Advertisements


Duterte: Remain meek, humble to get mercy of China s Xi

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte stressed the need to "remain meek and humble" to appease the ego and receive the "mercy" of the likes of Chinese President Xi Jinping.  In a speech in Aurora on Tuesday, May 15, Duterte also said Xi is proposing a ........»»

Category: newsSource: rappler rapplerMay 16th, 2018

Faces of the News: Antonio Carpio

The acting Chief Justice has become a dissenting voice in the wilderness in the fight for Philippine sovereignty over some islands in the Spratlys amid the government's acquiescence to China's militarization in the disputed waterway. "Any self-respecting sovereign state will immediately formally protest such encroachment on its sovereignty and sovereign rights. The Philippines must do no less," Carpio said after Beijing deployed nuclear strike-capable planes in the Paracels. Soon, he said, Beijing may land long-range bomber planes on Philippine-claimed Panganiban, Zamora and Kagitingan Reefs. President Rodrigo Duterte had earlier stressed the need to "remain meek and humble"...Keep on reading: Faces of the News: Antonio Carpio.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 26th, 2018

After Duterte tirade, China asserts right to warn planes

MANILA, Philippines – Despite criticism from Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, China asserted its right to warn certain planes flying over the South China Sea, Reuters reported on Thursday, August 16.  The Chinese foreign ministry, in a statement sent to Reuters , asserted that the disputed Spratly Islands remain Chinese ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 16th, 2018

Duterte: PH stands with China in war vs criminality, drugs, terrorism

THE Philippines stands with China in its war against crime, drugs and terrorism, President Rodrigo Duterte said on Monday. In his speech opening the Boao Forum for Asia in Hainan, China, Duterte reiterated that the Philippines would remain “committed to interconnectivity, both in functional terms and in political engagement.” “Bilaterally, the Philippines is showing how complex [...] The post Duterte: PH stands with China in war vs criminality, drugs, terrorism appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsApr 10th, 2018

US remains top PH ally – Yasay

The United States (US) will remain the most important partner for the Philippines even as President Duterte improves ties with China, his Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay said ahead of the Filipino leader’s trip to Beijing......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 14th, 2016

Duterte on frigates issue, Michael Yang, Harry and Meghan | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler - Duterte admits role in Navy-Bong Go frigates issue- De Lima calls on Senate to investigate Michael Yang- New moon: China to launch lunar lighting in outer space- Trump says Saudi journalist likely dead, warns of 'severe' response- Royals ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 19th, 2018

LeBron shines in debut, but Lakers still have lots to do

By Shaun Powell, NBA.com PORTLAND, Ore. -- His first basket of this new era was much like many others, in terms of impact and its ferocity and jaw-dropping nature. LeBron James stole the Trail Blazers’ cross-court pass and before him was the open court … and thousands of open mouths, all bracing in anticipation of a moment. His fast-break dunk was just as you expected it would be, jammed through the basket with a cocked arm and followed by a brief pose at landing, for emphasis and style. The greatest player in the game was back in full soar Thursday but, as it were, his new team remained stuck to the floor. Overall, this process is gonna take some time, you think? Before the Los Angeles Lakers whip the basketball world into a frenzy, they must whip Portland. And also the Houston Rockets, who visit Staples Center on Saturday (Sunday, PHL time) for the Lakers’ home opener. And the Golden State Warriors. And Anthony Davis and the New Orleans Pelicans. And any team in the Western Conference that considers itself a contender. But you knew this, right? “We’ll have to go through some moments,” LeBron said after the Lakers lost at Moda Center, 128-119. “We’ll have some adversity.” True, this isn’t an overnight sensation in the making. “Not as fast as you (media) guys think it’s going to happen,” LeBron said. The Lakers will get more chances to make a first impression, and that’s a good thing for them as they navigate through a potentially tricky transition period with their shiny new showpiece. There is only one thing that’s a lock through this bumpy path: LeBron is still the force he was in Cleveland and Miami, his only other NBA stops. Months before turning 34, his flow and his basketball instincts remain steak-knife sharp and his pride is intact. He tipped off his season by playing 37 minutes -- so much for reduced minutes here after 15 years of deep tread wear on his wheels -- and delivered 26 points, 12 rebounds and six assists. “I mean, that’s crazy, a guy to be in his 16th year playing at that pace and above the rim the way he was,” said Blazers guard Damian Lillard. “He looked like himself.” That said, he and his teammates are still working on their wavelength. This was evident for much of the night, when connections were missed and confusion reigned at times. On Thursday (Friday, PHL time), LeBron threw a behind-the-back pass that in Cleveland or Miami would usually hits is mark to teammates aware of his tendencies and timing. Last night, LeBron tried it and the ball dribbled out of bounds, all of which flummoxed LeBron and Kyle Kuzma (the nearest Laker). After the whistle blew and possession went to Portland, LeBron and Kuzma had a brief chat. “I expected Kuz to pop,” explained LeBron, “and he rolled. Then another time (Rajon) Rondo went to the hole, JaVale (McGee) thought it was going to him and it was meant for me. We’ll get better at that.” These first few weeks, if the Lakers are fortunate, will be conducted in a vacuum and a laboratory. Transitions are usually like that. LeBron had a similar one in Miami eight years ago, when a 9-8 start playing alongside Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh had folks thinking the sky was falling. With these Lakers, the reaction will -- or should, anyway -- be more muted if only because the expectations aren’t through the ceiling this season. The Lakers are trying to nourish the limited basketball experience of Kuzma, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart and Brandon Ingram with LeBron (and Rajon Rondo) taking on more of a mentor role. That means class will be in session most, if not all, season. LeBron is preaching patience not only for those in and outside of the organization, but for himself as well. Sometimes, it’s easier said than done. LeBron realizes that he’s on the clock personally, even though his stamina and level of play remain high. “A lot of these guys don’t have as much experience, so I have to understand that,” James said. “And I do.” LeBron seems cursed by celebrated season openers, falling to 0-4 all-time in his debut games. He scored 25 points in his rookie opener, but Cleveland lost to the Sacramento Kings. He had 31 in his Miami opener in a loss to the Boston Celtics. And he had 17 points in his Cleveland return in 2014, a home loss to the New York Knicks. The Lakers’ crime Thursday (Friday, PHL time) was a failure to tighten up defensively and of course the mistakes that could be blamed on a getting-to-know-you game. And then there’s another issue that LeBron will soon discover, if he hasn’t already: He’s not in the easy East anymore. “There’s a tough game every night,” Lillard said. The West had 10 teams with winning records last season fighting for eight playoff spots. Coaches and players in the West were fond of tweaking their neighbors across the Mississippi in 2017-18, saying the non-playoff teams in the West should take some East spots. Of last season’s playoff teams, none return seriously weaker -- unless you’re ready to bury the San Antonio Spurs (who have a 21-year playoff streak going) or Minnesota Timberwolves (who are coping with the Jimmy Butler crisis). The Blazers were the No. 3 seed and were swept in the first round by the Pelicans, which puts the depth and overall strength of the West in perspective. Only three games separated the Blazers and the ninth-seeded Nuggets during the regular season. Meanwhile, the Rockets and Warriors were beyond the reach of mortals. LeBron chumped the East eight straight times to reach the NBA Finals. Yet by most indications, he’s an A-list teammate away from spooking the Warriors -- and that teammate isn’t in a Lakers uniform this season. This journey through the West could either humble LeBron or, at the least, make him realize the work needed for the Lakers to regain contender status. Heck, the Lakers couldn’t even prevent Nik Stauskas from having the biggest night of his NBA life. He scored 24 points and made more three-pointers (five) than the Lakers’ starting lineup (two). It was telling that Lakers coach Luke Walton started Rondo over Ball at point guard -- an understandable move after Ball missed several months recovering from knee issues. Rondo was mainly stellar (11 assists, three steals) while the Lakers’ fourth-quarter lineups excluded Ball. Meanwhile, Hart (20 points off the bench) earned crunch time minutes. “Everyone had different roles last year,” Walton said, “and some of those roles could change.” Well, someone’s role will remain the same. Regarding that guy, Walton said: “Glad he’s on our team. He’s pretty good at the game of basketball.” Veteran NBA writer Shaun Powell has worked for newspapers and other publications for more than 25 years. You can e-mail him here or follow him on Twitter. The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NBA, its clubs or Turner Broadcasting. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 19th, 2018

President Duterte to Security Forces: ‘Be Neutral’ in 2019 Elections

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte on Monday, October 15, commanded the nation’s security forces to be unbiased and remain non-partisan during the election season. In a speech during the Philippine Army’s change of command rites here, the President asked soldiers to make a deal with the Filipino people. “Let us make a deal here, promise, we […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsOct 17th, 2018

Go: I will still be your “Kuya”

OUTGOING Special Assistant to the President Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go reiterated on Tuesday that he will remain as the people’s “Kuya” despite leaving his post as the special assistant of President Rodrigo Duterte. Go, who is aspiring for a Senate seat after filing his certificate of candidacy on Monday, stressed that he will continue to […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsOct 16th, 2018

No government resources for admin bets – Duterte

No candidate would be allowed to use state resources during the campaign period, President Duterte said yesterday, as he ordered security forces to remain non-partisan and to work for honest elections......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 16th, 2018

Duterte to Announce Oil Excise Tax Hike Suspension

President Rodrigo R. Duterte is set to announce his decision on the temporary suspension of the scheduled oil excise tax hike for 2019, as price of oil in the international market is projected to remain at USD80 per barrel level in the coming months. “Today’s price and multiple estimates of crude prices over the next […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsOct 15th, 2018

More foreign players join third telco contest

Two foreign players, including the Chinese firm said last year to be preferred by President Rodrigo Duterte, have joined the race to become the Philippines’ third major telco. Selection documents have been purchased by China Telecommunications Corp. and Austria’s Mobiltel Holding GmbH, who join Norway’s Telenor Group and five domestic firms that earlier this week… link: More foreign players join third telco contest.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsOct 13th, 2018

China Telecom, PT& T eye 3rd telco bid

MANILA, Philippines – The Chinese company which was earlier touted to be preferred by President Rodrigo Duterte to be the country's 3rd major telecommunications player formalized its intent to bid, the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) announced on Friday, October 12. China Telecom was ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 12th, 2018

More foreign players join third telco contest

Two foreign players, including the Chinese firm said last year to be preferred by President Rodrigo Duterte, have joined the race to become the Philippines’ third major telco. Selection documents have been purchased by China Telecommunications Corp. and Austria’s Mobiltel Holding GmbH, who join Norway’s Telenor Group and five domestic firms that earlier this week [...] The post More foreign players join third telco contest appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsOct 12th, 2018

US-PH war exercise worries China

  China has raised concerns about a joint US-Philippine military exercise that coincides with the visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping to the country in November, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said on Tuesday.   Roque said Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Zhao Jianhua raised the concern in a meeting with President Rodrigo Duterte in Malacaang on Monday.   Zhao called on the President to discuss Xi's visit.   "China of course expressed concern over a naval, a military, exercise that the United States will be conducting in the area about the same time that the Chinese president will be in the Philippines," Roque said.   ...Keep on reading: US-PH war exercise worries China.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 10th, 2018

'PHVote2019, Federalism draft, Padre Pio | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler: President Rodrigo Duterte says Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano will run as Taguig Representative in the 2019 elections. President Rodrigo Duterte assures Chinese Ambassador Zhao Jianhua the Philippines will not take part in U.S. military exercises in the South China Sea in November. Top Senate leaders reject the draft charter of ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 10th, 2018

Under construction: How the Philippines’ projects with China are progressing

President Rodrigo Duterte has secured several loan agreements on different infrastructure initiatives with China two years ago, visited it more than any other country during his term and shifted foreign policy focus towards the Asian giant. The new chapter in the country’s relationship with one of the world’s most powerful economies, however, has not yet […] The post Under construction: How the Philippines’ projects with China are progressing appeared first on Interaksyon......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsOct 10th, 2018

Carpio: Out of ICC, PH helpless vs China

Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio warned that the Philippines would be giving up a "very strong" legal deterrent against a possible China invasion of the West Philippine Sea if it withdrew from the International Criminal Court (ICC). At the last round of oral arguments on Tuesday, Carpio listed the implications of President Rodrigo Duterte's order in March to pull out from the international treaty creating the ICC on the maritime dispute with China. Carpio told Solicitor General Jose Calida in open court that the Philippines could sue China's leaders, led by President Xi Jinping, at the ICC for alleged crimes against humanity should China invade Philippine-occup...Keep on reading: Carpio: Out of ICC, PH helpless vs China.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 9th, 2018

Duterte to China: We won t join U.S. exercises

Duterte to China: We won t join U.S. exercises.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  pepRelated NewsOct 9th, 2018

Justice Carpio: Leaving the ICC will weaken Philippine stance vs China

MANILA, Philippines – Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio is pushing the envelope when it comes to challenging the policies of President Rodrigo Duterte. Carpio said on Tuesday, October 9, that Duterte’s unilateral withdrawal from the International Criminal Court (ICC) will weaken the Philippines’ position against ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 9th, 2018

Under construction: How Chinese-funded infrastructure projects are progressing

Despite President Rodrigo Duterte securing several loan agreements on different infrastructure initiatives with China two years ago, the agreement has not yet resulted in a completed project. Duterte in October 2016 visited Chinese President Xi Jinping and signed more than ten agreements on infrastructure projects in an effort to boost the countries’ bilateral relationships with each […] The post Under construction: How Chinese-funded infrastructure projects are progressing appeared first on Interaksyon......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsOct 9th, 2018