Advertisements


Filipino netizens ‘very open’ to social media interaction

IN AN AGE where fake news and alternative facts have proliferated social media, Filipino netizens are found to be still more accepting of messages brands transmit to their news feeds, a research said. Kantar TNS’s 2017 Connected Life study — which involved a survey of 70,000 people in 56 countries and the conduct of 104 […] The post Filipino netizens ‘very open’ to social media interaction appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource: bworldonline bworldonlineOct 16th, 2017

After being cyberbullied, Isabel Lopez gets windfall of showbiz offers

New soap, two new movies - these were but some of the projects that former beauty queen and actress Maria Isabel Lopez bagged after drawing flak from netizens for using the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) lane last week.   Lopez said she had received "too many offers" after being bashed for admitting on social media that she removed the divider cones separating the Asean and open lanes on Edsa during the monster traffic jamon Saturday.   "Too many offers---tv guestings, new soap, 2 new movies for 2018, on top of the one I'm producing.. plus a new International film to be shot in Japan etc.. I'm booked guys till 2019.. haaay naku.. Bashers, why did...Keep on reading: After being cyberbullied, Isabel Lopez gets windfall of showbiz offers.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 16th, 2017

Gervacio returns to Foton

Dzi Gervacio will make a return stint with Foton for the 2017 Philippine Superliga Grand Prix, slated to open on October 21 as the Tornadoes gun for a three-peat in the import-laden tournament. The former Ateneo de Manila University star last donned the Tornadoes jersey two years ago and her addition will shore up the squad's lineup in the nine-team season-ending conference.   “Injury-plagued pa rin kami so we’ll see (if maka-three-peat) but Miss Gervacio will be a big boost to our campaign,” said Foton team owner Rommel Sytin Friday when he met Gervacio and league officials headed by chairman Philip Juico and president Ramon ‘Tats’ Suzara. Gervacio will add more firepower to the Tornadoes, alongside veterans and national team members 6-foot-5 Jaja Santiago and Maika Ortiz and holdovers Ivy Perez and returning Dindin Santiago-Manabat. Foton tapped Sara Klisura and Katarina Vukamanovic of Serbia and Dragana Perunicnic of Montenegro.  Gervacio suited up for the Tornadoes back in the 2014 Grand Prix and the 2015 All-Filipino Conference where she unfortunately sustained a left ACL injury in a match against Philips Gold. She returned to indoor volleyball last year with BaliPure in the V-League and then played for BanKo-Perlas in the 2017 Premier Volleyball League Reinforced Conference. Gervacio is also busy organizing tournaments for Beach Volleyball Republic with close friends and Ateneo alumni Charo Soriano, Bea Tan and Gretchen Ho. The meeting also served as a chance for bridging the gap between Gervacio and Suzara regarding the issue of the delayed release of the international transfer certificates of PVL imports back in May. Gervacio apologized for her tweets and the hashtag 'IbigayMoNaTatsSuzara, which accused Suzara, the marketing and development committee chair of the Asian Volleyball Confederation (AVC) and an active member of the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB), of meddling with the processing of the ITCs. Gervacio in an letter said that her decision to bring the issue through social media platform ‘was in no way to try and disrespect Mr. Suzara as it was my way of eliciting a response from the authorities regarding the matter.’ Suzara said that everything’s water under the bridge now and thanked Sytin for initiating the fruitful meeting to clear the issue. “I respect Mr. Sytin and admire him for his decision to settle all things among the PSL, our stakeholders, our players and prove that negativity has no place in our quest to become one of the leading sports leagues in the country,” he said.     --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @fromtheriles  .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 29th, 2017

Miss World social media suffers ‘Steve Harvey’ moment

The "Steve Harvey" bug has bitten the Miss World pageant -- specifically on social media.   On Saturday night, Miss World's social media accounts incorrectly posted a photo of the 1st and 2nd runners up of the recently-concluded pageant.   At 10:00 p.m., the pageant's Facebook page and Twitter account announced that Miss England Stephanie Hill had won as 1st runner up, while Miss Mexico's Andrea Meza was 2nd runner up.   The posts stirred confusion among netizens as the announcement at the Miss World's coronation said Mexico's Meza won 1st runner up and England's Hill was 2nd.   Hours later, the Miss World's Facebook page posted an ...Keep on reading: Miss World social media suffers ‘Steve Harvey’ moment.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated News17 hr. 41 min. ago

Premier Li tells Philippine media, China welcomes you

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang amused Filipino reporters when he said China's doors are open to Philippine media. Li, who was on an official visit to the Phiippines, said this in his  joint statement  with President Rodrigo Duterte in Malacañang on Wednesday, November 15, "We welcome more Philippine press to come to China to ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsNov 18th, 2017

‘Selfie King’ Sec. Bong Go surprised with sudden rise to fame

Special Assistant to the President Sec. Bong Go was surprised by his sudden popularity in social media after being called ‘Selfie King’ by netizens. Go said that he is amazedThe post ‘Selfie King’ Sec. Bong Go surprised with sudden rise to fame appeared first on DZRH News......»»

Category: newsSource:  dzrhnewsRelated NewsNov 16th, 2017

Fil-Brit Bailey May officially announced as member of int’l pop group Now United

A post shared by NOW UNITED (@nowunited) on Sep 6, 2017 at 5:10pm PDT Filipino-British talent Bailey May is officially a member of the global pop group Now United. The announcement was made on Now United's social media accounts: Bae BAILEY from the Philippines #nowunited || photo: @bartonbronstein A post shared by NOW UNITED (@nowunited) on Nov 15, 2017 at 8:18pm PST The group is a creation of Simon Fuller, who is best known for conceptualizing hit shows "American Idol" and "So You Think You Can Dance." He was manager to pop sensation Spice Girls. According to Radyo Inquirer, music producer Simon Cowell noticed May's talent and has bought out the teen...Keep on reading: Fil-Brit Bailey May officially announced as member of int’l pop group Now United.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 16th, 2017

Netizens, bands point fingers on cause of ASEAN Music Festival commotion

Netizens expressed their sentiments regarding the cancelled ASEAN Music Festival 2017 Tuesday night at the Ayala Triangle grounds in Makati City. In a video posted at the social media accountThe post Netizens, bands point fingers on cause of ASEAN Music Festival commotion appeared first on DZRH News......»»

Category: newsSource:  dzrhnewsRelated NewsNov 15th, 2017

Maine Mendoza dishes out advice on dealing with depression, coming out

Maine Mendoza took to social networking site ask.fm to field questions from netizens, ranging from tips on making friends to her favorite poem. The showbiz sweetheart gave entertaining responses with her typical "punny" humor. But the 22-year-old also gave some real talk when the question called for it. "I think I am suffering from anxiety attack but I am afraid to seek help from an expert. I am even afraid to tell my family," confessed a netizen. She advised the person to be open to seeking help. "Tell your parents about it because they have to know. Sila ang tutulong sayo," advised Mendoza. (I's they who will help you.) "Kasi kung di mo sasabihin ako ang magsasabi s...Keep on reading: Maine Mendoza dishes out advice on dealing with depression, coming out.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 9th, 2017

PH extradition hearings begin for doctor accused of New York plot

MANILA, Philippines – A Filipino doctor accused of wiring money for a foiled New York jihadist plot appeared in a Manila court Tuesday to fight extradition to the US, saying the Islamic State group hacked his social media accounts. Russell Salic  and two others have been charged with involvement ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsNov 7th, 2017

Video of US first lady, teens and K-pop star goes viral

SEOUL, South Korea --- A video of first lady Melania Trump smiling at South Korean girls who had burst into screaming when they saw a member of K-pop boy band has been shared widely on social media. The video showed Trump at ease with South Korean teenagers in school uniforms at an event where the first lady gave a speech on the importance of giving girls equal access to sports. When the girls noticed Choi Min-ho, a member of Shinee, standing next to Trump on a surprise visit, they started to scream and clap, while the first lady watched them with a wide smile. South Korean Twitter users praised the first lady's interaction with the girls and the K-pop star, especially her l...Keep on reading: Video of US first lady, teens and K-pop star goes viral.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 7th, 2017

2 Pinoys among Time s Most Influential Teens of 2017

MANILA — Two Filipino teenagers made it to Time Magazine’s list of the 30 Most Influential Teens of 2017 — a list which takes into account “global impact through social media, and overall ability to drive news.” Hawaii-based male beauty guru and internet superstar Bretman Rock, 19, made the cut after dominating social media with… link: 2 Pinoys among Time's 'Most Influential Teens of 2017'.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsNov 4th, 2017

Alonso extends McLaren contract through 2018

By Jim Vertuno, Associated Press AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Formula One driver Fernando Alonso has put an end to the uncertainty by extending his contract with McLaren to the 2018 season. The two-time F1 champion's current three-year contract ends this year and the 36-year-old Alonso was considering his options with other teams, and even whether to continue in F1. Alonso, who won the title in 2005 and 2006 with Renault, said "it's fantastic to be able to continue my relationship with everybody at McLaren" and that "my heart was telling me to stay." The Spaniard's decision to stay for an additional year comes on the back of McLaren's recent decision to ditch Honda engines next year and switch to Renault. Honda's F1 return in 2015 was greeted with huge enthusiasm amid hopes of rekindling what was once a hugely successful partnership in the glory era of Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna. But despite signing up Alonso and pairing him with 2009 F1 champion Jenson Button, it failed spectacularly. Alonso grew increasingly frustrated — including comments on social media — with the team's underperforming car. Alonso has only 10 points this season and is 16th. "It has been three difficult seasons for us," Alonso said. "Now I think it's time to change this situation and hopefully next year to be back in the positions that McLaren belongs ... Let's see what we can do next year, but definitely happy again to have a Renault engine on my car." Speculation had grown that Alonso might leave F1 altogether when he skipped this season's Monaco GP to compete in a one-off race in the Indianapolis 500. Alonso wouldn't detail his contract extension other than to say it is for more than one year. He said he won't race Indianapolis in 2018, but said he could be back there in the future and hinted he may drive other series as well. "I don't know if it will be 2019 or 2020 or whenever but it's a race that I definitely will experience again," Alonso said. "There are no other priorities than Formula One at the moment, but with a door open for different series and different goals. I always believed that you need to win in other series if you want to be a more complete driver, a better driver, because motorsport it not only Formula One." Alonso has done well to get the most out of an ailing car and still has the competitive streak that saw him win 32 races — even though the last of those was in 2013 with Ferrari. McLaren racing director Eric Boullier said "you really can't ask for a better driver to deliver a result ... I think everybody in Formula One would acknowledge that." Alonso will race alongside Belgian driver Stoffel Vandoorne next year, keeping the current partnership in place. ___ AP Sports Writer Jerome Pugmire contributed to this report......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 20th, 2017

'MeToo | Filipinos share experiences of sexual harassment; ‘Can we raise better men?’

More and more these days, Filipino social media users are sharing their stories of sexual harassment and abuse under the hashtag #MeToo and calling attention to the need to raise “good men” who know right from wrong. It was Hollywood actress Alyssa Milano who sparked the trend when she asked her Twitter followers at the […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsOct 18th, 2017

Jeepney riders feel effects of transport strike

MANILA, Philippines – The lack of public transport, in particular jeepneys, was felt by commuters on Monday, October 16, the first day of the nation transport strike.  As early as 7 am Monday, netizens took to social media their experiences on the lack of jeepneys during the third nationwide strike ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 16th, 2017

Perfectly healthy Isaiah Austin appreciates love from Pinoys

Isaiah Austin is yet to play one game for the Philippines but Filipino fans have already embraced him as one of their own. Maybe because Austin is practically 'Puso personified. After news broke out that the former Baylor star will reinforce Chooks-to-Go Pilipinas in the upcoming FIBA Asia Champions Cup with the possibility of him being a naturalized player for the Gilas program for good, the reception has been entirely positive. After all, Isaiah Austin is young at just 23 years old, he's big at 7'1' and a standing reach of almost 10 feet, and he's pretty good as well being a projected top-10 pick in the NBA three years ago before he was unfortunately diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome. Speaking of Marfan Syndrome, the genetic disorder basically ended his basketball career in 2014, but he's back at it now three years later because Isaiah is 100 percent healthy. Not 99 percent. 100 percent. One Benjamin. He's good as new. He is practically 'Puso personified. And that's why Pinoys already love him. And he knows that. 'I read a lot of the comments,' Austin said, referring to the flood of messages he has recieved on social media over the past week. 'It's hard for me to get back on everybody just because of the fact that there's thousands of people reaching out to me right now,' he added. Even if he's not able to answer all the messages of love he has received from his now legions of adoring Pinoy fans, Isaiah says he's taking everything in and he is thankful for all of it. 'I appreciate all the love and support and if I don't get back to you, don't take it as me ignoring you. Just know that I really do appreciate the support and I do read all your comments. It definitely means a lot to me,' Austin said. Barely a year since he's been cleared to play after dealing with Marfan Syndrome, one can't help but think just how healthy Isaiah Austin is really. Just to be clear. He's is perfectly healthy. Good as new. 'I'm 100 percent healthy that's why I'm out here playing basketball on the court. If there's any reason for me not to play, if the doctor said I was 99 percent healthy, I won't come out here,' he said. 'Basketball isn't worth my life,' Austin added.   br /> --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8 .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 16th, 2017

Bea Alonzo reminds netizens: No negativity

MANILA, Philippines - Bea Alonzo takes her social media use seriously with this simple rule: No negativity......»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 26th, 2017

Kian drug ties confirmed via social media? Netizens slam PNP

Kian drug ties confirmed via social media? Netizens slam PNP.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 25th, 2017

WATCH: Filipino folk group s version of Game of Thrones soundtrack

MANILA, Philippines — A Filipino folk band's ethnic version of  the opening theme song of hit HBO series "Game of Thrones" has been trending on social media......»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 14th, 2017

Facebook moves vs sexual content sharing

MANILA, Philippines - Social media giant Facebook has taken down several groups used by Filipino internet users to share sexual content, including child porn.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 8th, 2017

Manny s camp, social media slam judges after shock loss

BRISBANE — Manny Pacquiao’s camp yesterday slammed the officials after the Filipino great lost his World Boxing Organization welterweight title in a controve.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 2nd, 2017