Advertisements


No problem with Philippine economy, Palace claims

In an attempt to fire back at Vice President Leni Robredo’s advice to the chief executive, Malacañang painted a rosy picture of the country’s economy......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarJul 12th, 2018

Palace allays federalism fears

MALACAÑANG yesterday allayed concerns that implementing federalism could wreck the country’s fiscal health and spell disaster for regions ill-prepared for the shift from the unitary type of government. “The shift to federalism, we reiterate, would have no adverse effect on the Philippine economy,” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said. Roque….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated News7 hr. 0 min. ago

Palace disputes Pernia: Federalism won& apos;t hurt the economy - Philippine Star

Palace disputes Pernia: Federalism won't hurt the economy - Philippine Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated News11 hr. 0 min. ago

AFP: No order from Palace to stop patrolling WSP

          The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said on Saturday that there was no order coming from President Rodrigo Duterte to stop patrolling the disputed West Philippine Sea.   The statement of AFP came after opposition lawmaker, Magdalo Rep. Gary Alejano, claimed that Duterte has ordered AFP to stop wasting their time in guarding the disputed area.   According to AFP Spokesperson Col. Edgard Arevalo, the claims of Alejano might be "another malicious imputation" against the President.   "I do not know where Cong. Alejano got that supposed instruction from the Commander-in-Chief," Arevalo said in a state...Keep on reading: AFP: No order from Palace to stop patrolling WSP.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 9th, 2018

Palace: Phl not taking soft stance on China

The Palace denied it is going soft on China amid reports of a resumption of build-up over disputed portions of the South China Sea (SCS) that foreign ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) have criticized. Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said the Philippines shares Asean leaders’ concern regarding China’s aggressive actions on what is said to be the world’s busiest waterways.The recently concluded Asean foreign and defense ministers in Singapore issued a statement that did not name China but said that “land reclamations and activities in the area . . . have eroded trust and confidence, increased tensions and may undermine peace, security and stability in the region.” The Asean ministers resolved to expedite the code of conduct (CoC) on how to negotiate with China regarding overlapping maritime claims.“Asean’s concern on the Chinese build-up is right because Asean, as a regional bloc, wants to adhere to discussions pertaining to the code of conduct,” Roque said.“We cannot be not joining the call because the Philippines is one of those concerned in this campaign,” he added.Roque also disputed views that Manila is not among those insistent in pressing Beijing to speed up the CoC drafting. “We are not being too soft (on China) but we have an established policy on that. Number one, of course, is we are one with Asean in recognizing that this is a concern for all Asean countries. Particularly that of the freedom of navigation in the West Philippine Sea,” Roque said.“Our common concern is peace security and stability in one of the world’s busiest sea lanes,” he added.During Manila’s hosting of the Asean last year, President Duterte did not cite the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) ruling that nullified Beijing’s sweeping claim over nearly the entire South China Sea.It was the Philippine government that contested China’s nine-dash-line claim before the Hague court. China, however, refuses to recognize it.Apart from the Philippines, other Asean countries also have overlapping claims at the South China Sea including Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei.Reclamation to continueChina in its known mouthpiece Global Times said Beijing is concentrating on civil and not military construction on islands in the South China Sea but insisted that the Chinese “will expand land reclamation.”“Most of the construction on islands in the South China Sea were completed in 2015 and the pace then slowed. Civilian facility construction is the major focus of the South China Sea islands building and the portion of defense deployment is relatively small,” Global Times quoted Chen Xiangmiao, a research fellow at the National Institute for the South China Sea.The size of some South China Sea islands will be further expanded in future through more dredging in the South China Sea region, Chen said.The relationship between China and other Southeast Asian countries, such as the Philippines, has becalmed in recent years, providing a golden opportunity for China to upgrade these areas, he said.China and the Philippines are enjoying good terms as President Rodrigo Duterte maintains a friendly policy toward China, Chen said. “But there is still some domestic pressure that urges Duterte to take a tough stance on China and the South China Sea issue,” Chen said.Foreign media like to hype China’s construction in the South China Sea as they try to make excuses to prevent China’s activities in this region, Zhuang Guotu, head of Xiamen University’s Southeast Asian Studies Center, told the Global Times.“China has the right to build whatever it needs within its territory,” Zhuang said.China’s military deployment in the South China Sea region was “not for military expansion,” but to defend its security and interests, he said.Zhuang and Chen warned the US is the biggest threat to stability in the South China Sea.“The US, Australia, Japan and other allies will constantly provoke China over this issue and that will incite other neighboring South China Sea countries to do the same,” Zhuang said.China’s construction projects in the region covered about 290,000 square meters in 2017, including new facilities for underground storage, administrative buildings and large radar, according to a report released in December on the nanhai.haiwainet.cn website run by the National Marine Data and Information Service and People’s Daily Overseas edition. No foreign vessels at BenhamThe Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has not monitored any foreign vessels at the Philippine Rise, formerly known as Benham Rise, during its latest patrol in the area. Lt. Col. Isagani Nato, AFP-Northern Luzon Command (Nolcom) spokesman, said that based on the latest patrol conducted by Nolcom troops, there was no presence of foreign ships at Philippine Rise.“As of now, we don’t have a report that there is presence (of foreign vessels) in Benham Rise,” said Nato.Earlier, Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol announced that President Duterte has banned foreign ships at the Philippine Rise and ordered the military to patrol the area.The announcement came following an uproar from government critics after the Duterte administration allowed the Chinese to conduct scientific research at the Philippine Rise.Nato, however, said that Nolcom is yet to receive official order regarding the matter.But Nato maintained that with or without the latest directive, Nolcom has regularly conducted air and maritime patrols along Philippine Rise.Apart from Nolcom, the Air Force and the Philippine Navy, Nato said that the Philippine Coast Guard, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) and the Philippine National Police-Maritime Group (PNP-MG) also conduct their own patrol in the area.He said the Nolcom uses air and naval assets of the Navy and the Air Force units under its jurisdiction.“We conduct our patrols regularly. It is a mandate of Nolcom forces so that is continuous with or without the directive from higher ups,” said Nato.According to Nato, Nolcom conducts three to four maritime and air patrol at Philippine Rise per month as part of the government efforts to secure the country’s maritime domain.ML ruling lauded, hitThe Supreme Court’s (SC) decision to uphold Mr. Duterte’s year-long martial law extension in Mindanao also drew mixed reactions.The High Court on Tuesday voted 10-5 junking militant groups’ petition and finding “sufficient factual basis” to extend martial law and suspend the privilege of wirt of habeas corpus in Mindanao until December 31, 2018.Roque welcomed the ruling saying that it affirms the need to continue protecting citizens from the threat of terrorist groups, primarily Islamic State (IS)-inspired fanatics.But for Left-leaning groups who petitioned the SC to lift martial law, the court decision opens up more crackdowns and human rights violations.The Palace official has insisted that human rights will be respected amid security operations.“The SC ruling underscores the unity of the whole government in its bid to defeat terrorism and prevent the spread in other parts of the country of DIWW and other like-minded local and foreign terrorist groups,” Roque said.“The majority of votes is a manifestation of confidence on law enforcement agencies that they shall, like they had been doing before, continue to protect our people, secure Mindanao, and pursue the bigger task of rehabilitation while upholding the rule of law, Human Rights, and International Humanitarian Law,” he added.Human rights watchdog Karapatan sees the contrary in the government’s motives, saying that the year-long military rule will boost attacks on the people.The continuous implementation of martial law in Mindanao will allow the unhampered massive rehabilitation in war-torn Marawi City and boost the security forces campaign to finish off the rebellion, the Department of National Defense (DND) said. In a statement, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said that the Supreme Court’s decision affirming the constitutionality of the one-year extension of martial law in Mindanao will definitely boost government efforts to rebuild Marawi City and address continuing rebellion.The defense chief welcomed the SC decision as a vote of confidence to the government security forces.“The DND – AFP is grateful for the trust and confidence of our public institutions and the support of the Filipino people,” said Lorenzana. Mario J. Mallari.....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJun 7th, 2018

Palace hits EU interference anew in Philippine affairs

Malacañang yesterday scored the European Parliament for supposedly interfering with the affairs of the Philippines and rehashing “baseless” claims against President Duterte’s war on illegal drugs......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 20th, 2018

Palace: ‘There’s much to look forward to next year’

The Palace is pleased by the latest Social Weather Station survey where 96 percent of respondents expressed optimism at the coming new year and said there was indeed much to look forward to in 2018.   Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said there was reason for Filipinos to welcome 2018 because the Philippine economy was in an upswing.   "The prospects for the future thus look bright," Roque said, adding that increase tax collections, through Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion Act, should accelerate the economy.   Continue to hope   An official of the Catholic Church also lauded Filipinos' more hopeful outlook for the new year. &nb...Keep on reading: Palace: ‘There’s much to look forward to next year’.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 31st, 2017

PH’s 6.9% economic growth in Q3 elates Palace

Malacaangon Thursdaywelcomed the 6.9 percent growth of the Philippine economy in the third quarter of 2017.   "That's good news," Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a Palace briefing.   The gross domestic product (GDP) grew 6.9% in the third quarter,exceeding the 6.7-percent growth in the second quarter and the 6.4 percent posted in the first quarter.     The growth, however, was slower than the7 percent growth in the third quarter of 2016 but still made the Philippines the second fastest-growing economy in Asia next to Vietnam.   Roque said the economic growth, fueled by business confidence in the country, could be attribute...Keep on reading: PH’s 6.9% economic growth in Q3 elates Palace.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 16th, 2017

Palace downplays ‘revocation’ of Philippine membership in UNHRC

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang yesterday downplayed claims that the Philippines’ membership in the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) may be revok.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 9th, 2017

CHR chair, commissioners 'serve at president's pleasure', Palace claims - Philippine Star

CHR chair, commissioners 'serve at president's pleasure', Palace claims - Philippine Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJul 27th, 2017

Palace: Federalism will not damage economy

Palace: Federalism will not damage economy.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  pepRelated News26 min. ago

Federalism won’t affect PH economy

Malacañang yesterday allayed concerns that implementing federalism could wreck the country’s fiscal health and spell disaster for regions ill-prepared for the shift from the unitary type of government. “The shift to federalism, we reiterate, would have no adverse effect on the Philippine economy,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said. Roque….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated News7 hr. 0 min. ago

Palace disputes Pernia: Federalism won t hurt the economy

Malacañang on Wednesday disputed a claim made by the government’s chief economist that the push for federalism might dent the country’s bullish growth story......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated News14 hr. 0 min. ago

TS Henry, Federalism, Boracay, Apple emojis | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler: State weather bureau PAGASA warns there would be more rain due to the enhanced southwest monsoon or ‘hanging habagat’ until Wednesday. Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ernesto Pernia warns of the ill effects of shifting to federalism on the Philippine economy. The Supreme Court unanimously recommends retiring Associate Justice Samuel Martires ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 17th, 2018

Filipinos clamor to uphold the Arbitral ruling

As we commemorate the second anniversary of our nation’s victory in the Arbitral Tribunal, we reflect on how the Philippine government has used this landmark ruling to generate support from the international community and to uphold our claims over the West Philippine Sea......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJul 17th, 2018

Palace: Only Sinophobes will find docking of China ship objectionable

There was nothing wrong with the docking of a Chinese research vessel in Davao City, the fourth vessel to visit the Philippines since President Rodrigo Duterte assumed power, Malacaang saidTuesday.   "All ships from countries with whom the Philippines maintains friendly ties, may dock at our ports. Chinese survey ships, just like US warships, may dock at our ports," Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque.   Philippine Navy spokesperson Cdr. Jonathan Zata saidYuan Wang 3arrived in Davao City at8:14 p.m.for replenishment purposes.   Zata said there was "nothing unusual" about the presence of the Chinese ship in Davao City.   "Only those afflic...Keep on reading: Palace: Only Sinophobes will find docking of China ship objectionable.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 17th, 2018

Federalism will ‘wreak havoc’ on Philippine economy – Pernia

  MANILA, Philippines – Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ernesto Pernia warned of the ill effects of shifting to federalism on the Philippine economy, saying the regions at this point are not ready for this system.   “Expenditure will be immense if we go to federalism, and we estimate that the fiscal deficit to the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 17th, 2018

Gov’t makes quiet protests on WPS – Palace

Malacaang on Monday denied that the government had not been protesting against China's aggression in the West Philippine Sea (WPS) following a Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey that showed 81 percent of Filipinos disapproved of official inaction on the sea dispute. In a radio interview, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the government filed a protest every time Beijing violated Manila's sovereignty over the WPS, but it always did so quietly. Roque said all Filipinos should reject government inaction against Chinese aggression because the country could not allow its territory to be claimed by another state. "One hundred percent or 5 out 5 (Filipinos) should protest an...Keep on reading: Gov’t makes quiet protests on WPS – Palace.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 17th, 2018

Philippine economy to sustain growth momentum – First Metro

MANILA, Philippines – Despite the political noise, First Metro Investment Corporation (FMIC) remains bullish on the Philippine economy. The investment firm sees the country's gross domestic product (GDP)  expanding by 7% to 7.5% this year. FMIC president Rabboni Francis Arjonillo said the Philippines has solid macroeconomic fundamentals. "Robust domestic demand continues to fuel the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 16th, 2018

PNP’s other problem: securing over 342 LCEs under fire for drugs, other crimes

ANOTHER problem confronting the Philippine National Police is how to secure at least 342 Local Chief Executives or LCEs who were stripped of their police deputation or were either suspended or dismissed due to their reported involvement in illegal drugs, failure to stop acts of terrorism or aiding or abetting… Source link link: PNP’s other problem: securing over 342 LCEs under fire for drugs, other crimes.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJul 16th, 2018

Palace denies inaction on South China Sea dispute

Malacañang on Monday said it has been asserting the Philippines’ claims in the South China Sea after a nationwide poll suggested that four out of five Filipinos reject the government’s perceived inaction on the issue.  Source link link: Palace denies inaction on South China Sea dispute.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJul 16th, 2018