Advertisements


Govt steps in to rescue Hanjin, woos investors

Govt steps in to rescue Hanjin, woos investors.....»»

Category: financeSource: thestandard thestandardJan 11th, 2019

Govt steps in to rescue Hanjin, woos investors

Govt steps in to rescue Hanjin, woos investors.....»»

Category: financeSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 11th, 2019

Solon urges study on Hanjin options

Malacañang should constitute a Cabinet-level committee that will look into “all available options” to quickly revive the now-idle Subic shipyard of bankrupt Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines Inc., the party-list group ACTS-OFW said Thursday. “Our biggest concern now is how to rescue the shipyard’s 10,800 Filipino workers, including the 7,000 laid off in December,” […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJan 17th, 2019

Govt must stay out of Hanjin mess, shipyard business

THE surprise bankruptcy of shipbuilder Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines (HHIC-PH) is certainly cause for grave concern. But just as Malacañang has so far downplayed the urgency of the…READ The post Govt must stay out of Hanjin mess, shipyard business appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 16th, 2019

Partylist solons urge govt takeover of Hanjin | The Manila Times Online

Partylist solons urge govt takeover of Hanjin The Manila Times Reports that Korean-owned Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines (HHIC-Phil) could be bought by a Chinese firm have alarme.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJan 16th, 2019

Partylist solons urge govt takeover of Hanjin

Reports that Korean-owned Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines (HHIC-Phil) could be bought by a Chinese firm have alarmed opposition lawmakers, who called on the government on Tuesday to consider…READ The post Partylist solons urge govt takeover of Hanjin appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsJan 15th, 2019

Hanjin default threatens banks’ credit ratings

Credit ratings of five Philippine banks are in danger after they were exposed to what could be the biggest corporate default in Philippine history, as this could mean higher credit costs and reduction in profit, Moody’s Investors Service said......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 15th, 2019

Hanjin: Balancing security, economy

THE POSSIBLE takeover by Chinese investors of the troubled Hanjin shipbuilding/shipyard facility in Subic Bay is fraught with security implications that the administration must weigh together with political and economic considerations......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 14th, 2019

Banks’ credit ratings at risk from Hanjin

HUGE LOAN EXPOSURES to troubled Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines (HHIC-Phil) could pull down credit ratings for the five Philippine banks concerned as its problems would mean narrower profits for absorbing possible defaults, Moody’s Investors Service said in a Jan. 14 note......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJan 14th, 2019

Performance snapshot: Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines, Inc.

HUGE LOAN EXPOSURES to troubled Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction Philippines (HHIC-Phil) could pull down credit ratings for the five Philippine banks concerned as its problems would mean narrower profits for absorbing possible defaults, Moody’s Investors Service said in a Jan. 14 note. Read the full story......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJan 14th, 2019

2 Chinese firms eye Hanjin | Inquirer Business

Two Chinese shipbuilding firms are interested to take over the Philippine business of the Hanjin Group of South Korea, a government official said, as the Duterte administration steps in to help save t.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJan 13th, 2019

Govt needs investors to build new Zambo airport

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Oct. 24 (PIA)-- The construction of a new world-class airport in the city will depend upon the buy-in of large scale investors, an official from the Mindanao Development Authority (.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsOct 25th, 2018

Govt needs investors to build new Zambo airport

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Oct. 24 (PIA)-- The construction of a new world-class airport in the city will depend upon the buy-in of large scale investors, an official from the Mindanao Development Authority (.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsOct 25th, 2018

PHL, China hold ‘productive’ talks on South China Sea — DFA

THE Philippines and the People’s Republic of China on Thursday tackled steps to enhance maritime cooperation in the disputed South China Sea (SCS) waters, especially in the areas of “search and rescue, safety, environmental protection, scientific research, and fisheries.”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsOct 19th, 2018

Govt-MILF Marawi rescue operations team reactivated as center for people’s concerns

A TEAM that was instrumental in helping rescue hostages and trapped residents in Marawi City during the height of the siege last year has been reactivated to serve as a center for receiving concerns on the government’s rehabilitation program. The post Govt-MILF Marawi rescue operations team reactivated as center for people’s concerns appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsSep 9th, 2018

DOE woos investors for energy projects in Cagayan Valley

SANTIAGO CITY, Isabela July 27 -- The Department of Energy (DOE) Thursday presents investment opportunities in the Cagayan Valley Region (Region II) during the Luzon-leg of the Energy Investment Brief.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJul 27th, 2018

DOE woos investors for energy projects in Cagayan Valley

SANTIAGO CITY, Isabela July 27 — The Department of Energy (DOE) Thursday presents investment opportunities in the Cagayan Valley Region (Region II) during the Luzon-leg of the Energy Investment Brief Source link link: DOE woos investors for energy projects in Cagayan Valley.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJul 27th, 2018

Elon Musk’s ‘pedo’ attack rattles Tesla investors: ‘This thing is unraveling’

Four days after Tesla’s fourth-largest shareholder urged “a time of quiet and peace,” chief executive Elon Musk lobbed one of his nastiest stink bombs yet: an accusation about an organizer of the Thailand cave rescue that investors say is a major distraction from his mission running the ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 17th, 2018

Marikina River level rises to 14.9 meters as city govt readies evacuation

THE Marikina River water level is up at 14.9 meters, short of the 15 meters before the local government raises a first alarm. Citas de Vera of Marikina Rescue 161 told dzBB that preparations were being made for a possible evacuation of residents in the affected areas. Once the water level reaches 18 meters or [...] The post Marikina River level rises to 14.9 meters as city govt readies evacuation appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJul 17th, 2018

As Saudis wilt on field, kingdom pursues soccer power grab

By Rob Harris, Associated Press MOSCOW (AP) — The Saudis have ambitions to seize control over parts of international soccer. Losing 5-0 by Russia in the World Cup opener shows they might have bigger problems at home. Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman had to endure the humiliation in the stadium on Thursday, with Saudi Arabia's mauling in Moscow coming at the hands of a side just below the Saudis in the FIFA rankings. Coach Juan Antonio Pizzi studiously sidestepped a question about whether his federation had been distracted lately. But it has. Just when the Saudis had a first World Cup appearance in 12 years to prepare for, the federation has been mounting a power grab of soccer far beyond the kingdom. What appears the creation of just another bureaucratic institution within the sport could actually have wider ramifications. On its face, the establishment of the South West Asian Football Federation by the Saudis, including the United Arab Emirates and Pakistan, to help to develop the game appears a benevolent undertaking, especially when the existing regional governing body is so vast. "Football is about growth and if you don't grow economically, socially, technically, you will not be moving," Saudi federation president Adel Ezzat told The Associated Press. "It's not enough for us to be in the World Cup. "We have a vision that an Asian country will win the World Cup one day, but there must be a start for that. Football is underdeveloped in many areas in Asia." Is the Asian Football Confederation to blame? "Ambitions have to be higher than winning the Asian Cup," Ezzat said. Confederation president Sheikh Salman, a Bahraini, said he "had no objection to the creation of SWAFF as long as it remains as a football body outside of the AFC's zonal structure." Scratch deeper below the surface and the true objectives of the new body seem a little cloudy. It is unclear why SWAFF is required when there are already regional offshoots of the AFC, including the West Asian Football Federation, which is led by Jordan's Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein who resisted an attempt by the Saudis to seize power of his organization before the new regional force emerged. "It will help Asia and it will help FIFA," Ezzat told The Associated Press. "We don't see anything wrong creating that connection between the south and the west. Football needs to grow." Ezzat maintained that SWAFF had followed the right legal steps to avoid breaching the rules of world football's governing body. Ezzat said FIFA governance committee head Mukul Mudgal had been dispatched by FIFA President Gianni Infantino to the SWAFF meeting on May 31 in Jeddah. The Indian judge denied he was in attendance. SWAFF said the founding members also include Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bahrain, Maldives, Yemen, Oman and Kuwait. Oman Football Association General Secretary Said Othman Al Bulushi told the AP his nation was waiting to assess the statutes and legality of the body within FIFA before confirming its membership. The entire Gulf is not in SWAFF. Take a look at the map and three countries in particular are missing: Iran, Qatar and Yemen. "It's not about the geographic map," Saudi federation president Adel Ezzat said. "It's about zones." Could it also be about politics? For three years, a Saudi-led coalition has been trying to drive out Iranian-aligned Shiite rebels known as Houthis from Yemen to break the civil war in the Arab world's poorest nation and restore the exiled government. Across the Gulf, the Saudis are part of a quartet, including the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain, which has spent the last year putting the squeeze on Qatar. Diplomatic ties with the energy-rich country have been severed amid allegations that Qatar supports extremist groups in the region, which Doha denies. The Qataris, though, have plowed ahead with preparations to host an event that will put them at the center of the world's attention: the next World Cup in 2022. Ezzat won't discuss Qatar, or the 2022 World Cup. Turki Al-Sheikh, head of Saudi Arabia's General Sports Authority, has been less circumspect, demanding earlier this year that Qatar be stripped of the hosting rights if corruption around its bid was proven. For now, in Saudi sights is Qatar's flagship sports network, which owns exclusive Middle East and North African rights to the World Cup. The BeIN Sports coverage of the Russia World Cup opener was watched across Saudi Arabia — but on a pirate channel. The beoutQ signal is transmitted by a Riyadh-based satellite provider, whose largest shareholder is the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Still, the BeIN coverage was seized on by Al-Sheikh to threaten legal action against the network for "wrongdoings against KSA, its sports and officials, and for exploiting sports to achieve political goals." In a tweet, Al-Sheikh added Friday that this "proves Saudi authorities' true stance when banning this network from airing on its soil." Soccer's world body, though, is finally intervening. FIFA said it is "exploring all options to stop the infringement of its rights, including in relation to action against legitimate organizations that are seen to support such illegal activities." What FIFA would not say is whether Infantino raised Qatar's concerns when he watched the opener in the Luzhniki Stadium alongside the Saudi crown prince. Infantino has been a keen visitor to Saudi Arabia over the last year, including meeting King Salman, as intrigue has swirled about the country's role in a consortium's plans to underwrite $25 billion to launch a vastly expanded Club World Cup and an international Nations League. "He knows for a fact the importance of Saudi Arabia in the region," Ezzat said. "That's why I believe he is paying a lot of attention to Saudi Arabia. ... That's a very important sign. (FIFA) know this country can play a very important role in the development of football." Infantino, though, said he believed the backing for the new competitions was "not part of a wider Saudi sports grab." The proposals have stalled because of opposition within the council to Infantino's secrecy over the financial backers. Growing football is part of a sweeping "Vision 2030" plan to wean Saudi Arabia off its near-total dependence on oil money. Prince Mohammed is trying to push Saudi Arabia to become a more cosmopolitan nation that appeals to international investors. Ezzat wants to create new soccer competitions under the auspices of SWAFF and invite countries to participate from beyond the region — particularly Europe. "The country is going through an important change," Ezzat said. "Football can be a catalyst for change. The FIFA president I'm sure knows this very well. ... My country can play an important role in football." Just not the Saudi national team at the moment......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 16th, 2018

Govt to borrow anew from small investors

The government is looking to raise money from small investors anew via a retail treasury bond (RTB) offering starting next week. “Please be advised that the Republic of the Philippines through the Bureau of the Treasury will issue peso-denominated three-year fixed rate retail treasury bonds in a minimum aggregate nominal principal amount of P30,000,000,000.00,” the [...] The post Govt to borrow anew from small investors appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMay 26th, 2018