Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




‘I think it was Russia’ – CNN News

President-elect Donald Trump said for the first time Wednesday he believes Russia was responsible for hacking ahead of the election but contemptuously rejected allegations that Moscow mounted a campaign to compromise him. In his first news conference since winning the election, a combative Trump made clear he will not mute his style when he is inaugurated in nine days. He lashed out at media and political foes alike in a bravura performance. The Trump Tower press conference confirmed the President-elect's deep desire to quickly assert power once he's sworn in. He insisted on moving speedily &'8212; too speedily for some Republicans in Congress &'8212; to replace Obamacare. He also pledged swift action on building a wall along the border with Mexico and nominating a new Supreme Court justice. But it's also clear Trump will take office amid persistent questions about his relationship with Russia. While Trump was at the podium, his nominee to become secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, faced tough questions on Capitol Hill about whether the incoming administration will view Russia with sufficient skepticism. At the news conference, Trump finally conceded he believes Russian President Vladimir Putin's intelligence agencies were behind hacks on Democratic computers ahead of the election but argued that wouldn't happen again. &'8220;I think it was Russia,&'8221; Trump said. Putin &'8220;should not be doing it. He won't be doing it. Russia will have much greater respect for our country when I am leading it than when other people have led it.&'8221; Trump, who has vowed to improve relations with Russia despite some Republican opposition, said he did not know if he would get along with Putin and noted it's possible he won't. But he could not resist a swipe at his defeated Democratic election rival, Hillary Clinton. &'8220;Do you honestly believe Hillary would be tougher on Putin than me?&'8221; he asked. He added that Russia is not the only nation that hacks US targets and accused Democrats of not having sufficient cybersecurity programs. The news conference opened with the incoming White House press secretary, Sean Spicer, slamming a &'8220;political witch hunt&'8221; following reports that Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information about Trump. Vice President-elect Mike Pence also criticized the media before introducing Trump, who kept up his criticism of US intelligence. &'8220;I must say that I want to thank a lot of the news organizations here today because they looked at that nonsense that was released by maybe the intelligence agencies,&'8221; Trump said. He said any such move by the agencies would be a &'8220;tremendous blot on their record.&'8221; &'8220;A thing like that should never have been written, it should never have been had and it certainly should have never been released,&'8221; Trump said. The news conference follows exclusive reporting by CNN on Tuesday that classified documents presented last week to President Barack Obama and Trump included the allegations about Russia. The allegations were presented in a two-page synopsis that was appended to a report on Russian interference in the 2016 election and drew in part from memos compiled by a former British intelligence operative, whose past work US intelligence officials consider credible. Intel chiefs presented Trump with claims of Russian efforts to compromise him 01:38 The FBI is investigating the credibility and accuracy of these allegations, which are based primarily on information from Russian sources, but has not confirmed many essential details in the memos about Trump. The news conference, delayed from December, was scheduled for Trump to outline how he will address questions about possible conflicts-of-interest related to his vast business empire. Trump appeared beside a large pile of files he claimed were pertinent to the companies that are going to be placed in a trust to be run by his sons. He reiterated that he doesn't plan to release his tax returns, saying they are under audit and don't include relevant information After taking a handful of questions, Trump turned the event over to Sheri Dillon, an attorney who was on hand to discuss Trump's business interests. She said Trump planned to put in place a structure that will &'8220;completely isolate him from the management of the company.&'8221; &'8220;He further instructed that we build in protections that will assure the American people that the decisions that he makes and the actions he takes as President are for their benefit and not to support his financial interests,&'8221; she said. Trump will place all his financial and business assets in a trust, Dillon said. The Trump Organization, meanwhile, will not enter into any new deals abroad and all domestic deals will be subject to a heavy vetting process. The firm will also appoint a new ethics officer, she said. The President-elect has also terminated a number of deals set to close shortly, a step that had cost him millions of dollars, she said. Dillon argued that the decision had been made not to put all Trump's assets in a blind trust or to divest of all his assets because it would be impractical. She also said that Trump should not be forced to destroy the business that he had built up. &'8220;President Trump can't unknow he owns Trump Tower,&'8221; Dillon said, explaining why a blind trust would not be a workable solution to addressing conflicts of interest issues while he is President. Dillon said Trump would take other actions to avoid the appearance of a conflict over the Emoluments Clause [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsJan 12th, 2017

Finance: OFW bank seen in place by Q3 2017

THE GOVERNMENT'S planned bank for overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), which was promised by President Rodrigo R. Duterte during his presidential campaign, is targeted to be operational by Sept. 1, 2017, pending the necessary regulatory approvals, officials .....»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsDec 20th, 2016

Campaign Finance Office in drift, headless:P334M from only 13 donors funded Duterte’s presidency

By Karol Ilagan and Malou Mangahas Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism THE IMAGE Rodrigo R. Duterte projected of his 2016 presidential campaign was that it was one run on a shoestring budget. It supposedly had no donors with vested interests, a.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsDec 7th, 2016

Campaign finance in May 2016: Donors, Inc.: Only 830 Filipinos bankrolled poll bid of 5 prez bets

By The Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism IN 2010, PCIJ reported that only 308 donors contributed in the presidential race that Benigno Aquino III won. In the last presidential elections, where Rodrigo R. Duterte emerged as victor, that number.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsDec 7th, 2016

Campaign Finance Office in drift, headless:P334M from only 13 donors funded Duterte’s presidency

By Karol Ilagan and Malou Mangahas Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism THE IMAGE Rodrigo R. Duterte projected of his 2016 presidential campaign was that it was one run on a shoestring budget. It supposedly had no donors with vested interests, a.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsDec 5th, 2016

Campaign finance in May 2016: Donors, Inc.: Only 830 Filipinos bankrolled poll bid of 5 prez bets

By The Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism IN 2010, PCIJ reported that only 308 donors contributed in the presidential race that Benigno Aquino III won. In the last presidential elections, where Rodrigo R. Duterte emerged as victor, that number.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsDec 5th, 2016

Palace to officially unveil Freedom of Information

AFTER 120 days of preparation, Malacanang will officially roll out today, Friday, its Freedom of Information (FOI) that would boost the anti-corruption campaign of President Duterte. Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Assistant Secretary for Police .....»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsNov 24th, 2016

Duterte campaign spokesperson appointed NIA administrator

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 15 Nov) – Peter T. Laviña, a former city councilor here and spokesperson of the campaign team of then presidential candidate and now President Rodrigo R. Duterte, has been appointed as new administrator of the National Ir.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsNov 15th, 2016

Pinoys would just have to live with it

President Duterte has made no secret about his use of foul language even during the campaign and still managed to win voters’ support despite his vulgar remarks, according to Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsSep 25th, 2016

Contentious ‘endoc’ issue

Ending the controversial end-of-contract system employed by many companies to cut down on operating cost is one of the changes promised by President Duterte during his presidential campaign. Stopping altogether the scheme, often called endocs, however, wi.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 22nd, 2016

Trump, Clinton clash after attacks

WASHINGTON, D.C.: A rash of attacks on US soil has put national security center stage in the presidential campaign, with Hillary Clinton seeking to show a steady hand and Donald Trump saying America needed to be tougher on terror and immigration. The star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 20th, 2016

Panelo: Black propaganda not enough to stop Duterte’s war on illegal drugs

Presidential chief legal counsel Salvador Panelo on Friday stressed that no amount of black propaganda will stop President Rodrigo R. Duterte's no-nonsense campaign against illegal drugs and terrorism......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsSep 16th, 2016

Duterte picks presidential protocol officer as envoy to US - Philippine Star

Duterte picks presidential protocol officer as envoy to US - Philippine Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsAug 29th, 2016

Duterte picks presidential protocol officer as envoy to US

Duterte picks presidential protocol officer as envoy to US.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 29th, 2016

Aquino appointees given a week to tender resignation

Malacañang on Monday gave all presidential appointees seven days to submit their courtesy resignations to give President Rodrigo R. Duterte a free hand in his effort to rid the bureaucracy of corruption. The Office of the President issued the directive.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 22nd, 2016

Duterte reports gains in first 50 days in office

Moving away from the traditional 100-day milestone celebration, the Presidential Communications Office has prepared an activity entitled “'50FirstDays” to showcase the President’s achievements from the strong campaign against illegal dr.....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsAug 17th, 2016

War vs illegal drugs getting out of hand – De Lima

DAGUPAN CITY, Philippines – The anti-illegal drug campaign of President Duterte is getting out of hand, and the public should not simply turn a blind eye to.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 6th, 2016

SILING LABUYO: Rookie mistakes or incompetence?

During the presidential campaign period, candidate Rody Duterte made promises many people knew he could not possibly deliver. Among them were solving the drug problem/criminality in 3-6 months, doubling the salary of the military and the police, upping th.....»»

Category: newsSource:  bicolmailRelated NewsJul 29th, 2016

SILING LABUTO: Rookie mistakes or incompetence?

During the presidential campaign period, candidate Rody Duterte made promises many people knew he could not possibly deliver. Among them were solving the drug problem/criminality in 3-6 months, doubling the salary of the military and the police, upping th.....»»

Category: newsSource:  bicolmailRelated NewsJul 28th, 2016

Mayor Sara naospital (Hindi nakadalo sa SONA)

HINDI nakadalo si presidential daughter at Davao City Mayor Inday Sara Duterte sa kauna-unahang State of the Nation Address (SONA) ng kanyang ama na si Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte. Sa pahayag ni Jefry M. Tupas, Davao City Information Officer, pagdating ni S.....»»

Category: filipinoSource:  hatawtabloidRelated NewsJul 26th, 2016