Advertisements


New PRO 7 director assumes post | SunStar - Sun.Star

New PRO 7 director assumes post | SunStar - Sun.Star.....»»

Category: newsSource: googlenews googlenewsJul 17th, 2017

Trump's comments about anthem, Curry inflame sports stars

CATHERINE LUCEY, Associated Press br /> TIM REYNOLDS, Associated Press br /> SOMERSET, N.J. (AP) — President Donald Trump sharply criticized protests by NFL players for a second straight day and rescinded NBA star Stephen Curry's White House invitation on Saturday in a series of tweets that outraged football and basketball stars and even prompted LeBron James to call the president a 'bum.' Trump started by announcing that Curry, the immensely popular two-time MVP for the Golden State Warriors, would not be welcome at the White House for the commemorative visit traditionally made by championship teams. Later, Trump reiterated what he said at a rally in Alabama the previous night that NFL players who kneel for the national anthem should be fired, prompting immediate condemnation from a handful of team executives, the league commissioner and its players' union. The Warriors said it was made clear to them that they were not welcome at the White House. They said that when they go to Washington this season they will instead 'celebrate equality, diversity and inclusion — the values that we embrace as an organization.' Curry had said he did not want to go to the White House anyway, but the Warriors had not made a collective decision before Saturday. 'U bum @StephenCurry30 already said he ain't going!' James tweeted in a clear message to the president — a post that Twitter officials said was quickly shared many more times than any other he's sent. 'So therefore ain't no invite. Going to White House was a great honor until you showed up!' James also released a video Saturday, saying Trump has tried to divide the country. 'He's now using sports as the platform to try to divide us,' James said. 'We all know how much sports brings us together. ... It's not something I can be quiet about.' Warriors general manager Bob Myers said he was surprised by the invitation being pulled. 'The White House visit should be something that is celebrated,' Myers said. 'So we want to go to Washington, D.C., and do something to commemorate kind of who we are as an organization, what we feel, what we represent and at the same time spend our energy on that. Instead of looking backward, we want to look forward.' Added Warriors coach Steve Kerr, after his team's first practice of the season: 'These are not normal times.' As a candidate and as president, Trump's approach has at times seemed to inflame racial tensions in a deeply divided country while emboldening groups long in the shadows. The latest sports comments come a little over a month after Trump came under fire for his response to a white supremacists' protest in Charlottesville, Virginia. Trump later pardoned Joe Arpaio, the former sheriff of Arizona's Maricopa County, who had been found guilty of defying a judge's order to stop racially profiling Latinos. Trump's latest entry into the intersection of sports and politics started in Alabama on Friday night, when he said NFL players who refused to stand for 'The Star-Spangled Banner' are exhibiting a 'total disrespect of our heritage.' Several NFL players, starting last season with then-San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick, have either knelt, sat or raised fists during the anthem to protest police treatment of blacks and social injustice. Last week at NFL games, four players sat or knelt during the anthem, and two raised fists while others stood by the protesters in support. Other players have protested in different ways over the past season since Kaepernick began sitting during the 2016 preseason. 'That's a total disrespect of everything that we stand for,' Trump said, encouraging owners to act. He added, 'Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, you'd say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He's fired.' On Saturday, Trump echoed his stance. 'If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL, or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem,' Trump wrote in an afternoon pair of tweets. 'If not, YOU'RE FIRED. Find something else to do!' Trump has enjoyed strong support from NFL owners, with at least seven of them donating $1 million each to Trump's inaugural committee. They include New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, who Trump considers a friend. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell strongly backed the players while New York Giants owners John Mara and Steve Tisch said the president's comments were inappropriate and offensive. Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, who has supported the players who have knelt, said the country 'needs unifying leadership right now, not more divisiveness,' and San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York ripped Trump's comments as 'callous.' 'Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities,' Goodell said in a statement. Plenty of other current and former stars from across sports weighed in Saturday. Richard Sherman of Seattle Seahawks said the president's behavior is 'unacceptable and needs to be addressed.' In his Friday remarks, Trump also bemoaned what he called a decline in violence in football, noting that it's 'not the same game' because players are now either penalized or thrown out of games for aggressive tackles. 'No man or woman should ever have to choose a job that forces them to surrender their rights,' DeMaurice Smith, the NFL Players Association executive director, said Saturday. 'No worker nor any athlete, professional or not, should be forced to become less than human when it comes to protecting their basic health and safety.' Trump has met with some championship teams already in his first year in office. Clemson visited the White House this year after winning the College Football Playoff, some members of the New England Patriots went after the Super Bowl victory and the Chicago Cubs went to the Oval Office in June to commemorate their World Series title. The Cubs also had the larger and more traditional visit with President Barack Obama in January, four days before the Trump inauguration. North Carolina, the reigning NCAA men's basketball champion, said Saturday it will not visit the White House this season. The Tar Heels cited scheduling conflicts. Rep. Al Green, D-Texas, said Trump has 'taken indecency to a new low.' 'I think that the president has forgotten that he is the standard bearer for our country, that little boys and little girls look up to the president,' he said. 'Little boys and little girls want to be like the president. They want to talk like the president. I think that the president has insulted the American people with this low level of verbiage.' Warriors forward Draymond Green said the good news was that Golden State won't have to talk about going to the White House again — unless they win another title during the Trump presidency. 'Michelle Obama said it best,' Green said. 'She said it best. They go low. We go high. He beat us to the punch. Happy the game is over.' ___ Reynolds reported from Miami. AP Sports Writer Janie McCauley in Oakland, California, and AP writer Corey Williams in Detroit contributed to this story. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated News7 hr. 29 min. ago

LTFRB-Central Visayas director on new allegations: Don't judge me | SunStar - Sun.Star

LTFRB-Central Visayas director on new allegations: Don't judge me | SunStar - Sun.Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsSep 9th, 2017

New DOLE 5 OIC-Regional Director assumes post

New DOLE 5 OIC-Regional Director assumes post.....»»

Category: newsSource:  bicolstandardRelated NewsSep 6th, 2017

New executive director of AMLC Secretariat named | SunStar - Sun.Star

New executive director of AMLC Secretariat named | SunStar - Sun.Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsSep 1st, 2017
Category: newsSource:  manila_shimbunRelated NewsAug 17th, 2017

Scaramucci out as Trump’s new chief of staff takes reins

WASHINGTON, D.C.: Foul-mouthed spin-doctor Anthony Scaramucci was axed as White House communications director on Monday (Tuesday in Manila), just 10 days after being named to the post and hours after Donald Trump installed a new chief of staff. The 53-year-old New Yorker—whose profanity-laden rant against colleagues gained him global notoriety—was fired as four-star general John [...].....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsAug 1st, 2017

Scaramucci out as Trump’s new chief of staff takes reins

WASHINGTON: Foul-mouthed spin doctor Anthony Scaramucci was axed as White House communications director Monday, just 10 days after being named to the post and hours after Donald Trump installed a new chief of staff. The 53-year-old New Yorker &'8212; whose profanity-laden rant against colleagues gained him global notoriety &'8212; was fired as four-star general John [...].....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsAug 1st, 2017

PRO 7 director meets with sectoral groups for Sona | SunStar - Sun.Star

PRO 7 director meets with sectoral groups for Sona | SunStar - Sun.Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJul 21st, 2017

Ombud restores Gica's post | SunStar - Sun.Star

Ombud restores Gica's post | SunStar - Sun.Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsMar 15th, 2017

New Ilocos cop chief assumes post

CAMP FLORENDO, Philippines – Chief Superintendent Charlo Collado is the new director of the Ilocos region police......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 27th, 2017

New Calabarzon cop chief assumes post

MANILA, Philippines - Chief Superintendent Mao Aplasca is the new director of the Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) police......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 25th, 2017

New San Juan police chief assumes post

Superintendent Jose Ogbac took his post as officer-in-charge of the San Juan City police on Tuesday, replacing Senior Supt. Victor Arevalo. National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) director Chief Supt. Oscar Albayalde said Arevalo vacated his post be.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 13th, 2016

Barcelona gets 6th win in 6 rounds, Atletico beats Sevilla

JOSEPH WILSON, Associated Press br /> BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Girona succeeded in stopping Barcelona star Lionel Messi from scoring. If only it could have avoided its own net as well. Barcelona made it six wins in as many games in the Spanish league on Saturday when it won 3-0 at Girona thanks to a pair of own goals by the hosts. Barcelona went head in the Catalan regional derby when Girona defender Aday Benitez deflected Jordi Alba's off-target shot back into his net in the 17th minute. Barcelona's Luis Suarez and Aleix Vidal helped provoke a second goal three minutes after halftime, when Suarez deftly let Vidal's dangerous short pass go through his legs, hit surprised goalkeeper Gorka Iraizoz and turned into the net. Barcelona increased its lead of the league to four points after Atletico Madrid beat Sevilla 2-0 to leapfrog the Andalucian club into second place. Sevilla is five points behind, followed by Real Madrid at seven points adrift after it won at Alaves 2-1. The decision by Girona coach Pablo Machin to man-mark Lionel Messi with Pablo Maffeo helped stop him from adding to his best ever start to a Liga. Messi scored nine goals in the first five rounds. 'I don't think that Messi was the decisive player that he usually is,' Machin said. 'We tried, but we were playing against some of the best players in the world. When you score in our own net it makes it very tough.' SUAREZ STRIKES Suarez rounded off Barcelona's victory in the 69th when he was left all alone to take Sergi Roberto's lobbed pass and beat Iraizoz. It was Suarez's second goal in six appearances this season. The Uruguay striker had been struggling this season, hampered by a right knee injury and adapting to life after the departure of attack partner Neymar. DREAM START Real Madrid turned to new midfielder Dani Ceballos to help it get back on the winning path. The midfielder made the most of his first start for Zinedine Zidane's team by scoring twice in the victory at last-place Alaves. The win came three days after Madrid lost 1-0 at home to Ceballos' former team, Real Betis. That slip combined with a pair of home draws left the defending champions trailing leader Barcelona. Ceballos received a pass from Marco Asensio, fought through a tackle, and shot just inside the post for the 10th-minute opener. Manu Garcia responded with Alaves' first goal of the season. But Ceballos put Madrid back in charge before halftime when he fired in a ball that goalkeeper Fernando Pacheco spilled when he collided with a teammate while defending a cross. Alaves almost leveled late when substitute Alfonso Pedraza twice hit the woodwork. Cristiano Ronaldo also hit the goal-frame twice in the second half as the Madrid forward seeks his first goal in the league. COSTA SPECTATES Diego Costa watched from the stands of Atletico's new Wanda Metropolitano Stadium as his soon-to-be teammates Antoine Griezmann and Yannick Carrasco scored in the second half to down Sevilla. Atletico reached a deal with Chelsea this week for Costa to return to his former club. Atletico will host Chelsea in the Champions League on Wednesday. MALAGA RALLIES Diego Rolan scored a double to help Malaga rally from a two-goal deficit in the final minutes and draw with visitor Athletic Bilbao 3-3. Malaga secured its first point of the season after it lost its first five matches. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated News7 hr. 29 min. ago

Ateneo vents ire on hapless USJ-R | SunStar - Sun.Star

Ateneo vents ire on hapless USJ-R | SunStar - Sun.Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated News7 hr. 50 min. ago

Davao mayor won't stop cops who want Caloocan stint | SunStar - Sun.Star

Davao mayor won't stop cops who want Caloocan stint | SunStar - Sun.Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated News13 hr. 29 min. ago

Baguio sends off peace caravan | SunStar - Sun.Star

Baguio sends off peace caravan | SunStar - Sun.Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsSep 22nd, 2017

2 cops arrested for extortion | SunStar - Sun.Star

2 cops arrested for extortion | SunStar - Sun.Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsSep 22nd, 2017

Bishop: Don't allow helplessness to hound PH | SunStar - Sun.Star

Bishop: Don't allow helplessness to hound PH | SunStar - Sun.Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsSep 22nd, 2017

Seares: It was how Fariñas flaunted power | SunStar - Sun.Star

Seares: It was how Fariñas flaunted power | SunStar - Sun.Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsSep 22nd, 2017

Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE; daughter sues NFL, Pats

em>By Jimmy Golen, Associated Press /em> BOSTON (AP) — Tests conducted on the brain of former football star Aaron Hernandez showed severe signs of the degenerative brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy, and his attorney said Thursday that the player’s daughter is suing the NFL and the New England Patriots for leading Hernandez to believe the sport was safe. In a news conference at his offices, Hernandez’s attorney Jose Baez said the testing showed one of the most severe cases ever diagnosed. “We’re told it was the most severe case they had ever seen for someone of Aaron’s age,” Baez said. Dr. Ann McKee, the director of the CTE Center at Boston University, concluded that the New England Patriots tight end had stage 3 of 4 of the disease, and also had early brain atrophy and large perforations in a central membrane. The lawsuit filed in federal court in Boston on Thursday claims that the team and league deprived Avielle Hernandez of the companionship of her father. It is separate from a $1 billion settlement in which the league agreed to pay families of players who suffered brain damage because of repeated head trauma while playing football. NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy declined comment, saying the league had not seen the lawsuit. Baez said Hernandez had been playing football because the NFL led him to believe it was safe. “Those representations turned out to be false,” Baez said. CTE can be caused by repeated head trauma and leads to symptoms like violent mood swings, depression and other cognitive difficulties. Hernandez killed himself in April in the jail cell where he was serving a life-without-parole sentence for a 2013 murder. His death came just hours before the Patriots visited the White House to celebrate their latest Super Bowl victory. CTE can only be diagnosed in an autopsy. A recent study found evidence of the disease in 110 of 111 former NFL players whose brains were examined. CTE has been linked with repeated concussions and involves brain damage particularly in the frontal region that controls many functions including judgment, emotion, impulse control, social behavior and memory. “When hindsight is 20-20, you look back and there are things you might have noticed but you didn’t know,” Baez said. A week before his suicide, Hernandez was acquitted in the 2012 drive-by shootings of two men in Boston. Prosecutors had argued that Hernandez gunned the two men down after one accidentally spilled a drink on him in a nightclub, and then got a tattoo of a handgun and the words “God Forgives” to commemorate the crime. Baez said he deeply regretted not raising the issue of Hernandez having CTE during his murder trials. He said they did not blame CTE for the murders because Hernandez’s defense was actual innocence. A star for the University of Florida when it won the 2008 title, Hernandez dropped to the fourth round of the NFL draft because of trouble in college that included a failed drug test and a bar fight. His name had also come up in an investigation into a shooting. In three seasons with the Patriots, Hernandez joined Rob Gronkowski to form one of the most potent tight end duos in NFL history. In 2011, his second season, Hernandez caught 79 passes for 910 yards and seven touchdowns to help the team reach the Super Bowl, and he was rewarded with a $40 million contract. But the Patriots released him in 2013, shortly after he was arrested in the killing of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, who was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancee. Hernandez was convicted and sentenced to life in prison; the conviction was voided because he died before his appeals were exhausted, though that decision is itself being appealed. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 21st, 2017