Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Bonds, Clemens making slow gains with changing electorate

NOAH TRISTER, AP Baseball Writer The electorate is changing, however, and that could be good news for both. Bonds and Clemens inched past the 50-percent mark for the first time Wednesday, each appearing on about 54 percent of ballots cast by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. For a fifth straight year, Bonds and Clemens fell short of the 75 percent needed for induction, but their support is slowly climbing. Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines and Ivan Rodriguez were elected to the Hall on Wednesday. Bonds and Clemens remain on the outside looking in because of drug suspicions, but they could continue to gain ground as more new voters are welcomed into the process. 'I think, just generationally, people in their 20s and 30s look at this different than people in their 50s and 60s,' said Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star, a first-time voter who supported Bonds and Clemens. 'Maybe we're missing something — I'm not one of these people that thinks, like, I'm right and they're wrong. It's just different viewpoints.' A writer can receive a Hall of Fame vote when he or she has been an active member of the BBWAA for 10 consecutive years, so newcomers are always on the way. In 2015, the Hall of Fame eliminated voters who had been inactive for more than 10 years — a move that further boosted the influence of newer voters. The closest thing to a Hall of Fame exit poll is Ryan Thibodaux's online vote tracker , which has charted over half the ballots from this year's election. Of the 14 first-time voters identified on the site as of Wednesday night, 13 supported Bonds and Clemens. One of those first-time voters was Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News, who said he supported Bonds after former Commissioner Bud Selig was elected as part of this class by a veterans committee. Selig presided over the era in which drug suspicion became so rampant. 'The last few years in my Sunday column in The Buffalo News, I refused to use Barry Bonds' name. In my column, it became kind of a trademark. I just referred to him as No. 25,' Harrington said. 'So now people see my article in The Buffalo News — 'Wait a minute, how did you vote for Bonds and Clemens?' I explained in my column a couple weeks ago: To me, I felt, the Bud Selig thing was a tipping point.' Bonds and Clemens are back on the ballot next year, along with newcomers such as Chipper Jones, Jim Thome, Andruw Jones, Scott Rolen, Johan Santana and Omar Vizquel. Here are a few more things to watch: PUBLIC BALLOTS The BBWAA voted to release each voter's Hall of Fame choices to the public, starting next year. That change will add transparency to the process, although there are some concerns about groupthink and peer pressure. 'I'm very conflicted about this,' Mellinger said. 'I applaud the reasons that they are public. We are a profession that demands transparency in others, so why shouldn't we have the same here? I get all that. I can't argue against any of that. The part that I'm uncomfortable with is: I hope that people still vote their hearts and their minds and don't change based on, you know, 'I don't want to get ripped on Twitter.'' SABERMETRIC FAVORITES Raines had plenty of support in sabermetric circles. 'You've got these new stats. You've got WAR (wins above replacement). You've got all this stuff,' Raines said. 'Back in the day, when you looked at a Hall of Famer, you looked at 500 home runs, 300 wins and 3,000 hits, and a lot of times if you didn't reach those criteria, it was kind of hard for anyone to kind of look at you as a Hall of Famer. But I think the way the game has changed today, the way they look at the stats and everything, it has changed.' The next beneficiary of modern stats could be Mike Mussina, who achieved 51.8-percent approval this year. Mussina never won a Cy Young Award, but according to Baseball-Reference.com, his career WAR is comparable to that of Nolan Ryan and Bob Gibson. LOGJAM Nearly half of this year's 442 voters used the maximum 10 slots on their ballots, and although three people were elected, players like Trevor Hoffman (74.0 percent) and Vladimir Guerrero (71.7) fell just short, meaning they'll be back to take up votes again next year. With some credible new candidates eligible in 2018, the 10-player limit could come into play for quite a few voters. Lynn Henning of The Detroit News has abstained from voting at all when he's felt there were more than 10 Hall-worthy players. He didn't have that problem this year, but it could happen again. 'The 10-ballot restriction is silly, it's perverse, it's unjust, it's convoluted. It's a complete affront to players who deserve recognition, when they've earned recognition and are otherwise screened out because of some arbitrary adherence to this number 10,' Henning said. 'I think it's the most outlandishly preposterous restriction I've ever been exposed to in the realm of professional voting.' SPECIALISTS One challenge Hall voters now face is evaluating players who had more specialized roles — like designated hitters and closers. 'It's easy to find context for a Vladimir Guerrero or a Mike Mussina because there are tons of outfielders in the Hall of Fame, there are tons of starting pitchers in the Hall of Fame,' said Ryan Fagan of Sporting News. 'Defining the context for a DH or for a relief pitcher, that's more challenging, because there aren't a lot of guys like that in there.' Fagan supported Edgar Martinez, a DH, but did not vote for closers Hoffman, Billy Wagner and Lee Smith. None of those four made it in. All but Smith will be on the ballot again in 2018. ___ Follow Noah Trister at www.Twitter.com/noahtrister .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017

Why do Filipinos hate Leni?

Vice President Leni Robredo and her campaign team sold to the people that she represents those in the margins of society; and this may very well be the reason she “won” last election......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 17th, 2017

Robredo camp to Marcos: Don’t feed Pinoys wrong, self-serving info

MANILA, Philippines – The camp of Vice President Leni Robredo on Tuesday said that former Sen......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 17th, 2017

Suportado pa rin ng sambayanan si Pangulong Digong

SA  kabila  ng mga isyung ibinabato kay Pa-ngulong Rodrigo Duterte,  gaya ng extrajudicial killings  o EJK, ang kontrobersiyal na Marcos burial,  ang pagbibitiw ni Vice President Leni Robredo bilang housing czar at ang pagpatay kay dating  Albuera, Leyte mayor Rolando Espinosa, Sr., suportado pa rin siya ng taongbayan. Base sa magkasunod na resulta ng survey ........»»

Category: filipinoSource:  hatawtabloidRelated NewsJan 16th, 2017

Why do Filipinos hate Leni?

Vice President Leni Robredo and her campaign team sold to the people that she represents those in the margins of society; and this may very well be the reaso.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 16th, 2017

Propagandista ba si Nikko ni Leni?

HINDI malaman kung reporter o propagandista itong si Nikko Dizon ng pahayagang Inquirer. Nakagugulat, kahit hindi naman kasi masasabing news ang isang kaganapan itinuturing pa rin niya itong istorya. ‘Ika nga, patol nang patol! Mantakin ba namang bumisita lang si Vice President Leni Robredo sa isang komunidad sa Tondo at may tumawag na “ang ganda ........»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 15th, 2017

YEARENDER: Leni moves on after falling out with Rody gov’t

MANILA, Philippines - Despite losing her Cabinet post as housing chief, Vice President Leni Robredo vowed to continue her work to help uplift the lives of ma.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 15th, 2017

VP Robredo, hindi aatrasan si Duterte

NAKAHANDA raw si Vice President Leni Robredo na isugal ang kanyang popularidad kaysa manahimik laban sa Duterte administration. Sinabi ito ni Robredo matapos iugnay ng ilan ang pagbagsak ng kanyang approval at trust rating sa pinakahuling Pulse Asia survey sa pagkontra nito sa mga posisyon ni Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte. Ayon kay Robredo, alam niyang napakapopular [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsJan 13th, 2017

Simple reception – Palace

Malacañang described as simple and auspicious the first-ever New Year reception hosted by President Duterte for the diplomatic community in Malacañang despite the absence of Vice President Leni Robredo......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 12th, 2017

Why Robredo wasn’t in New Year reception

President Duterte did not invite Vice President Leni Robredo to the New Year reception in Malacañang to prevent an awkward situation with his political opponent, according to a Palace official......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 12th, 2017

Leni disinvited to vin d’honneur

MANILA, Philippines – Vice President Leni Robredo was disinvited by Malacañang to the first vin d’honneur of President Duterte, her spokesperson said......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 11th, 2017

Leni rebuts Rody on rehab of drug addicts

MANILA, Philippines – Using public funds for the rehabilitation of drug addicts is “never a waste of money,” Vice President Leni Robredo said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 11th, 2017

VP camp: Palace retracted New Year s toast invite to Leni

MANILA, Philippines — The camp of Vice President Leni Robredo on Wednesday revealed that Malacañang retracted its invitation to President Rodrigo Duterte's f.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 11th, 2017

A so-called plot

There is a trail of correspondence linking groups affiliated with the previous administration and based in the United States to plans to seize power from President Rodrigo Duterte. The controversy now goes by the name Lenileaks, for the mere fact that the name of Vice President Leni Robredo is mentioned in the messages......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 9th, 2017

Leni, Koko suffer drop in ratings

MANILA, Philippines - Vice President Leni Robredo and Senate President Aquilino Pimentel III suffered declines in their approval and trust ratings in the las.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 9th, 2017

Robredo told to come clean on ‘LeniLeaks’

Vice President Leni G. Robredo must come clean about the alleged ouster plot against President Duterte, dubbed the “LeniLeaks” conspiracy, and rein in supporters to respect his six-year constitutional mandate......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 9th, 2017

Nation: Robredo takes a dent in Pulse Asia Dec. poll

VICE-PRESIDENT Maria Leonor "Leni" G. Robredo registered a considerable increase in her disapproval score and decline in her trust score, according to a poll last December by Pulse Asia that otherwise showed "majority approval ratings" for the top three officials, including the Vice-President......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJan 9th, 2017

Poll: Majority of Filipinos trust Duterte, Robredo

MANILA, Philippines — Only President Rodrigo Duterte and Vice President Leni Robredo are the top national government officials with majority trust ratings in.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 9th, 2017

NSC kumikilos vs ‘Lenileaks’

INIIMBESTIGAHAN na ng intelligence community ang posibleng partisipasyon ng mga tauhan ni Vice President Leni Robredo at pakikipagsabwatan nila kay Fil-Am billionaire Loida Nicolas-Lewis sa destabilisasyon laban kay Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte. Ito ang sinabi kahapon  ni National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr., hinggil sa  natanggap nilang mga report hinggil sa 'Lenileaks o ang pagligwak sa ........»»

Category: filipinoSource:  hatawtabloidRelated NewsJan 8th, 2017

Leni backers plotting to oust Rody? Palace sets probe

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang is looking into leaked emails about the supposed plan of supporters of Vice President Leni Robredo to create dissent against.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 8th, 2017