Advertisements


IOC decides against further punishment for Ryan Lochte

LAUSANNE, Switzerland — Ryan Lochte will not receive separate punishment from the International Olympic Committee for lying about being robbed at gunpoint du.....»»

Category: sportsSource: philstar philstarSep 13th, 2016

Swimmer Ryan Lochte suspended until July 2019 for use of IV

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla.--- Ryan Lochte posted a photo for the world to see, and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency noticed. It got him suspended --- again. The longtime U.S. swimming star has been banned from competition until July 2019, which means the 12-time Olympic medalist cannot compete as planned in the national championships that start this week in California. Lochte will also be ineligible for other top meets, including the Pan Pacific Championships later this year and next year's world championships. "This is devastating," Lochte said. He did not take a banned substance. But he got an intravenous injection of vitamins in May --- and since it exceeded 100 milliliters, n...Keep on reading: Swimmer Ryan Lochte suspended until July 2019 for use of IV.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 24th, 2018

Swimmer Ryan Lochte banned 14 months for anti-doping violation

LOS ANGELES, USA – Six-time Olympic gold medalist Ryan Lochte has been suspended 14 months for an anti-doping violation after he received an intravenous infusion, the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) announced on Monday, July 23.  While USADA said Lochte was not using a banned substance, athletes can typically only receive IVs ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 24th, 2018

Brazil court allows prosecution of US swimmer Ryan Lochte

By Sarah DiLorenzo, Associated Press SAO PAULO (AP) — The prosecution of U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte for filing a false police report during the 2016 Olympics is back on after a Brazilian court decision this week. During the games in Rio de Janeiro, the 12-time Olympic medalist told NBC that he and fellow swimmers were robbed at gunpoint in a taxi by men with police badges as they returned to the Olympic Village from a party. But prosecutors said Lochte invented the story to cover up the swimmers' vandalism of a gas station and an ensuing confrontation with security guards. The confrontation was captured by surveillance cameras at the gas station. Lochte later acknowledged he was intoxicated at the time and his behavior led to the confrontation. The initial claim appeared to confirm widespread fears before the Olympics that the event would be marred by rising crime rates in Rio de Janeiro, which has long struggled with violence. As Lochte's version of events began to shift, many Brazilians became annoyed that a false story about crime drew so much attention, when the city had hosted the games without major problems. The scandal drew international headlines and grew to overshadow the final days of the games. Lochte ended up serving a 10-month suspension from the U.S. national swim team for his behavior. Last year, a court dismissed the case against Lochte, but the Superior Court of Justice reversed that decision Tuesday. Prosecutor Rodrigo de Almeida Maia said Thursday that the next step is for Lochte's lawyers to present their defense. Lochte does not have to appear in person to defend himself, de Almeida Maia said. Steve Lochte, the swimmer's father, said by telephone that he had no comment and directed questions to his son or his son's lawyers. Jeff Ostrow, a lawyer who has represented Lochte in the past, did not immediately respond to an email and a voicemail message seeking comment. It was not clear if he would represent Lochte in this case......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 29th, 2018

FACT CHECK: A new death penalty law won t apply to De Lima s case

Claim: Jailed senator Leila de Lima may get the death penalty once the Senate decides to reimpose capital punishment in the Philippines. A post by trendingph.altervista.org  ran the headline, "MUST WATCH!! PARUSAN.G BI-TAY POSIBLENG ISAMPLE KAY LEILA DELIMA KAPAG NAIPASA SA SENADO!” (Leila de ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 7th, 2018

Uncertainty shrouds Chelsea despite FA Cup win over United

By Rob Harris, Associated Press LONDON (AP) — Chelsea's players saved their season but maybe not their manager. Collecting the FA Cup, after beating Manchester United 1-0 on Saturday, is looking like Antonio Conte's final act with Chelsea. "After two years, the club knows me very well," Conte said. "And if they continue to want to work with me they know I can't change. My way is always the same." Having won three Serie A titles at Juventus before capturing the English Premier League trophy for Chelsea, Conte reminded the Chelsea hierarchy: "I'm a serial winner." It was a bullish sign-off to a lackluster season that saw the Italian's relationship with Chelsea's leadership become increasingly strained as the team went from champions to fifth in the Premier League. "Our job is not simple," Conte said. "I understand that the club can make a decision." Wembley match-winner Eden Hazard also has a decision to make: Whether to pursue a transfer. After raising doubts about his Chelsea future ahead of the final — demanding "good players" are signed in the offseason — Hazard produced the only goal from the penalty spot in the 22nd minute. On the pitch, amid the celebrations, Hazard said nothing to demonstrate his commitment to the club. "I'm just happy," Hazard said. "You see the fans celebrating with the trophy. We didn't play a great season but at least we finished well." Although not in the style craved by Hazard. "If we want to win a lot of games we have to play better," Hazard said, "because today we played defensively." Such was the focus on the gloomy Premier League campaign and looming offseason of uncertainty in the post-match interviews, it was easy to forget Chelsea had just picked up a trophy. "This was to save our season," Chelsea captain Gary Cahill said. "I'm not saying we've had a magnificent season by any stretch. But we are used to winning, not in an arrogant way, but we have to try to win things." Conte's first cup final victory in coaching meant former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho finished his second season at United empty-handed, paying the price for an insipid first-half display and coming to life only after the break. United took until the 56th minute to register a shot on target when Marcus Rashford struck at goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, who later rushed off his line to block the forward. United's deficiencies were encapsulated by another patchy performance from midfielder Paul Pogba, who squandered a late chance to equalize by heading wide. Mourinho, though, couldn't find any faults. "I don't think (Chelsea) deserved to win," said Mourinho, who won the League Cup and Europa League last year. "I am quite curious because if my team played like Chelsea did I can imagine what everyone would be saying." KNOW THE LAW Conte seemed unfamiliar with the 2016 change to the "triple punishment" law, reducing the type of incidents that result in a penalty kick, a red card and suspension. Conte remonstrated to the officials after Phil Jones was only booked, not sent off for bringing down Hazard for the penalty. Referee Michael Oliver was right because a "genuine attempt has been made to play the ball," as football laws state. MAN UNITED: WHAT NEXT? This was only Mourinho's third loss in 15 career cup finals and the first defeat in regulation time. Despite Mourinho being able to spend around 300 million pounds ($404 million) on players, the only progress he can point to is finishing second in the league for the club's highest finish since Alex Ferguson retired as a champion in 2013. More investment is required in the offseason, particularly to acquire fullbacks. Wingers Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia have been deployed there. CHELSEA: WHAT NEXT? The rapid turnover of managers hasn't prevented Chelsea from collecting trophies. It's now 15 in 15 years under Roman Abramovich's ownership. The Russian billionaire could well be searching for his 11th permanent manager if he decides to fire Conte with a year remaining on his contract. Chelsea's priority is finding a new striker, particularly if Hazard leaves, despite lacking the appeal of appearing in the Champions League. Chelsea failed to adequately replace Diego Costa last year, scoring 62 goals in the league compared to 85 in the previous title-winning campaign. MISSING The president of the Football Association wasn't available to present the FA Cup. Prince William had a more pressing engagement, serving as best man for brother Prince Harry in the lunchtime wedding to Meghan Markle at Windsor. Instead, the trophy was presented by Jackie Wilkins, the widow of former Chelsea and United midfielder Ray Wilkins, who died last month at the age of 61......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 20th, 2018

Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte marries mother of his infant son

GAINESVILLE, Fla. --- Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte has wed the mother of his 7-month-old son. Lochte and former Playboy model Kayla Rae Reid were married by a judge Tuesday in Gainesville, Florida, where Lochte attended college. Their son, Caiden, was born last June. According to the marriage license obtained by TMZ Sports, Lochte's father, Steven, was a witness. Lochte, a 12-time Olympic medalist, and Reid appear to be holding off on a honeymoon. He is scheduled to be in Austin, Texas, on Saturday to sign autographs at a swim meet, while Reid tweeted Thursday that she was on her way back to their California home with Caiden. The couple got engaged in October 2016, not long after L...Keep on reading: Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte marries mother of his infant son.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 13th, 2018

Trevathan eludes ejection but not scrutiny for head hit

em>By Arnie Stapleton, Associated Press /em> Danny Trevathan wasn’t ejected for the helmet hit that hospitalized Davante Adams. The Chicago Bears linebacker will surely serve as an example, however, for referees determining where to draw the line on hits to the head. Trevathan speared the Packers receiver in the facemask with the crown of his helmet during Chicago’s 35-14 loss at Green Bay on Thursday night. The blow sent Adams’ mouthpiece flying and the receiver, whose forward progress had been stopped several yards short of the end zone on third-and-goal, fell motionless to the ground. He was carted off on a stretcher, loaded onto an ambulance and taken to a hospital, where he remained overnight. Although the NFL emphasized during the offseason that egregious or catastrophic hits to the head could result in an ejection as well as a suspension, Trevathan stayed in the game. He was flagged for a personal foul. “From my perspective I just didn’t see enough to have it rise to that level” of ejecting him, referee John Hussey explained. The league saw enough to hand down a two-game suspension , a punishment Trevathan is appealing. Trevathan said he didn’t intend to hurt Adams, but that rang hollow with the Packers, who were upset that he celebrated his big hit while Adams collapsed and players immediately summoned medical help. Trevathan’s suspension will cost him $235,294, plus whatever the league decides to fine him for the illegal hit this week. Unless he wins his appeal, Trevathan will miss the Bears’ game against the Vikings next Monday night and their trip to Baltimore a week later. One player who won’t be sidelined for the game against Minnesota is Bears prized rookie quarterback Mitchell Trubisky , the second overall draft pick from North Carolina, who will replace Mike Glennon, who’s struggled in his first four games. The Bears signed Glennon to a three-year, $45 million deal with $18.5 million guaranteed to replace Jay Cutler. But Glennon has struggled, throwing five interceptions and losing three fumbles. At 1-3, the switch by Bears coach John Fox recalls his first season in Denver in 2011, when he benched Kyle Orton for Tim Tebow after a 1-4 start. “Tebowmania” soon took hold before Peyton Manning arrived and sent Tebow on a journey that would lead him to broadcasting and baseball. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 3rd, 2017

Brazil court dismisses lying charges against swimmer Ryan Lochte

Brazil court dismisses lying charges against swimmer Ryan Lochte.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 16th, 2017

Suspension over, swimmer Ryan Lochte returns to competition

Suspension over, swimmer Ryan Lochte returns to competition.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 13th, 2017

Phelps to Lochte before scrape: Keep your head on straight

CHASKA — Add Michael Phelps' name to the list of Americans who were less than amused by teammate Ryan Lochte's post-competition, early morning drunken antics.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 27th, 2016

Ryan Lochte protesters defend TV show ambush after arrest

LOS ANGELES — The protesters who ambushed Ryan Lochte on "Dancing with the Stars" are defending their actions after being released from jail......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 15th, 2016

Ryan Lochte protesters defend TV show ambush after arrest

LOS ANGELES — The protesters who ambushed Ryan Lochte on "Dancing with the Stars" are defending their actions after being released from jail......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsSep 15th, 2016

WATCH: Protesters interrupt Dancing with the Star season premier

Two men wearing anti-Ryan Lochte shirts rushed the stage Monday night during the premiere of Dancing with the Stars......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsSep 14th, 2016

Protesters interrupt Ryan Lochte's 'Dancing With The Stars' segment

Protesters interrupt Ryan Lochte's 'Dancing With The Stars' segment.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 13th, 2016

Ryan Lochte suspended 10 months after Rio scandal - reports

Ryan Lochte suspended 10 months after Rio scandal - reports.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 8th, 2016

Michael Phelps has ‘never seen’ Ryan Lochte’s dance moves

LOS ANGELES — Michael Phelps isn't sure what kind of moves Ryan Lochte has planned for "Dancing with the Stars.".....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsSep 3rd, 2016

Lochte legal woes mount in Brazil

RIO DE JANEIRO – Brazilian police charged American swimmer Ryan Lochte on Thursday with filing a false robbery report over an incident during the Olympics in.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 26th, 2016

Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte charged over Rio robbery lie

Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte charged over Rio robbery lie.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 26th, 2016

Ryan Lochte nabs new sponsor after Speedo, others dump him

NEW YORK — Ryan Lochte has a new sponsor — Pine Bros......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 26th, 2016

Backers ditch Lochte for Olympic outrage

Less than 24 hours after the close of the Rio Olympics, Ryan Lochte took a major financial hit Monday for a drunken incident he initially tried to pass off a.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 23rd, 2016