Advertisements


Immigration credits Go for reducing OFW offloading incidents

Former special assistant to the President Christopher “Bong” Go was instrumental in implementing changes in the practices of the Bureau of Immigration on offloading passengers, especially overseas Filipino workers, according to BI Commissioner Jaime Morente......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarNov 1st, 2018

Uncertainty shrouds Chelsea despite FA Cup win over United

By Rob Harris, Associated Press LONDON (AP) — Chelsea's players saved their season but maybe not their manager. Collecting the FA Cup, after beating Manchester United 1-0 on Saturday, is looking like Antonio Conte's final act with Chelsea. "After two years, the club knows me very well," Conte said. "And if they continue to want to work with me they know I can't change. My way is always the same." Having won three Serie A titles at Juventus before capturing the English Premier League trophy for Chelsea, Conte reminded the Chelsea hierarchy: "I'm a serial winner." It was a bullish sign-off to a lackluster season that saw the Italian's relationship with Chelsea's leadership become increasingly strained as the team went from champions to fifth in the Premier League. "Our job is not simple," Conte said. "I understand that the club can make a decision." Wembley match-winner Eden Hazard also has a decision to make: Whether to pursue a transfer. After raising doubts about his Chelsea future ahead of the final — demanding "good players" are signed in the offseason — Hazard produced the only goal from the penalty spot in the 22nd minute. On the pitch, amid the celebrations, Hazard said nothing to demonstrate his commitment to the club. "I'm just happy," Hazard said. "You see the fans celebrating with the trophy. We didn't play a great season but at least we finished well." Although not in the style craved by Hazard. "If we want to win a lot of games we have to play better," Hazard said, "because today we played defensively." Such was the focus on the gloomy Premier League campaign and looming offseason of uncertainty in the post-match interviews, it was easy to forget Chelsea had just picked up a trophy. "This was to save our season," Chelsea captain Gary Cahill said. "I'm not saying we've had a magnificent season by any stretch. But we are used to winning, not in an arrogant way, but we have to try to win things." Conte's first cup final victory in coaching meant former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho finished his second season at United empty-handed, paying the price for an insipid first-half display and coming to life only after the break. United took until the 56th minute to register a shot on target when Marcus Rashford struck at goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, who later rushed off his line to block the forward. United's deficiencies were encapsulated by another patchy performance from midfielder Paul Pogba, who squandered a late chance to equalize by heading wide. Mourinho, though, couldn't find any faults. "I don't think (Chelsea) deserved to win," said Mourinho, who won the League Cup and Europa League last year. "I am quite curious because if my team played like Chelsea did I can imagine what everyone would be saying." KNOW THE LAW Conte seemed unfamiliar with the 2016 change to the "triple punishment" law, reducing the type of incidents that result in a penalty kick, a red card and suspension. Conte remonstrated to the officials after Phil Jones was only booked, not sent off for bringing down Hazard for the penalty. Referee Michael Oliver was right because a "genuine attempt has been made to play the ball," as football laws state. MAN UNITED: WHAT NEXT? This was only Mourinho's third loss in 15 career cup finals and the first defeat in regulation time. Despite Mourinho being able to spend around 300 million pounds ($404 million) on players, the only progress he can point to is finishing second in the league for the club's highest finish since Alex Ferguson retired as a champion in 2013. More investment is required in the offseason, particularly to acquire fullbacks. Wingers Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia have been deployed there. CHELSEA: WHAT NEXT? The rapid turnover of managers hasn't prevented Chelsea from collecting trophies. It's now 15 in 15 years under Roman Abramovich's ownership. The Russian billionaire could well be searching for his 11th permanent manager if he decides to fire Conte with a year remaining on his contract. Chelsea's priority is finding a new striker, particularly if Hazard leaves, despite lacking the appeal of appearing in the Champions League. Chelsea failed to adequately replace Diego Costa last year, scoring 62 goals in the league compared to 85 in the previous title-winning campaign. MISSING The president of the Football Association wasn't available to present the FA Cup. Prince William had a more pressing engagement, serving as best man for brother Prince Harry in the lunchtime wedding to Meghan Markle at Windsor. Instead, the trophy was presented by Jackie Wilkins, the widow of former Chelsea and United midfielder Ray Wilkins, who died last month at the age of 61......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 20th, 2018

Grab Drivers to No Longer See Rider Destinations Starting Friday

Drivers of ridesharing firm Grab Philippines will no longer see passenger destinations starting Friday, April 27, which will lead to reducing the incidents of cancelled booked trips. Grab will also launch an auto-accept feature that will automatically allocate trips to drivers allowing a more seamless experience in continuously accepting passenger requests. “We hear what our […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsApr 25th, 2018

Rotten parts still hound MRT operations

  A southbound train of the Metro Rail Transit line 3 (MRT-3) suffered a breakdown in Quezon City Tuesday morning.   Aly Narvaez, MRT-3 media relations officer said 800 commuters were unloaded at the southbound section of the Araneta Center-Cubao station at 5:30 a.m.   The service disruption was caused by an "electrical failure in motor" due to "worn-out electrical sub-components," Narvaez said.   Affected passengers boarded the next train which arrived 10 minutes later.   On Monday, the MRT-3 management recorded two offloading incidents that affected nearly 1,400 passengers.   READ: MRT-3 train malfunctions again; 870 pa...Keep on reading: Rotten parts still hound MRT operations.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 26th, 2018

Philippines aviation policy protects passengers from violent offloading

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines has regulations in place to prevent incidents similar to what happened on a United Airlines flight involving the forced.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 12th, 2017

Tensions rising between Turkish, European leaders before elections – CNN News

Turkey and the Netherlands' diplomatic feud deepened Sunday with the Turkish president accusing the NATO ally of fascism, and declaring the Dutch would &'8220;pay the price&'8221; for harming relations. The Danish Prime Minister also entered the fray, saying he couldn't host a yet-to-be scheduled visit by his Turkish counterpart in light of &'8220;current rhetorical attacks&'8221; against the Dutch. Upcoming votes in Turkey and the Netherlands serve as a backdrop for the dispute: In Turkey, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has cracked down on opposition &'8212; particularly journalists, academics and the public service sector &'8212; since a July coup attempt, is pushing an April referendum that would expand his powers. In the Netherlands, this week's general elections will pit a hardline anti-Islam candidate in a tight race against the incumbent prime minister. Erdogan is keen to rally the roughly 4.6 million expatriate Turks living in Western Europe, many of whom will be permitted to vote in the Turkish referendum. Following similar moves in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, the Netherlands on Saturday barred a plane carrying Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu from entering the country, citing security concerns. Cavusoglu sought to address expats in support of the Turkish referendum. The Dutch also stopped Turkey's family affairs minister from entering the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam. Protests broke out in both countries, and Erdogan responded by saying the Netherlands is &'8220;sacrificing Turkish-Dutch relations&'8221; and accused the country &'8212; which lost more than 200,000 of its citizens during Germany's World War II occupation &'8212; of Nazism. Rotterdam, where Cavusoglu hoped to speak, was especially hard hit by the Nazis. Next month, Turkish voters will cast ballots in a constitutional referendum that could change their government structure. If passed, it would transform the country's parliamentary system into a presidential one, effectively consolidating the power of three legislative bodies into one executive branch under Erdogan. Critics call the move anti-democratic and say it's indicative of Erdogan's drift toward authoritarian rule since the coup attempt eight months ago. Erdogan and his Justice and Development Party, or AKP, ministers have said those who oppose it stand with the coup plotters and terrorists. Cavusoglu has promised tenfold retaliation against the Netherlands, while Erdogan has likened the country to a &'8220;banana republic&'8221; and called for sanctions, according to the state-run Anadolu Agency. A Turkish diplomatic source told Anadolu that Dutch diplomatic missions in Ankara and Istanbul had been closed off due to security concerns. Meanwhile, the agency reported, the Turkish Foreign Ministry has told the Dutch ambassador, who is presently on leave out of the country, he need &'8220;not return for a while.&'8221; The Netherlands isn't the first nation Erdogan has accused of Nazism. Germany, too, became a target of Erdogan's Nazi comparisons after canceling Turkish rallies on its soil this month. Some 1.5 million Turkish nationals living in Germany are eligible to vote in the referendum, according to Anadolu. &'8220;I thought Nazism was over but I was wrong,&'8221; Erdogan said at the International Goodness Awards in Istanbul on Sunday. &'8220;What we saw in the last couple of days in Germany and Netherlands are the reflections of Islamophobia.&'8221; Turkey is overwhelmingly Sunni Muslim. Chancellor Angela Merkel issued a sharp rebuke, saying such comparisons serve only to belittle Nazi crimes. German-Turkish relations have been on a downslide of late. Among the incidents chipping away at the countries' security and economic partnership was last month's arrest of Die Welt journalist Deniz Yucel on terrorism charges, and Turkey bristled last year when Germany's parliament declared the 1915 massacre of hundreds of thousands of Armenians &'8220;genocide.&'8221; European governments have been especially critical of Erdogan's commitment to basic freedoms since the coup. The country jailed more journalists than any other country in 2016, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists. Also, nearly 140 media outlets have been shuttered, more than 41,000 people have been arrested and about 100,000 workers have been dismissed from public service positions. Facebook, YouTube, Twitter interrupted during uprising Affording Turkey some leverage in the international spat is its key role in a Syrian migrant deal in which Turkey will resettle one refugee for every refugee resettled in Europe. In November, responding to European Union freezing EU membership talks with Turkey, Erdogan threatened, &'8220;If you go too far, the border gates will be opened,&'8221; according to Anadolu. Amid Sunday's diplomatic turmoil, Danish Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen postponed a yet-to-be-scheduled visit from his Turkish counterpart. &'8220;Under normal circumstances it would be a pleasure for me to greet Prime Minister (Binali) Yildirim in Copenhagen,&'8221; Rasmussen said. &'8220;But with the current rhetorical attacks by Turkey against the Netherlands, a new meeting cannot be seen isolated from that.&'8221; The Danish government is observing developments in Turkey &'8220;with great concern as democratic principles are under considerable pressure,&'8221; he said. &'8220;A meeting right now would be interpreted as if Denmark is viewing developments in Turkey more mildly, which is not at all the case.&'8221; The prime minister's office said Danish representatives and Turkish officials had been discussing the possible meeting for several weeks. It would have been scheduled for later this month in Denmark. In the Netherlands, far-right politician Geert Wilders praised the decision to bar the Turkish minister from entering the country and credited his own party for the decision. The Netherlands is heading for a nationwide vote Wednesday, with concerns about Muslim immigration a central issue. Riding a populist wave that ushered Donald Trump into the [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsMar 13th, 2017

Stop offloading mere namesakes

While they’re at it, they might as well make thorough the cleanup of that most corrupt Bureau of Immigration......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 18th, 2016

Road rage suspect in viral videos involving vehicle with plate no. 8 nabbed | News

Authorities arrested on Tuesday night the suspect in two road rage incidents involving the use of a vehicle with a license plate number of "8"......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated News2 hr. 35 min. ago

Bail denied anew for 2 ex-Immigration execs, gaming operator in P50-M plunder rap

THE Sandiganbayan Sixth Division affirmed its ruling denying bail for two former Immigration officials and their alleged bagman in their P50 million plunder case based on the “weight of evidence”...READ MORE The post Bail denied anew for 2 ex-Immigration execs, gaming operator in P50-M plunder rap appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated News18 hr. 23 min. ago

Reducing our carbon emissions

Reducing our carbon emissions.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsNov 13th, 2018

9 illegal foreigners nabbed by Immigration

9 illegal foreigners nabbed by Immigration.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsNov 13th, 2018

9 Chinese face deportation

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) is set to deport nine Chinese for illegally working as vendors in the country, an official said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 12th, 2018

Hontiveros seeks Senate probe into Miss Earth sexual harassment issue

MANILA, Philippines – Senator Risa Hontiveros on Monday, November 12, sought a Senate investigation into the alleged sexual harassment experienced by Miss Earth 2018 candidates . Hontiveros filed Senate Resolution No. 932 calling for an inquiry into the incidents, saying there should be zero tolerance for such acts. "Sexual harassment has no place anywhere, especially in a ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsNov 12th, 2018

Hontiveros wants inquiry into Miss Earth sexual harassment allegations

Sen. Risa Hontiveros has called for an inquiry into the alleged incidents of sexual harassment during this year’s Miss Earth pageant that victimized at least three candidates......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 12th, 2018

DFA repatriates 200 undocumented OFWs from UAE

  Some 200 undocumented overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) repatriated from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) were set to arrive in Manila on Monday, the Department of Foreign Affairs said.   In a statement released late Sunday, the OFWs who were granted amnesty by UAE were expected to arrive at 8 a.m. on board a Philippine Airlines flight from Dubai.   This latest batch of repatriated workers brings the number of Filipinos flown home by the DFA under the UAE amnesty program to 2,481.   The DFA said it shouldered the cost of the OFWs' immigration penalty fees and airfare. The DFA will also provide the repatriates with cash assistance when they arri...Keep on reading: DFA repatriates 200 undocumented OFWs from UAE.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 12th, 2018

Prepare your savings and brace yourselves for the biggest sale of the year! Mark…

Prepare your savings and brace yourselves for the biggest sale of the year! Mark your calendars as on November 11, exciting discounts are coming your way. Enjoy up to 90% off on your favorite participating deals! To make things even sweeter, earn MetroDeal CREDITS equivalent to 11% of your purchase! There's no time to waste… link: Prepare your savings and brace yourselves for the biggest sale of the year! Mark….....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsNov 11th, 2018

Cutting down social media use may help reduce depression, loneliness

New United States research has found that reducing time spent on social media platforms such as Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram may help improve well-being. Carried out by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania, the new study recruited 143 students at the university and asked them to complete experiments designed around Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram, the three social media sites being most popular with undergraduate students. Each participant was asked to complete a survey to assess their mood and well-being at the start of the study and were monitored over a period of one week to assess their usual level of social media use. They were then randomly split into two...Keep on reading: Cutting down social media use may help reduce depression, loneliness.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 11th, 2018

Trump’s triumph

From the very start, President Donald Trump’s message has revolved around immigration reforms, proposing sweeping changes aimed at curbing the entry of illegals to the United States......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 11th, 2018

Two trucks torched in Capiz

ROXAS CITY, CAPIZ – Two ten-wheeler trucks were torched by unidentified suspects in separate incidents at Brgy. Agkilo Panitan town, late evening of Nov 8, 2018. Another ten-wheeler truck was also torched in Brgy. Bolo here by still unidentified persons few hours after the discovery of Brgy. Agkilo fire incident. The trucks were owned by […] The post Two trucks torched in Capiz appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsNov 9th, 2018

Deped-Ilocos Norte to netizens: Stop sharing old kidnapping issue

CITY, Nov. 8 (PIA) - The head of the Department of Education (DepEd) in Ilocos Norte here continues to remind locals to refrain from sharing old statements from her regarding kidnapping incidents i.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsNov 9th, 2018

Backlash over FT journalist denied entry to Hong Kong

HONG KONG – Rights campaigners Friday, November 9, denounced Hong Kong 's barring of a senior Financial Times journalist as another blow to press freedom in the city which has come under increasing pressure from an assertive China. The refusal by immigration officials to let in the FT's Asia news ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsNov 9th, 2018