Advertisements


Duterte: I need China

MANILA, Philippines – Before departing for China to attend the Boao Forum for Asia , President Rodrigo Duterte declared he "needs" Beijing to back his administration's priority programs. "I would say, I need China more than anybody else at this time of our national life. I need China. I will not ........»»

Category: newsSource: rappler rapplerApr 9th, 2018

More foreign players join third telco contest

Two foreign players, including the Chinese firm said last year to be preferred by President Rodrigo Duterte, have joined the race to become the Philippines’ third major telco. Selection documents have been purchased by China Telecommunications Corp. and Austria’s Mobiltel Holding GmbH, who join Norway’s Telenor Group and five domestic firms that earlier this week… link: More foreign players join third telco contest.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsOct 13th, 2018

China Telecom, PT& T eye 3rd telco bid

MANILA, Philippines – The Chinese company which was earlier touted to be preferred by President Rodrigo Duterte to be the country's 3rd major telecommunications player formalized its intent to bid, the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) announced on Friday, October 12. China Telecom was ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 12th, 2018

More foreign players join third telco contest

Two foreign players, including the Chinese firm said last year to be preferred by President Rodrigo Duterte, have joined the race to become the Philippines’ third major telco. Selection documents have been purchased by China Telecommunications Corp. and Austria’s Mobiltel Holding GmbH, who join Norway’s Telenor Group and five domestic firms that earlier this week [...] The post More foreign players join third telco contest appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsOct 12th, 2018

US-PH war exercise worries China

  China has raised concerns about a joint US-Philippine military exercise that coincides with the visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping to the country in November, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said on Tuesday.   Roque said Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Zhao Jianhua raised the concern in a meeting with President Rodrigo Duterte in Malacaang on Monday.   Zhao called on the President to discuss Xi's visit.   "China of course expressed concern over a naval, a military, exercise that the United States will be conducting in the area about the same time that the Chinese president will be in the Philippines," Roque said.   ...Keep on reading: US-PH war exercise worries China.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 10th, 2018

'PHVote2019, Federalism draft, Padre Pio | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler: President Rodrigo Duterte says Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano will run as Taguig Representative in the 2019 elections. President Rodrigo Duterte assures Chinese Ambassador Zhao Jianhua the Philippines will not take part in U.S. military exercises in the South China Sea in November. Top Senate leaders reject the draft charter of ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 10th, 2018

Under construction: How the Philippines’ projects with China are progressing

President Rodrigo Duterte has secured several loan agreements on different infrastructure initiatives with China two years ago, visited it more than any other country during his term and shifted foreign policy focus towards the Asian giant. The new chapter in the country’s relationship with one of the world’s most powerful economies, however, has not yet […] The post Under construction: How the Philippines’ projects with China are progressing appeared first on Interaksyon......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsOct 10th, 2018

Carpio: Out of ICC, PH helpless vs China

Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio warned that the Philippines would be giving up a "very strong" legal deterrent against a possible China invasion of the West Philippine Sea if it withdrew from the International Criminal Court (ICC). At the last round of oral arguments on Tuesday, Carpio listed the implications of President Rodrigo Duterte's order in March to pull out from the international treaty creating the ICC on the maritime dispute with China. Carpio told Solicitor General Jose Calida in open court that the Philippines could sue China's leaders, led by President Xi Jinping, at the ICC for alleged crimes against humanity should China invade Philippine-occup...Keep on reading: Carpio: Out of ICC, PH helpless vs China.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 9th, 2018

Duterte to China: We won t join U.S. exercises

Duterte to China: We won t join U.S. exercises.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  pepRelated NewsOct 9th, 2018

Justice Carpio: Leaving the ICC will weaken Philippine stance vs China

MANILA, Philippines – Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio is pushing the envelope when it comes to challenging the policies of President Rodrigo Duterte. Carpio said on Tuesday, October 9, that Duterte’s unilateral withdrawal from the International Criminal Court (ICC) will weaken the Philippines’ position against ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 9th, 2018

Under construction: How Chinese-funded infrastructure projects are progressing

Despite President Rodrigo Duterte securing several loan agreements on different infrastructure initiatives with China two years ago, the agreement has not yet resulted in a completed project. Duterte in October 2016 visited Chinese President Xi Jinping and signed more than ten agreements on infrastructure projects in an effort to boost the countries’ bilateral relationships with each […] The post Under construction: How Chinese-funded infrastructure projects are progressing appeared first on Interaksyon......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsOct 9th, 2018

China-led naval drills not an act of benevolence, says Alejano

The Philippines' participation in drills with the Chinese navy and Southeast Asian militaries is another pro-China policy under the Duterte administration, Rep. Gary Alejano (Magdalo) said Tuesday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 9th, 2018

Regions Briefs: Oct. 9, 2018

China gives P150M for classrooms   DAVAO CITY --- This city appeared to be reaping the windfall from President Rodrigo Duterte's pivot to China.   The Chinese government has donated P150 million to a nongovernment organization (NGO) founded by Mayor Sara Duterte, the President's daughter, for the construction of more classrooms.   The donation was China's way of committing support for education, said a statement by Mayor Duterte's NGO, Tapang at Malasakit Alliance (TMA).   Funds released by the Chinese Embassy in Manila were sent to TMA to build 13 classrooms in some of the city's public schools, according to TMA.   Mayor Duterte, in...Keep on reading: Regions Briefs: Oct. 9, 2018.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 8th, 2018

Mid-term project

The announced state visit to the Philippines of China’s President Xi Jinping will likely happen this November. In his message on the occasion of the 149th National Day of China last week, President Rodrigo Duterte stated he is looking forward to the forthcoming reciprocal visit of the Chinese leader in Manila......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 8th, 2018

Oil prices as excuse for China deal hit

The Duterte administration should refrain from using soaring oil prices as an excuse to enter into a joint oil exploration deal with China in the West Philippine Sea (WPS), according to Magdalo Rep. Gary Alejano. Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque has said Malacaang is working on the terms of the deal, which may be signed as a welcome gift to Chinese President Xi Jinping when he visits Manila next month. "The Duterte administration is making it look like the only option for us to control oil prices is through the proposed joint exploration with China," Alejano said in a statement. "They have been using all kinds of justifications," he said. Not a solution Entering into ...Keep on reading: Oil prices as excuse for China deal hit.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 7th, 2018

Palace explains Duterte didn’t link Chinese Ambassador to ‘drug lord’

  Malacaangon Fridayclarified that President Rodrigo Duterte did not link a suspected drug pusher and user to Chinese Ambassador Zhao Jianhua during a speech in the Palace. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque made the clarifications after some "false" media reports were allegedly cited by international news agencies, which he feared could affect the bilateral relations of the Philippines and China. Roque, during a Palace briefing, even played the video of Duterte's speech where he claimed that Michael Yang, a Davao-based businessman, was not into the illegal drug trade. "I think it's very clear what the President want to say is: number one he cannot believe that Michael Ya...Keep on reading: Palace explains Duterte didn’t link Chinese Ambassador to ‘drug lord’.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 5th, 2018

Philippine Navy vessel makes historic visit to Russia

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine Navy vessel BRP Tarlac made a historic port call to Vladivostok, Russia, on Monday, October 1, as the Philippines moves closer to Russia and China under President Rodrigo Duterte.  BRP Tarlac's port visit to Russia is scheduled from Monday to Saturday, October ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 1st, 2018

Duterte writes to Xi: I hope our friendship will lead to stronger partnership

Extending his greetings on China's 69th founding anniversary, President Rodrigo Duterte told Chinese President Xi Jinping that their recent interactions have "borne much fruit.".....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 1st, 2018

Who’s the real ‘threat’ – Opposition or China?

To convince people of a “destabilization plot” against it the Duterte Administration must file appropriate charges. Prosecuting real baddies beats press releases......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 27th, 2018

China to donate bridge worth P1.5B in Davao City

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 25 Sep) – The Chinese government will donate a major bridge worth P1.5 billion in Davao City, the hometown of President Rodrigo R. Duterte where he served as mayor for 22 years, as a gesture of goodwill for its ally, an official of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsSep 25th, 2018

Trillanes eyes President’s son as hostile witness in drug probe

Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV on Sunday said Paolo Duterte's filing libel charges against him had given him a chance to call the son of President Rodrigo Duterte as a hostile witness in a Senate drug smuggling inquiry. A hostile witness is someone who is called to an investigation but refuses to tell the truth. In a statement, Trillanes said Paolo Duterte's legal actions would enable him to pressure the resigned vice mayor of Davao City to open his bank accounts. Duterte has filed libel charges against Trillanes for linking him to the smuggling into the Philippines of "shabu" (crystal meth) worth P6.4 billion from China and for alleging that he and his brother-in-law, lawyer Manases...Keep on reading: Trillanes eyes President’s son as hostile witness in drug probe.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 23rd, 2018