Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Makati court resumes Trillanes rebellion trial after eight-year break

The Makati court revived the trial nearly eight years after it dismissed the case against Trillanes citing President Benigno Aquino III's grant of amnesty in 2010......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 27th, 2019

Trillanes to turn over Matobato to PNP on Friday

Opposition senator Antonio Trillanes IV said he will turn over the confessed hitman Edgar Matobato to the Philippine National Police (PNP) without waiting for Matobato’s arrest warrant issued by a Davao city court......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 6th, 2016

Matobato asks court to reconsider arrest; Trillanes asks PNP to give him warrant

Matobato asks court to reconsider arrest; Trillanes asks PNP to give him warrant.....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsOct 6th, 2016

Matobato asks court to reconsider arrest; Trillanes asks PNP to give him warrant

Matobato asks court to reconsider arrest; Trillanes asks PNP to give him warrant.....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsOct 6th, 2016

Court lifts arrest warrant for Dayan’s daughter

A Quezon City court has lifted the warrant issued for the arrest of the daughter of Ronnie Dayan, former driver of detained Sen. Leila de Lima, after she failed to appear in a hearing on the senator’s disobedience to summons case......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 20th, 2019

Former FIFA head Blatter: Sarkozy meeting key to Qatar vote

By Graham Dunbar, Associated Press GENEVA (AP) — Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter says the arrest of soccer great Michel Platini as part of a French corruption probe lends weight to his version of how the United States lost the 2022 World Cup vote to Qatar. Blatter told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he has insisted for years that the result of the 2010 vote was swayed by a meeting in Paris two weeks earlier involving then-French President Nicolas Sarkozy, Platini and Qatar's future Emir. Blatter spoke hours after Platini, the former France midfielder who was the UEFA president at the time of the vote, was detained in Paris on Tuesday by French authorities who also questioned two former Sarkozy aides. "It's all detailed — what I always said," Blatter told the AP in a telephone interview from Zurich, citing the twobooks he has published since being banned by FIFA. Qatar beat the long-favored U.S. 14-8 in a final round of voting by a since-discredited FIFA executive committee. Most of the voters have since been banned by FIFA — including Blatter and Platini — indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice, or implicated elsewhere in financial wrongdoing. Two weeks ahead of the vote in Zurich, Platini had been hosted by Sarkozy at the French presidential residence, and met senior Qatari officials including then-crown prince Sheikh Tamim. According to Blatter, that Élysée Palace lunch changed the course of FIFA's plan to award the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 edition to the U.S. on the same day. "Platini phoned me and said, 'Listen, president, our gentlemen's agreement which we have made inside the FIFA executive committee will have difficulties to work,'" Blatter said Tuesday. In Blatter's version, Platini — who in 2015 acknowledged switching sides — and three other voters from European soccer body UEFA changed their planned American support. "It was four votes which have disappeared," he said. "If you change the four votes then the winner will be the USA." Platini has long insisted that the meeting did not influence his vote for Qatar less than two weeks later. "Sarkozy never asked me to vote for Qatar, but I knew what would be good," he told the AP in 2015. But, in the same interview, he also said that he "might have told" American officials earlier that he was going to vote for the United States' bid. On Tuesday, Platini's representatives denied any wrongdoing on his part, saying he is "absolutely confident in the future" and has "strictly nothing to reproach himself for." The 83-year-old Blatter, who is serving a six-year ban by the FIFA ethics committee, was interviewed as a potential witness by French investigators in Zurich in April 2017. On a day of intrigue for Blatter, the attorney general for Switzerland was recused from overseeing a sweeping criminal investigation of FIFA officials. The Swiss, French and American cases have shared information and evidence over the past five years, since the Blatter-led FIFA filed a complaint in 2014 about suspected money laundering in the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding contests. Now, Switzerland's federal criminal court removed attorney general Michael Lauber from his department's case because of undeclared meetings with current FIFA president Gianni Infantino. The federal court says it upheld requests by two claimants it did not identify. "Now I get part of my trust and confidence in the Swiss justice back," said Blatter, who has been a criminal suspect since September 2015 but never charged. He denies wrongdoing in a case which ended his 18-year FIFA presidency, and asked Tuesday: "Why the hell is not all over yet?" Criminal proceedings against Blatter are among at least 25 opened by Lauber's federal prosecution team in the wider soccer probe. Lauber's job has been at risk since two 2016 meetings with Infantino were revealed last November in the Football Leaks series publishing confidential emails and documents from the soccer industry. A disciplinary case was opened against Lauber last month when an undeclared third meeting with Infantino in Bern in June 2017 was revealed. "This is an old story," Blatter said of the investigations against him, adding he is recovering from knee replacement surgery four weeks ago. "I do hope that the Lord will give me enough time to live and to have a look at the end of this story.".....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 19th, 2019

Appellate court to decide on rights defenders’ plea sans presentation of witnesses

Cristina Palabay,secretary general of Karapatan, said, "We have not been given the chance to be heard." The post Appellate court to decide on rights defenders’ plea sans presentation of witnesses appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsJun 18th, 2019

Netanyahu s wife convicted of misusing public funds

JERUSALEM (UPDATED) – An Israeli court Sunday, June 16, convicted the wife of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of fraudulently using state funds for meals , under a plea bargain which dropped more severe charges. While the ruling cut short a high-profile trial, the Netanyahu family's legal woes are far from over: the veteran premier himself ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 16th, 2019

Elenita Binay acquitted in P72-M office fixtures graft case

MANILA, Philippines – The anti-graft court Sandiganbayan acquitted former Makati mayor Elenita Binay in her P72 million graft case involving the purchase of alleged overpriced city hall furniture in 1999. “The Demurrer to Evidence filed by the accused Elenita S. Binay is GRANTED. Accordingly, the instant case against ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 15th, 2019

Sandigan says evidence strong enough to convict Jinggoy of plunder, trial to continue

The anti-graft court rejected former Sen. Jinggoy Estrada’s plea seeking to dismiss the plunder case over the pork barrel scam......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 14th, 2019

WellMed owner loses court plea, stays detained

WellMed owner loses court plea, stays detained.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJun 13th, 2019

Trillanes: We will have feast day in court with Advincula as witness

The senator dared the police, which is looking into claims made by "Bikoy," to file a case in court......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 11th, 2019

Self-confessed killer of Lapu-Lapu teen pleads not guilty to murder charges

LAPU-LAPU CITY — Renato Llenes, the self-confessed killer of Christine Lee Silawan, has entered a not guilty plea to the murder charges  he is facing for the brutal death of 16-year-old teen from Lapu-Lapu City. Llenes was arraigned before Branch 70 of the Lapu-Lapu City Regional Trial Court past 9:30 a.m. on Friday, June 7, […] The post Self-confessed killer of Lapu-Lapu teen pleads not guilty to murder charges appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 7th, 2019

Trillanes cites deep wound in declining Makati teaching post

Accepting the offer of Sen. Nancy Binay to teach at the University of Makati would be insensitive on his part, Sen. Antontio Trillanes IV said Thursday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 6th, 2019

Trillanes ready to be on other side of Congress probes

At the Kapihan sa Senado forum, the vocal critic of Duterte recalled that his being a lawmaker did not keep him from being sued in court......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 6th, 2019

Junjun Binay to appeal CA ruling

Former Makati mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay Jr. will ask the Court of Appeals (CA) to reconsider its decision that barred him perpetually from holding public office......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 6th, 2019

Past is past? Nancy Binay offers Trillanes teaching job, free hospitalization in Makati

MANILA, Philippines – As Senator Antonio Trillanes IV prepares to leave the Senate, Senator Nancy Binay – whose family the opposition lawmaker had subjected to exposés several years ago – offered him a teaching job and even free hospitalization in Makati. Senator Panfilo Lacson first revealed this on Twitter, joking ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 5th, 2019

SC sets debates on Writ of Kalikasan for parts of West Philippine Sea

The Supreme Court will hear arguments a plea by Palawan fisherfolk for a writ of kalikasan for the rehabilitation and protection of the marine environment in Scarborough Shoal, Ayungin Shoal and Panganiban Reef in the West Philippine Sea......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 4th, 2019

Junjun Binay, tinaggalan ng karapatang makaupo sa public office

Manila, Philippines – Hinatulan ng Court of Appeals (CA) ng perpetual disqualification sa pagkuha ng anumang posisyon sa gobyerno si dating Makati mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay Jr. kaugnay sa mga iregularidad sa P1.3-billion school […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsJun 4th, 2019

All s well that ends well for No. 1 Osaka at French Open

By Howard Fendrich, Associated Press PARIS (AP) — Naomi Osaka screamed "Oh, my God!" after one shanked shot. Mouthed something and clasped her hands together, as if praying, after another. There were plenty of deep sighs and exaggerated eyerolls, too. The No. 1-seeded Osaka got off to a terrible start at the French Open again, never masking her frustration. After some slip-ups near the end, Osaka also prevailed again, displaying the grit and groundstrokes that just won't let her lose during what's become a 16-match Grand Slam winning streak. Osaka trailed by a set and a break Thursday against former No. 1 Victoria Azarenka in the second round at Roland Garros, before coming all the way back to win an entertaining matchup 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 and prolong her bid for a third consecutive major championship. "I have this mindset that I feel like I can win if it gets down to the wire. Like, if I have to break a person, I feel like I have the ability to do that," Osaka said. "So I probably shouldn't wait until the last minute." Probably. In the first round, Osaka not only dropped the opening set, but did so by a 6-0 score. This time, Osaka ceded the first four games against Azarenka and was responsible for their match's initial seven unforced errors. "Technically, like, she kind of killed me in the first set," Osaka said, "and I just kept trying to find a way to stay positive." Defending champion Simona Halep required that same sort of resolve to get through her own test, blowing a big lead in the second set and a trio of match points before holding on to beat 87th-ranked Magda Linette 6-4, 5-7, 6-3. Halep, who said afterward she felt a "little bit sick" and plans to "sleep all day tomorrow," was up a set and 5-3 in the second before dropping four games in a row and getting broken twice while serving for the match. Neither Osaka nor Halep managed to put on the sort of solid performance seen from Serena Williams — barely bothered during a 6-3, 6-2 victory over qualifier Kurumi Nara — or top-seeded man Novak Djokovic, also a straight-set winners. Azarenka sought to control points with deep, attacking strokes and by going after Osaka's backhand side. "I played very smart. I really played the right spots," Azarenka said. "I was doing everything that I was supposed to do. And, especially, moving well and pushing her back." Azarenka knows a thing or two about how to perform on the sport's biggest stages: She won two titles at the Australian Open, reached two finals at the U.S. Open and was a semifinalist at both Wimbledon and, back in 2013, the French Open. She is currently ranked 43rd, though, on account of missing time over the past few seasons while pregnant and then dealing with a custody issue involving her son. So what, in terms of talent and tenacity, could have passed for a late-in-the-proceedings showdown at a major was held, instead, in Week 1, with the temperature barely above 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 Celsius) and the occasional raindrop. When Azarenka sprinted for a cross-court forehand winner that closed a 15-stroke exchange, she led 4-2 in the second set after 77 minutes. They would play for more than 1½ additional hours, and Azarenka certainly had opportunities to edge even farther ahead, such as when she had a break point to go up 5-2 and serve for the victory but netted a forehand. Or the three times she was one point from leading 5-3 but got broken there with her second double-fault of the game. It was Azarenka's serve that faltered down the stretch. It also was Osaka's top-notch returning that contributed to a key stretch in which she grabbed 9 of 11 games. "She has, obviously, a lot of confidence," Azarenka said. Which Osaka should, of course, given that she won the U.S. Open in September and the Australian Open in January and is trying to become the first woman in tennis history to collect her first three Slam trophies in a row. "She's very powerful. She's very explosive," Azarenka said. "Her shots are pretty heavy. She can hit both sides, pretty even. She has a big serve, and she's consistent. ... And proving that she deserves to be where she's at right now." All of which is true. And all of which made it fascinating, then, to hear Osaka describe her attitude going into the match. "Today I kind of felt like a challenger," she said. "Like, I know she went to the semis here before, so obviously she has a lot more experience here," said the 21-year-old Osaka, who has never been past the third round in Paris but is 9-1 on clay in 2019 after entering the season with a 9-11 mark on the slow surface. "She won Grand Slams and she was No. 1 way before I was. I'm still kind of new at this." New at it, maybe. Good at it, definitely......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 31st, 2019