Advertisements


Harry Roque’s former NGO rebuts Malacañang arguments on ICC

The Center for International Law (Centerlaw) on Thursday said President Duterte’s decision to withdraw from the International Criminal Court gives the false impression that agents of the state can continue perpetuating a culture of impunity and even evade international accountability for crimes against humanity. These state actors include government agents, especially the police force – […].....»»

Category: newsSource: interaksyon interaksyonMar 15th, 2018

Palace: Halili death not state-sponsored

MALACAÑANG on Thursday denied claims that the killing of Tanauan City, Batangas Mayor Antonio Halili was state-sponsored. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said allegations that the government was behind the mayor’s killing remains an “unfounded” speculation considering that police are not yet done with its investigation. “Apparently iba’t ibang aspeto ngayon… Source link link: Palace: Halili death not state-sponsored.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJul 6th, 2018

Mayors’ slays aimed at eroding public trust in Duterte — Palace

MALACAÑANG yesterday said it considers the back-to-back killings of Luzon mayors as an attempt to erode public confidence in President Rodrigo Duterte even as it denied the presence of a culture of impunity in the country. Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. issued the remark after Akbayan party-list Representative Tom Villarin… Source link link: Mayors’ slays aimed at eroding public trust in Duterte — Palace.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJul 5th, 2018

FIBA WC Qualifiers: Palace chimes in on Gilas-Boomers brouhaha: 'Height of being unsportsmanlike'

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque called yesterday's free-for-all at the Philippine Arena between Gilas Pilipinas and the Australian national team as "the height of being unsportsmanlike", as the two teams figured in a brawl that led to 13 ejections. In this morning's daily briefing at Malacañan Palace, Roque said that the Palace understands the feelings of our cagers, however the ends did not justify the means, and the previous incidents that had led to the violent confrontation should not have been a reason to warrant the melee.  Despite Gilas and Australian players coming to their defense for their respective sides, Roque also clarified that the incident was 'regretful and should not have happened'. [Related: FIBA WORLD CUP ASIAN QUALIFIERS: Chot stands his ground with Gilas, basically names Kickert as trigger] "It should never have happened, that’s why it’s called sports. But at the same time we’re saying that we emphatize that they have to act as a team which will not justify their conduct. I think we would have to say it was a truly regretful incident." "And in the 52 years that I’ve spent in this existence, that’s the worst I’ve seen at least in the Philippines. We see that in other countries, but really not in the Philippines." Roque added that the game should have been stopped then and there when Daniel Kickert elbowed Roger Pogoy, in retaliation for the offensive foul on Chris Goulding, however, as seen in the replay, referees had already called the unsportsmanlike foul before all hell broke loose. The spokesperson also lamented that better officiating could have quelled tensions leading up to the fight.  Regarding the penalties to be handed out by FIBA, the world's governing body for basketball, the Palace hopes that as the true sportsmen the Philippines' players are, they should honor the decision gracefully.  .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 3rd, 2018

DU30 open to dialogue with church

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte is willing to hold a dialogue with the Catholic Church, Malacañang said yesterday. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said despite Duterte’s tirades against Catholic priests, the President is not closing the door on mending ties with the Church leaders. “Kung dayalogo ay talaga naman pong bukas ang… Source link link: DU30 open to dialogue with church.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJun 14th, 2018

PHL as Chinese province ‘not too far’: ex-Chief Justice Davide

RETIRED Chief Justice Hilario G. Davide Jr. on Thursday said the Philippines’ becoming a province of China “may not be too far.” “Last February 19, before Chinese businessmen, the President mentioned the Philippines as a province of China. Malacañang Spokesperson Harry (L.) Roque explained it was a joke, but knowing China, it will not consider […] The post PHL as Chinese province ‘not too far’: ex-Chief Justice Davide appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMay 17th, 2018

New DENR undersecretary named

FORMER Social Security System (SSS) commissioner Jose Gabriel M. La Viña was appointed undersecretary of the Department of Tourism (DoT), Malacañang announced on Wednesday. Presidential Spokesperson Harry L. Roque, Jr. said last February that Mr. Duterte had not renewed his appointment of Mr. La Viña and Amado D. Valdez, respectively as commissioner and chairman of […] The post New DENR undersecretary named appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 25th, 2018

EU envoys will not be expelled, Palace clarifies

Malacañang on Saturday denied rumors that diplomats of the European Union (EU) will be kicked out. “Fake news spreading that EU Ambassadors to be expelled. Absolutely no truth to this,” Palace spokesman Harry Roque told reporters in a text message. The rumors swirled after EU lawmakers called for the scrapping off the Philippines’ trade perks [...] The post EU envoys will not be expelled, Palace clarifies appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsApr 22nd, 2018

‘Tirades vs Sereno not an attack on SC’

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte was not attacking the judiciary when he called for the immediate removal of Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno, Malacañang said. In a television interview, Palace spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said the impeachment case and quo warranto petition seeking Sereno’s removal were anchored on her failure to fully declare her wealth. “This is [...] The post ‘Tirades vs Sereno not an attack on SC’ appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsApr 22nd, 2018

EO on contractualization out by Labor Day — Palace

THE long-awaited executive order (EO) on contractualization may be out on Labor Day at the latest, Malacañang said on Monday, April 16. The EO as anticipated by labor groups was expected to be out on Monday. But in a press briefing that day, Presidential Spokesperson Harry L. Roque, Jr. said, “Well, okay, I was looking […] The post EO on contractualization out by Labor Day — Palace appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 16th, 2018

Palace clarifies NFA Council not abolished

By Camille A. Aguinaldo Malacañang on Friday denied reports that President Rodrigo R. Duterte has ordered the abolition of the National Food Authority (NFA) Council. In a statement, presidential spokesperson Harry L. Roque, Jr. clarified that the President had only intended to place the NFA and the NFA Council under the Office of the President […] The post Palace clarifies NFA Council not abolished appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 6th, 2018

Duterte orders relief of LTO personnel in Nueva Vizcaya for extortion 

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the relief of all personnel of Land Transportation Office (LTO) assigned in the truck weighing station in Aritao, Nueva Vizcaya following complaints of extortion activities in the area. Duterte issued the directives during his meeting with rice industry stakeholders in Malacañang on Thursday night, Palace spokesman Harry Roque said in… link: Duterte orders relief of LTO personnel in Nueva Vizcaya for extortion .....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsApr 6th, 2018

Duterte not eyeing term extension under a new charter — Palace

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has no plan to extend his stay in power beyond his term, Malacañang insisted on Tuesday following a proposal by his Charter change commission to retain term limits under the 1987 Constitution. In a statement, Palace spokesman Harry Roque said Duterte had no wish to extend his term and had even offered to [...] The post Duterte not eyeing term extension under a new charter — Palace appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMar 27th, 2018

Palace eyes Vitangcol testimony in MRT probe

MALACAÑANG said it was open to hearing former Metro Rail Transit (MRT) general manager Al Vitangcol 3rd’s testimony after the latter expressed readiness to help the government investigate the alleged corruption involving the maintenance deal for the mass transport system. In an interview, Palace spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said Vitangcol’s testimony could help the government [...] The post Palace eyes Vitangcol testimony in MRT probe appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMar 23rd, 2018

No third telco player in March, Palace admits

Malacañang has accepted the reality that a third telecommunications company will not be able to set up shop in the country in March as President Rodrigo Duterte wanted. Palace spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said the President did not set a new deadline this time but he wants the third telco firm to start operating “as [...] The post No third telco player in March, Palace admits appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsMar 22nd, 2018

‘Unhappy’ Duterte plans Cabinet revamp

MALACANANG on Friday hinted at possible changes in the Cabinet of President Rodrigo Duterte, saying he is “unhappy” with the performance of some members of his official family. In a television interview, Palace spokesman Harry Roque said Duterte told several journalists in a recent interview in Malacañang that he would fire some Cabinet officials. “Talaga… link: ‘Unhappy’ Duterte plans Cabinet revamp.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsMar 16th, 2018

Harry Roque’s former NGO rebuts Malacañang arguments on ICC

The Center for International Law (Centerlaw) on Thursday said President Duterte’s decision to withdraw from the International Criminal Court gives the false impression that agents of the state can continue perpetuating a culture of impunity and even evade international accountability for crimes against humanity. These state actors include government agents, especially the police force – […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsMar 15th, 2018

Malacañang slams UN commissioner

Malacañang on Saturday slammed the United Nations human rights chief for his remarks against President Rodrigo Duterte. Palace spokesman Harry Roque said the UN’s High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein remark that Duterte needs to undergo “psychiatric evaluation” was an affront to the nation. “I reiterate that the language used by the High [...] The post Malacañang slams UN commissioner appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsMar 10th, 2018

PH, UN in talks for new rapporteur to probe Duterte drug war — Palace

THE Philippines is in talks with the United Nations (UN) over the possible designation of another rapporteur who will conduct the investigation on President Rodrigo Duterte’s war against illegal drugs, Malacañang said. This developed after Palace spokesman Harry Roque maintained that UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial executions Agnes Callamard, who has been the subject of [...] The post PH, UN in talks for new rapporteur to probe Duterte drug war — Palace appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMar 9th, 2018

Palace: No Cabinet post for Robredo

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has not offered Vice President Maria Leonor “Leni” Robredo another Cabinet post, Malacañang said on Friday, even after she expressed “readiness” to work again with the Chief Executive. Speaking to reporters in Paniqui, Tarlac, Palace spokesman Harry Roque said Malacañang appreciated Robredo’s openness to join the Duterte Cabite but no position was [...] The post Palace: No Cabinet post for Robredo appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMar 2nd, 2018

UST’s expulsion of 8 students ‘right step forward’ – Palace

MALACAÑANG has welcomed the move of the University of Santo Tomas (UST) to expel eight students implicated in the fatal hazing of law student Horacio Castillo 3rd, saying that it was the “right step forward.” In a news briefing on Monday, Palace spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said the expulsion of the eight students sent the [...] The post UST’s expulsion of 8 students ‘right step forward’ – Palace appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsFeb 19th, 2018