Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Ferrer assures cooperation and support for Lacson

BACOLOD City – Vice Governor-elect Jeffrey Ferrer assured Governor-elect Eugenio Jose Lacson of support and cooperation from his office despite coming from different parties in the elections. Ferrer belongs to United Negros Alliance while Lacson is one of the stalwarts of Love Negros Team. Ferrer was proclaimed this afternoon by the Board of Canvassers as the duly […] The post Ferrer assures cooperation and support for Lacson appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsMay 17th, 2019

South Sudan adversaries meet in bid to save peace deal

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia – South Sudan's rival parties began two days of talks in Addis Ababa on Thursday, May 2, in a bid to salvage a peace deal , with just days left before a unity government is meant to be formed. President Salva Kiir, rebel leader Riek Machar and a handful of other ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 3rd, 2019

Ronaldo nets 600th club goal as goalscoring race heats up

By Daniella Matar and Andrew Dampf, Associated Press MILAN (AP) — Cristiano Ronaldo's unrelenting hunger for goals is plain to see. The Juventus forward netted his 600th club goal on Saturday and celebrated with typical joy. But his desire to score was far more evident in the first half against Inter Milan when he fired over the bar and showed anguish and frustration. That appeared to spur Ronaldo to the equalizer after the break as Juventus came back to draw with bitter rival Inter 1-1 in Serie A. "Ronaldo is lethal, I have him, and I'm happy," Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri said. "It's important to have a player like him. After he missed a chance he got very angry, then he played a different game." Ronaldo already plays a different game to most. And after alreading clinching a record-extending eighth successive Serie A title, Ronaldo could become the first player to win the top goalscorer award and the Serie A title in his first season in Italy. The 34-year-old Ronaldo has 20 league goals for Juventus, three less than league leader and Sampdoria forward Fabio Quagliarella. He could also become the first player to win the top goalscorer award in three of Europe's top five leagues, having claimed the prize in Spain (three times) and England. There are four rounds remaining. Ronaldo has been playing and scoring regularly, even while being accused of raping a woman in 2009 in the United States — something the Portugal star denies. The strike against Inter Milan was his 27th for Juventus in all competitions. Ronaldo scored 450 for Real Madrid, 118 for Manchester United and five for Sporting Lisbon. "With him you always start in front, we are lucky to have him with us," Juventus captain Giorgio Chiellini said. "He will help Juventus win more." Earlier in the season, Ronaldo became the first player to net 400 goals across Europe's top five leagues. CONTE CRAZINESS Roma fans are starting to believe the reports that Antonio Conte could become the club's next coach. With Claudio Ranieri in a caretaker role following Eusebio Di Francesco's firing, speculation is rampant that Roma is in talks with Conte about taking over the team for next season. When Conte, the former Juventus, Italy, and Chelsea coach, was spotted at Rome's Leonardo Da Vinci Airport on Sunday, Roma fans stopped him for selfies and spread the word on social media — even though it appeared Conte was merely traveling to his home in Turin. While the Roman-born Ranieri has said he would like to remain with Roma, even he acknowledged the club would do well to hire Conte. "I would love to see him on the Roma bench, but I don't know anything: I would be the last to know," Ranieri said with a smile following Roma's 3-0 win over Cagliari on Saturday. "I would be super happy if Conte came in. I would go and collect him from the airport." Retired Roma captain Francesco Totti, who has a position in Roma's management, called Conte "one of the best coaches in Europe." "Wherever he's gone he's won. Any squad would do something crazy to get him," Totti said, adding that there are also reports that Inter Milan and Bayern Munich are interested in Conte. "There are a lot of squads chasing him." ATALANTA STADIUM Fresh off qualifying for the Italian Cup final, Atalanta has announced plans for a complete overhaul of its Atleti Azzurri d'Italia stadium. Work on the 40 million euro ($45 million) project will begin following Atalanta's game against Udinese on Monday, meaning the team will play its final two home matches of the season in Reggio Emilia at Mapei Stadium, Sassuolo's ground. The three-phase project should be completed in time for the 2021-22 season, at which time the stadium will be renamed Gewiss Arena. Atalanta beat Fiorentina on Thursday to advance to the May 15 Cup final against Lazio. ___ Dampf reported from Rome......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsApr 29th, 2019

Negros farm workers’ leader slain as rights violations complaints traded at Rome talks

Negros farm workers’ leader slain as rights violations complaints traded at Rome talks.....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Jordan Clarkson and this Basketball Crazy Nation

The Philippines was not always a basketball nation. After World War II, all Filipino boys would get out in the fields and play baseball. In fact, we hosted the World Baseball Championships once. It was only in the 70’s when PBA came along and when the country became the basketball crazy country that it is. Now, the Philippines is at the epicenter of the basketball diaspora. It hosted the FIBA World Basketball Championships. Almost every boy grew up playing pickup basketball and anyone and everyone had their own signature ‘bali’ move. There was a time that fathers and sons (and of course, daughters) watched games together, either cheering for the same teams or making jabs at each other because they rooted for rivals. It has the oldest basketball league in the Asia and now, it has a player of Filipino descent playing for one of the greatest basketball franchises in the world – Jordan Clarkson, playing a vital role as a member of the Los Angeles Lakers. Clarkson was raised aware of his Filipino heritage. Annette, Clarkson’s mother, hails from Pampanga but moved to America with her mother Marcelina Tullao at a very young age. Annette then met Jordan’s father, Mike Clarkson, while serving as a reservist in the Air Force. Jordan, like many young Filipino-Americans, professes a love for lumpia and chicken adobo. As a high school student at Metzger Middle School in San Antonio, Texas, he wore an ornate Barong Tagalog, the Philippines' national costume, while posing in front of the Philippine exhibit. He has been to the Philippines multiple times, even playing some pickup basketball in one of the courts that dot the landscape of the Philippines.   And as of this writing, a little more than a day and a half a way, Filipinos are trying to get Jordan into the biggest event of the basketball world – the NBA All-Stars. It all started from a call on the internet to start voting and using the hashtag 'NBAVOTE Jordan Clarkson on posts and tweets and the Filipinos heard that call. 'NBAVOTE Jordan Clarkson began circulating around the internet, snowballing into a call not just for Jordan Clarkson, but a call for unity in a country that is also known as a social media powerhouse – and the world is starting to take notice. Jordan Clarkson has also taken notice of the efforts, posting on his Facebook account a short video saying, “Hey Facebook fans just want to say thank so much for all your votes. I am so humbled. Please keep posting 'NBAVOTE Jordan Clarkson. Salamat salamat po. Mahal ko kayo.” As of the latest NBA All-Star Voting Returns, Jordan still has not cracked the top 10 of Western Conference guards. Last year’s unanimous MVP, Golden State’s Stephen Curry, leads with 990,390 votes. Close behind are Houston’s James Harden and Oklahoma’s Russell Westbrook with 961,185 and 899,024, respectively. Rounding out the top 10 are Golden State’s Klay Thompson with 555,430, Los Angeles Clippers’ Chris Paul with 379,076, Portland’s Damian Lillard with 208,171, Houston’s Eric Gordon with 191,407, Golden State’s Andre Igoudala with 130,224, San Antonio’s Manu Ginobili with 122,333 and Minnesota’s Zach Levine with 94,867. However, signs are looking good for Jordan as Scott notes the strong push coming from social media. “There is a significant increase from Jan. 9 when fans launched the campaign and Jordan’s mentions are much higher than the bottom three players,” she said. “On Jan. 12, Jordan had 53,020 posts while Ginobili had 10,078, Lavine 781 and Igoudala 731. Jordan’s volume shows a spiked upward trend.” The call right now is for every Filipino with access to the internet to vote at least once in the next two days (Monday all day and Tuesday early morning before lunch) and to make every vote count for Clarkson. Fans can vote through the NBA.com and the NBA App wherein fans can submit a ballot of two guards and three frontcourt players, once per day. On social media, using the hashtag 'NBAVOTE Jordan Clarkson also counts as votes, whether as personal posts or comments on another post on Facebook (just as long as the post is public) or tweeting and retweeting the same on Twitter. On Google, fans may also use the search team “NBA Vote All-Star” or “NBA Vote Los Angeles Lakers” to select Jordan Clarkson. The Philippines, a basketball crazy nation, is at the cusp of history. The challenge is now being sent to every Filipino all over the world to make a difference. Every vote counts to bring Clarkson into the NBA All-Stars. And maybe, just maybe, basketball will unite Filipinos again. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 16th, 2017

Diego Maradona hopeful of future Napoli role

  NAPLES, Italy (AP) — Former Napoli star Diego Maradona is in talks to work with the Serie A side, where he is still idolized nearly 27 years after leaving the club. Maradona, who is in Naples for a theatrical event on Monday celebrating the club's first title win, met with Napoli President Aurelio de Laurentiis on Saturday night. 'It was the first step,' Maradona said Sunday. 'First of all I have to sort out the problems I have here in Italy, then I can work for Napoli in Italy and in the world. 'We have to do things well because I want a winning team, a team that can play on level terms against Juve, Inter, Milan and Roma. He understood immediately because in these years he has grown from a president who didn't know much about football to become an expert today.' An Italian court is scheduled to finally end the decades-long battle between Maradona and the Italian government on Feb. 28. Maradona has always insisted he does not owe any of the millions in back taxes the government claims are due. The 56-year-old Argentine arrived in the city on Saturday night and was greeted by more than 100 cheering Napoli fans, who had waited in freezing temperatures outside his hotel for a glimpse of their idol. 'It continues to surprise me,' Maradona said. 'There are kids who have never seen me play and today they get excited and cry for a photo with me. 'Every day I feel the affection and love the Neapolitan people have for me. The father has transmitted it to his son, who has then transmitted it to his and this will never end. After 30 years the same love continues, like the first woman you have in your life.' Maradona led Napoli to its only two league titles in 1987 and 1990 and scored a club record 115 goals between 1984 and 1991. 'After a match against Cremona at the beginning of the season which didn't count for anything but which drew 80,000 people, I understood that here at Napoli we needed to play for the title,' Maradona said. 'I came from Barcelona, where we could win, draw or lose, but here at Napoli no, I couldn't lose, I told myself then. 'I would have been ashamed to have 80,000 people and then not to win. And we won everywhere, at Juve, at Inter, at Roma... And if now Napoli can think it can win the title, it is thanks to me.' .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 16th, 2017

Coco Martin talks about making time for his first love

Coco Martin talks about making time for his first love.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  pepRelated NewsJan 11th, 2017

UN envoy: Geneva talks a moment of truth for Cyprus unity

GENEVA — A summit meeting between the rival leaders of ethnically divided Cyprus in this Swiss city will determine whether the east Mediterranean island nati.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 10th, 2017

James Reid talks about his first love

James Reid talks about his first love.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 8th, 2017

Chris Bosh talks about getting a 'taste of retirement'

em>By Tim Reynolds, Associated Press /em> Chris Bosh still is unclear about what his future holds, and while mentioning how he's getting a 'taste of retirement' stopped short of saying he will no longer pursue an NBA career. Bosh has been sidelined since last February because of complications related to blood clots. He's still technically a member of the Miami Heat, though has not been around the team in any official capacity since he failed a physical in September and was not permitted to resume on-court activities. Bosh, speaking at the CES gadget show in Las Vegas, was asked how he's spent time away from the court. 'For me, I kind of just follow my passions and follow what I love to do and use my free time to kind of answer those questions and go through my bad moods and maybe a little light case of depression,' Bosh said. 'Really, to search for what I'm looking for. And I've come to some interesting conclusions. It's all about following my heart and what made me happy.' Bosh did not specifically mention whether he will or will not try to play again, nor did he mention his health status. It's expected that the Heat will waive him sometime after February, after the one-year anniversary of his last game appearance passes. The $76 million that Bosh is owed for this and the next two seasons remains guaranteed, but he would no longer be taking up a massive amount of Miami's salary-cap space. Bosh was speaking on a panel alongside St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Dexter Fowler and Golden State Warriors guard Draymond Green. The panel, titled 'Life Off The Court,' was moderated by Maverick Carter, the CEO of SpringHill Entertainment and the business partner of Bosh's former Miami teammate LeBron James. Bosh said he went to the CES event to meet with people and leverage some business relationships. 'I don't know what's going to come out of it,' Bosh said. 'But we're here.' Bosh had his 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons cut short at the All-Star break after the discovery of blood clots. He missed the last 30 games of the 2014-15 season because of the first known occurrence of the clot issue, and the last 43 games — including playoffs — last season after a second separate situation. Bosh said 'there's still a lot of things' that he has to figure out. 'I'm still learning more about myself and my situation, and really off the court how to function there because I'm kind of getting the taste of retirement now,' Bosh said. 'Just trying to navigate those waters because it gets a little complicated sometimes. ... Hoping one day that the stars align and I figure some things out and things kind of just go my way and I'll be able to do what I want to do. I don't know what that is yet.' .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 6th, 2017

Heart Evangelista talks about growing the Love Marie lifestyle brand

Heart Evangelista talks about growing the Love Marie lifestyle brand.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  pepRelated NewsOct 20th, 2016

NPA recruitment continues

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has expressed concern over reports that the New People’s Army (NPA) in Negros Island Province (NIP) has been recruiting new members despite ongoing peace talks between the government and the CPP-NPA-NDF......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsOct 19th, 2016
Category: lifestyleSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 7th, 2016

James Reid talks about his first love

James Reid talks about his first love.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 18th, 2016

Libya unity govt seeks talks after rival seizes oil ports

TRIPOLI: The head of Libya's UN-backed unity government called for urgent talks Wednesday after forces loyal to a rival administration seized the main eastern oil ports in defiance of world powers. The seizure of all four-export terminals in the so-called.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 14th, 2016

UN chief opens Sri Lanka unity talks

COLOMBO: United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon opened talks with Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe on late Wednesday as he kicked off a visit focusing on reconciliation efforts seven years after Sri Lanka ended its bloody civil war. Officials sai.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 1st, 2016

Beach Boys' Mike Love talks encounter with Charles Manson

Beach Boys' Mike Love talks encounter with Charles Manson.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 1st, 2016

Duterte talks about De Lima s alleged love life anew

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday took a swipe at Sen......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 24th, 2016

In Focus: KathNiel Talks Loveteam Success Secrets, Exclusively Dating Feels, and Love Definitions

Check out these snippets from their exclusive interview with Starstudio Magazine!.....»»

Category: lifestyleSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 9th, 2016

Pres. Duterte reiterates peace talks with Reds

CATBALOGAN CITY, Samar –- President Rodrigo Duterte would love to see the Armed Forces of the Philippines and New People’s Army (NPA) talking about peace instead of fighting for as long as insurgents will stop using landmines......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 9th, 2016