Advertisements


GMAKF& nbsp;spearheads& nbsp;Taal relief efforts

GMA Network’s socio-civic arm GMA Kapuso Foundation (GMAKF) continues with its Operation Bayanihan for those affected by the eruption of Taal Volcano......»»

Category: entertainmentSource: thestandard thestandardFeb 12th, 2020

GMA Kapuso Foundation& rsquo;s Taal relief efforts get P1 million from Anvil Business Club

GMA Kapuso Foundation (GMAKF) received a one-million-peso donation from Anvil Business Club, Inc., an organization of young Filipino Chinese entrepreneurs, to support its on-going relief operations for those affected by the Taal Volcano eruption.    .....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 24th, 2020

SMC donates P23-m relief goods to Taal

San Miguel Corp. continues to mobilize resources from across the conglomerate to provide much-needed assistance to both communities impacted by Taal volcano’s recent eruption, and to various government and private groups spearheading relief efforts.  .....»»

Category: financeSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 21st, 2020

St. Luke& rsquo;s sends team to Batangas

St. Luke’s Medical Center–Global City launched relief operations for the victims of Taal Volcano eruption on Jan. 18. .....»»

Category: financeSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 25th, 2020

US Presidential candidates talk about press freedom amid ABS-CBN shutdown threats & nbsp;& nbsp;

Las Vegas--Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren expressed her support for the network amid efforts by Philippine government chief lawyer Jose Calida to nullify its existing franchise......»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  thestandardRelated News10 hr. 23 min. ago

Rondina reaping the fruits of her hard work

Sisi Rondina had a memorable and inspiring 2019. Capping a banner year by helping the Philippines to its first Southeast Asian Games women's beach volleyball podium finish since 2005, Rondina will be feted as Ms. Volleyball in the SMC-Philippine Sportswriters Association (PSA) Annual Awards Night on March 6. Not only that, Rondina is also a 37th SMB-SAC All-Cebu Sports Awardee, where she will receive the award on Feb. 29 in Cebu City.  A native of Compostela, Cebu, the 23-year-old Rondina, who is now with the newly-formed Creamline beach volleyball club, joins the ranks of Alyssa Valdez, Aby Marano, Mika Reyes, Dawn Macandili and Jaja Santiago who were previously bestowed with the prestigious PSA honor. "For me, blessed sobra di ko naman din po inakala na ganito po ang ibabalik sa akin. Minahal ko lang talaga mga committments ko and syempre putting efforts sa lahat ng mga ginagawa ko lalo sa paglalaro po," said Rondina.  Prior to winning the SEA Games bronze medal, Rondina joined forces with her long-time partner Bernadeth Pons in steering the Philippines to a quarterfinals finish in the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour 1-Star Boracay Open last May. In the same month, Rondina was scintillating in the taraflex floor, winning MVP honors for University of Santo Tomas, and leading the Tigresses to their first UAAP women's volleyball finals appearance in eight years. In her last season on the sand courts, Rondina paired with Babylove Barbon to cement UST's status as the most successful women's beach volleyball program while claiming her fourth MVP plum. Rondina takes pride of her roots in Cebu. "Wow, people are treating me like that po pero di ko iniisip yang mga ganyan kasi everyone can be a pride of their town but thankful kasi isa ako sa mga nabiyayaan," said Rondina.  "Sana in some way maging tool ito to inspire young ones and syempre for those player na katulad ko kahit ano ka pa sino ka man pag may pangarap ka walang imposible," she added. Together with Pons, Dzi Gervacio and Dij Rodriguez, Rondina spearheaded the country’s beach volleyball campaign in the SEA Games. Rondina didn't fail the adoring fans who trooped the Subic Tennis Courts by ending the Philippines’ 14-year medal drought in the sport. As Rondina is trying to continue to grow the game of beach volleyball locally and internationally, she is determined to inspire further young and aspiring players, especially those from the province. "Ako honestly, didnt expect na ganitong biyaya ang binigay saken pero ang alam ko pinagdadasal ko lahat para sa pamilya ko at para sa mga taong naniniwala sa akin. Actually para saken wala lang to kasi ang mas timbang sa akin kung ano yung mga behind ng awards ko mga tulong at mga napasaya ko or sa amin yun ang nag ma-matter sa akin," said Rondina.  "And siyempre huwag na wag nilang kalimutan ang nasa Itaas, disiplina sa sarili at wag na wag makalimot sa mga taong tumulong sayo. Lastly huwag na huwag susuko sa mga pangarap na minimithi. Kahit sino at ano ka pa maging totoo ka lang at maipakita mo kung ano ang kaya mong gawin yun na yun," she added......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsFeb 15th, 2020

STATEMENT OF ABS-CBN ON OSG’S QUO WARRANTO PETITION: WE DID NOT VIOLATE THE LAW

The Office of the Solicitor General’s filing of a quo warranto case against ABS-CBN on alleged violations of its franchise appears to be an effort to shut down ABS-CBN to the serious prejudice of millions of Filipinos who rely on the network for news, entertainment and public service.   These allegations cited by the Office of the Solicitor General in his press statement are without merit. ABS-CBN complies with all pertinent laws governing its franchise and has secured all necessary government and regulatory approvals for its business operations.   (1)   All our broadcast offerings, including KBO, have received the necessary government and regulatory approvals and are not prohibited by our franchise.    (2)   ABS-CBN Holdings’ Philippine Deposit Receipts or PDRs were evaluated and approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Philippine Stock Exchange prior to its public offering. These are the same instruments used by other broadcast companies to raise capital for the improvement of services.   (3)   The ownership of ABS-CBN in ABS-CBN Convergence was undertaken under the same law and structures that have been utilized by other telecommunications companies. These are transfers that are approved under the Public Telecommunications Policy Act and are fully compliant with law.    We reiterate that everything we do is in accordance with the law. We did not violate the law. This case appears to be an attempt to deprive Filipinos of the services of ABS-CBN.   KBO remains one of the cheapest forms of entertainment that we can provide to the public. The capital we have raised from the PDRs has enabled us to provide services to nearly 90 percent of the Philippines and to our OFW’s all over the world. Our work with ABS-CBN Convergence supports the government policy of finding ways to bring down the cost of internet access.   The Senate, the House of Representatives, and the Executive Branch have assured the public that our franchise will be allowed to go through the proper renewal process in a fair manner. To that end, the filing of the quo warranto case is ill-timed given that Congress has already resumed its session.   We remain committed to our mission to serve the Filipino people especially at this time when millions of Filipinos rely on our services in delivering information such as the 2019 NCoV ARD, the developments in the Middle East, and updates on Taal Volcano situation as they relate to our countrymen.    .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsFeb 10th, 2020

30 years after Tyson fight, Buster Douglas is feeling good

By JULIE CARR SMYTH Associated Press COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Thirty years after his startling victory against boxing titan Mike Tyson, Buster Douglas is feeling healthy and basking in the glory he says he was denied at the time. “Right now, everything is looking up,” Douglas said in a recent Associated Press interview, noting he struggles with diabetes. “Feeling good and the numbers are good. It's a good thing.” The 59-year-old fighter will be celebrated at an anniversary gala Friday in his hometown of Columbus, Ohio, where he'll raise money for programs that help others who face seemingly insurmountable challenges. His stable of students throughout Columbus' parks and recreation system look up to the man they call simply “coach” as a teacher, friend and hero. “I mean, I really look up to Mike Tyson, but I don't look up to him as much as Coach," said 11-year-old Colton Matson, who has worked with Douglas since he was 6. “Really, Mike Tyson was the second-most greatest boxer in the world still to this day. It's crazy that Coach, like, just beat him," he said. "It might have just been luck, but I can tell you that Coach worked hard for it even if it was luck.” Tyson was the reigning undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, and a frightening opponent to boot, when he entered the ring against James “Buster” Douglas on Feb. 11, 1990, in Tokyo. Only one Las Vegas bookie — whether brave or stupid — would set odds on the fight: 42 to 1. Douglas won, stunning the sports world. But what followed was anything but a celebration. Tyson and fight promoter Don King challenged Douglas' victory, claiming Douglas had gone down first in the fight but been given more time than allowed to get up. Douglas' victory was ultimately upheld, but not before months of drama and expensive litigation. “Don came at me with a vengeance and I was subpoenaed everywhere I went to," Douglas said. "It made it very uncomfortable and kind of took the ‘f’ out of fun.” A message was left at a phone number for King. Tyson didn't respond to an interview request. He told late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel in 2015 that it was “Buster's anniversary” to celebrate, not his. Tyson said the loss was a positive for him in the end, allowing him to learn how to “overcome adversity.” The two have barely crossed paths since the fight. The dispute over the fight's outcome — combined with lingering grief over his mother's death shortly before the fight — sent Douglas into a slump, he said. “Believe it or not, I was where I really didn't care about anything,” he recalled. “Something I always looked forward to becoming one day and then you get it and it turns into a nightmare really quick.” Douglas said he was almost relieved when Evander Holyfield knocked him out in the third round of their match-up a little over eight months later, taking the title. “It was a relief and then it was upsetting, too, because of how it all came to an end,” Douglas said. A short reign, with a long legacy. The fight is still remembered as one of the most spectacular upsets in sports history. Douglas' story gained new attention with the 2018 release of an ESPN documentary, titled "42 to 1" after the odds against Douglas. Douglas has given his charity effort the same name and formed an ongoing strategic partnership aimed at delivering several programs focused on workforce development, diversity and soft skills training to at-risk youth. He said working with kids is one of his favorite things to do. Inside a training ring at Columbus' Thompson Community Center, Douglas towers over most of his students, chanting, “Left, right, left, right, left, left” as they punch away at the pads on he wears on his hands in place of gloves. He said he gave up on his life and health for a period after the fight. In 1996, he woke up in a hospital on death's door. Again, life presented him a mountain to overcome. “A light bulb came on. It was either get back into life or cash it on in,” he said. “I decided to get back into life.” He staged a six-fight comeback before retiring from boxing in 1999, then launched into his work with the city of Columbus. Students say he's kind, tough, generous and “very genuine.” It's all enhanced by what he accomplished in 1990. “It really inspires me that he beat the best boxer in the world back then,” Matson said, "and I just think that's awesome.”.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsFeb 8th, 2020

Delta Sales Team extends help to Taal evacuees

ON January 21, Manila-based Sales team of Delta Air Lines, organized a relief operation in Batangas City where more than 460,000 Filipinos have been displaced due to the hazardous volcanic activity of Taal. The team mobilized relief efforts in three schools located at Barangay Lodlod and Bolbok in Lipa City Batangas which shelter 300 families […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsFeb 8th, 2020

Government assures enough funds for containing virus

The Department of Budget and Management is open to allotting more funds to contain the novel coronavirus (nCoV) and to help people affected by the eruption of Taal Volcano, Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano said Friday......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 7th, 2020

DFA suspends visa issuances to Chinese

The Department of Foreign Affairs has temporarily stopped issuing visas to Chinese and other foreign nationals traveling here from China, Hong Kong, and Macau as part of efforts to stem the spread of the novel coronavirus (nCoV), which has killed more than 360 people......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 3rd, 2020

GMAKF executive honored at the 2020 Rotary Golden Wheel Awards

GMA Kapuso Foundation (GMAKF) Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Rikki Escudero-Catibog was honored at the 2020 Rotary Golden Wheel Awards held last Jan. 25 in Quezon City......»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 3rd, 2020

China pledges P7.2m for Taal disaster relief

China has pledged a 1-million renminbi (P7.2 million) cash donation to the Philippine government to assist in the ongoing disaster relief efforts for the displaced residents in Luzon following the Jan. 12 eruption of Taal Volcano, the Department of Finance said over the weekend......»»

Category: financeSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 2nd, 2020

Taal Volcano sways in & lsquo;harmonic tremor& rsquo;

Volcanologists on Saturday recorded another “harmonic tremor” or rhythmic shaking associated with magma movement from Taal Volcano in the past 24 hours. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 2nd, 2020

Phivolcs warns danger still lurks amid Taal Volcano& rsquo;s & lsquo;calm& rsquo; state

For the third time this week, the sulfur dioxide emission from Taal Volcano was “below instrumental detection,” but the volcano remains under Alert Level 3......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 1st, 2020

Anvil Business Club gives GMAKF P1M for Taal relief

GMA Kapuso Foundation (GMAKF) received a P1 million donation from Anvil Business Club Inc., an organization of young Filipino Chinese entrepreneurs, to support the foundation’s ongoing relief operations for those affected by the Taal Volcano eruption. Present during the courtesy visit and donation turnover were GMA Network Chairman and CEO Atty. Felipe Gozon and GMAKF […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 28th, 2020

NCAA Season 95: San Beda’s challenge fuels Arellano

Arellano University coach Obet Javier let his Lady Chiefs know during practice that San Beda University wanted to bring them down. The mentor lit a fire that served as three-time defending champion Arellano U’s motivation in the NCAA Season 95 women’s volleyball competition on Monday. The Lady Chiefs got word that the Lady Red Spikers’ court leader Cesca Racraquin, looking to fire up her team, and San Beda were all looking forward for the marquee duel – a rematch of last year’s Final Four - between two unbeaten teams. “’Yung sa sinabi sa amin ni Cesca po inaantay nya po kami na makalaban. Parang gustong-gusto nya po kaming talunin,” said reigning Most Valuable Player Necole Ebuen. Arellano U accepted San Beda’s challenge and responded with a dominating performance to preserve their perfect record for the solo lead.    Ebuen and Regine Arocha, who saw action despite feeling under the weather, came through with an inspired game to lead the Lady Chiefs to a 25-20, 25-21, 25-22 win over the same team that denied them a chance of an outright Finals berth last year. “Nung training po namin kahapon, siyempre po si Ate Regine, nawala sa training namin. Yun mga natira po nag-focus po talaga sa amin si Coach Obet na, ‘mag-focus kayo na kailangang talunin nyo yung gustong talunin kayo,’” said Ebuen. “Parang gigil na gigil po sa amin. Kumbaga kami po di naman kami nanggigil sa kanila, hinayaan lang po namin sila na manggigil sila sa amin.” The Lady Red Spikers gave a decent fight with Racraquin and Nieza Viray at the helm but their efforts weren’t enough to save San Beda from having its three-game winning snapped. Javier’s post-practice pep talk did wonders for the Lady Chiefs, who before taking on San Beda allowed winless San Sebastian College to steal a set from them last Saturday. “So maganda rin naman yun para malaman din ng team ko na, ‘Uy, tsina-challenge tayo ng opponent so i-grab natin. Bigyan natin ng magandang laban ang kalaban natin,’” Javier said. The Lady Chiefs will face streaking University of Perpetual Help on Wednesday in a rematch of last year’s championship series.     ---    Follow this writer on Twitter, @fromtheriles.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 27th, 2020

Kapamilya network goes full force in reaching all Taal evacuees

No evacuee will be left behind. This is the promise of ABS-CBN as it launches the “Tulong-Tulong sa Taal” public service campaign, which aims to unite the nation in helping all Filipinos affected by the recent eruption and continuous activity of Taal Volcano......»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 26th, 2020

Enrique Zobel’s family, PGA Cars donate to Taal relief efforts

The family of the late businessman and philanthropist Enrique Zobel, together with PGA Cars Inc. top executives Roberto Coyiuto III and Benedicto Coyiuto have committed to relief efforts assisting the thousands who have been displaced or affected by Taal Volcano’s unrest......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 26th, 2020

30 years of the PSC

On Jan. 24, the Philippine Sports Commission celebrated its 30th anniversary. Instead of hosting a grand party, the agency pitched in to help out with relief efforts for Taal Volcano eruption refugees......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 26th, 2020

Fog or ash? Whatever, it& rsquo;s bad for the health

If you've noticed the foggy-like haze seen around Metro Manila on Friday, it was not fog or ash from Taal Volcano, a meteorologist said. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 25th, 2020