Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Rose, Johnson try to make up ground on Thomas

 DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer HONOLULU (AP) — Olympic gold medalist Justin Rose and Zach Johnson did their parts to stay in the game Friday at the Sony Open. Then it was up to Justin Thomas. Johnson birdied his last three holes for a 9-under 61, and Rose shot a 64. They joined Hudson Swafford (68) at 10-under 130. That allowed them to get within one shot of Thomas, who played Friday afternoon after opening with a 59. br /> 'Today was an important round to keep pace with them and obviously Justin Thomas, I also anticipate him playing well,' Rose said. 'It's about consistently playing well the whole week and waiting for your hot round.' br /> The conditions were so pure again — fast fairway, soft green and barely enough wind to blow a palm frond — that Rose isn't sure his 64 will be his best this week.' br /> Johnson, who has posted a 60 at the Tour Championship and at the Texas Open, holed a bunker shot for eagle on the par-5 18th as he made the turn, and he closed with a 12-foot birdie putt on No. 7, a birdie from 6 feet on No. 8 and a two-putt birdie from 30 feet on the par-5 ninth. br /> 'There wasn't any major stress,' Johnson said. br /> Swafford, who opened with a 62, could only manage a 68. br /> Webb Simpson (65) and Charles Howell III (66) were among those at 9-under 131, while the group at 132 included former Navy lieutenant Billy Hurley III (68) and Miguel Tabuena of the Philippines, who had his best year in 2016 on the Asian Tour. br /> Thomas posted the eighth sub-60 round in PGA Tour history on Thursday with a 15-foot eagle putt on the final hole. The only other player to shoot 59 in the first round was Paul Goydos in the 2010 John Deere Classic. He finished second that week to Steve Stricker, who opened with a 60. br /> Rose knows the feeling of a hot start. br /> Just over 10 years ago, he flirted with a 59 on the Palm course at Disney and settled for a 60. He was just as good the next day, but only for a short time, and had to settle for a 67. On the weekend, rounds of 72-69 left him in fourth place, five shots behind the winner, Joe Durant. br /> The message from that: It's a long week. br /> 'I think I started strong the second day ... and then yeah, stalled a bit,' Rose said. 'The rest of the field is going to keep making birdies, especially when they're playing free with nothing to lose when you are up ahead of them. You definitely need the mindset when you're that far ahead to keep the accelerator down. But it's hard to keep that sort of momentum going, for sure.' br />   .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 13th, 2017

McIlroy gets strong start to 2017 with opening 67 at SA Open

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Rory McIlroy made an impressive start to 2017 with a new set of clubs, shooting a 5-under 67 Thursday in the first round of the SA Open to put himself a stroke off the lead. Making his first appearance at the tournament since 2008, McIlroy rolled in seven birdies — including four straight from Nos. 14-17 after starting at the 10th at Glendower Golf Club. South African players Trevor Fisher Jr. and Keith Horne shared the lead after rounds of 66. With Nike announcing last year it would no longer be making golf clubs and balls, the second-ranked McIlroy has been testing out new woods, irons and a putter from other manufacturers and said his new bag 'is working pretty well.' 'I'm sure as I get accustomed to them — I mean, it's nice to play my first competitive round and play like this — I'll get even more dialed in, and chop and change a little bit,' McIlroy said. The Northern Irishman is the standout player in Johannesburg this week, making an earlier-than-usual start to his golfing year as a favor to Ernie Els, the South African great and the host of the SA Open. The galleries were drawn to McIlroy despite his early tee time of 7:10 a.m. local time and he responded with an adventurous round that included a 392-yard drive on the first hole, drawing gasps from spectators. A 20-foot putt on No. 17 completed his four-hole run of birdies before McIlroy rolled in an 8-footer on No. 2 to move to 5 under. Poor approach shots led to bogeys on the fourth and fifth, but he replied with a tee shot on the par-3 sixth that stopped on the slope in the middle of the green and rolled back down to two feet, for a tap-in birdie. He was in the rough on his final three holes but scrambled to par Nos. 7 and 9 and made a birdie on No. 8. 'I gave myself chances, felt I missed a few but I played well,' McIlroy said. 'It was a bit adventurous on the back nine, scrambled a bit and did my bit to salvage a few holes.' South African players have won 13 of the last 19 editions of the SA Open, and five of the top seven on Thursday were home players. Fisher Jr., also starting at No. 10 in the morning, made seven birdies in eight holes from the 12th to the first and parred his way home. Horne joined his compatriot in the lead with birdies on Nos. 16 and 17 coming home, continuing his good form from the Alfred Dunhill Championship in December where he finished tied for 11th. Three more South Africans, Thomas Aiken, Dean Burmester and Jbe Kruger, were tied with McIlroy after 67s, along with European Tour rookie Jordan Smith of England. Els and defending champion Brandon Stone started with 74s. Six-time major champion Nick Faldo was at 2-under 70. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 12th, 2017

Ban sa foreign act, movies iminungkahi

IMINUNGKAHI ng batikang kompositor at mang-aawit na si Anthony Castelo ang pagkakaroon ng pansamantalang ban sa mga foreign artist sa Filipinas upang bigyang pagkakataong makabangon ang humihinang lokal na industriya. Nanawagan si Castelo kay Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte sa pamamagitan ng kapuwa mang-aawit na si Freddie Aguilar na kamakailan lang ay itinalagang Presidential Adviser on Culture ........»»

Category: filipinoSource:  hatawtabloidRelated NewsJan 12th, 2017

Nicolas-Lewis persona non-grata sa PH?

BAHALA ang Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) na maghain ng diplomatic protest sa US Embassy laban kay Fil-Am billionaire Loida Nicolas-Lewis at ideklara siyang persona non grata sa Filipinas dahil sa pagpopondo at pag-uudyok ng destabilisasyon laban kay Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte. Sinabi ni Secretary to the Cabinet Leoncio Evasco Jr., sa isang chance interview kahapon ........»»

Category: filipinoSource:  hatawtabloidRelated NewsJan 10th, 2017

Former NU hitter Inaudito survives bolo attack

Philippine Air Force hitter Reuben Inaudito survived a hacking incident Sunday night while trying to break off a commotion in his hometown in Kalibo, Aklan. The former National University standout sustained wounds from an allegedly drunk attacker wielding a jungle bolo, but is already in safe condition, according to Air Force assistant coach Dante Alinsunurin.      “Ang balita sa akin ay nakiaawat lang siya tapos bigla siyang nataga,” said Alunsurin, also the NU men’s team head coach. “Nangyari daw kagabi doon sa lugar nila sa Kalibo.” Alinsurin said that it was Inaudito’s girlfriend that told him about the incident.   “Nalaman ko lang ‘yung nangyari sa girlfriend niya,” said Alinsunurin. “Pero ‘yung talagang buong detalye hindi ko pa talaga alam.” “Noong nabalitaan ko ‘yung nangyari tinawagan ko kaagad, nasa ospital na,” he added. “Hindi talaga sila makapagkwento sa akin ng buo kasi hindi ko alam kung natatakot pa o siyempre baka natataranta pa sa nangyari.” “Pero ang importante safe naman na siya,” Alinsunurin said of the open spiker. Inaudito led the Bulldogs to back-to-back titles in the UAAP from Season 75 to 76, where he won Finals Most Valuable Player, and was a vital cog in Air Force's Open Conference and Reinforced Conference championships in the 2nd Spikers’ Turf last year.   .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 2nd, 2017

Former NU hitter Inaudito survives bolo attack

Philippine Air Force hitter Reuben Inaudito survived a hacking incident Sunday night while trying to break off a commotion in his hometown in Kalibo, Aklan. The former National University standout sustained wounds from an allegedly drunk attacker wielding a jungle bolo, but is already in safe condition, according to Air Force assistant coach Dante Alinsunurin.      “Ang balita sa akin ay nakiaawat lang siya tapos bigla siyang nataga,” said Alunsurin, also the NU men’s team head coach. “Nangyari daw kagabi doon sa lugar nila sa Kalibo.” Alinsurin said that it was Inaudito’s girlfriend that told him about the incident.   “Nalaman ko lang ‘yung nangyari sa girlfriend niya,” said Alinsunurin. “Pero ‘yung talagang buong detalye hindi ko pa talaga alam.” “Noong nabalitaan ko ‘yung nangyari tinawagan ko kaagad, nasa ospital na,” he added. “Hindi talaga sila makapagkwento sa akin ng buo kasi hindi ko alam kung natatakot pa o siyempre baka natataranta pa sa nangyari.” “Pero ang importante safe naman na siya,” Alinsunurin said of the open spiker. Inaudito led the Bulldogs to back-to-back titles in the UAAP from Season 75 to 76, where he won Finals Most Valuable Player, and was a vital cog in Air Force's Open Conference and Reinforced Conference championships in the 2nd Spikers’ Turf last year.   .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 2nd, 2017

Fil-Ams lead D-League draft roster

MANILA, Philippines – Asean Basketball League standout Jason Brickman and San Beda ace Davon Potts lead the Fil-foreign players in the 2016 PBA D-League Draf.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 14th, 2016

PBA: Brickman, Potts to usher in draft

ABL standout Jason Brickman and San Beda super scorer Davon Potts lead the Fil-foreign players joining the 2016 PBA D-League Draft on December 20 at PBA Cafe in Metrowalk, Pasig......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsDec 14th, 2016

Brickman, Potts banner Fil-foreign PBA D-League aspirants

MANILA, Philippines – ABL standout Jason Brickman and San Beda super scorer Davon Potts lead the Fil-foreign players joining the 2016 PBA D-League Draft on D.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 14th, 2016

RC Cola-Army survives Generika’s fightback

RC Cola-Army survives Generika’s fightback.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsNov 27th, 2016

Digong, Trump parehong mainitin ang ulo — Obama

LIMA,Peru &'' NANINIWALA si outgoing US President Barack Obama, magiging mas maganda at matatag ang relasyon ng Filipinas at Amerika sa pagwawagi sa halalan ni President-elect Donald Trump. Ito ang sinabi ni Obama kay Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Ya.....»»

Category: filipinoSource:  hatawtabloidRelated NewsNov 23rd, 2016

Concerns about Trump loom over Obama s final foreign tour

WASHINGTON — It was supposed to be his grand valedictory tour......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 14th, 2016

Le Tour de Filipinas slated Feb. 18-21

MANILA, Philippines – The Le Tour de Filipinas, the only International Cycling Union (UCI) road race in the country, returns to Southern Luzon in 2017 with i.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 6th, 2016

Le Tour de Filipinas set Feb. 18 to 21

Le Tour de Filipinas set Feb. 18 to 21.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsNov 3rd, 2016

PH-China defense ties ‘di matatalakay

BEIJING, China &'' Nilinaw ni Foreign Affairs Sec. Perfecto Yasay, walang pag-uusapang isyung pangdepensa o military alliance sa pagitan ng Filipinas at China sa State Visit ni Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte. Sa panayam ng Philippine media delegation sa Beijin.....»»

Category: filipinoSource:  hatawtabloidRelated NewsOct 20th, 2016

Militar kakayanin kahit walang aid mula sa US at EU

TINIYAK ni Defense Sec. Delfin Lorenzana, kakayanin pa rin ng puwersa ng militar ng Filipinas kahit wala na ang foreign financial assistance mula sa Amerika at European Union (EU). Ito ay makaraan patulan at hamunin ni Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte ang pagbab.....»»

Category: filipinoSource:  hatawtabloidRelated NewsOct 8th, 2016

San Beda survives Arellano, books 8th straight NCAA juniors finals stint

MANILA, Philippines – San Beda survived a furious second half fightback by Arellano U to escape with a 102-93 victory yesterday and secure an eighth straight.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 4th, 2016

Filipinas game sa imbestigasyon ng United Nations

GALIT na galit na si Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte sa pagtuligsa ng UN,EU,US at foreign media ,kaya hamon ng Pangulo, mag-imbestiga sila rito sa Filipinas. Dahil si Pangulong Duterte na ang nag-iimbita, na magpadala ng kanilang pinakamaga-ling na mga imbestig.....»»

Category: filipinoSource:  hatawtabloidRelated NewsSep 28th, 2016

Duterte sa world leaders: walang puwedeng manghimasok sa PH

IPINAGMALAKI ni Pa-ngulong Rodrigo Duterte, malinaw niyang naiparating ang mensahe sa world leaders sa ASEAN Summit sa Laos na walang bansa na puwedeng manghimasok sa Filipinas. Ipupursige aniya ng kanyang administrasyon ang isang independent foreign poli.....»»

Category: filipinoSource:  hatawtabloidRelated NewsSep 11th, 2016

PCA Open-Cebuana Lhuillier Asian Tennis Tour begins

The country’s top netters go up against foreign contenders when the 35th Philippine Columbian Association (PCA) Open-Cebuana Lhuillier Asian Tennis Tour unfolds today at the PCA indoor shell-clay court in Paco, Manila. Reigning PCA men’s cha.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsAug 31st, 2016