Advertisements


Duterte no longer keen on trip to Kuwait?

President Rodrigo Duterte’s trip to Kuwait may no longer push through. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the President is seriously reconsidering pushing through with the said trip following the invitation of the Kuwaiti government to visit the Gulf State. It will be recalled that the Philippine government declared a total….....»»

Category: newsSource: journal journalFeb 13th, 2018

Thankful over labor deal, Duterte eyes Kuwait trip

“I GOT all that I wanted.” President Rodrigo Duterte is visiting Kuwait to thank the government there for granting measures ensuring the well-being of Filipino workers in the Gulf state. Speaking at the oath-taking ceremony of newly-elected barangay captains in Pampanga Tuesday, the President said, "I am going to travel….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsJun 13th, 2018

Team sent by President already in Kuwait

Talks between a Philippine delegation sent by President Rodrigo Duterte and Kuwaiti officials bore positive results, according to an official in contact with the team.   The trip to Kuwait led by Abdullah Mama-o, presidential adviser on overseas Filipino workers and Muslim concerns, was productive, according to an official of the National Commission on Filipino Muslims (NCMF).   Dimapuno Alonto Datu Ramos Jr., director of the NCMF's External Affairs Bureau, told Inquirer by phone that Mama-o and his team had been meeting Kuwaiti officials over the diplomatic row triggered by an operation by the Philippine Embassy there to rescue Filipino workers from abusive Kuwaiti...Keep on reading: Team sent by President already in Kuwait.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 7th, 2018

Bello awaits go signal to go to Kuwait

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III continued to wait for President Rodrigo Duterte's go signal to proceed with his trip to Kuwait to negotiate better terms for Filipino migrant workers in the oil-rich Gulf state.   "He's ready anytime," said Raul Francia, head of the Department of Labor and Employment's Information and Publication Service.   Bello had said he expected to be in Kuwait on May 7. ---Tina G. Santos...Keep on reading: Bello awaits go signal to go to Kuwait.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 7th, 2018

DU30 clams up on Kuwait crisis

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte is keeping mum and will no longer quarrel with Kuwait following the dispute over Filipino workers in the Gulf State. In his Labor Day speech in Cebu City President Duterte said he would now prefer to shut his mouth as talks between Manila and Kuwait are ongoing.….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsMay 1st, 2018

Duterte Wants All Pinoys Out of Kuwait

President Rodrigo R. Duterte on Saturday said he wanted all Filipino workers out of Kuwait and back home, noting that he could no longer take the abuses against them in the Gulf state. Duterte bared this in a speech before the Filipino community in Singapore during the sidelines of the 32nd ASEAN Leaders’ Meeting. He […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsApr 30th, 2018

Duterte scraps planned MoU with Kuwait on OFWs

By Arjay L. Balinbin, Reporter PRESIDENT RODRIGO R. Duterte on Sunday said he will no longer pursue the memorandum of understanding (MoU) on the protection of Filipino workers in Kuwait, following the expulsion last week of Philippine Ambassador to Kuwait Renato O. Villa. “No!” Mr. Duterte said when asked if he would still pursue the […] The post Duterte scraps planned MoU with Kuwait on OFWs appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 29th, 2018

Duterte leaves ‘endo’ promise up to Congress

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte is no longer keen on issuing an executive order (EO) to fulfill a campaign promise to ban the labor practice of “endo,” administration officials said. The statement came a few days after Palace spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said the EO addressing endo would be signed by Duterte on or before May 1, [...] The post Duterte leaves ‘endo’ promise up to Congress appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsApr 20th, 2018

Duterte mulls Kuwait visit

President Rodrigo Duterte “might” visit Kuwait if his conditions seeking to ensure the protection and welfare of Filipino workers there are met and carried out, Palace spokesman Harry Roque said on Wednesday. The conditions include passports of all OFWs should no longer be confiscated by their employers, the OFWs must….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsApr 5th, 2018

PH officials off to Kuwait to seek better OFWs protection

Philippine officials are headed to Kuwait on Thursday to seek better protection for migrant workers after a diplomatic row over the alleged mistreatment of Filipinos in the Gulf state.   Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello told reporters on Wednesday that one of his deputies would lead the delegation, and that the officials would also stop in Saudia Arabia and Qatar to urge reforms.   Philippine officials are expected to primarily demand during the visit that Filipino workers be allowed to keep their cellphones and passports, which can be confiscated by employers.   The Kuwait trip comes after President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered a total deployment ban o...Keep on reading: PH officials off to Kuwait to seek better OFWs protection.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 21st, 2018

Duterte to Lucio Tan: ‘I’m going to forever shut up’ on past tax liabilities

President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday cleared business tycoon Lucio Tan of his past tax liabilities, saying he would "forever shut up" on the subject. His statement came after Tan, chairman and chief executive officer of Philippine Airlines (PAL), offered an additional plane to fly home repatriated overseas Filipino workers (OFW) from Kuwait. "Mr. Lucio Tan, I'm going to shut up forever," Duterte said in his speech welcoming 150 distressed OFWs at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) in Pasay City. "Wala ka na marinig sa akin na salita na di ka nagbayad." [You will no longer hear me mention that you did not pay.] The President was referring to PAL's P6 billion in ...Keep on reading: Duterte to Lucio Tan: ‘I’m going to forever shut up’ on past tax liabilities.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 13th, 2018

Duterte Likely to Visit Kuwait

President Rodrigo Duterte may likely visit Kuwait soon following his recent meeting with Kuwaiti Ambassador to the Philippines Saleh Ahmad Althwaikh, Malacanang said Thursday. “Since the President mentioned it, then I can make confirmation although I was told that I should not. But there is a trip in the offing to Kuwait,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsFeb 8th, 2018

Duterte says he s not keen on extending his term

MANILA, Philippines - His recent statements about declaring a revolutionary government do not mean he wants to extend his term, said President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday, October 17, during a speech in Camarines Sur. "Some are saying I want to have a revolutionary government because I want to stay longer. ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 17th, 2017

Solons want Duterte to fire four ERC commissioners

Lawmakers on Monday said President Rodrigo Duterte should fire the four commissioners of the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) who were suspended by the Office the Ombudsman for the second time in six months due to alleged misuse of bill deposits. Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Zarate, in a press briefing, said the President should no longer wait for ERC Commissioners Gloria Victoria Yap-Taruc, Alfredo Non, Josefina Patricia Asirit and Geronimo Sta. Ana to resign. "Gaya nung ginawa nila nung sinuspinde sila for one year, tatakbo na naman sila sa Korte Suprema. Kaya ang hamon natin kay pangulong Duterte ay tanggalin na itong mga commissioners na ito. Huwag nang hintayin pa na sila ay mag-r...Keep on reading: Solons want Duterte to fire four ERC commissioners.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 20th, 2018

How to spend the night glamping at Disney’s Pandora

"Avatar" fans are being offered the unique opportunity to spend the night slumbering under the floating mountains of Pandora, in a luxury tent. The glamping experience is part of a four-day, three-night package that will be awarded to the contest entrant who can best convince the judges that they deserve an escape to Disney's "happy place" more than anyone else. Entries must be in video format and no longer than two minutes. The package includes round-trip airfare and accommodations and a gift card to use at the park. Along with VIP access to the "Pandora - The World of Avatar" at Disney's Animal Kingdom in Orlando, Florida, guests will also be guided in a special biolumi...Keep on reading: How to spend the night glamping at Disney’s Pandora.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 19th, 2018

No more third-party facilitator in peace talks with Reds – Palace

Published: 12:53 p.m., June 18, 2018 | Updated: 10:13 p.m., June 18, 2018 Malacaang no longer sees the need to have a third-party facilitator in the peace talks between the government and communist rebels. Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque made this statement as he confirmed that President Rorigo Duterte wanted the peace talks to be held in the Philippines instead of Norway, the third-party facilitator between the peace negotiations government and communists. "Hindi naman po kinakailangan pa na mangibang-bayan para makipag-usap para sa kapayapaan lamang dahil tayo naman pong lahat ay Pilipino," Roque said in a Palace briefing on Monday. Asked who would facilitate the pe...Keep on reading: No more third-party facilitator in peace talks with Reds – Palace.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 18th, 2018

Duterte not keen on addressing poverty felt by Filipinos, group says

The recent admission made by President Rodrigo Duterte saying that the country would never achieve rice self-sufficiency is a clear admission that attainment of rice self-sufficiency and food security is not in the economic agenda of the present administration......»»

Category: newsSource:  davaotodayRelated NewsJun 16th, 2018

As Saudis wilt on field, kingdom pursues soccer power grab

By Rob Harris, Associated Press MOSCOW (AP) — The Saudis have ambitions to seize control over parts of international soccer. Losing 5-0 by Russia in the World Cup opener shows they might have bigger problems at home. Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman had to endure the humiliation in the stadium on Thursday, with Saudi Arabia's mauling in Moscow coming at the hands of a side just below the Saudis in the FIFA rankings. Coach Juan Antonio Pizzi studiously sidestepped a question about whether his federation had been distracted lately. But it has. Just when the Saudis had a first World Cup appearance in 12 years to prepare for, the federation has been mounting a power grab of soccer far beyond the kingdom. What appears the creation of just another bureaucratic institution within the sport could actually have wider ramifications. On its face, the establishment of the South West Asian Football Federation by the Saudis, including the United Arab Emirates and Pakistan, to help to develop the game appears a benevolent undertaking, especially when the existing regional governing body is so vast. "Football is about growth and if you don't grow economically, socially, technically, you will not be moving," Saudi federation president Adel Ezzat told The Associated Press. "It's not enough for us to be in the World Cup. "We have a vision that an Asian country will win the World Cup one day, but there must be a start for that. Football is underdeveloped in many areas in Asia." Is the Asian Football Confederation to blame? "Ambitions have to be higher than winning the Asian Cup," Ezzat said. Confederation president Sheikh Salman, a Bahraini, said he "had no objection to the creation of SWAFF as long as it remains as a football body outside of the AFC's zonal structure." Scratch deeper below the surface and the true objectives of the new body seem a little cloudy. It is unclear why SWAFF is required when there are already regional offshoots of the AFC, including the West Asian Football Federation, which is led by Jordan's Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein who resisted an attempt by the Saudis to seize power of his organization before the new regional force emerged. "It will help Asia and it will help FIFA," Ezzat told The Associated Press. "We don't see anything wrong creating that connection between the south and the west. Football needs to grow." Ezzat maintained that SWAFF had followed the right legal steps to avoid breaching the rules of world football's governing body. Ezzat said FIFA governance committee head Mukul Mudgal had been dispatched by FIFA President Gianni Infantino to the SWAFF meeting on May 31 in Jeddah. The Indian judge denied he was in attendance. SWAFF said the founding members also include Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bahrain, Maldives, Yemen, Oman and Kuwait. Oman Football Association General Secretary Said Othman Al Bulushi told the AP his nation was waiting to assess the statutes and legality of the body within FIFA before confirming its membership. The entire Gulf is not in SWAFF. Take a look at the map and three countries in particular are missing: Iran, Qatar and Yemen. "It's not about the geographic map," Saudi federation president Adel Ezzat said. "It's about zones." Could it also be about politics? For three years, a Saudi-led coalition has been trying to drive out Iranian-aligned Shiite rebels known as Houthis from Yemen to break the civil war in the Arab world's poorest nation and restore the exiled government. Across the Gulf, the Saudis are part of a quartet, including the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain, which has spent the last year putting the squeeze on Qatar. Diplomatic ties with the energy-rich country have been severed amid allegations that Qatar supports extremist groups in the region, which Doha denies. The Qataris, though, have plowed ahead with preparations to host an event that will put them at the center of the world's attention: the next World Cup in 2022. Ezzat won't discuss Qatar, or the 2022 World Cup. Turki Al-Sheikh, head of Saudi Arabia's General Sports Authority, has been less circumspect, demanding earlier this year that Qatar be stripped of the hosting rights if corruption around its bid was proven. For now, in Saudi sights is Qatar's flagship sports network, which owns exclusive Middle East and North African rights to the World Cup. The BeIN Sports coverage of the Russia World Cup opener was watched across Saudi Arabia — but on a pirate channel. The beoutQ signal is transmitted by a Riyadh-based satellite provider, whose largest shareholder is the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Still, the BeIN coverage was seized on by Al-Sheikh to threaten legal action against the network for "wrongdoings against KSA, its sports and officials, and for exploiting sports to achieve political goals." In a tweet, Al-Sheikh added Friday that this "proves Saudi authorities' true stance when banning this network from airing on its soil." Soccer's world body, though, is finally intervening. FIFA said it is "exploring all options to stop the infringement of its rights, including in relation to action against legitimate organizations that are seen to support such illegal activities." What FIFA would not say is whether Infantino raised Qatar's concerns when he watched the opener in the Luzhniki Stadium alongside the Saudi crown prince. Infantino has been a keen visitor to Saudi Arabia over the last year, including meeting King Salman, as intrigue has swirled about the country's role in a consortium's plans to underwrite $25 billion to launch a vastly expanded Club World Cup and an international Nations League. "He knows for a fact the importance of Saudi Arabia in the region," Ezzat said. "That's why I believe he is paying a lot of attention to Saudi Arabia. ... That's a very important sign. (FIFA) know this country can play a very important role in the development of football." Infantino, though, said he believed the backing for the new competitions was "not part of a wider Saudi sports grab." The proposals have stalled because of opposition within the council to Infantino's secrecy over the financial backers. Growing football is part of a sweeping "Vision 2030" plan to wean Saudi Arabia off its near-total dependence on oil money. Prince Mohammed is trying to push Saudi Arabia to become a more cosmopolitan nation that appeals to international investors. Ezzat wants to create new soccer competitions under the auspices of SWAFF and invite countries to participate from beyond the region — particularly Europe. "The country is going through an important change," Ezzat said. "Football can be a catalyst for change. The FIFA president I'm sure knows this very well. ... My country can play an important role in football." Just not the Saudi national team at the moment......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 16th, 2018

I’d die from long-haul flights now—Duterte

If he were to have his way, President Duterte would rather not take long-haul flights as he hates traveling, or so he says.   In a speech in Sta. Rosa City before elected barangay captains in Southern Luzon, Mr. Duterte said that at his age---73---he could no longer bear to sit for excessively long periods during flights.   "I, at my age, cannot manage a long-haul flight---13 hours, 16 hours, I'd die from that. That's why I don't want to [take long flights] anymore," the President said on Thursday.---JULIE M. AURELIO  ...Keep on reading: I’d die from long-haul flights now—Duterte.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 16th, 2018

Duterte athletes’ last hope

GOMEZ ON ASIAD TRIP The possibility of the Philippines’ non-participation in the coming 18th Asian Games is imminent and real yesterday said Asiad chief of mission Richard Gomez. Gomez, also the Ormoc City mayor and national fencing association head, called on President Rodrigo Duterte to step into the fund deadlock between the Philippine Sports Commission […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJun 15th, 2018

Dureza: June 28 resumption of peace talks with NDF reset

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 14 June) — The supposed resumption of the fifth round of formal peace talks between government (GRP) and National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) will no longer push through on June 28, after President Rodrigo Duterte instructed his peace panel on Wednesday to engage the “bigger table” first before they […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsJun 14th, 2018