Advertisements


Movie producer Weinstein to surrender on sex assault charges

By Karen Freifeld and Jonathan Allen NEW YORK (Reuters) – Film producer Harvey Weinstein was expected to surrender to authorities in New York on Friday, months after he was toppledThe post Movie producer Weinstein to surrender on sex assault charges appeared first on DZRH News......»»

Category: newsSource: dzrhnews dzrhnewsMay 25th, 2018

Weinstein attorney could face ‘impossible’ task

AFTER sexual assault charges were dropped against former International Monetary Fund chairman Dominique Strauss-Kahn in 2011, his lawyer Ben Brafman assailed the accuser’s credibility, telling Reuters: “This encounter was quick, it was consensual and she was a willing participant.” Brafman on Friday hinted he would take a similar tack defending his latest client, movie producer […] The post Weinstein attorney could face ‘impossible’ task appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMay 28th, 2018

Weinstein expected to ‘surrender’ to NY authorities Friday

NEW YORK: Disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein is expected to turn himself in to New York police on Friday to face sex crime charges, nearly eight months after his career collapsed in a blaze of assault accusations. US media reported that the former movie powerbroker — once the toast of Hollywood, with his films winning [...] The post Weinstein expected to ‘surrender’ to NY authorities Friday appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMay 25th, 2018

Harvey Weinstein set to plead innocent in NY

NEW YORK: Fallen movie mogul Harvey Weinstein was expected to plead innocent Tuesday to rape and sexual assault charges in New York, opening a legal battle for the #MeToo movement that dreams of seeing him behind bars. The 66-year-old Weinstein was charged with rape and a sex crime in New York late last month, nearly [...] The post Harvey Weinstein set to plead innocent in NY appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsJun 5th, 2018

Harvey Weinstein hit with new accusations of sexual assault

Three actresses filed a new lawsuit against Harvey Weinstein on Friday alleging sexual assault and urged other victims of the disgraced Hollywood producer to come forward and join their complaint. Melissa Thompson, one of the women filing the class action lawsuit, said she was sexually assaulted by Weinstein during a 2011 meeting to discuss a new marketing tool. Following public revelations last year about his predatory behavior, Thompson said she was referred to lawyer Benjamin Brafman and another attorney at his firm, Alex Spiro. Brafman is defending Weinstein following his indictment last week on rape and sex crime charges. "Thompson was led to believe that Brafman and...Keep on reading: Harvey Weinstein hit with new accusations of sexual assault.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 2nd, 2018

Film producer Weinstein indicted for rape

NEW YORK — Movie producer Harvey Weinstein was indicted on Wednesday on charges of rape and a criminal sexual act, Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance said, the first case to emerge from a slew of sexual misconduct allegations against him. The post Film producer Weinstein indicted for rape appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMay 31st, 2018

Rose McGowan on Weinstein: ‘One win is a win for all of us’

NEW YORK (AP) --- She was one of the earliest Harvey Weinstein accusers, and she thought the mogul might never face justice in a court of law. Now, actress Rose McGowan, who has accused Weinstein of raping her 20 years ago, is gratified but "still in shock" at the news that he is expected to surrender on Friday and finally face charges of sexual assault, in one of the scores of cases in which he's accused. And she prays that the charges will stick. "I still have very guarded hopes," McGowan told The Associated Press Thursday night. "The justice system has been something very elusive. I hope in this case it works. Because it's all true. None of this was consensual." Weinstein...Keep on reading: Rose McGowan on Weinstein: ‘One win is a win for all of us’.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 25th, 2018

Weinstein ‘believes he will be forgiven’ by Hollywood — Piers Morgan

LONDON — Movie producer Harvey Weinstein, who has been accused of sexual assault by dozens of women, believes he will eventually be forgiven by Hollywood, according to television presenter Piers Morgan. Once one of Hollywood’s most powerful figures, Weinstein has been accused by more than 70 women of sexual misconduct, including rape. Weinstein has denied […] The post Weinstein ‘believes he will be forgiven’ by Hollywood — Piers Morgan appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 30th, 2018

Hollywood speaks up on Harvey Weinstein sexual allegations

LOS ANGELES---Kate Winslet, who worked with Harvey Weinstein, did not mince words when asked recently about the sexual assault and harassment allegations surfacing one after another against the movie producer. "It's actually not that surprising, given the level of bullying and awful behavior that we all have experienced with Harvey," said Kate, whose second and last movie with Harvey was "The Reader," for which she won the Oscar best actress award in 2009. In her acceptance speech, she made it a point not to thank Harvey. In this column, Rosie O'Donnell, Rachel Bloom, Mark Ruffalo, Jeff Goldblum and Tessa Thompson also commented about the allegations that rocked Hollywood and t...Keep on reading: Hollywood speaks up on Harvey Weinstein sexual allegations.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 18th, 2017

Weinstein lawyers try again to get sex assault case tossed

NEW YORK --- Harvey Weinstein's lawyers asked Monday for a chance to question in court the former lead detective in his sexual assault case and the head of New York City's special victims division, arguing the case has been "irreparably tainted" by police misconduct and should be thrown out. The former Hollywood producer's lawyers singled out Detective Nicholas DiGaudio --- whose alleged witness coaching led prosecutors to abandon part of the case last month --- as they renewed their push to have five remaining counts dismissed. The lawyers decried DiGaudio in court papers as "a serial obstructor" who was "singularly hell-bent on concealing the truth" and proposed an evidentiar...Keep on reading: Weinstein lawyers try again to get sex assault case tossed.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 6th, 2018

'MeToo movement sends Hollywood figures into exile, not jail

LOS ANGELES (AP) --- The #MeToo movement has sent dozens of once-powerful Hollywood players into exile, but few of them have been placed in handcuffs or jail cells. And it's increasingly apparent that the lack of criminal charges may remain the norm. Harvey Weinstein has been charged with sexual assault in New York, and Bill Cosby was sent to prison in Pennsylvania in the year since stories on Weinstein in The New York Times and The New Yorker set off waves of revelations of sexual misconduct in Hollywood. But those two central figures are exceptions. A task force launched last November by Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey to handle the surge in allegations agai...Keep on reading: #MeToo movement sends Hollywood figures into exile, not jail.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 7th, 2018

Harvey Weinstein hearing moved up in NY amid possible setbacks for prosecution

One year after the explosive claims of sexual misconduct against Harvey Weinstein first came to light, he may finally have some good news, with some of the charges against him reportedly being questioned. The next hearing in a New York court in his sex crimes case has been moved up from Nov. 8 to Oct. 11 --- a possible sign that prosecutors are having difficulties making their case, local media reported Friday. The 66-year-old disgraced Hollywood producer is out on bail and has pleaded not guilty to six counts allegedly committed against three women in 2004, 2006 and 2013. The charges include rape in the first and third degree, and a criminal sex act. He could face life to p...Keep on reading: Harvey Weinstein hearing moved up in NY amid possible setbacks for prosecution.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 6th, 2018

Filipino-Italian who accused Harvey Weinstein of groping her now a Victoria’s Secret model

Filipino-Italian model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez was one of the accusers of fallen movie mogul Harvey Weinstein. Gutierrez has claimed that Weinstein groped her during a meeting in his office in Manhattan, New York City back in 2015. Investigators conducted a sting, which saw Gutierrez recording an encounter with Weinstein, who kept persuading her to come inside his hotel room despite telling him no many times. The audiotape of their encounter was published on The New Yorker in October 2017.Despite the audiotape, however, no charges were brought against Weinstein because the district attorney concluded that the evidence was insufficient. A year later, things appear to be look b...Keep on reading: Filipino-Italian who accused Harvey Weinstein of groping her now a Victoria’s Secret model.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 4th, 2018

Harvey Weinstein seeks to toss sex crimes case over ‘warm’ emails

Harvey Weinstein's defense lawyer on Friday demanded that a New York court dismiss the sex crimes charges against him, explosively disclosing "warm" emails between the disgraced Hollywood tycoon and his alleged rape victim, in which she said "I love you." Ben Brafman, one of America's most celebrated defense attorneys who helped former IMF boss Dominique Strauss-Kahn escape criminal prosecution for alleged sexual assault in 2011, called for the entire indictment against Weinstein to be dismissed, based on the emails and a barrage of technicalities. The 66-year-old former Tinseltown titan is out on bail and has pleaded not guilty to six counts allegedly committed against three w...Keep on reading: Harvey Weinstein seeks to toss sex crimes case over ‘warm’ emails.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 4th, 2018

Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty, released on bail

Updated (10:12 p.m.) NEW YORK --- Harvey Weinstein, who was previously indicted on charges involving two women, was released on bail on Monday while fighting sex crime accusations that now include a third woman. "We fight these battles one day at a time, and today we won this round," defense attorney Ben Brafman said outside court. Brafman said during an arraignment that he expects more charges. Weinstein pleaded not guilty after he was brought into the courtroom while handcuffed from behind, then uncuffed for the proceeding. An updated indictment unveiled last week alleges the movie mogul-turned-#MeToo villain performed a forcible sex act on a woman in 2006. The new char...Keep on reading: Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty, released on bail.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 9th, 2018

Harvey Weinstein indicted for sex crimes against 3rd woman

NEW YORK, USA – Harvey Weinstein was fighting rape and sexual assault charges against a total of 3 women Monday, July 2  as New York prosecutors build a high-stakes legal battle targeting the disgraced Hollywood mogul.  The 66-year-old's career imploded in October in a blaze of accusations of sexual misconduct ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 3rd, 2018

Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty: ‘We begin our fight now’

NEW YORK (AP) --- The battle lines in Harvey Weinstein's criminal case grew sharper on Tuesday as the movie mogul pleaded not guilty to rape and criminal sex act charges in New York and his lawyer promised a fight. A lawyer for Weinstein signaled he would use legal challenges to try to derail the case before it reaches trial, even as signs surfaced that prosecutors are showing their own resolve by continuing to interview potential victims. The not guilty plea marked Weinstein's first court appearance since surrendering on May 25 after months of accusations by dozens of women alleging sexual and other misconduct. Weinstein limped from an SUV and was escorted past a big crowd ...Keep on reading: Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty: ‘We begin our fight now’.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 6th, 2018

Harvey Weinstein faces 3 more lawsuits for sexual assault

THREE actresses filed a new lawsuit against Harvey Weinstein on Friday alleging sexual assault and urged other victims of the disgraced Hollywood producer to come forward and join their complaint. Melissa Thompson, one of the women filing the class action lawsuit, said she was sexually assaulted by Weinstein during a 2011 meeting to discuss a [...] The post Harvey Weinstein faces 3 more lawsuits for sexual assault appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsJun 2nd, 2018

Harvey Weinstein hit with new sexual assault allegations

NEW YORK, USA – Three actresses filed a new lawsuit against Harvey Weinstein on Friday, June 1, alleging sexual assault and urged other victims of the disgraced Hollywood producer to come forward and join their complaint. Melissa Thompson, one of the women filing the class action lawsuit, said she ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 2nd, 2018

Film mogul Harvey Weinstein appears handcuffed in court to face rape charges

NEW YORK — Movie mogul Harvey Weinstein appeared in handcuffs in a New York court on Friday to face charges of rape and other sex crimes against two of the scores of women who have accused him of misconduct, ending his reign as a Hollywood kingpin. Weinstein, the 66-year-old cofounder of the Miramax film studio […] The post Film mogul Harvey Weinstein appears handcuffed in court to face rape charges appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMay 28th, 2018

Harvey Weinstein takes books on theater, film to arrest for rape case

Harvey Weinstein was in and out of custody so quickly in his rape case, he probably didn't have time to read the books he brought with him. The film mogul carried three books under his arm as he surrendered at a New York City police station Friday. One was "Something Wonderful: Rodgers and Hammerstein's Broadway Revolution," by Todd Purdum. A second was Richard Schickel's biography of filmmaker Elia Kazan. The identity of the third book wasn't immediately apparent. Weinstein handed off the books at the police station, where he was booked quickly. An associate was carrying them when he left court a few hours later. The film producer denies charges that he raped one woma...Keep on reading: Harvey Weinstein takes books on theater, film to arrest for rape case.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 27th, 2018