. Poblacion here. Ronilo Villaruel of Brgy. San Roque Estancia, Iloilo is facing charges for violations of Presidential Decree 1866 for illegal possession of firearms and the Commission on Election (Comelec) gun ban. Police investigation showed that […] The post Man nabbed for illegal gun appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated News5 hr. 38 min. ago

‘Serial rapist’ nabbed, charged

A MAN accused of raping two girls was arrested afternoon of Feb. 17, 2019 in Oton, Iloilo. Jethro Antonio, 28, who hails from Barangay Magdungao, Passi City, allegedly molested a 14-year old girl since November 2018. The last sexual abuse happened on Feb. 15. On Monday, a case for violation of Republic Act 8353 or […] The post ‘Serial rapist’ nabbed, charged appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated News5 hr. 38 min. ago

Serena Williams back in top 10 after giving birth

LONDON (AP) — Serena Williams has returned to the top 10 in the tennis rankings for the first time since taking a break to have her first child. Williams dropped as low as 491st upon her return to competition in March 2018 but is up to No. 10 after reaching two Grand Slam finals since, losing to Angelique Kerber at Wimbledon and Naomi Osaka at the U.S. Open. Williams hasn't played since her quarterfinal loss to Karolina Pliskova at last month's Australian Open, but she still overtook Caroline Wozniacki. The Danish player's points from reaching last year's Doha semifinals expired this week. Osaka remains at the top of the rankings. Simona Halep is second and Sloane Stephens is third, while Petra Kvitova dropped to fourth......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated News7 hr. 59 min. ago

To take on Ronaldo, Atletico could unleash attacking trio

By Tales Azzoni, Associated Press MADRID (AP) — Atletico Madrid could unleash an attacking trio in an effort to finally outdo Cristiano Ronaldo in the Champions League. Atletico coach Diego Simeone will be able to call on Antoine Griezmann, Diego Costa and Alvaro Morata when his team hosts Juventus in the first leg of the last 16 on Wednesday, in what will be Ronaldo's first match in Madrid since leaving Real Madrid last year. Ronaldo faced Atletico four straight seasons in the Champions League while wearing Real Madrid's jersey, succeeding every time — in two finals (2014 and 2016), one quarterfinal (2015) and one semifinal (2017). He has scored 22 goals in 31 matches against Atletico in his career, including a hat trick in the first leg of the 2017 semifinals. Simeone, known for his great defensive squads, may look for his attack to try to neutralize Ronaldo this time. He used Griezmann, Costa and Morata together on Saturday in the team's 1-0 win at Rayo Vallecano in the Spanish league. Griezmann and Morata started the match, and Costa — coming off a long injury layoff — entered in the second half. It was the first time Simeone could use all three players together, as Morata signed from Chelsea in the recent transfer window and Costa hadn't played in nearly two months because of a foot injury that required surgery. "I like it," Simeone said after seeing them against Vallecano. He will have all three players available again for Wednesday's first leg against Juventus at Wanda Metropolitano Stadium, but he didn't say whether he will use them all from the start. "Obviously it takes time, it takes work, and an extraordinary physical condition from all three players," Simeone said. "Hopefully at some point we will give them more playing time together." Costa would likely be left off the team if Simeone doesn't go with the trio, considering he was sidelined for a long time. If Costa plays, he would take over the central striker position, with Morata moving to one of the sides, opposite Griezmann. "Costa allows Morata to play more freely, in a more comfortable position for him," Simeone said. "And Griezmann will remain an important player for us, taking advantage of every chance he has in front of him." Atletico was already playing with the three forwards when Morata set up Griezmann's winner on Saturday, although Morata was playing closer to the goal at the time, with Costa a bit further back. "Diego and Griezmann are two of the best forwards in the world, they have shown that already," said Morata, the former Real Madrid striker who joined Atletico after a disappointing stint with Chelsea. "It's easy to play with them, it's easy to adapt. I'm the last one to arrive, so I'm the one who has to adapt." Having all three available could be key for Atletico the rest of the season. In addition to the Champions League, Atletico remains in the title race for the Spanish league title, trailing leader Barcelona by seven points after 24 matches. This year's Champions League final will be held at Atletico's home stadium......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated News7 hr. 59 min. ago

Vettel makes strong start to F1 preseason for Ferrari

By Joseph Wilson, Associated Press MONTMELO, Spain (AP) — For Sebastian Vettel, the opening day of the Formula One preseason couldn't have gone any better. Vettel, the runner-up to the title last season, clocked the fastest time, was the busiest driver with 169 laps and, most importantly, felt right at home behind the wheel of his new Ferrari. "We couldn't have hoped for a better day," Vettel said after setting a session-best lap time of 1 minute, 18.161 seconds. "It was unbelievable. The car was working very well. We had no issues slowing us down. "It is obviously very early and this will be meaningless in a couple of weeks, but for now, a huge compliment to everyone at the factory. What they put on the track today was very close to perfection." Vettel has the daunting goal of ending Mercedes' five-year dominance of F1. Defending champion Lewis Hamilton shared time behind the wheel for Mercedes with Valtteri Bottas and ended up with the ninth-fastest time, but it is more very likely that Mercedes was not aiming to top the leaderboard. Mercedes boss Toto Wolff acknowledged that Ferrari looked quick, but downplayed the importance of lap times in the preseason. "That is not what tests are about," Wolff said. "It's about going through all the parts and looking at all the data." Carlos Sainz put in the second-quickest lap in his first ride with McLaren, followed by Haas' Romain Grosjean and Red Bull's Max Verstappen. Renault's Daniel Ricciardo, who joined the team from Red Bull, and Nico Hulkenberg put in the slowest times of the day, finishing more than 2.8 seconds slower than Vettel. Williams, which finished last in the team standings last year, missed the first day of testing and is likely to miss Tuesday's session as well. Alfa Romeo, previously known as Sauber, unveiled its new burgundy-and-white car in the pit lane before testing began. Kimi Raikkonen, who joined the team from Ferrari, had the fifth-best time but also went off the track twice without damaging his car. The main focus of these tests is for teams to adapt to rule changes for their cars' front wing design. The goal is to make racing more exciting by facilitating overtaking. The new regulations should reduce the turbulence hitting trailing cars, which has slowed them down and made passing more difficult. Red Bull boss Chris Horner said that the new rules mean "there is a blank canvas this year." Testing will continue through Thursday and then again from Feb. 26-March 1 at the Barcelona-Catalunya Circuit, home to the Spanish Grand Prix in May. The season-opening Australian GP is on March 17......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated News7 hr. 59 min. ago

Giants manager Bruce Bochy to retire after this season

By Janie McCauley, Associated Press SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Bruce Bochy has always managed with his gut. Those same instincts told him it's nearly time to retire. Bochy announced Monday this will be his last season managing the San Francisco Giants, his 25th in all as a big league manager. He told the team before Monday's spring training workout at Scottsdale Stadium. "In my mind it's time," he said. Bochy, who turns 64 on April 16, had offseason hip replacement surgery that has him moving more swiftly and he insists "the health's great" and didn't factor into the choice. He begins his 13th season with the Giants. He led the club to World Series championships in 2010, '12 and '14. "I've managed with my gut. I came up here in 2007 on my gut. So it's a gut feeling it's time," Bochy said. "It's been an unbelievable ride. There's so much in there to be grateful for, with the players, the city, the fans, my ride here. It's time. I'll stay in baseball and do something. ... I'm not going too far, trust me. I love this game. It's been in my blood, so sure I'll be doing something in another capacity and I look forward to it." Bochy came to San Francisco from the San Diego Padres before the 2007 season, in time to watch Barry Bonds break Hank Aaron's career home run record that August. He managed Matt Cain's perfect game in 2012 and a pair of no-hitters by Tim Lincecum against the Padres in July 2013 and June '14. "This will give me time to go back and reflect and even watch some games and think about some of these great achievements and milestones these players have reached," Bochy said. "I've always had a deep appreciation for the gifts and talents of these players. I consider myself fortunate to have managed players like a Bonds and Lincecum." Every other manager with three or more titles has been inducted into the Hall of Fame. "I haven't even thought about that," Bochy said. Giants CEO Larry Baer already envisions a place in Cooperstown for Bochy, "Words cannot adequately express the amount of admiration, gratitude and respect the Giants family has for Bruce Bochy," Baer said in a statement. "His honesty, integrity, passion and brilliance led to the most successful period of Giants baseball in the history of our franchise. He will always be a Giant and we look forward to honoring him and all of his achievements throughout his final season in San Francisco and inevitably in Cooperstown." Giants Gold Glove shortstop Brandon Crawford considers himself fortunate to have played for the same manager his entire career. "That's definitely special. I don't think many guys have one manager throughout their entire career," Crawford said. "Obviously we have this year to take care of first. Hopefully we make it a memorable one for him. A part of what's made him such a good manager over the years is just being able to work with the players he has, whether that's the bullpen or the bench, he always seemed to plug the right pieces at the right times." Bochy has faced daily questions about his future, and he wanted to address his plans now and avoid distractions later in the season when he hopes to have a contender again following two years out of the playoffs. He intends to stay in baseball. "It's something I put a lot of thought in it," Bochy said. "There's a lot of things that I look forward to doing, but right now my head's at this moment, hey, I'm going to focus on getting this team ready. I look forward to one more shot, trust me, and us having a big year. I'm all in." He spent his first 12 seasons as a manager with the Padres from 1995-2006, guiding San Diego to the NL pennant in 1998. Bochy came to the decision over the winter, but had all but realized this would be his last year at the end of the 2018 season. He discussed it with family and the front office. Executive Brian Sabean was hardly surprised by his dear friend's decision, saying "that's a pretty elite and, as we all know, fast treadmill to now do this for 25 years." "Two different organizations, four trips to the World Series, you win three, that's pretty elite company," Sabean said. Once he's through, Bochy will stick to his simple life of fishing excursions and family. "I'm not going anywhere. I don't have any cruises planned, trust me, I don't plan on going up Mount Everest. Baseball, that's my life. I'll be around," Bochy said. "I don't have a bucket list. There's no hidden agenda in all this, trust me.".....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated News7 hr. 59 min. ago

Measles outbreak death toll hits 136

The Department of Health has launched an infomercial featuring boxing champion and Sen. Manny Pacquiao to reduce the number of measles cases after the disease claimed the lives of 136 children from January to Feb. 16 this year......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated News8 hr. 59 min. ago

PNP: Solved kidnap cases up by 37% in 2018

The number of kidnapping cases in the country that were solved last year increased by at least 37 percent, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated News10 hr. 12 min. ago

Measles Outbreak: Countermeasures Highlighted, Vaccination Woes Revealed

Screengrab from ABS-CBN News' Youtube account.LAST YEAR, a news brief in the Philippine Daily Inquirer published on October 25 reported a 926% increase in confirmed measles cases since Janua.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated News10 hr. 25 min. ago

Asean think tank expects Philippines to grow by 6.4% this year

Asean think tank expects Philippines to grow by 6.4% this year.....»»

Category: financeSource:  thestandardRelated News11 hr. 25 min. ago

UP’s Molde top player

There was no better scorer in the UAAP Season 81 women’s volleyball tournament opening weekend than the University of the Philippines’ Isa Molde. We have a lot of great players, but someone like Isa helps us get out of tough spots The fourth year open hitter powered 23 points, leading the Lady Maroons past the […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated News12 hr. 12 min. ago

Measles cases breach 8,000-mark over a week since outbreak

MANILA, Philippines – A week after a measles outbreak was declared in several regions in the country, over 8,000 cases have been recorded, according to the Department of Health (DOH). The DOH’s latest count as of 9 am, Saturday, February 16, listed 8,443 measles cases since January 1 this year. ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated News12 hr. 59 min. ago

Razer Game Store to close after less than a year

MANILA, Philippines – The Razer Game Store will shut down on February 28, some 10 months after it first went live, the company announced .  Razer said the closure was part of "the company’s realignment plans." It added efforts would be made to "deliver great content and introduce game promotions ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated News12 hr. 59 min. ago