Advertisements


Embrace China Telecom, Pinoys told

Filipinos should welcome China Telecom as the third player in the Philippine telecommunications industry, instead of dwelling on the possible security risk issues its entry poses, a cybersecurity expert said on Thursday. Rey Lugtu, president of digital transformation consultancy firm Hungry Workhorse, said Filipinos should give China Telecom or other foreign telcos a chance to [...] The post Embrace China Telecom, Pinoys told appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource: manilatimes manilatimesJan 11th, 2018

Different approaches to bitcoin in Asia

TOKYO, Japan – From clampdowns to a warm embrace, regulators in Asia have taken very different approaches to dealing with the  bitcoin phenomenon . Here are the developments in a few key markets: Chinese clampdown In mid-September, China's central bank, the People's Bank of China (PBOC), told ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 7th, 2018

5 foreign firms eye PH telco sector

China Telecom Corp. isn’t the only foreign company interested in becoming the Philippines’ third telco player, a senior government official said. Eliseo Rio, Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) officer-in-charge, told reporters on Wednesday that five firms from Japan, Korea, China, Australia and the United States were looking at investing in the country. “Iba [...] The post 5 foreign firms eye PH telco sector appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsDec 21st, 2017

PT& T confident it can compete with or without China partner

By Patrizia Paola C. Marcelo, Reporter PHILIPPINE Telegraph and Telephone Corporation (PT&T) is confident it can compete in the market as the third telco player, regardless of the outcome of its “preliminary” talks with China Telecom. “We consider ourselves as the de facto third player,” PT&T Chairman Salvador Zamora told BusinessWorld last week. He noted the […] The post PT&T confident it can compete with or without China partner appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsDec 18th, 2017

Former intel officer warns vs entry of China Telecom

A retired intelligence officer who held a delicate post at the height of China's artificial island-building in the South China Sea told the Inquirer that the entry of China Telecom into the Philippine market poses a national security threat. "It's going to be a long-term disaster for us," he said, observing that President Rodrigo Duterte "is so enamored with China." "We're dead. They [will] now have access to our telecom infrastructure," added the former officer, speaking on condition of anonymity. Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said on Sunday that acting Information and Communications Technology Secretary Eliseo Rio Jr. told a recent Cabinet meeting that C...Keep on reading: Former intel officer warns vs entry of China Telecom.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 11th, 2017

TransCo seeking partnership with ‘3rd player’ China Telecom

By Victor V. Saulon, Sub-Editor NATIONAL Transmission Corp. (TransCo) wants to be the partner of the Chinese company that was named by the Communications secretary as Beijing’s choice as the proposed third player in the local telecommunications industry. “We can be the 60%,” Melvin A. Matibag, TransCo president and chief executive officer, told reporters during […] The post TransCo seeking partnership with ‘3rd player’ China Telecom appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsDec 11th, 2017

After years of big spending, Chinese football goes quiet

SEOUL, South Korea--- In the 2017 winter transfer window, the Chinese Super League outspent the English Premier League by $422 million compared to $315 million. A year on, England or Spain is set for the top spot and Chinese soccer officials are perfectly happy. Alarmed by the amount of money heading into the pockets of foreign players, clubs and agents, authorities in Beijing moved to slow down the market and it seems to have worked. "The relative lack of spending in the Chinese transfer window reflects the ongoing moderation of the market for players by China's state authorities," Simon Chadwick, professor of Sports Business at Salford University in the United Kingdom, told T...Keep on reading: After years of big spending, Chinese football goes quiet.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated News6 hr. 33 min. ago

Federer urges fellow players to embrace the media

Roger Federer has urged his fellow professionals to act themselves and not as robots during media interviews to keep tennis interesting for the sporting public. The Swiss star is a consummate media performer and regularly conducts his post-match interviews in multiple languages for the large global press contingent that hang on his every word. The 19-time Grand Slam champion says some of his fellow players struggle with their media obligations, fearful of being misinterpreted. "I feel they're fearful of you guys (media) just because they feel they have been misinterpreted in the past," he told reporters after his straight sets opening round win over Aljaz Bedene at the Aus...Keep on reading: Federer urges fellow players to embrace the media.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated News18 hr. 46 min. ago

Survey shows Pinoys most optimistic in Asia-Pacific

Thanks to "rising economic growth, a soaring travel industry and greater interregional economic cooperation," citizens of the Asia-Pacific region are feeling optimistic about their future---and Filipinos are the most optimistic of them all. This was one of the key findings of the recent MasterCard Index of Consumer Confidence based on a survey conducted twice yearly in the Asia-Pacific covering 18 markets: Australia, Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. The latest survey was conducted between October and November last year among 9,141 respondents...Keep on reading: Survey shows Pinoys most optimistic in Asia-Pacific.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 10th, 2018

Palace: South Korean telco keen to be third player

By Arjay L. Balinbin A SOUTH KOREAN firm, apart from Beijing’s China Telecom, is interested in entering the telecommunications industry in the country, according to Communications Secretary Jose Ruperto Martin M. Andanar. “We had a Cabinet meeting with the President, the 21st Cabinet meeting which was also the first Cabinet meeting for this year. At […] The post Palace: South Korean telco keen to be third player appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJan 10th, 2018

Globe holds 2018 capex budget steady at $850 million

GLOBE Telecom, Inc. has set aside a capital expenditure (capex) budget of $850 million (P42.37 billion) for 2018, unchanged from a year earlier, primarily to meet demand for bandwidth-intensive content. In a statement, the telecommunications company said the capex budget was approved by its board. Globe President and CEO Ernest L. Cu told reporters in… link: Globe holds 2018 capex budget steady at $850 million.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJan 6th, 2018

Globe holds 2018 capex budget steady at $850 million

GLOBE Telecom, Inc. has set aside a capital expenditure (capex) budget of $850 million (P42.37 billion) for 2018, unchanged from a year earlier, primarily to meet demand for bandwidth-intensive content. In a statement, the telecommunications company said the capex budget was approved by its board. Globe President and CEO Ernest L. Cu told reporters in […] The post Globe holds 2018 capex budget steady at $850 million appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJan 5th, 2018

Globe Telecom expects to spend over P42B this 2018

MANILA, Philippines – Globe Telecom Incorporated has set an $850 million (P42.38 billion) capital spending budget for 2018 alone, same level as last year, mainly to fund its commitment to provide fast internet service to two million homes by 2020. Globe told the local bourse on Friday, January 5, that ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 5th, 2018

PLDT, Smart ink another partnership deal with Huawei

MANILA, Philippines – Listed PLDT Incorporated  and its mobile unit Smart Communications Incorporated sealed a $28.5-million (P1.4-billion) partnership deal with China's Huawei Technologies Company Limited to improve the telco giant's wireless service delivery platforms.  PLDT on Tuesday, January 2 told the local bourse that ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 2nd, 2018

Third telco player still open to other investors, says Palace

The country's telecom industry remains open to other foreign investors, although President Rodrigo Duterte has said he wants to give the third slot to China, Malacaang said on Sunday.   "The third player who is expected to enter the Philippines is not limited to China. This is open to all telcos or investor from around the world," Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said in a radio interview.   "Whoever can give the best, the most viable offer, or the juiciest offer to us, that will be the third player in the telecommunications industry in the Philippines," he added.   "The President said that he wants it as soon as possible, first or second quarter o...Keep on reading: Third telco player still open to other investors, says Palace.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 2nd, 2018

Letters From Davao by Jun Ledesma

‘It was a good year’ We have seen the litany of achievements of Duterte administration. It dwarfed the entire six years of the Aquino regime. It could have done better except that it has to first fix a lot of damages wrought by an inept regime that has likewise institutionalized corruption and abetted crime the most horrific of it all – the drug syndicates.  Space or brevity must have limited some significant achievements of the  Department of Finance and am referring to the upgrades of credit ratings of the Philippines from investment grade to investment grade and stable. While early on Standard & Poor’s claimed that President Duterte’s war on drugs and alleged extra-judicial killings are factors that account for the static rating by December 2017 it grudgingly acceded that something good is happening in the Philippines under Duterte’s watch.  Finance Sec. Sonny Dominguez and his team deserves the credit. Fitch and Moody’s in their “investment grade and stable” rating in December enunciated that the issues surrounding drugs and EJK have nothing to do with the rosy economy of the country and its image as capital investment destination. The country’s economic performance for one is top in Asia and there is no turning back with the expected massive spending on infrastructures and government services starting 2018 and beyond.  The Duterte government achievements scoreboard makes the moribund opposition drooling. Still on Finance, expect the billionaires who are also the country’s tax dodgers to cough up. TRAIN or the Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion gives a huge relief to 99 percent of those small taxpayers saving the ar least P50,000.00 in tax cut!  But demands and exacts the reasonable taxes from the rich especially the filthy rich. Last year sampling of Lucio Tan (P6-billion), Mighty Cigarettes (P40-billion) and the Prieto and Rufinos’ one-mile asset that they are accountable to the government in still unquantifiable amount as yet? There is a subliminal message to be absorbed why candidate Rodrigo R. Duterte refused to accept donations from the rich and famous: just pay your taxes correctly and you’re okay.  The Bureau of Internal Revenue and the Bureau of Customs are churning more collections under a continuing reforms.  President Duterte himself did dramatic and radical transformations in the area of Foreign Affairs and security. He was chided and lectured on by self proclaimed experts in diplomacy and security alliances especially with the generous expletives he is famous for. But as he admitted to the point of being apologetic, he told media men in this year’s Christmas party, “but that is me”.  Duterte’s foray into foreign affairs and diplomacy might be severely lacking in refinements but he put across his message clearly and direct and one cannot quarrel with what he achieved in such a brief moment. He virtually altered the outlook of the western countries on small sovereign nations. He overhauled alliances by an unwritten rule of mutual respect and cognizance of sovereignty. While Aquino made enemies with China which is the world’s second largest economy resulting in unquantifiable losses of opportunities Duterte reversed that with the resumption of trade, financial assistance with cheap money interest, massive infrastructure projects that will come into fruition by 2018. World leaders to include Xi Jinping of China, Vladimir Putin of Russia, PM Shinzo Abe of Japan and, to the dismay of the so-called Yellowtards, US Pres. Donald Trump who became his virtual phone pal.  The Department of Agriculture under Sec. Manny Pinol, did exemplary well. Productivity is better than expected and could have performed better if not for the natural calamities that the country has to contend with. Maybe the Bureau of Fisheries under it may try something out of the box. Propose to China to convert that disputed island into a one big marine laboratory. China provides the infrastructures while the Philippines the technical aquatic expertise. Make a 10-mile no-fishing marine haven around the island and guarded by the joint coastguard forces of China, Philippines and Vietnam. The Philippine Coconut Authority under Cabinet Sec. Jun Evasco is about to embark on a massive replanting program.  The Aquino government allocated billions of pesos to fight ‘cocolisap’ infestation but applied the wrong solution. Well, what do we expect from a certain Kiko Pangilinan? The replanting program was a big failure on account of  massive graft in high and low places. Replanting as well as new areas had been programmed by PCA.  Finally we have to give accolade to our Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police for combating internal threats, terrorism and syndicated crime. The AFP and PNP are more prepared and better equipped now than any other time in history. Furthermore we see a disciplined forces in the AFP and while there are a few remaining scalawags in the PNP the cleansing process is done without let-up. We from Mindanao are comfortable and secured with their presence even under the aegis of martial law. If you do not believe me look at the various surveys on the popularity and trust of Filipinos on President Duterte and his government.  This will end my perspectives for year 2017 and we look forward to 2018 the Build, Build, Build era. The beginning of the new Philippines. Mindanao and Davao City, from where I live and write, may have suffered from natural calamities but we had seen, suffered and endured worse scenarios and even man made tragedies than […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsDec 29th, 2017

China Telecom asks Facebook to take down ‘fake page’, says ComTech official

STATE-owned China Telecom sought the assistance of social media giant Facebook in removing a “fake page,” after alleged postings by the firm regarding its entry into the Philippines started to circulate on the internet. “Confirmed na it is a fake FB (Facebook) page. Pinapatanggal na ng China Telecom sa Facebook,” Eliseo Rio, officer-in-charge of the [...] The post China Telecom asks Facebook to take down ‘fake page’, says ComTech official appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsDec 29th, 2017

UN bars 4 North Korean ships from ports — diplomats

UNITED NATIONS, United States --- The UN Security Council on Thursday denied international port access to four North Korean ships suspected of carrying or having transported goods banned by international sanctions targeting Pyongyang, diplomats told AFP. The ban of the four vessels -- the Ul Ji Bong 6, Rung Ra 2, Sam Jong 2 and Rye Song Gang 1 -- was requested by the United States along with measures targeting ships registered in other countries, they said on condition of anonymity. But China only agreed to target the four North Korean ships, diplomats said, as part of international efforts to curb Pyongyang's missile and nuclear programs. "Only four ships have been accepted...Keep on reading: UN bars 4 North Korean ships from ports — diplomats.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 29th, 2017

Globe, hindi takot sa telco mula China

BUKAS ang Globe Telecom sa pagpasok ng ikatlong player sa telco industry kasabay ng pagsasabing daan pa ito upang mapalago lalo ang bilang ng pagdami ng kanilang cell sites sa bansa. Ayon kay Globe Senior Vice-President for Corporate Communications Yolly Crisanto, mas maraming ‘player’ sa ‘telco industry,’ mas maraming kababayan….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsDec 21st, 2017

China Telecom a choice between duopoly, nat& apos;l security — Lacson - Inquirer.net

China Telecom a choice between duopoly, nat'l security — Lacson - Inquirer.net.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsDec 20th, 2017

De Lima: Duterte turning PH into China’s satellite state

Detained Sen. Leila de Lima on Tuesday accused the Duterte administration of turning the Philippines into a "Chinese satellite state" with the impending entry of a Chinese telco company into the country. De Lima warned that the entry of China Telecom Corp. Ltd., China's largest telecommunications company, posed a security threat to the Philippines' information and communication infrastructure. "Do we really want a country who has most interest in undermining our national security to have a major role in our public utilities, especially communications?" De Lima said in a statement. "What will assure us that in the future, our national security and whole intelligence and defen...Keep on reading: De Lima: Duterte turning PH into China’s satellite state.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 19th, 2017