Advertisements


MILF disowns text messages warning of gov’t ‘secret war’

DAVAO CITY---The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has disowned text messages alerting people about a supposed "secret war" by the government against Muslims. In a statement, the MILF said it never issued such a warning. The text, attributed to peace panel chair Mohagher Iqbal, said the government was preparing to arrest Moros and would launch an all-out war against the MILF after trashing the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law. "Don't believe anything in this text message... There is no truth to this," the MILF said. One social media user said he did not think that a Muslim was behind the text, noting spelling errors in the words "Allah" and the greeting "Assalamu Alaikum." ---Al...Keep on reading: MILF disowns text messages warning of gov’t ‘secret war’.....»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerJun 11th, 2018

FDA: No truth in HIV contamination of Thai canned products

          The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cautioned the public not to share unverified text messages claiming that canned goods from Thailand had been contaminated by human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).   In an advisory, the agency issued its warning against circulating unverified, misleading and false information through text messages or social media about Thailand's canned goods. A copy of the supposed warning was posted on the FDA website, in which the public was cautioned not to eat canned fruit products from Thailand because of HIV contamination.   The alleged warning added that many types of canned frui...Keep on reading: FDA: No truth in HIV contamination of Thai canned products.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 16th, 2018

ALERT: Davao City radio broadcaster gets death threats for sharp commentaries vs gov’t

December 18, 2017 A radio broadcaster in Davao City received a series of death threats on December 18, Monday, for her sharp commentaries against the government. Kathyrine Cortez, anchor of Davao City-based Radyo ni Juan, received several text messages from number 0946-700-2090 warning her to slow down on her criticisms. The first message, which was […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsDec 19th, 2017

Russia talks LGBT tolerance for WCup but locals have doubts

By James Ellingworth and Iuliia Subbotovska, Associated Press MOSCOW (AP) — Tolerated during the World Cup, Russia's LGBT communities face a return to widespread discrimination when the FIFA circus packs up and leaves the country in mid-July. As head of Russia's LGBT Sports Federation, Alexander Agapov says he can't advertise sports events without hiring security and he's been attacked on public transport. Still, he predicts foreigners arriving for the World Cup won't notice a thing. "In the stadium and around it will be quite safe, I believe," to display symbols of gay activism like the rainbow flag, he told The Associated Press. That echoes the tolerant line from Russia's government-run World Cup organizing committee. "All visitors to Russia in 2018 - regardless of race, gender, religion, ability or sexual orientation - can expect a warm welcome," it said in a statement. "Persons will not be fined for expressing their feelings. The display of rainbow flags in the stands or at public celebrations will be allowed." Rainbow flags are generally seen by Russian authorities as banned "gay propaganda". Under Russian law, anyone who displays a rainbow flag in a public setting where children are present — such as a stadium — could be fined. Jonny Dzhibladze of the "Coming Out" organization in St. Petersburg suggested foreign LGBT fans will be treated better than locals. During the tournament, "if there's some kind of attack or abuse, then maybe the authorities will even start to investigate it or publicly condemn it as a demonstration case," he said. "But, knowing Russian media and the homophobic rhetoric that they use, it will probably be framed as: 'These crazy rainbow people have come from Europe. Let's forgive them and put up with them while they're here. They're guests. But as soon as they leave, we return to our Russian traditional values.'" A 2013 law bans so-called "propaganda" of homosexuality to under-18s. In practice, it's been used to stifle debate in any public context or to prevent protests in any public context where a child could conceivably see or hear. Russian anti-gay rights groups have used social media to out LGBT teachers and have them fired. Some criminals, Dzhibladze says, use gay dating apps to find targets to rob, assuming their victims won't trust the police. The law puts a financial burden on Agapov's sports federation. A football competition might only require two fields in a sports complex, he says, but the organization has to hire a third nearby, just to block it from being rented for a children's event. If that happened and children could see the LGBT competition, it could be breaking the law. Vitaly Milonov, a lawmaker who played a key role in passing the "gay propaganda" law, has called for a harder line on World Cup fans. Comparing gay people to chimpanzees, he said "sodomites" flying the rainbow flag had no place at the tournament. "I want to remind them that, no matter how much they try lobbying, their hideous way of life is condemned all over the world," he told the AP. "They do not have the right to propagandize their hideousness." Last year, reports emerged from the predominantly Muslim region of Chechnya in southern Russia that men were tortured and killed on suspicion of being gay. Chechnya will be home to the Egyptian team during the World Cup. Dozens spoke about torture at secret prison facilities overseen by allies of Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov, who has claimed there are no gays in Chechnya. A Russian government investigation said there was no proof. Russia's World Cup is also a test for FIFA's image ahead of the 2022 tournament in Qatar and a possible 2026 World Cup in Morocco, both countries where gay sex is illegal. FIFA says it has a "zero-tolerance approach to discrimination" and has discussed gay rights issues with Russia. "We are absolutely aware of discriminatory concerns and have always addressed them in close collaboration with the (local organizing committee), the Russian Football Union and the Russian authorities," FIFA's head of sustainability and diversity, Federico Addiechi, told the AP by e-mail. Russia has no openly gay professional athletes. However, Agapov says he's had messages of support from closeted athletes and knows of one well-known male footballer who dates men. "We will be happy if one day a gay footballer will come out in Russian football because we know that there are gay footballers," he said, recounting how he found the player using a gay dating app in a World Cup host city. "It works in Russian football like 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'. He's open to date with guys, but he's not open to speak about his sexuality in public." The World Cup is unlikely to change much, Agapov predicts. "The World Cup is over, we are still here, and the persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya and other regions is still going on." ___ Subbotovska reported from St. Petersburg, Russia......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 2nd, 2018

Wendy s PH informs users of site data breach after NPC intervention

MANILA, Philippines – Wendy's Philippines told users of a data breach it suffered on April 23, following intervention by the National Privacy Commission (NPC) which ordered them to inform users of the security issue on their site. According to text messages sent to affected parties, the attackers took names, ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 8th, 2018

Unanswered calls, text messages forces man to commit suicide

A HELPER of a trucking firm allegedly took his own life after getting the cold shoulder from his live-in partner. Bob (real name withheld), 32, a native of Buenavista, Guimaras, is believed to have used the seat belt of a 10-wheeler wing van truck to hang his neck. His body was found at around 5:30 […] The post Unanswered calls, text messages forces man to commit suicide appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsApr 25th, 2018

Three Facebook users sue over collection of call, text history

Three users of the Facebook Messenger app sued Facebook on Tuesday, saying the social network violated their privacy by collecting logs of their phone calls and text messages, in the latest legal challenge facing the company......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsMar 28th, 2018

‘Beast view’ on the island

Text and photos by Aries B. Espinosa IN December 2017 Nissan Philippines, Inc. (NPI) demonstrated to the market the practical application of its Nissan Intelligent Mobility (NIM) feature in actual driving conditions via a trip to La Union province using the new X-Trail enhanced with the NIM-innovated Around View Monitor (AVM), Forward Collision Warning, and […] The post ‘Beast view’ on the island appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMar 27th, 2018

Call and text history not logged without user permission – Facebook

MANILA, Philippines – Facebook clarified that it does not collect the actual content of calls or text messages when users choose to upload their contact information, Reuters reported. The response came as Facebook users discovered that the social network has been logging their call and text history. Upon ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMar 26th, 2018

Imee warns vs scams on Marcos wealth

VILLASIS, PANGASINAN--Do not believe anyone collecting money in the name of the Marcos family, the eldest daughter of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos said hereon Wednesday. "Our family has never, ever authorized anyone to collect whatever amounts have been taken because of a promise to share the alleged Marcos wealth," said Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos. On March 17, some residents of Calasiao town were lured to a membership drive by a group claiming it was preparing to distribute wealth amassed by Marcos. They were made to pay for identification cards. The group, named Perlas Foundation, sent text messages to "beneficiaries," requiring attendance in a meeting and for recruits to ...Keep on reading: Imee warns vs scams on Marcos wealth.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 23rd, 2018

Globe blocks over 400M spam, scam messages

As a result of its intensified anti-scamming campaign, Globe Telecom has blocked over 400 million spam SMS messages in 2017. The telecommunications provider achieved this through its comprehensive and fully automated mechanism, which can filter out unwanted and unsolicited text messages. In line with this, Globe has also deactivated 14,013….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsMar 11th, 2018

‘Fake news’ on noncontact apprehension policy hits MMDA, sows confusion

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) maintained that traffic constables would still flag down erring motorists, contrary to text messages that circulated on Friday claiming otherwise.   Jojo Garcia, acting MMDA general manager, made the clarification in an effort to prevent possible confrontations that may arise between motorists and traffic constables due to the "erroneous reports," which even tagged Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea as the source of the agency's change in policy.   Purported advisory   "It's fake news. We deny such reports. It is not true there's no more ground apprehension," Garcia said.   On Friday, a p...Keep on reading: ‘Fake news’ on noncontact apprehension policy hits MMDA, sows confusion.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 9th, 2018

Globe deactivates over 14,000 SIM cards found to be sources of text scams

Globe Telecom Inc said it has deactivated over 14,000 SIM cards found to be sources of spam and scam text messages. The telco giant said in a press release on Monday, March 5 that it deactivated 14,013 SIM cards, which turned out to be sources of spam text messages. Using a filtering function and blocking […] The post Globe deactivates over 14,000 SIM cards found to be sources of text scams appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMar 5th, 2018

AFP is ready for ‘another’ urban warfare vs terrorists—Brawner

        The military is ready for another "Marawi siege," following the warning of Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) chair Murad Ibrahim that jihadists loyal to the Islamic State group (ISIS) could seize another city in the Philippines.   "Of course, from our experience from the Marawi siege, we are preparing for another urban warfare. In the eventuality that something similar to Marawi City happens, we should be ready," said Joint Task Force Ranao Deputy Commander Col. Romeo Brawner during the Bangon Marawi briefing in Malacaang on Friday.   "We are now reorganizing our units, we are reequipping and retraining. So from the sid...Keep on reading: AFP is ready for ‘another’ urban warfare vs terrorists—Brawner.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 23rd, 2018

Dire warning

THE chief of the Philippines’ main Muslim rebel group warned Tuesday that jihadists loyal to the Islamic State group, flush with looted guns and cash, could seize another Filipino city after Marawi last year. Murad Ebrahim has billed his Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), which has made peace with the….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsFeb 20th, 2018

Lacson bats for removal of interconnection fees for cellphone subscribers

        In a bid to protect mobile phone subscribers, Senator Panfilo Lacson has pushed for theremoval of the "burdensome" interconnection fees charged by public telecommunications entities (PTEs) for calls across two different networks.   Lacson introduced Tuesday an amendment to Senate Bill 1636, or the Lifetime Cellphone Number Act, seeking to remove the interconnectivity fee or charge imposed by PTEs on mobile phone subscribers for domestic calls and SMS (text) messages.   "We are here to protect the consumers. And the consumer, not being made aware he is calling through a different PTE (public telecommunications entity), is h...Keep on reading: Lacson bats for removal of interconnection fees for cellphone subscribers.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 14th, 2018

Rights of a past due individual borrower

Question: I have been past due for quite some time and I have been receiving seemingly unending phone calls, text messages and letters from debt collectors. Some have even resorted to threats of filing court cases and exposing my past obligations to friends, officemates and even to our company HR. Is there any remedy to the stressful life of a person who is already down and out with so much debt? ---asked at "Ask a friend, ask Efren" free service available at www.personalfinance.ph and Facebook. Answer: The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) was cognizant of the plight of past due borrowers. As such, the BSP came up with the following regulations: 1. Based on a BSP advisory dated...Keep on reading: Rights of a past due individual borrower.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 6th, 2018

3 suspects in kidnapping case nabbed in Nueva Ecija

GAPAN CITY --- Three suspected kidnappers wereon Friday, Jan. 26, for holding a 23-year-old woman for ransom, after she was abducted on Jan. 19, according to a belated police report. Jerome Jalova, 22, and Jonardo Baay, 23, were caught retrieving P7,600 in cash from a branch of Smart Pera Padala, money remittance center, in Barangay Bayanihan here, Supt. Peter Madria, chief of the Gapan City Police Station, said. The missing woman's father, Eufrocino Deligiado, 63, alerted the police about a series of text messages indicating that his daughter, Mylene, had been taken and would be freed in exchange for P7,600. Jeffrey, Jalova's 30-year-old brother, allegedly sent the text message...Keep on reading: 3 suspects in kidnapping case nabbed in Nueva Ecija.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 28th, 2018

Agot Isidro on sexuality, why she’s single: ‘Wala akong dyowa kasi dense ako!’

hushed calls, flirty exchange of text messages, the mandatory flowers and candlelit fine wine-and-dines. But for actress Agot Isidro, who turns 52 this year, these trivialities seem to hold no water f.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJan 19th, 2018

Agot Isidro on sexuality, why she’s single: ‘Wala akong dyowa kasi dense ako!’

hushed calls, flirty exchange of text messages, the mandatory flowers and candlelit fine wine-and-dines. But for actress Agot Isidro, who turns 52 this year, these trivialities seem to hold no water f Source link link: Agot Isidro on sexuality, why she’s single: ‘Wala akong dyowa kasi dense ako!’.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJan 19th, 2018

College girl admits fabricating her own abduction

CEBU CITY --- It turned to be all fabricated. The police found out that the young woman only made up the story that she was abducted by five men to avoid paying the money given to her by school officials to buy books. Chief Insp.Jacinto Mandal, Carbon police station chief, said they were mulling filing charges against Kristel Jade Wety, 21, just to teach her a lesson. Wety, in the meantime, was in the custody of her mother after she claimed she was released by her abductorson Mondaynight, hours after the supposed abduction. Wety sent a barrage of text messages to her sister, asking for help because she had been abductedabout8 a.m.on Mondayby five men -- three foreigners and t...Keep on reading: College girl admits fabricating her own abduction.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 9th, 2018