Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




JBC ordered to answer appeal seeking to restore two slots for Congress - ABS-CBN News

JBC ordered to answer appeal seeking to restore two slots for Congress - ABS-CBN News.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJan 17th, 2017

Australian Open quotes: Rafael Nadal says no plans to retire

DENNIS PASSA, AP Sports Writer br /> MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Rafael Nadal isn't planning to give up tennis anytime soon. Johanna Konta won't take too seriously her dominating win in the Sydney International last Friday. And Sam Stosur, who has never done well at her home Grand Slam tournament, isn't getting too down on herself after her preparation — or lack of it— for Melbourne Park. Following are some thoughts and impressions from players who spoke on Sunday, the day before the start of the Australian Open: ___ RAFAEL NADAL The takeaway: Rafa is not about to call it quits anytime soon. Nadal, a 14-time major winner, is coming off two lengthy injury layoffs last year, including 2 ½ months off after pulling out of the French Open before the third round with left wrist injury and another rest at the end of the season. Just don't ask him if he's ready to pull out a rod and reel, or a 9-iron. 'If I don't believe that I can be competitive, and when I mean competitive, is fighting for the things that I fought for during the last 10 years, I will be probably playing golf or fishing at home,' Nadal said. 'I am being honest ... I am here because I believe ... I can fight for the things that really motivate me.' Given his history with injuries, Nadal was asked if he was playing pain free. 'What do you mean 'pain-free'?' he said. 'I am not injured, no. Pain-free is a long time ago.' ___ JOHANNA KONTA The Sydney-born British player, a surprise semifinalist at Melbourne Park last year, won the Sydney International final against Agnieszka Radwanska last Friday, a victory so dominating that the Polish player, ranked third in the world, said: 'I can't remember playing someone like this on that level, that consistent for the whole match. I couldn't really say that I did something wrong. She was just playing amazing tennis.' Konta said Sunday she's not reading too much into those plaudits. 'Obviously to have beaten a player like Aga, I'm definitely very pleased with the level I played,' Konta said. 'But we all know that it's not a given. It doesn't decide how you will do in the next event. I'm taking it as a positive from the week itself, but I'm looking to, again, work hard here and really try to do the best that I can here.' ___ SAMANTHA STOSUR Competing in her 15th Australian Open, the highest-ranked Australian woman in the draw has never made it past the fourth round at Melbourne Park. Her preparation for her home major wasn't helped with first-round losses at Brisbane and Sydney 'I can't change it, it is what it is,' Stosur said of her early exits. 'I'm not going into my first round freaking out that I haven't had more than two matches. Like I said, I've done everything else that I can. Obviously it would have been really nice to have played more. But I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person in that situation from the first two weeks of the year.' The 18th-seeded Stosur has a tough first-round match against Heather Watson of Britain. ___ SIMONA HALEP The fourth-seeded Halep lost in the first round last year at Melbourne Park. This year she'll have the distinction of opening play on the main Rod Laver Arena on Monday, against American Shelby Rogers. 'I hope is going to be better this year ... it's special to open the tournament on the biggest stadium. I'm not thinking very much at that thing. I just have to go there. I know the opponent pretty well.' Halep beat Rogers in straight sets in the third round at the 2015 U.S. Open in their only previous meeting. ___ TOMMY HAAS The 38-year-old German veteran has said 2017 will be his last year on tour — he's taking over as tournament director at Indian Wells. Haas, who plays Benoit Paire of France in the first round, wants to go out with some dignity after a career of injuries. He has been ranked as high as No. 2, won 15 ATP Tour titles, reached the semifinals of the Australian Open three times and Wimbledon once, and won a silver medal at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. His career has been stalled by injuries since he had shoulder surgery two years ago and right foot surgery in the middle of last year. 'I think it's important to find that right time, or that moment for you when you feel it's over and it's time to do something else,' Haas said Sunday. 'For me it's very important just to be back on tour and back here at the Australian Open. It's been a while since I've played here and I'm excited to get the opportunity to go out on the court one more time and compete.' And to keep playing, hoping that his best is once again around the corner. 'When you are a dreamer, and a lot of us are, you obviously like to play at your best level again, maybe play against some of the top players somewhere on a big stage and play a great matches,' Haas said. 'Maybe get far in a tournament one more time.' .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 15th, 2017

Match-fixing back in spotlight on eve of first Grand Slam

JUSTIN BERGMAN, Associated Press   For Rafael Nadal and the other stars of tennis, there's a familiar ring to the questions being raised as the first ball is about to be struck at the Australian Open. Recent match-fixing sanctions and a new case are bringing fresh scrutiny to the integrity of the sport a year after corruption allegations cast a pall over the first Grand Slam of the year. '(It's) obviously negative, always in the first month of the season starts to happen,' Nadal said at the season-opening Brisbane International. 'You get tired about this kind of stuff, but the most important thing is fight against these kinds of things.' The headlines started appearing early in the new year. On Jan. 5, police in Australia charged an 18-year-old player with a match-fixing offense at a lower-tier tournament last October in Traralgon, near Melbourne. Days later, another Australian player, Nick Lindahl, now retired but once ranked in the top 200, was handed a seven-year ban and $35,000 fine from the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) for offering to throw a match at a minor tournament in the city of Toowoomba in 2013. Lindahl had already been fined after a criminal trial. Two other Australian players received lesser punishments in connection with the incident. While Traralgon and Toowoomba are far removed from the glittering lights of Melbourne Park, the timing of the developments was troubling nonetheless. Last season began similarly beneath a cloud of suspicion after a report by BBC and Buzzfeed alleged that tennis authorities had suppressed evidence of match-fixing and failed to investigate possible cases of corruption. The reports went over old ground, but the timing and the headlines overshadowed the tournament. 'I haven't heard anything (about match-fixing) since last year's Australian Open,' German player Mischa Zverev told The Associated Press last week in Brisbane. 'I think it was funny timing. ... Like the day before the Oscars, they're going to bring something up to make somebody not win it, or win it.' Since then, tennis leaders have gone into overdrive to restore confidence in the sport. An independent panel was created to review the TIU, the internal body tasked with combating corruption, and authorities promised to implement all of its recommendations when it is completed this spring. The TIU also took separate steps to strengthen its monitoring and investigation efforts, develop new anti-corruption education programs for players, and improve the transparency of its operations. In an email statement to The AP, the agency said nine players and officials were sanctioned last year for match-fixing — the most for a single year since the unit was established in 2008. Several were banned for life, including a young South African player and four officials from Turkey and Uzbekistan. The unit also expanded its outreach efforts with betting operators and regulators, leading to increased reporting of suspicious wagers. In 2016, the TIU received 292 betting alerts — an 18 percent increase over the previous year. The vast majority of those came from the Challenger and Futures circuits on the men's tour, considered the most at-risk for match-fixing given the lower likelihood of detection and the smaller earnings of the players. However, the TIU said three alerts were generated at Grand Slam events, as well. The agency was quick to note, though, that an alert isn't necessarily proof of match-fixing. Of the more than 114,000 matches played last year on the professional tours, only 0.2 percent triggered a suspicious betting alert. 'Tennis was one of the first major sports to recognize the potential threat of betting-related corruption and do something about it,' the TIU said. 'It will be for the independent review panel to take a view on the conduct and effectiveness of the unit and to put forward recommendations to improve the current structure and approach.' Whatever the investigators recommend, the fact remains the TIU faces an uphill battle. Technology has shifted the gambling landscape in such a way, it's increasingly difficult for monitors to keep up. In tennis, wagers aren't just placed on who wins or loses; bets can be placed during matches in real time on everything from total points won in a game to whether a set goes to a tiebreak. 'We're talking individual player activities here,' said Hans Westerbeek, dean of the College of Sport and Exercise Science at Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia. 'It's much easier to get into a situation where you approach individual players to do things that can be, if done well, quite well hidden from it being suspicious.' He likens it to the ongoing battle against performance-enhancing drugs. 'You're always struggling to keep up with the innovations that a better-resourced front of gambling operators, legal or illegal, will have available to advance their technology.' Ryan Rodenberg, an associate professor of forensic sports law analytics at Florida State University, says this is one reason a more sophisticated approach is critically needed. He recommends an internal monitoring system that analyzes each match for suspicious activity in real time, rather than relying solely on betting alerts. 'A robust betting data-monitoring operation would have both in-house capabilities and a number of collaborative information sharing agreements with third parties such as sportsbooks, private monitoring firms or academics,' he said. 'Anything less is sub-optimal.' With a limited budget of just $3.23 million for 2017, however, there is only so much the TIU can do. As such, preventative measures such as education have become a priority. More than 25,000 players and officials have completed the TIU's online anti-corruption training program, and a new version will be launched that players will be required to complete every two years. 'Educating players who are up-and-coming and those who support those players is a very good, positive and necessary thing to do,' Westerbeek says. 'Because the root of the problem is ... people not really (understanding) they're engaging in criminal activity.' ___ AP Sports Writer John Pye contributed to this report. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 12th, 2017

‘Don’t restore Laguna lake mega dike project’

‘Don’t restore Laguna lake mega dike project’.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 9th, 2017

Editorial: Dignity and honor

Editorial: Dignity and honor.....»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsJan 8th, 2017

Respect for life and human dignity

Respect for life and human dignity.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 7th, 2017

Lawyer Argee Guevarra says suspension by Supreme Court contradictory - ABS-CBN News

Lawyer Argee Guevarra says suspension by Supreme Court contradictory - ABS-CBN News.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJan 7th, 2017

Kilalang abogado, sinuspinde sa pag-atake kay Dra. Vicki Belo

SINUSPINDE ng Supreme Court (SC) ang kilalang abogadong si Atty. Argee Guevarra dahil sa mga mapanirang salita laban kay Dra. Victoria ‘Vicki’ Belo-Henares at Belo Medical Group, Inc. (BMGI) sa facebook account ng naturang abogado. Sa 13-pahinang desisyon ng SC First division, isang taon ang ipinataw na pagbabawal kay Guevarra na pagtatrabaho bilang dahil sa [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsJan 6th, 2017

Lawyer suspended over FB posts

In a decision, the Supreme Court ruled that lawyer Roberto “Argee” C. Guevarra was guilty of violation of the rules of the Code of Professional Responsibility for his posts in Facebook that “publicly insulted and undermined the reputation” of Dr. Victoria “Vicki” Belo-Henares and the Belo Medical Group Inc......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

CL power providers help restore electricity in typhoon-hit Bicol region

CL power providers help restore electricity in typhoon-hit Bicol region.....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsJan 4th, 2017

'ROUND THE CLOCK | MERALCO, FICELCO work day and night to restore power

'ROUND THE CLOCK | MERALCO, FICELCO work day and night to restore power.....»»

Category: newsSource:  bicolstandardRelated NewsJan 4th, 2017

NGCP seeks to restore power in 4 provinces

NGCP seeks to restore power in 4 provinces.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 28th, 2016

Globe provides support to communities affected by Typhoon Nina as restoration activities continue  

As of 2 pm Tuesday, Globe Telecom is now able to provide critical telecommunication services in majority of areas heavily affected by Typhoon Nina amid accelerated efforts to restore the company’s wireless network.  According to Yoly Crisanto, G.....»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsDec 27th, 2016

Energy dept moves to restore power in areas pounded by 'Nina'

Energy dept moves to restore power in areas pounded by 'Nina'.....»»

Category: newsSource:  bicolstandardRelated NewsDec 26th, 2016

Energy dept moves to restore power in areas pounded by ‘Nina’

Energy dept moves to restore power in areas pounded by ‘Nina’.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsDec 26th, 2016

‘Business Maverick’ Yoshiaki Ito seeks to restore Japan’s MMA glory

‘Business Maverick’ Yoshiaki Ito seeks to restore Japan’s MMA glory.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsDec 22nd, 2016

Refreshed Klitschko looks to restore reputation vs Joshua

LONDON — When Wladimir Klitschko fights Anthony Joshua for two world heavyweight titles in April, it will end an 18-month wait to restore his boxing reputati.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 14th, 2016

Lagman: House lacks numbers to restore death penalty

Lagman: House lacks numbers to restore death penalty.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 13th, 2016

Ombudsman: Failure to uphold rule of law disregards human dignity

Ombudsman: Failure to uphold rule of law disregards human dignity.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 10th, 2016

A Christmas break

How fortunate we are to have the House of Representatives, wise and sensitive enough to refrain from acting on the proposal to restore the death penalty until after Christmas!.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 9th, 2016