Advertisements


IOC to soothe virus concerns in run-up to Olympic Games

Tokyo---Olympic chiefs admitted Friday they face a “very big communications job” to soothe concerns over the coronavirus epidemic in the run-up to this summer’s Tokyo Games......»»

Category: sportsSource: thestandard thestandardFeb 15th, 2020

Tokyo Olympics boss blasts irresponsible rumors over virus shutdown

    TOKYO, Japan – Tokyo Olympic organizers stressed Thursday, February 13, they are not considering scrapping the Games due to the coronavirus and blasted "irresponsible rumors" to the contrary.  With only 162 days to go until the opening ceremony, concerns have been raised about Japan's hosting of the Games with the virus ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsFeb 13th, 2020

McIlroy says he resents Olympics for making him choose sides

  DUBLIN (AP) — Rory McIlroy says he resented how the Olympics forced him to decide whether he would represent Ireland or Britain and that it reached a point that it 'wasn't worth the hassle' to compete in Rio de Janeiro. In an interview with the Sunday Independent in Ireland, McIlroy explained why he was so critical of golf's return to the Olympics during a press conference at last summer's British Open. McIlroy, the four-time major champion from Northern Ireland, cited concerns over the Zika virus as his reason not to go to Rio. He told the Irish newspaper that when the International Olympic Committee announced in 2009 that golf would be part of the program for the first time since 2004, 'all of a sudden it put me in a position where I had to question who I am.' 'Who am I? Where am I from? Where do my loyalties lie? Who am I going to play for? Who do I not want to (upset) the most?' McIlroy said. 'I started to resent it. And I do. I resent the Olympic Games because of the position it put me in. That's my feelings toward it. And whether that's right or wrong, that's how I feel.' McIlroy said he sent a text message to Justin Rose to congratulate him on winning the gold medal in Rio for Britain. He said Rose thanked him and asked if McIlroy felt as though he had missed out. 'I said, 'Justin, if I had been on the podium (listening) to the Irish national anthem as that flag went up, or the British national anthem as that flag went up, I would have felt uncomfortable either way.'' McIlroy told the newspaper. 'I don't know the words to either anthem. I don't feel a connection to either flag. I don't want it to be about flags. I've tried to stay away from that.' McIlroy was among several top stars who opted to skip the Olympics, most citing the Zika virus. He had been scheduled to play for Ireland until announcing in June he would not be going. Jordan Spieth did not announce his decision to miss Rio until a few days before the British Open. McIlroy spoke after Spieth, and the Olympics was brought up again. McIlroy dismissed the notion that he had let down his sport, saying, 'I didn't get into golf to try and grow the game.' He also said that he probably wouldn't watch Olympic golf on TV, only 'the stuff that matters.' 'Well, I'd had nothing but questions about the Olympics — 'the Olympics, the Olympics, the Olympics' — and it was just one question too far,' McIlroy said. 'I'd said what I needed to say. I'd got myself out of it, and it comes up again. And I could feel it. I could just feel myself go, 'Poom!' And I thought, 'I'm going to let them have it.' 'OK, I went a bit far,' he added. 'But I hate that term, 'growing the game.' Do you ever hear that in other sports? In tennis? Football? 'Let's grow the game.' I mean, golf was here long before we were, and it's going to be here long after we're gone. So I don't get that, but I probably went a bit overboard.' McIlroy said Olympic golf didn't mean that much to him. 'It really doesn't. I don't get excited about it. And people can disagree, and have a different opinion, and that's totally fine,' he said. 'Each to their own.' McIlroy, who is to play the South African Open this week, said he has never been driven by nationalism or patriotism because of where he was raised. 'And I never wanted it to get political or about where I'm from, but that's what it turned into,' he said. 'And it just got to the point where it wasn't worth the hassle.' .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 9th, 2017

Tokyo holds Olympic torch rehearsal as specter of virus looms

    TOKYO, Japan – Tokyo Olympic organizers held a dummy run for the torch relay Saturday, February 15, as fears over the coronavirus epidemic continue to cast a dark shadow over preparations for this summer's Games. A quartet of runners carried unlit torches for some 200 meters each as organizers meticulously went ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsFeb 15th, 2020

Philippine Olympic body backs suspension of games due to virus scare

“The POC stands behind government in its precautionary measure of advising everyone to desist from organizing, participating or attending events where big crowds are expected,” said POC president Abraham “Bambol” Tolentino in a statement Friday......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 14th, 2020

Coronavirus Hits Sport Events in China

Many national and international sports tournaments in China were postponed, moved and even canceled amid the novel coronavirus outbreak that claimed the lives of over 1,000 people in the country where it emerged. Major events including the Chinese Formula 1 Grand Prix and Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games are also under threat as the virus continues […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsFeb 11th, 2020

Tokyo tries to quell fear of Olympic-Paralympic cancellation?

By STEPHEN WADE AP Sports Writer TOKYO (AP) — Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic organizers again tried on Thursday to allay fears that the 2020 Games could be postponed or canceled by the fast-spreading virus from China. Tokyo Olympic CEO Toshiro Muto, who on Wednesday said he was “seriously worried” the virus could disrupt the Olympic and Paralympics, backtracked a day later and was more cautious in a news conference with officials from the International Paralympic Committee. “In order to avoid any misunderstanding, I would like to say that the Olympic and Paralympic Games will be held as scheduled,” Muto said, adding people need to remain “cool headed.” Craig Spence, the spokesman for the IPC, was even more direct with the Olympics opening in just under six months — and the Paralympics in just under seven. “One thing I am noticing at the moment is fear is spreading quicker than the virus, and it is important that we quell that fear,” Spence said. On Thursday, Japan confirmed 45 cases of the virus but no deaths have been reported. Tokyo Olympic officials said they have established a task force to focus on the virus and have been repeating for a week that the games will go ahead as planned. Despite the assurances, questions keep coming with organizers saying they are deferring to the World Health Organization for advice. “We need to put things into perspective, and until the World Health Organization tells us otherwise, we will proceed with business as usual," Spence said. The Olympics open on July 24, and the Paralympics follow on Aug. 25. Both events are experiencing record ticket demand, which could begin to shift the longer the virus threat spawns uncertainty. It's a similar story with hotel demand. Toshiaki Endo, a vice president of the organizing committee, earlier in the week said organizers “are facing all sorts of problems including coronavirus infections, cyber security and transportation systems.” Some Olympic and Paralympic qualifying events around the globe have been canceled or postponed by the virus outbreak. Travel restrictions also complicate matters, particularly for China's large Olympic and Paralympic delegations. There is also the question of housing 11,000 Olympic athletes safely in the Athletes Village. The number is smaller for the Paralympics, but still in the thousands. The Olympics have been canceled during wartime, and faced boycotts in 1980 and 1984. The event has grown rapidly in the decades since, driven by multi-billion dollar television contracts and billions more from sponsors......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsFeb 7th, 2020

Virus worries Olympic chief

Tokyo—The chief executive officer of the Tokyo Olympics admitted Wednesday that organisers are “extremely worried” about the possible effect of the deadly new coronavirus on this summer’s Games......»»

Category: sportsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 7th, 2020

Tokyo Olympic boss extremely worried about deadly virus

     TOKYO, Japan – The chief executive officer of the Tokyo Olympics admitted that organizers are "extremely worried" about the possible effect of the deadly new coronavirus on this summer's Games. Toshiro Muto said he hoped the outbreak in China would be quickly contained to restore confidence in the run-up to the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsFeb 6th, 2020

Joshua out to regain aura, belts in rematch

By Steve Douglas, Associated Press Anthony Joshua didn't just lose three world heavyweight titles and an undefeated record when he was beaten by Andy Ruiz Jr. in one of boxing's biggest upsets in a generation. He lost his aura, his growing sense of invincibility. So Joshua has had to reinvent himself, strip everything back and, in a sense, start all over. That began by going back to his roots in Nigeria. “Because of boxing, I’ve never had time to go there,” Joshua told The Associated Press of his first return in 17 years to the homeland of his parents and where he briefly went to boarding school at the age of 11. “In Nigeria, the people love you for you, not for what you have.” At the lowest point of his professional career and with people starting to question him for the first time, Joshua needed time to reflect and to have a dose of reality. He visited Makoko, a slum just off mainland Lagos that is largely a floating community of wooden homes on swampland. Joshua is adored there, and they mobbed their icon. “It was good to see hope,” Joshua recalled. “Anyone that can bring hope to you, they appreciate it and they appreciate my journey so far. That’s what I liked. We’re on a journey.” Joshua's journey took an unexpected detour with that loss to Ruiz Jr. in June. But it may well be the making of him. The Briton heads into the rematch in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on Saturday as something of a changed man. More humble, more accepting of vicissitudes of his sport, and eager to learn from his mistakes. Joshua accepts there were plenty of them before the first fight in Madison Square Garden. He still won't say exactly what went wrong that night in New York, but he acknowledges he “wasn't prepared” for the challenge of Ruiz Jr. — a portly Mexican with a big heart, fast hands and unexpected power. Ruiz Jr., who stood in as a late replacement after Jarrell Miller failed multiple doping tests, knocked down Joshua four times before the fight was stopped in the seventh round, the defeated champion somewhat dazed and disheveled. Joshua has ignored some calls to dispense with his long-time trainer, Rob McCracken — the pair go way back, to before Joshua won an Olympic gold medal at the 2012 London Games — but has changed his sparring partners, his routines, and his mentality. “Last time when I lost, I understood why,” Joshua told the AP in a phone interview after arriving in Riyadh. "I took it like a man, I'd say. I took it like a champion should. Because I understood my mistakes. And I’ve changed them, I’ve rectified them. “If anything wasn’t to go my way this time, I just have to say the man is better than me. He is a tricky customer but I think I’m a better fighter than him, even though I didn’t get the decision last time. I went straight back in. I didn’t say, ‘Ah, I need a warm-up fight.’ I knew where I went wrong. I know how to improve it, and I’ve done that.” Time will tell, but there's a sense Joshua is more comfortable in Saudi Arabia than he was in the bright lights of New York five months ago, when he was making his U.S. debut and, maybe, took his eye off the ball. While retaining that chiseled physique that could not contrast more with Ruiz Jr.'s, Joshua looked slimmer and lighter during his public workouts in Riyadh this week. And because he is having to prove himself all over again, Joshua said he compares this fight with the first of the 23 in his pro career. “I have erased the old fight from my memory and I’m approaching it like I’m fighting for the heavyweight championship of the world, which I am. I’m not looking at it as a rematch,” Joshua said. “Even though I’ve had a belt around my waist, I’ve always had that challenger mindset because even in my 15th fight, I challenged for the British title. The 16th (was for the) world title, defend, defend, challenge again, so it’s part and parcel of the game now. I’m used to the tough challenges.” Another loss to Ruiz Jr. — in a fight with a reported $70 million purse and being televised by the DAZN streaming service — and there would be serious questions about Joshua, one of Britain's most celebrated sportsmen and someone whose career trajectory was only heading one way until last summer. Fights with the likes of Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury would be further away then ever. But he's not thinking that way. He's embracing taking boxing to a new audience, shrugging off the fact that the fight will take place in a kingdom where there are human-rights concerns, and is desperate to regain his IBF, WBA and WBO belts. “Of course people doubt me,” Joshua said. “But the main thing is I’m still here. I’m not discouraged. That’s all I can say.”.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsDec 5th, 2019

Neighbors Shut Borders with Iran Over Coronavirus Fears

Iran’s neighbors closed their borders to the country due to mounting concerns on the spread of the novel coronavirus, officially known as COVID-19, after over a dozen deaths were confirmed in Iran. Iraq closed all its border crossings with Iran for three days following the deaths of two Iranians from the deadly virus on Feb. […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsFeb 25th, 2020

Unfazed by virus scare, Filipino athletes pursue Tokyo Olympic dream

Nothing, not even the COVID-2019 scare, could stop Filipino athletes from their hot pursuit of a Tokyo Olympics slot this July......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 24th, 2020

Tokyo 2020 organizers postpone training of volunteers

Tokyo, Japan—Tokyo 2020 Olympic organizers postponed training for their army of volunteers due to the coronavirus outbreak but reiterated that there was “no consideration” of cancelling the Games......»»

Category: sportsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 24th, 2020

Diaz, Petecio lead PSA major awards honor roll

A boxing world champion and an Olympic silver medalist are among those to be rendered with major awards in next month’s annual SMC-PSA (Philippine Sportswriters Association) Awards Night at the Centennial Hall of the Manila Hotel. Nesthy Petecio and Hidilyn Diaz lead the 12 personalities who are the recipients of major awards from the country’s oldest media organization in the March 6 gala night presented by the Philippine Sports Commission, MILO, Philippine Basketball Association, Rain or Shine, and Air Asia. The two lady athletes are also members of Team Philippines which will be honored with the coveted Athlete of the Year award on account of its successful regaining of the Southeast Asian Games overall championship. Petecio, 27, won the featherweight gold in the AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships in Ulan-Ude, Russia, while Diaz, 29, and silver medal winner in the 2016 Rio Olympics, bagged a silver in the Asian Championships and a pair of bronze in the World Weightlifting Championships. The country’s first qualifier in the Tokyo Olympics in pole vaulter Ernest John Obiena is also a major awardee for topping the qualifying meet in Chiara, Italy. He also won golds in the Asian Athletics Championship and the Summer Universiade. Two other world boxing champions are also in the honor roll list in reigning International Boxing Federation (IBF) super-flyweight title holder Jerwin Ancajas and World Boxing Organization (WBO) bantamweight king Johnriel Casimero. Not to be left out are major awardees in basketball composed of the undefeated, sixth-time UAAP women’s champion National University, five-time PBA Philippine Cup winner San Miguel Beermen, and five-time MVP June Mar Fajardo. Completing the list of major awardees are golfers Juvic Pagunsan, Aidric Chan, and Princess Superal, and Horse of the Year Union Bell. Still to be named are recipients of special citation, the MILO Junior Athletes of the Year, the regular Tony Siddayao .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsFeb 23rd, 2020

Virus cases surge, alarm up

An eruption of new virus cases in South Korea, Iran, and Chinese hospitals and prisons rekindled concerns Friday about the spread of a deadly disease that has killed more than 2,200 people......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 22nd, 2020

Tough challenge for 3x3 team

SBP executive director Sonny Barrios said yesterday it’s all business in preparing the Philippine team for the FIBA 3x3 Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Bengaluru, India, on March 18-22 with two Serbian trainors and four Serbian players in town to assist in the country’s bold bid to make it to Tokyo Games this year......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 21st, 2020

New virus outbreaks rekindle concerns

An eruption of new coronavirus cases in South Korea, Iran and Chinese hospitals and prisons rekindled concerns Friday about the spread of a deadly disease that has killed more than 2,200 people. The World Health Organization warned nations could face a serious problem if they fail to “hit hard now” against the virus, which has […] The post New virus outbreaks rekindle concerns appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsFeb 21st, 2020

Demand for disease-themed movies and games explodes

As the world confronts the spread of a deadly new virus, interest in disease-themed movies, games and TV series has exploded, with worried viewers turning to documentaries and disaster flicks for answers and ways to cope......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 20th, 2020

Gawilan headed to Paralympics

Asian Para Games gold medalist Ernie Gawilan is going to Tokyo. The International Paralympic Committee has granted an allocation to a Filipino swimmer to the August 25 to September 6 Tokyo Paralympic Games, which is the Olympic competition for differently abled athletes......»»

Category: sportsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 20th, 2020

Pasaol, Munzon, Tautuaa, Perez to play for Gilas in 3x3 Olympic qualifiers

Chooks-To-Go Pilipinas 3x3 standouts Alvin Pasaol and Joshua Munzon will join forces with Southeast Asian Games gold medalists Moala Tautuaa and CJ Perez in the tournament to be held in India from March 18-22......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 19th, 2020

Virus renews safety concerns about slaughtering wild animals

BEIJING — China cracked down on the sale of exotic species after an outbreak of a new virus in 2002 was linked to markets selling live animals. The germ turned out to be a coronavirus that caused SARS. The ban was later lifted, and the animals reappeared. Now another coronavirus is spreading through China, so […] The post Virus renews safety concerns about slaughtering wild animals appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 15th, 2020